Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody have an Anbernic 353P? I have a 351MP and I really wanted to like it, but I'm not crazy about the weight and form factor. The 353P looks like it'll fit the bill, and I like that it's dual-boot. I'm not looking for anything beyond PS1 performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
For someone most interested in SNES what's the best cheaper option out there right now? I figure since most stuff talks about later gen consoles this should be an easy target.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depending on your preference on form factor and such, there are multiple answers

I bought an rg300 and it has been extremely frustrating, unable to properly emulate donkey kong country 2 well, and lately has been crashing to desktop while i have been playing crono trigger. I have a powkiddy x55 on the way to replace it, which most folks seem to be saying is one of the best 2023 releases that are inexpensive

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grundma posted:

For someone most interested in SNES what's the best cheaper option out there right now? I figure since most stuff talks about later gen consoles this should be an easy target.

Basically everything will play SNES games so it's more about personal preference. Form factor, screen size, etc. I like the Miyoo Mini Plus but also it's more of a gameboy shape, for instance.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I got my Odin 1 Pro a few days ago. I just got it to play Xbox and Moonlight remote play. Its just the perfect aesthetic, bezel size, weight and screen size for me (in that order, I can't play on ugly consoles). Really didn't expect to emulate anything more than the PS2. I also got a Snapdragon 870 tablet at the same time. Thought I would try the new version of Switch emulator Yuzu. Tried different setting and different adreno drivers, turned off everything and render at x0.5 resolution, games still ran like poo poo.

Today stumbled on a Odin Yuzu setup video, it turned out under the right driver, game actually works. I don't even have to turn off v-sync and AA. Tried A Short Hike and Untitled Goose Game, both playable. I spent an hour played A Short Hike to the "end" to just make sure the game work. Totally playable. I even won the stick ball mini game, this is batter than the lag on remote play.

I think I will try more Switch turn based RPG on it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Grundma posted:

RGB30 will scale up to a huge crisp image if you render in 8:7 and it looks awesome. Miyoo Mini is cheaper, and the screen is smaller but still good

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I really love the RGB30, the screen is so good for a surprising number of systems. But I’d have reservations recommending it to anyone new to this hobby because of the (supposed) QC issues. Although maybe it’s just a vocal minority - I’ve bought two (different colours, sold one again for a profit) and they’ve both been fine. If you get a good one it’s the best all-rounder of the cheaper end handhelds IMO, about all it can’t do well is widescreen/PSP.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

shyduck posted:

Anybody have an Anbernic 353P? I have a 351MP and I really wanted to like it, but I'm not crazy about the weight and form factor. The 353P looks like it'll fit the bill, and I like that it's dual-boot. I'm not looking for anything beyond PS1 performance.

It's pretty good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I returned my Retroid 2S. Ultimately because of the defective stick (I've seen a few similar reports; maybe bad QA on the hall sticks?), but I also wasn't happy with the screen. It looked fine, but just too small for my liking.

480p games look great on it, though, and a lot of what I tried played quite well. I wouldn't want to play a 3D action game on a device like this but Persona 3 FES, Wild Arms 3, Devil Summoner: Raidou all seemed to run decently (I didn't test for long, though).

If it had a 4" screen I might have kept it even with the defective stick, because everything else about the device felt really good (though the setup was even more work than I expected).

The experience has me looking forward to the Pocket 4 reveal, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

well based on you wanting a bigger screen, among the less expensive handhelds(200 and under) the best choices among extant devices would probably be either the Retroid Pocket Flip(4.7 inch screen, 1334x750) on the more pricy side or the Powkiddy RGB30(4 inch screen, 720x720) on the budget end, most of the other devices I can think of with displays of 4 inches or bigger either have various flaws(like most of Anbernic's devices that enter that size range) or hit over the 200 dollar range and once you go there it starts going into "might as well just go for a Steam Deck"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I don’t want to spend too much, but the 2S convinced me the screen isn’t something I should compromise on. The RGB30 was what I was initially choosing between. I went with the 2S because of the extra power and build quality concerns, but I was worried about the screen size from the start.

And now that I’ve had a taste of it, I would like a machine that can play PS2 games at least as well as the 2S. There’s a few devices that fit the bill, but I’m in no rush, especially since I’d be spending more than I had initially planned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just an fyi, if you want a decent shock-proof case for the Miyoo Mini+ this is what I use:

AGPTEK EVA Waterproof Hard Drive Case for RAVPower FileHub Western Digital WD Elements My Passport Canvio Basics Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 2TB USB 3.0, Portable 2.5" External Hard Drive Travel Bag https://a.co/d/a9HxmY1

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Way I see it going above Dreamcast/Saturn/PSP/N64/DS tier of emulation* on these kind of handhelds is honestly more of an overkill gimmick than anything that should be aimed for with any real degree of seriousness unless you're going for a Steam Deck or similar level device and honestly should just be left for doing on a PC with a full size screen rather than a handheld, for one thing most of the 6th generation and onward systems(aside from those that are natively handheld) just aren't meant to be played on screens this small and remain playable

*so GameCube, Wii, PS2, 3DS, and to a lesser extent PS3, WiiU, and Switch emulation

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is it though? There are plenty of slower paced PS2 games that are a good fit for a handheld (e.g., like Wild Arms 3 or a hundred other jrpgs). 3DS has the screen problem, but there’s probably some games I wouldn’t mind playing with screen switching.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

PS2, Gamecube, and Wii are all standard def and don't really benefit from a higher resolution than 640x480 except for upscaling.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I don’t want to spend too much, but the 2S convinced me the screen isn’t something I should compromise on. The RGB30 was what I was initially choosing between. I went with the 2S because of the extra power and build quality concerns, but I was worried about the screen size from the start.

And now that I’ve had a taste of it, I would like a machine that can play PS2 games at least as well as the 2S. There’s a few devices that fit the bill, but I’m in no rush, especially since I’d be spending more than I had initially planned.

2S is famous for being very cheap for its hardware. Both the 3+ and 405m use slightly faster soc of 2S. But they are pretty old by retro console standards so I would find a used copy. There is always used Odin lite/Pro you can find for around 170. A big jump in power and physical size.

You would think there should be more devices slotted between the 3s/405m class and the Odin class, but IMO they are not worth it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Rinkles posted:

I got the Anbernic RG505 and it's pretty awesome. Gamecube runs pretty well out of the box. PS2 is a little tougher.....but the Aethersx2 emulator offers a lot of performance tweaks that make a lot of games very playable.

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it going above Dreamcast/Saturn/PSP/N64/DS tier of emulation* on these kind of handhelds is honestly more of an overkill gimmick than anything that should be aimed for with any real degree of seriousness unless you're going for a Steam Deck or similar level device and honestly should just be left for doing on a PC with a full size screen rather than a handheld, for one thing most of the 6th generation and onward systems(aside from those that are natively handheld) just aren't meant to be played on screens this small and remain playable

*so GameCube, Wii, PS2, 3DS, and to a lesser extent PS3, WiiU, and Switch emulation

I don't understand this take at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't understand this take at all.

I understand it perfectly.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Performance aside, what PS2 games are unplayable on a 640x480 handheld or a phone because of the screen size?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
GrimGrimoire maybe. The sprites are kinda small and might be a bit too busy

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

pig labeled 3 posted:

Performance aside, what PS2 games are unplayable on a 640x480 handheld or a phone because of the screen size?

The correct answer is that there are very few.....if any that I can think of.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think PS2 games were made with standard-definition televisions in mind. It's probably the console generation afterwards where things got trickier. See: the infamous case of Dead Rising on Xbox 360 having a small, unreadable font on non-HD TVs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mierenneuker posted:

I think PS2 games were made with standard-definition televisions in mind. It's probably the console generation afterwards where things got trickier. See: the infamous case of Dead Rising on Xbox 360 having a small, unreadable font on non-HD TVs.
Hell, tons of games nowadays are oblivious to how tiny their text looks when seated across the room. Too many programmers sitting 2 feet from their computer monitors get used to that level of readability.
Even in games that offer a "large text" option, sometimes it only applies to subtitles and not any other aspect of the UI. Final Fantasy XVI had the smallest interface text I've ever seen in a game for your ability hotkeys on the side of the screen.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
if there's one system not meant to be played on a small screen it's the switch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got asked what I want for Christmas, and have been checking out handheld video reviews on Youtube for about a week or so to help me decide and am currently looking at the Retroid Pocket 3+ as the way to go.

Hoping to spend a little extra to get the purple shell with some replacement parts. Did a quick mock-up of , so I'd love to end up with something like this

If I can't swing the RP3+, I had also been looking at the Powkiddy X55 and behind that the RGB30.
Think they're both really good systems for different reasons, just at a bit of a lower price point.

Thinking spending a little bit extra to get the RP3+ is the way to go and gets me further into the harder to emulate systems.
Being able to use HDMI out + game streaming is also a huge boon, even if the max res out is only 720p

Anyone know of any discount codes that work during the current sale for Retroid?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Retroid are teasing the Pocket 4 on Facebook to be out around Christmas.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 10, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I keep thinking about buying one of these types of things but every time I look into it like 20 new devices have come out in the past month and I just give up trying to pick one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mystes posted:

I keep thinking about buying one of these types of things but every time I look into it like 20 new devices have come out in the past month and I just give up trying to pick one

Cheap second hand steam deck is the solution

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

njsykora posted:

I think I’m going to wait until ST Patrick’s day when the retroid 7 comes out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just decide what you want to play on it and pick one that does that, there's not many huge stinkers out there these days tbh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

It’s nice of the claw hand mom to give a retroid to her one-legged son

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

Instead of trying to figure out which is the ‘best’ figure out your goal and find one that meets it. Or if you want whats best

MarcusSA posted:

Cheap second hand steam deck is the solution

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Imagine being in a country that Gabe has allowed to have the deck lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What's the 3rd party dev support like for Anbernic these days? I've heard mixed things

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I will definitely buy a Retroid 4. Give me that GC/DC/PS2 emulation.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

Just decide what you want to play on it and pick one that does that, there's not many huge stinkers out there these days tbh.

Yeah that's why I went with the Pocket, I'm happy with the GB/C/A library and don't have time for much else!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

ah poo poo here we go again

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah the PS2 launched when TVs were starting to be able to both display 4:3 and 16:9 formats. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time offered to display in either format.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

What's the 3rd party dev support like for Anbernic these days? I've heard mixed things

I think it has a lot of tinkerers and unofficial custom firmware. These people are dedicated! Arc stuff is coming already with a bunch of improvements, they don't hang about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Corb3t posted:

I will definitely buy a Retroid 4. Give me that GC/DC/PS2 emulation.

Retroid is not going to have a soc faster than the one in Odin 1 pro, just get a new/used one for 150/200. Unless the 6” screen too big for you and you have to have a 5" screen.

Retroid can't go up in power too much, they are making their next platform for both the 3s and the flip, and also cheap enough to compete with Anbernic directly at the $150 segment.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 11, 2023