Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JosefStalinator posted:

Please post your houses and workshops, I have no sense of design and rely on imitation for more efficient and aesthetically pleasing layouts in all games

The room next to the work table and assembly station is designated as a factory and contains all the machines that are allowed to be placed indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

The room next to the work table and assembly station is designated as a factory and contains all the machines that are allowed to be placed indoors.

:sickos:

More!

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I never really got around to setting up a factory, I was already swimming in extra processed materials by the time I got to the last section of the game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I, uh, never bothered to figure out how to upgrade the house.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Somehow that seems even more unhinged than my EA broken goblin tower.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How many floors can a house have?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think it's 5 + 2 more from the skills you can upgrade. Maybe one more or less?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Time to build a wizard tower and start shooing away all the bachelorettes from the top floor.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Jack Trades posted:

Time to build a wizard tower and start shooing away all the bachelorettes from the top floor.
Mine is a lighthouse: a solid stone tower with the top floor ringed with windows that all light up at night.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i swear time in this game proceeds both too fast and too slow simultaneously

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I'm on this invitation like a vampire into a blood bank

Overall house, largely inspired by a design I saw in an official Sandrock House Design contest:

Close-up of the courtyard, where you can see the entrance to the home office on the left, the main house on the right, the garden in the back behind the trees, and Heidi sighing at my architectural choices:

Home office waiting room, north and south views, where you can hang out and look at artifacts I've found and pictures of me with things I've built:

And then in the room to the north of that is the office itself:

On the house side, the main entrance is into the receiving room / party room:

The room beyond that has the kitchen behind the stairs going up:

Upstairs landing:

The room on the left from there is the play room for the kids, the Thursday night Mahjong group, and my exercise machine:

Straight ahead from the landing is the portrait hall:

The large door in the south of the portrait hall leads to the sun room:

And to the southwest is the library:

I did not include pictures of the barely furnished room to the west with 27 chests in it, even though technically it must be the most used room in the house.

Anyways, third floor landing:

Leading to the master bedroom, filled with pictures of major life events and friends:

And the baby's room off to the side of that:

I have thoughts about collecting all the rest of the artifacts that I'm missing and filling the house up more, but now that I've run out of main plot I'm far less excited about that.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm on this invitation like a vampire into a blood bank

Overall house, largely inspired by a design I saw in an official Sandrock House Design contest:

Close-up of the courtyard, where you can see the entrance to the home office on the left, the main house on the right, the garden in the back behind the trees, and Heidi sighing at my architectural choices:

Home office waiting room, north and south views, where you can hang out and look at artifacts I've found and pictures of me with things I've built:

And then in the room to the north of that is the office itself:

On the house side, the main entrance is into the receiving room / party room:

The room beyond that has the kitchen behind the stairs going up:

Upstairs landing:

The room on the left from there is the play room for the kids, the Thursday night Mahjong group, and my exercise machine:

Straight ahead from the landing is the portrait hall:

The large door in the south of the portrait hall leads to the sun room:

And to the southwest is the library:

I did not include pictures of the barely furnished room to the west with 27 chests in it, even though technically it must be the most used room in the house.

Anyways, third floor landing:

Leading to the master bedroom, filled with pictures of major life events and friends:

And the baby's room off to the side of that:

I have thoughts about collecting all the rest of the artifacts that I'm missing and filling the house up more, but now that I've run out of main plot I'm far less excited about that.
:stare:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

yeah that's how I felt too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm conflicted in how to design my house. Like, I want to make a big, cool house, but also I feel like I wouldn't really utilize it much?

And plus, if I made my giant goblin tower, I'd want to put my bed at the top, but then that means a long trek every time I wake up. It's very convenient to have my bed right near the door so I can immediately get to gettin.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I'm conflicted in how to design my house. Like, I want to make a big, cool house, but also I feel like I wouldn't really utilize it much?

And plus, if I made my giant goblin tower, I'd want to put my bed at the top, but then that means a long trek every time I wake up. It's very convenient to have my bed right near the door so I can immediately get to gettin.

You can put a door on the upper floors and just walked out and fall.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

You can put a door on the upper floors and just walked out and fall.

Yeah, and then I'll die. ;_;

Guess it's time to make a tiered house that is the Hanging Gardens of Sandrock.

Actually I haven't dove too deep into farming, is it possible to place plots on other floors of the building? Like, in portia, there were planter beds that got placed down, but so far with Sandrock it has all been digging in the dirt.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, and then I'll die. ;_;

Guess it's time to make a tiered house that is the Hanging Gardens of Sandrock.

Actually I haven't dove too deep into farming, is it possible to place plots on other floors of the building? Like, in portia, there were planter beds that got placed down, but so far with Sandrock it has all been digging in the dirt.

You can eventually designate a room as a greenhouse, which is quite convenient.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

fancy stats posted:

I never really got around to setting up a factory, I was already swimming in extra processed materials by the time I got to the last section of the game.

The only materials I have pre-stocked are the ones I get from recyclers, scrap piles and the ore refiner, everything else is made on demand. Factories are real good for that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GotLag posted:

The only materials I have pre-stocked are the ones I get from recyclers, scrap piles and the ore refiner, everything else is made on demand. Factories are real good for that.

Yeah factories making the whole chain are incredible, also being able to queue up piles of 500+ scrap and just have it get all done on it's own really make them worthwhile.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The trick with a factory is to not just queue up the end product, but to (ab)use queues to produce each stage of the production in parallel.

For example, if you tell the factory to make something that uses 3 metal plates, it will smelt all 9 ingots one after the other (depending on the metal, 24-36 hours on the game clock) and then cut all 3 plates one after the other (another 4-6 hours).

The factory allows up to 20 queues to be active at any time, so instead you should tell it to make 18 ingots in 18 queues (1-2 hours), then come back when those are done and order 3 plates in 3 queues (1.5-2 hours).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you keep a stock of intermediary products on hand, it's a little more fiddly, but it saves a shitload of time. I can knock out all my commissions before 11 AM because I rarely have to wait on machine time, only when I have to make a weapon or something that I don't already have on hand.

I usually have a giant pile of raw materials, so I keep the furnaces and recyclers going pretty much constantly, but I try to keep at least twenty or so of the intermediary crap like the various plates and planks ready to go, and seeing what I need just requires a quick scroll through the list.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

yeah, I just got into the habit of trying to have my machines fully queued up at all times early into the game, so every morning I could just pick up commissions and complete them immediately

after unlocking the magic mirror, my list of chores basically just boiled down to keeping the queues topped up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think part of what scares me away from house editing is that, last time I was messing around, I mistakenly spent huge amounts of money I couldn't afford to spend. I wish that it didn't spend anything until you were actually done, instead of seemingly making you actually spend money piece-meal on each thing.

Maybe I'm missing something? Seems like a really bad way of doing things so maybe I am.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of what scares me away from house editing is that, last time I was messing around, I mistakenly spent huge amounts of money I couldn't afford to spend. I wish that it didn't spend anything until you were actually done, instead of seemingly making you actually spend money piece-meal on each thing.

Maybe I'm missing something? Seems like a really bad way of doing things so maybe I am.

You do get refunded if you say delete a floor of your house later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what i don't like about house building is how long it takes for interior decorating. placing items is so finicky. the building layout is very fast by comparison since it consists entirely of sticking rectangles together.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

If you hit the undo button, you get what you spent back.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You get full refunds for demolishing rooms and rooftops and decorative pieces. I don't think you get anything back if you demolish a barn, coop or stable.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

You get full refunds for demolishing rooms and rooftops and decorative pieces. I don't think you get anything back if you demolish a barn, coop or stable.

Items like that just get stored, I think.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was 90 hours in before realizing you could click left stick while mounted to auto-walk/run

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Is there a "infinite" storage like the first game once you get your factory? I have like 30 boxes littered around and I want to consolidate them

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Interesting UI design choice at the bonfire dance.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You're not supposed to dance in the bonfire

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Interesting UI design choice at the bonfire dance.

I didn’t realize it was possible to dance that badly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I should probably commit to dating someone in my current playthrough, but Jane hasn't even been introduced yet so it feels wrong. It's kinda annoying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I should probably commit to dating someone in my current playthrough, but Jane hasn't even been introduced yet so it feels wrong. It's kinda annoying.

she's mid, just date someone else. also, you can date several people at the same time, it's fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the bachelors more than the bachelorettes. well, except owen. that bitch is way too clingy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Who?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Giiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaant Duuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

They decided to add a new bachelorette two thirds into the game's main story. It sucks because I wanna meet everyone before making any choices like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

They decided to add a new bachelorette two thirds into the game's main story. It sucks because I wanna meet everyone before making any choices like that

Do you want to have a girlfriend who used to be an actress and did she tell you that she used to be an actress and this situation is so much like a play she was once in, did she tell you about that play and how she used to be an actress?