Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GreenBuckanneer posted:

sick as a dog

take covid test

not covid

i had my flu and covid boosters about a month ago

:shrug:

Take multiple covid tests over days. 1 is not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Yes, this. It will be much more accurate if you get a PCR test at Walgreens or whatever.

At home antigen tests are pretty inaccurate, which is why it's recommended to do multiple tests.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Take multiple covid tests over days. 1 is not enough.

additionally, if you're just using rapid antigen tests, consider going low and slow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZotmeJHn4

if you're just swabbing toward the front of your nose, you're likely to miss poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anecdotally, swabbing the throat also helps to get a faster positive with rapid tests

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
oh no

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/mysterious-pneumonia-outbreak-china-hospitals-sick-children-b1122117.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nothing to worry about, Chief.

quote:

The outbreak could be linked to a surge in mycoplasma pneumoniae, a pathogen that causes respiratory illness among children. Symptoms include sore throat, fatigue and a slowly worsening cough that can last for weeks or months.

A surge in infections caused by the pathogen, also known as “walking pneumonia”, is thought to have been caused by a lack of immunity due to China’s strict lockdown measures imposed last year.
“It is the first wave of mycoplasma pneumoniae infections since most Covid-19 containment measures were lifted at the beginning of this year,” Zhou Huixia, director of the children’s medical centre at the Seventh Medical Center of the Chinese PLA General Hospital, told state newspaper China Daily.

It’s just a little lockdown debt leaving the system (safely), as we continue to transition to normalcy.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Some mystery illness is affecting dogs in LA

quote:

Los Angeles County public health officials are investigating a mysterious respiratory illness affecting a rising number of dogs. Its origin, transmission and treatment are unknown.
The illness, which investigators refer to as atypical canine infectious respiratory disease (aCIRD), causes symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge and lethargy. Public health officials warn the public to monitor their pets for such symptoms and, if they display them, to take them to a veterinarian to be evaluated.

https://news.yahoo.com/mystery-dog-disease-reaches-l-130048366.html?guccounter=1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's been circulating since at least August and has turned up in at least 10 states across the US so far, with hundreds and hundreds of cases and an unknown number of deaths

quote:

According to Ganzer and the Oregon Department of Health, cases that match the description of the mystery dog illness have been reported, officially or anecdotally, in: Oregon, Colorado, New Hampshire and the surrounding Northeast area, California, Indiana, Illinois, Washington, Idaho, Georgia, Florida
https://www.today.com/health/mystery-dog-illness-2023-rcna125553

It seems pretty odd that they haven't been able to identify it but I have no idea how hard it is to ID dog respiratory diseases so :shrug:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Anecdotally, swabbing the throat also helps to get a faster positive with rapid tests

I’ve seen in my own household combo swabbing yield positives two days before plain old nasal swabbing.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
My mom just tested positive for COVID. I was in close quarters with her all day yesterday for Thanksgiving. I still have a nearly full package of paxlovid sitting around from when my ex had COVID. Would it make any sense to go ahead and start taking it? Or should you only take it when you start getting symptoms? I mean, I guess I could magically not catch it but we rode in the car while she coughed and poo poo (we thought it was her regular old cough from smoking.) I got very sick last time I had the 'rona so I wanna do whatever is best here.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wile E. Toyota posted:

a nearly full package of paxlovid sitting around from when my ex had COVID. Would it make any sense to go ahead and start taking it?

don't take paxlovid unless you're taking a full course as directed, and get prescribed a new course

why do you have partial courses of paxlovid sitting around

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pfizer commissioned a study on post-exposure prophylaxis, but it was underpowered and so while it seemed to help, that result was not statistically significant.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

MrQwerty posted:

don't take paxlovid unless you're taking a full course as directed, and get prescribed a new course

why do you have partial courses of paxlovid sitting around

He took it for two days and it caused severe vomiting and diarrhea so he stopped taking it.

Platystemon posted:

Pfizer commissioned a study on post-exposure prophylaxis, but it was underpowered and so while it seemed to help, that result was not statistically significant.

Ah, that's too bad. Sounds like the best thing to do is just wait and try to get another script if I need it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My mom just tested positive for COVID. I was in close quarters with her all day yesterday for Thanksgiving. I still have a nearly full package of paxlovid sitting around from when my ex had COVID. Would it make any sense to go ahead and start taking it? Or should you only take it when you start getting symptoms? I mean, I guess I could magically not catch it but we rode in the car while she coughed and poo poo (we thought it was her regular old cough from smoking.) I got very sick last time I had the 'rona so I wanna do whatever is best here.

Your best bet at this time is probably heavy surveillance testing and maybe regular gargling with a CPC mouthwash. I'd do a RAT 2x a day if I had a known positive contact, or a PCR home test 1x a day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I believe there’s also a sinus rinse that might help / can’t hurt, but I didn’t look into that because I draw the line at waterboarding. CSPAM thread can hook you up though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I appear to have possibly caught covid after 4 years or whatever it's been of probably not having had it. Or if I did ever catch it prior to this, I was asymptomatic.

Took a test and it's positive. I've been regularly keeping up to date on boosters where possible. I will admit over the past year or so I've started doing stuff again and not masking. I just couldn't keep up the not doing stuff thing indefinitely.

I feel alright. Felt kinda cold last night and my throat got a little scratchy but I feel much better already today. I feel the tiniest bit of congestion in my chest as well, but no breathing issues whatsoever. Hopefully this will be pretty mild. The fact that I already feel way better compared to last night has me feeling optimistic.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 3, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend got the flu. Or so she thought. Covid. She's got it, spouse has it, kid has it. Haven't masked in forever.

I did see two guys at work today with masks, but they were these weak fabric ones that didn't cover the nose so....way to go for putting the condom on your scrote and not penis?

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Day 6 of symptoms after avoiding it for almost four years while having multiple, multiple periods of extended exposure at work during that time. It’s almost like PPE and masks and vaccines work or something?? Someone should look into that.

I don’t even know how or where I stumbled into the plague cloud but I suspect it was, ironically, when I went to the pharmacy to get my flu shot.

All things considered, I’ve had more vicious head colds. I feel like I am getting off really, really easily here. The constant tiredness and broken sleep are a real drag though.

Does anyone have any nice uplifting anecdotes about how they had a mild case of Covid also and absolutely no brain fog or residual fatigue for weeks afterwards that they’d like to share? Some of my coworkers have long Covid including brain fog and fatigue, and when I saw the two little lines on the test card I got fatalistic and all “welp, my worst fears are coming true maybe, awesome, how great is that, cool.” I mean, as far as I know there’s nothing I can do now except wait. I’d just like the wait to suck a little less by hearing about Covid that ended without long term garbage sticking around. Thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got COVID after a trip to new york taking the subway all week unmasked. I coughed for 4 days and it went away, no other symptoms. I did get the latest vaccine shot in early October.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've been wearing N-95 masks everywhere (still) since 2020.

Still haven't had it.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

WFH and elastomeric masks. Feels like astronaut-LARPing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I got covid last week for what I assume was the first time ever (unless I previously had it but was asymptomatic). I tested and the test confirmed it. Not sure where I got it.

I am vaccinated and have gotten boosters including one this year in I believe October iirc.

I first started showing symptoms last week on Saturday. I was then sick until Wednesday. Symptoms included fever, body aches, runny nose, sore throat, one small bout of diarrhea, and general fogginess/fatigue. The fever would come and go. I'd sometimes feel alright during the day only to have it return at night. I know I listed a lot of symptoms but I never felt too awful to be honest. The fever sucked the most but overall I felt less bad than my previous experiences with the flu. It still sucked mind you, but not as bad as the flu. I am certain the vaccine helped there or I would have had it way worse.

On Thursday of this week I felt back to normal and I feel fine since. No general malaise or fatigue or mind fogginess that I'm aware of. I feel no dumber than normal :v:.

I've read that you can still be contagious up to 10 days after your original symptoms so even though I felt better after 5 days of it I'm still isolating myself from others just to be safe for at least the rest of next week. I am kinda curious how I feel next week when I try to resume working out (in my garage at home, not the gym). I hope this thing hasn't destroyed my cardio and personal fitness but we'll see. I was fairly active prior to getting sick and that is a worry of mine.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 10, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Fat Albert in a can posted:

Does anyone have any nice uplifting anecdotes about how they had a mild case of Covid also and absolutely no brain fog or residual fatigue for weeks afterwards that they’d like to share?
The only time I know I had it was completely asymptomatic with no long term effects. The only reason I know of it at all is because I was in the hospital for unrelated reasons and they PCR everyone at admit. The suckiest part was 20 day isolation (immunosuppressed takes longer to clear, so CDC wants longer quarantine)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just tested positive for the first time. This follows days of diarrhea and a growing bout of cough. Now I have a sore throat and general tiredness. I did take the latest booster months ago.

Mostly I feel guilt because even as I wore PPE on subways and public spaces, I was obviously in close contact with family and friends. It’s frustrating to think I might have exposed those closest to me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I just tested positive for the first time. This follows days of diarrhea and a growing bout of cough. Now I have a sore throat and general tiredness. I did take the latest booster months ago.

Mostly I feel guilt because even as I wore PPE on subways and public spaces, I was obviously in close contact with family and friends. It’s frustrating to think I might have exposed those closest to me.

On the other hand it’s equally as likely that they’re the ones who exposed you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

regarding the dog respiratory stuff: my pack had it. it was bad. 5 figures in vet bills. We're taking time off from the show world right now because of it (and I'm losing my mind, I need my dog dopamine).

regarding covid: how hard is the new shot hitting? I need to get it but I need to plan ahead before I do, and knowing how rough it is vs the original ones is a great help.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

regarding the dog respiratory stuff: my pack had it. it was bad. 5 figures in vet bills. We're taking time off from the show world right now because of it (and I'm losing my mind, I need my dog dopamine).

regarding covid: how hard is the new shot hitting? I need to get it but I need to plan ahead before I do, and knowing how rough it is vs the original ones is a great help.

Get the Novavax it’s available through CostCo and hits less hard (anecdotally), also may confer more broad spectrum protection.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oracle posted:

Get the Novavax it’s available through CostCo and hits less hard (anecdotally), also may confer more broad spectrum protection.

Is it widely available? My last booster was the Pfizer bivalent many months ago, and it wasn't bad for side effects, but the three Moderna shots I had before that were all varying degrees of misery.

Any studies on efficacy between Novavax versus the mRNA vaccines at this point?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is it widely available? My last booster was the Pfizer bivalent many months ago, and it wasn't bad for side effects, but the three Moderna shots I had before that were all varying degrees of misery.

Any studies on efficacy between Novavax versus the mRNA vaccines at this point?

You should get any monovalent. Novavax may be a little more resilient than the mRNA vaccines, but there is no strong evidence either way yet. But if your last booster was bivalent (and you live in one of the countries offering it) you should get a monovalent in your arm asap.

Reports of how "hard" a shot hits are meaningless. My spouse and I barely have any after effects from a COVID booster, aside from a sore arm and weird dreams that night. Others it knocks out for a few days. No telling what your reaction will be.

Does anyone have any nice uplifting anecdotes about how they had a mild case of Covid also and absolutely no brain fog or residual fatigue for weeks afterwards that they’d like to share? Some of my coworkers have long Covid including brain fog and fatigue, and when I saw the two little lines on the test card I got fatalistic and all “welp, my worst fears are coming true maybe, awesome, how great is that, cool.” I mean, as far as I know there’s nothing I can do now except wait. I’d just like the wait to suck a little less by hearing about Covid that ended without long term garbage sticking around. Thanks!

As far as I know, no long term effects from when I got COVID. I was 2 weeks post booster when I caught it, and was on Paxlovid on the 1st day of symptoms, so I played everything as well as you can. I also waited 3 months before resuming my workouts.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 10, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd say probably 95% of people I know have had COVID at least once. All vaccinated to various degrees, most getting all the boosters they can.

As far as I know literally nobody has had real long term effects. I'd say there were two cases back in late 2021/2022 that qualified for long COVID in that they both lost their sense of taste for around 4 months. But it slowly came back and has been back to normal for a while now. Rest of my friends and family had zero effects after a couple weeks at worst. No brain fog, no lingering cough. Just back to their normal routines.

I mean can it happen? Sure. Take it easy for a while after to be safe and yeah if you can get Paxlovid probably doesn't hurt. Is it more likely to happen than not? No, not by a long shot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was again the only person masked at the holiday party last night.

My friend, who always "forgets" his mask when I see him out shopping, was supposed to drop off something for me last week. That's all, a DROP. Instead he came inside/my mom thought he was invited over, so I came home to find the rear end in a top hat wanting a tour. He knows I mask every time I am at his place; last year I house sat for him, and when news broke Covid was all over his vacation destination, he refused to get tested after because he felt fine.

Do not bitch to me about how haaaaaaaaaaard it is to breathe through a mask when I wore loving masks daily in AZ summer stacking loving tires outside.

The weather is awesome and I want to be walking in parks daily but people are loving everywhere, coughing and sneezing and while it's not as packed as a mall, it's still kinda busy.

My friend with Covid got Covid-pinkeye? Apparently that's also a thing.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As far as I know literally nobody has had real long term effects.

I’m going to take a wild guess here and say that none of them had any significant examinations to show whether there were long-term effects beyond what the naked eye and “do I still feel like poo poo” can perceive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kestral posted:

I’m going to take a wild guess here and say that none of them had any significant examinations to show whether there were long-term effects beyond what the naked eye and “do I still feel like poo poo” can perceive.

:ok:

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Quackles posted:

I've been wearing N-95 masks everywhere (still) since 2020.

Still haven't had it.

Same. caught it on work trip this week, maybe because of some largely unavoidable mask-off time at the airport (thanks TSA). Maybe my boss will take my concerns about work travel seriously now? Hahaha…

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!

Day 6 of symptoms after avoiding it for almost four years while having multiple, multiple periods of extended exposure at work during that time. It’s almost like PPE and masks and vaccines work or something?? Someone should look into that.

I don’t even know how or where I stumbled into the plague cloud but I suspect it was, ironically, when I went to the pharmacy to get my flu shot.

All things considered, I’ve had more vicious head colds. I feel like I am getting off really, really easily here. The constant tiredness and broken sleep are a real drag though.

I’ve managed to catch COVID 3 times in the last 14 months after not having it the first 2 and a half years of the pandemic. Knock on wood no big long term effects yet. I do run a lot, so I pick up on small changes in my heart rate effort level. The biggest thing the first time is I had a slightly elevated heart rate and effort level was higher for my paces for a few months. Still would rather not get it again. The 2nd time was the sickest I’ve ever been in my life, though I recovered faster that time. I’ve had 6 vaccine shots (50/50 between Pfizer and Moderna).

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do not bitch to me about how haaaaaaaaaaard it is to breathe through a mask

If you've had covid 400 times you'd understand ok don't judge

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DeceasedHorse posted:

Same. caught it on work trip this week, maybe because of some largely unavoidable mask-off time at the airport (thanks TSA). Maybe my boss will take my concerns about work travel seriously now? Hahaha…

The TSA makes you do what??

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Quackles posted:

The TSA makes you do what??

whole face hole

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the antigoatse

Adbot