Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

German wastewater

god drat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hot off the presses!

https://twitter.com/SystemsVirology/status/1733661271445385626

:whitewater:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

German wastewater:

Mein Gott ... es ist voller Scheiße

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Emergency ambulance response time may be delayed as 995 calls spike in Dec: SCDF

quote:

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) has warned that there may be delays in the response time for ambulances, especially for less critical cases, after the average daily number of 995 calls spiked in the first week of December.

It said on Facebook on Dec 7 that it received nearly 750 “995” emergency medical services (EMS) calls a day on average in the first week of December, about 100 more than the daily average between July and September.

The December number is about 200 more than in the same period before the pandemic.

The SCDF responded to 256,837 EMS calls in 2022, or about 704 a day, according to its website. That represented a 20.2 per cent increase in EMS calls compared with 2021. The jump was attributed partly to a surge of calls associated with the various Covid-19 waves in 2022.

The SCDF said almost 5 per cent of the calls made to the hotline are non-emergencies.

It previously said that since 2017, it has been actively trying to raise public awareness about calling 995 only for emergencies.

The number of non-emergency calls increased from 9,050 in 2021 to 11,538 in 2022, higher than the 10,534 in 2019 before the pandemic. The SCDF attributed the spike in part to the increase in Covid-19-related cases that were assessed to be non-emergencies by its paramedics on site.

😡

Non‐emergency calls clogging the freaking phone lines!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I went to my first movie in a theater since 2020, trusting in the workers at 3M.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Shiroc posted:

I went to my first movie in a theater since 2020, trusting in the workers at 3M.

better have been at least a good movie!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

:actually: as it is much further along the phylogenetic tree, it is much milder.

The mystery science “but is it bold” barbecue sauce bit, but backward

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

shazbot posted:

better have been at least a good movie!

True outsider indie film starring a local celebrity best known for covering the entire city in posters with positive messages.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

I’ve been going in a well fit Aura since Dunc, haven’t gotten got yet

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
China is updating their mask recommendations for the winter

Everyone is getting their rear end kicked out here. Thing is, they're not exactly mandates as they are "strong recommendations".

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:stare:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
New study out on the how and why of the adenovirus vector vaccine clotting issues. Apparently an interaction between the adenovirus, the immunesystem and platelet chemistry. This was partially already known, but the new study demonstrates a second complimentary mechanism also causing clotting. It is mentioned that the clotting issue has been seen with simple adenovirus infections (take that with a grain of salt though, as dog ownership or likelihood to pet is unmentioned).

https://www.livescience.com/health/...future-vaccines posted:

Rare clotting effect of early COVID shots finally explained — what could that mean for future vaccines?
Scientists have offered a new explanation for why COVID-19 vaccines that contained adenoviruses carried a rare-but-serious risk of blood clotting.
(..)
Unraveling VITT
When VITT was first observed in patients getting COVID-19 vaccines in February 2021, scientists soon discovered that it had to do with PF4, a chemical signal released by platelets, the blood cells that form clots.

In rare cases after vaccination with an adenovirus-based vaccine, the body would make antibodies to PF4. These antibodies would latch onto PF4 and form clumps that could then bind to receptors called Fc on other platelets. This would activate the platelets and lead to a runaway clotting response.

The new Blood study found that PF4 alone also activates a second set of receptors that cause platelets to accumulate, likely a second reason why clotting goes haywire in this disorder.

There is still a long way to go, Nazy told Live Science, whose team first reported in 2021 how antibodies against PF4 were causing VITT. The new research suggests that there are actually two different ways that PF4 acts in VITT, he said. These two pathways are not exclusive and may work in tandem.

In the new study, researchers tested blood from healthy individuals and people with VITT to trace the cascade of signals that leads to the overactive clotting. They found that the PF4 activates a receptor called c-Mpl on platelets, which causes them to clump together. This is in addition to the mechanism discovered in 2021, in which complexes of PF4 and PF4 antibodies activate platelets' Fc receptors.

"What we have shown is that as well as that antibody trigger, you've also got PF4 itself binding to platelets and activating them, providing a double whammy," Phillip Nicolson, an associate clinical professor of cardiovascular medicine at the University of Birmingham in the U.K. and the leader of the new study, told Live Science. "That may be why [the clotting] happens to a harmful degree."

Scientists have a few clues as to why adenovirus vaccines can trigger this response. PF4 carries a positive electrical charge on its surface, while adenoviruses are highly negatively charged, Nicolson said, so they may bind together easily. But even that is not confirmed, Nazy said, and has mostly been shown with computer modeling rather than with real molecules.

In rare cases, unusual clotting happens without vaccination or treatment with heparin. A recent paper published in the The New England Journal of Medicine, and co-authored by Nazy, found that in at least two of these unexplained clotting cases, the clotting disorder occurred after typical adenovirus infections. In many cases, the connection between unexplained clotting and a viral infection may be missed. And it's still a mystery why very few people are susceptible to these clotting conditions.
(..)

Link to (overly technical) study proper:
"PF4 activates the c-Mpl-Jak2 pathway in platelets"

https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/doi/10.1182/blood.2023020872/498431/PF4-activates-the-c-Mpl-Jak2-pathway-in-platelets posted:

Key Points
  • PF4 activates the thrombopoietin receptor c-Mpl in platelets resulting in JAK2-STAT3/5 signaling.
  • Inhibition of the c-Mpl-JAK2 pathway abrogates PF4-induced platelet aggregation.
Platelet factor 4 (PF4) is an abundant chemokine that is released from platelet α-granules upon activation. PF4 is central to the pathophysiology of vaccine-induced immune thrombocytopenia and thrombosis (VITT) in which antibodies to PF4 form immune complexes with PF4, which activate platelets and neutrophils through Fc receptors. In this study, we show that PF4 binds and activates the thrombopoietin (TPO) receptor, c-Mpl on platelets. This leads to the activation of Janus kinase 2 (JAK2) and phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription (STAT) 3 and STAT5, leading to platelet aggregation. Inhibition of the c-Mpl-JAK2 pathway inhibits platelet aggregation to PF4, VITT serum, and to the combination of PF4 and IgG isolated from VITT patient plasma. The results support a model in which PF4-based immune complexes activate platelets through binding of the Fc domain to FcγRIIA and PF4 to c-Mpl.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We got lucky that the issue revealed itself with the bronze medal vaccine for which ample alternatives existed and not a decade later, in something with no alternative, with a dozen other adenovirus‐vectored pharmaceuticals in the pipeline.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

True outsider indie film starring a local celebrity best known for covering the entire city in posters with positive messages.

I walked by that theater last night and was surprised how long the line was and looked up what was playing (I think I know what city/movie you’re talking about) Was the movie good? I don’t have the guts to go to a theater yet, but I don’t know how else to see that movie…

CoasterMaster has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Dec 10, 2023

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Movie theater food is overpriced and not very good. If you just wear a respirator and don't take it off the whole time, you should be fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
went to see The Boy and the Heron with some friends a couple days ago, wore an n95 and glasses, haven’t died yet

movie is beautiful, a little choppy story wise but makes more sense if you interpret it as Miyazaki symbolically evaluating his own entire career

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CoasterMaster posted:

I walked by that theater last night and was surprised how long the line was and looked up what was playing (I think I know what city/movie you’re talking about) Was the movie good? I don’t have the guts to go to a theater yet, but I don’t know how else to see that movie…

Fantasy A Gets A Mattress is very funny if you’re on board with the jokes being blunt absurdity and the thing being like negative budget. I got to meet Fantasy A afterwards and he was a nice guy.

The people in charge of things said they’re trying to get a distributor but unless they so, the festival circuit is it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/ejustin46/status/1733870559170044173?s=46

apparently infected cells grow hentai tentacles and Covid virions surf across them onto new cells

https://x.com/ejustin46/status/1733870578195476592?s=46

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Steve Yun posted:

apparently infected cells grow hentai tentacles and Covid virions surf across them onto new cells

Gross.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

yeah severe covid lung damage (one of the forms of it anyway) is the virus forming huge non-functional syncytia (multi-nucleated cell blobs) out of your lung meat, which never really heal in the way lung damage from flu via conventional cell death does.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I still love that phrase "tunneling nanotubes" in your brain.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Canadian government has released some new Long Covid statistics: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/75-006-x/2023001/article/00015-eng.htm

It's great, filled with fun little quotes like this one:

The percentage of adults experiencing long-term symptoms increased with the number of COVID-19 infections reported

The potential impact of re-infections on the risk of developing or exacerbating pre-existing long-term symptoms is important considering the endemic nature of COVID-19. However, studies providing evidence of increased risk are limited in number and generalizability. As seen in Chart 2, Canadians reporting two known or suspected COVID-19 infections (25.4%) were 1.7 times more likely to report prolonged symptoms than those reporting only one known or suspected infection (14.6%), and those with 3 or more infections (37.9%) 2.6 times more likely.

[...]

Almost half of Canadians who reported that they continue to experience long-term symptoms also reported no improvement over time

Many Canadians with long-term symptoms experience a protracted symptom duration. As of June 2023, 58.2% of infected Canadians who ever reported long-term symptoms continue to experience them. Among Canadian adults who continued to experience long-term symptoms, 79.3% had been experiencing symptoms for 6 months or more, including 42.2% with symptoms for one year or more (Figure 1).

hmm sounds bad, maybe we shouldn't be letting ourselves get infected over and over.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sars cov 3 is going to turn people into giant akira-style flesh blobs probably

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay this is pretty funny:

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1733647646311723436#m

The Herald Sun in the local Murdoch newspaper which was constantly downplaying the severity of the pandemic, complaining bitterly about the lockdowns and the health mandates, and constantly branding the Victoria state premier as "Dictator Dan" for all the covid rules he implemented

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

My Mom, Dad, and younger daughter are all COVID positive now. They all started with a sore throat and tested positive the following morning. From the timing it seems like my son passed it onto my Mom and my daughter, and my Dad got it from my Mom because they slept in the same room when she was symptomatic, but before testing positive.

It's interesting. In September it took like 4-6 days of symptoms for our iHealth rapid tests to pop positive. This made us late in getting Paxlovid. This time, we're getting thick, solid lines under the T within 24 hours of symptom onset. My guess is that this is because we have a different strain this time, one that pops positive sooner?

Anyway all that's left are me, my wife, and our older daughter. Feelin' those walls closing in

my wife tested positive today after she started to feel really lovely yesterday. I slept in an office yesterday instead of our room, just in case, but I know my chances to dodge COVID are still rather slim. At this point all I want is for my oldest daughter to get through this without getting infected, she's already had it twice now :(

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
anyone who works on EPIC wanna explain this one?

can I actually get another vaccine in a week?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

(..)
Canadians reporting two known or suspected COVID-19 infections (25.4%) were 1.7 times more likely to report prolonged symptoms than those reporting only one known or suspected infection (14.6%), and those with 3 or more infections (37.9%) 2.6 times more likely.
(..)

Sounds to me like you are getting a frequent infection discount on the long COVID, so who's to say if this is good or bad?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Yeah man, that's a real tricky claim that certainly needs to be qualified as not necessarily a statement of fact.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rishi-sunak-covid-inquiry-live-eat-out-boris-whatsapp-b2460593.html posted:

Covid inquiry live: Rishi Sunak to face claims Eat Out to Help Out scheme spread coronavirus
WhatsApp messages shown to the Covid-19 Inquiry have revealed that government advisers referred to Mr Sunak as ‘Dr Death’ during the pandemic

It's Prime Minister Death now, show some respect.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

It's Prime Minister Death now, show some respect.

lol

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Steve Yun posted:

Griz
May 21, 2001

shazbot posted:

I looked up novavax since I have to get surgery next month and the only guidance is "at least 2 months after receipt of the last previous dose of an original monovalent (Original) or bivalent (Original and Omicron BA.4/BA.5) COVID-19 vaccine"

no idea what they're doing with your scheduling since the dosing for unvaxxed is 3 weeks apart and boosters just get one shot unless immunocompromised

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shazbot posted:

CDC guidance is to give two shots of Novavax to totally unvaccinated adults.

If you’ve ever gotten a coronavirus vaccine before, you only get one shot.

The prime + boost is unique to Novavax now. In contravention of basic immunology and the whole 2021 experience, they only give one shot to those getting Pfizer/Moderna.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

i got covid a month ago and my eyelids are still all inflamed and irritated. really fun disease

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
eyyyyyyy

https://x.com/meetjess/status/1733974260056457265?s=46

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Got my government issued COVID tests - all Intelliswabs lol

We have the tools (they are designed to not work)

three out of three shipments i got from USPS this month were iHealth brand. it must go by state being shipped to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/daringshift/status/1733931034956472625?s=46

bro learning more about how the medical system works than any class will ever teach him

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
hot top: do not show up to get paxlovid while stoned, and then suddenly realize that they might have novavax and ask about it, because when they ask "don't you have COVID" you'll get really confused, and then also you'll forget to stick to the script about not having insurance

ZERO side effects from Novavax as of 48hours later. and this is coming from someone who had severe reactions to the first few mRNA shots. i felt nothing the whole time. just the faintest arm soreness to let me know it really happened

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/daringshift/status/1733931034956472625?s=46

bro learning more about how the medical system works than any class will ever teach him

oof. for people without twitter, this is what it says:

"Boyfriend has severe COVID. Med school final exams are tomorrow. School requires he quarantine until asymptomatic, yet has denied his request for medical absence. If he doesn't show up to testing with active COVID tomorrow, he fails the semester & must retake all classes. Education is being funded by disability vocational rehab. They won't pay to retake failed classes. We can't afford the tuition.

If the Dean doesn't intervene to allow testing post-COVID recovery, he plans to drop out of school. Why? If medical absences are disallowed and routine illness results in failed classes, the time & monetary cost will be too great. He's worked so hard to get this far. It's a devastating blow.

Praying for a miracle. Hoping, somehow, his tests can be delayed to next week."

yeah that sucks but it's probably good to realize now just how easy it is for expensive, long term career paths to go up in smoke because the covid RNG looked at you funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ansar Santa posted:

i got covid a month ago and my eyelids are still all inflamed and irritated. really fun disease

Yeah, COVID has a real grab bag of symptoms. That one is uncommon - but not rare - at a couple of percent.