Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Didi doesn't get enough credit, her lines are almost always gold.

HANK: She is not my mother. Hell, we went to kindergarten together!

DIDI: Hey Hank. Do you still like finger-painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Punkinhead posted:

Didi doesn't get enough credit, her lines are almost always gold.

"I'm lucky. Cotton is so easy to shop for. Either he likes what I get him, and he's happy, or he hates it, and he shoots it, and he's happy."

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Sorry I'm late, I had to take three buses. One to get here, one to go back and get GH, and one to get here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's probably just as well Cotton is basically a cartoon character (well, you know what I mean) because otherwise a lot of the poo poo he does is way too real.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's probably just as well Cotton is basically a cartoon character (well, you know what I mean) because otherwise a lot of the poo poo he does is way too real.

I always threatened my son that, if my wife and I had another son, I would name him Good Jayden.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
That's not just what I think, it's what Cotton told me to think

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Szyznyk posted:

I always threatened my son that, if my wife and I had another son, I would name him Good Jayden.

I think I'd just kinda embrace being Evil Jayden.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Didi was happier for Cotton's death more than anyone else

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Star Man posted:

When I did a rewatch with my wife, she was extremely happy he died.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Peggy being the one who calls out Cotton on his deathbed is also her being absolutely right, how he couldn't show the slightest amount of gratitude or contentment with everything he'd been handed and almost entirely squandered.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Szyznyk posted:

you cant call him goodhank that makes it sound like im badhank.

well you burnt my burger didnt you bh!

that exchange and jimmy carters HATE A BABY?! are my two favorite things in koth

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Star Man posted:

For sure… she even marries well afterward supposedly iirc lol.

I believe the writing of her character was done on purpose so that she’d get no real sympathy from the audience. If we had, we’d have been saddened by the hellish life she must have had living with cotton lol.

I always wondered what her deal was. Like her two character traits are: simpleton and post partum depression.

“I don’t care… you name it” - didi right after the birth of her (supposedly?) first child

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Fishstick posted:

That's not just what I think, it's what Cotton told me to think

Don't be too sure. I been known to give a girl amneezy!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

snergle posted:

you cant call him goodhank that makes it sound like im badhank.

well you burnt my burger didnt you bh!

that exchange and jimmy carters HATE A BABY?! are my two favorite things in koth

Mike Judge is so great about making the mundane noticeable without ever really leaning on stereotypes to pull it off. His humor is almost always understated and borderline subtle/deadpan, but he finds the humor in the regular, ordinary behaviors that largely define people, how others perceive them and that viewers can instantly identify with.

Beavis and Butthead is a great example. Buckley is another. Same with Milton from Office Space and several characters in Extract and certainly Silicon Valley. EVERYONE knows (or knew) teenagers like B&B or Buckley but none of them are written in a way that's a hard sell or reduced entirely to a simple catch phrase (even though they have them) or reduces them to being one dimensional. He can also seamlessly write and introduce characters that seem utterly bizarre but remain relatable; since people ARE bizarre and strange but usually not in over the top ways that can be printed on a BAZINGA t-shirt.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

namlosh posted:

drat right she did, she married a professional!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just felt my Chakra open, honey

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I call this one The Modified Roger Staubach.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There's a great gag in that episode where Peggy encourages Pete to try and meet a woman and he says "heck, who would want a 40yr old supermarket manager?" and Peggy brutally goes "hmm, good point."

And then Strickland Propane Assistant Manager Hank Hill comes running up.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Another Bill posted:

And then Strickland Propane Assistant Manager Hank Hill comes running up.

it is really no surprise that Peggy had a kid with Bill, football legend and army hero

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

And former harmon-oholic!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

it is really no surprise that Peggy had a kid with Bill, football legend and army hero

That didn't happen

Bobby vaguely resembles Bill because Cotton slept with Bill's mom and he and Hank are half-brothers

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

namlosh posted:

And former harmon-oholic!

You gotta spend money
to make mmmmmmmmmmusic

naem
May 29, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

That didn't happen

Bobby vaguely resembles Bill because Cotton slept with Bill's mom and he and Hank are half-brothers

are you suggesting that marital infidelity takes place in KOTH of all places ??

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Been thinking a lot about Cotton lately. I think there's an interesting thread that runs through the show about inadequacy and not living up to your potential.

Bobby resolves one of Hank's great traumas by winning his state finals, but there is a sort of prelude to it with Cotton.

Cotton is a great war hero. He killed fiddy men. Cotton loves the fact that he's a war hero and he isn't a loser like Hank who's a pump jockey and works for tips. Hank only broke an ankle and lost (because he's a loser), Cotton lost his shins and came out a winner. The irony is that he's a loser too.

Cotton probably came home a hero. Probably got free drinks for a few weeks, probably a parade, but back then war heroes were everywhere. Many people served and while he got a lot of respect, I'm sure it started to evaporate quickly. Then he was just like many other men after the war a regular guy.

The only thing Cotton loved, he can't do. Cotton's career as a soldier is over. He can't serve without his shins. However decorated he may be, he'll never move up the ranks, never fight another battle. He's washed up.

He doesn't get the girl either. His romantic life is tied up in the war. He doesn't get happily ever after, but gets to leave yet one more thing behind in the Pacific.

Cotton is doomed to live out his days in Arlen like anybody else. No fame, no glory, just some guy with no shins. He takes a job installing asbestos and probably marries the only woman who can stand him. Everything he probably imagined would happen as a young cadet at Fort Birk didn't happen for him. All's left is to rage at how lovely the world is for being mediocre and not what you really wanted.

Hank lives life wondering what could have been, Cotton knows exactly how it ends up.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I mean, Cotton was a colonel and apparently got there from enlisted status, which is one helluva thing to do. Post military life was pretty garbage though yeah.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I mean, Cotton was a colonel and apparently got there from enlisted status, which is one helluva thing to do. Post military life was pretty garbage though yeah.

I believe he's only a colonel of the Texas state military, in the Army he's apparently still only a private after WW2 ends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah it's like colonel sanders or a Nebraska admiral

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Testikles posted:

Been thinking a lot about Cotton lately. I think there's an interesting thread that runs through the show about inadequacy and not living up to your potential.

Bobby resolves one of Hank's great traumas by winning his state finals, but there is a sort of prelude to it with Cotton.

Cotton is a great war hero. He killed fiddy men. Cotton loves the fact that he's a war hero and he isn't a loser like Hank who's a pump jockey and works for tips. Hank only broke an ankle and lost (because he's a loser), Cotton lost his shins and came out a winner. The irony is that he's a loser too.

Cotton probably came home a hero. Probably got free drinks for a few weeks, probably a parade, but back then war heroes were everywhere. Many people served and while he got a lot of respect, I'm sure it started to evaporate quickly. Then he was just like many other men after the war a regular guy.

The only thing Cotton loved, he can't do. Cotton's career as a soldier is over. He can't serve without his shins. However decorated he may be, he'll never move up the ranks, never fight another battle. He's washed up.

He doesn't get the girl either. His romantic life is tied up in the war. He doesn't get happily ever after, but gets to leave yet one more thing behind in the Pacific.

Cotton is doomed to live out his days in Arlen like anybody else. No fame, no glory, just some guy with no shins. He takes a job installing asbestos and probably marries the only woman who can stand him. Everything he probably imagined would happen as a young cadet at Fort Birk didn't happen for him. All's left is to rage at how lovely the world is for being mediocre and not what you really wanted.

Hank lives life wondering what could have been, Cotton knows exactly how it ends up.

he seemed pretty happy about his career installing asbestos post-war

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I grilled with charcoal my whole adult life until my wife & I bought a propane grill. You know, with the big tanks you refill/swap at the store. I was dubious but almost immediately changed religions after I realized how much more convenient propane is. Three years ago we moved into our (please, Jesus) final home, and it has a grill fed by natural gas piped directly into the home. No swapping out tanks. I have, for the final time, changed religions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You don't get the rich smoky taste

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
That rich smoky taste is the taste of carcinogens!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
You wanna live forever??

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

He had enough pull with old war buddies to get that military school dude fired.

He didn’t even get to keep his Aeron chair

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

namlosh posted:

He had enough pull with old war buddies to get that military school dude fired.

He didn’t even get to keep his Aeron chair

You know, considering he was sent there back when they WERE still all about beating kids with sacks of frozen oranges and locking them in concrete sheds for days at a time, no wonder Cotton ended up so... Cotton.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

namlosh posted:

I believe the writing of her character was done on purpose so that she’d get no real sympathy from the audience. If we had, we’d have been saddened by the hellish life she must have had living with cotton lol.

I always wondered what her deal was. Like her two character traits are: simpleton and post partum depression.

“I don’t care… you name it” - didi right after the birth of her (supposedly?) first child

You get people like that everywhere, dumb enough to be barely functional, going with the flow and never really thinking about anything, usually cheerful in that oblivious way but then struggling with any personal crisis because they have no idea how to cope, since usually they deal with bad things by just not bothering to think about them. (Hence why she pretty immediately starts to forget about Cotton) Unfortunately also likely to attract the shittiest people with confidence and who don't care about anything but their looks and someone who'll touch their genitals.

BiggerBoat posted:

Mike Judge is so great about making the mundane noticeable without ever really leaning on stereotypes to pull it off. His humor is almost always understated and borderline subtle/deadpan, but he finds the humor in the regular, ordinary behaviors that largely define people, how others perceive them and that viewers can instantly identify with.

Beavis and Butthead is a great example. Buckley is another. Same with Milton from Office Space and several characters in Extract and certainly Silicon Valley. EVERYONE knows (or knew) teenagers like B&B or Buckley but none of them are written in a way that's a hard sell or reduced entirely to a simple catch phrase (even though they have them) or reduces them to being one dimensional. He can also seamlessly write and introduce characters that seem utterly bizarre but remain relatable; since people ARE bizarre and strange but usually not in over the top ways that can be printed on a BAZINGA t-shirt.

The emphasis on the normal and everyday is key, I think. You see just about everyone in King of Hill doing normal everyday things their way, with their own mild quirks or just the way that works for them, and they talk about that stuff in ways that make even the most normal characters have quirks AND the most weird characters have relatable traits. Beavis and Butthead are similar, they have their nearly profound stupidity, running on pure id and getting into improbable shenanigans for a couple of teenagers, but they also literally just hang out and watch TV, riffing on it and talking about it just like a couple of people showing an interest in the world they live in. Indeed, the world is a weird and silly place and you barely need to exaggerate much for some good jokes.

I do wonder if that kinda thing has been an influence on broader fiction; a lot of recent animated stuff has been all about contrasting wacky fantastic adventure with the mundane everyday life stuff that happens in between, and sometimes gets mixed up in it. Finn and Jake sometimes are basically a slightly smarter Beavis and Butthead where one happens to be a magic talking dog.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

naem posted:

are you suggesting that marital infidelity takes place in KOTH of all places ??

THANK YOU. Bobby's background is no different than Joseph's. Just two boring white guys fathered by aliens impregnating their mothers with their fathers' DNA.

Joseph got Dale's partially Jamaican DNA and Bobby got Bill's.

No need to inject such sordid elements into the show. No one would watch a show about an adulteror.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 12, 2023

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

The Bible posted:

drat right she did, she married a professional!

...wrestler.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

https://youtu.be/qBG3iyr5N70?si=k92dzK3nZayRr7T9

Axel Foley gonna find those drugs

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

He was the meanest sumbitch God ever put on one leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He'd lean on a desk with both hands and swing his leg at you. Then, when you were standing there shocked that a one-legged man had kicked you..

He'd bite ya.