Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

God, I loving hate him so much. It's infuriating that one fat fascist gently caress can ruin so many people's lives and grind a large part of an entire continent's political apparatus to a screeching halt.

Go have a loving heart attack, Orban, fall out of a window, accidentally convince the CIA that you're a democratically elected left-wing politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

God, I loving hate him so much. It's infuriating that one fat fascist gently caress can ruin so many people's lives and grind a large part of an entire continent's political apparatus to a screeching halt.

Go have a loving heart attack, Orban, fall out of a window, accidentally convince the CIA that you're a democratically elected left-wing politician.

Amen

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I guess the Russians win because Europe wants cheap gas and the GOP is now just the American chapter of United Russia?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Kraftwerk posted:

So I guess the Russians win because Europe wants cheap gas and the GOP is now just the American chapter of United Russia?

It's not even "Europe" that wants cheap gas, even Germany's given up on that dream for the most part, it's Orban that wants blowjob points from Putin so he can keep collecting fascismbucks and spite "the liberals." You'll notice that pretty much every country with any kind of defense industrial base is supporting Ukraine in some way nationally even without explicit EU funding for it. It's just that this amounts to a good deal less than what could be accomplished with EU money.

As for the US I'd be surprised if every single procedural lever that can be thrown without needing permission from the Republicans wasn't getting thrown.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I am interested in seeing what the mic lobbyists will do if not listened to.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

PurpleXVI posted:

It's not even "Europe" that wants cheap gas, even Germany's given up on that dream for the most part,

natural gas in europe isn't even that expensive anymore:
https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/eu-natural-gas

prices only ~30% higher than 2012, in other words, up about the same or less than inflation over the period

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1609912978219868168?s=20

https://insight.factset.com/european-natural-gas-storage-enters-withdrawal-season-amid-tensions
https://www.celsiusenergy.net/p/european-natural-gas-inventories.html

europe seriously built out its LNG import facilities and cut legacy wasteful use. I don't think natural gas plays a controlling factor in their decisions on the war anymore

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did they ever get the laser F35 working?

iirc they're still working on it.

This guy is in charge of development.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

pmchem posted:

natural gas in europe isn't even that expensive anymore:
https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/eu-natural-gas

prices only ~30% higher than 2012, in other words, up about the same or less than inflation over the period

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1609912978219868168?s=20

https://insight.factset.com/european-natural-gas-storage-enters-withdrawal-season-amid-tensions
https://www.celsiusenergy.net/p/european-natural-gas-inventories.html

europe seriously built out its LNG import facilities and cut legacy wasteful use. I don't think natural gas plays a controlling factor in their decisions on the war anymore

So what is it then? Why is everyone pulling the plug on this and letting Ukraine get absorbed by Putin? I thought the MIC was supposed to be this all powerful lobby group that wants to benefit and profit from this. Where are their lobbyists? Why am I hearing crickets.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

iirc they're still working on it.

This guy is in charge of development.

Noice

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

So what is it then? Why is everyone pulling the plug on this and letting Ukraine get absorbed by Putin? I thought the MIC was supposed to be this all powerful lobby group that wants to benefit and profit from this. Where are their lobbyists? Why am I hearing crickets.

Okay, so, the EU has an issue where certain decisions require unanimity, meaning that one single lovely actor, like Orban, can gently caress the entire thing up, and "everyone" can't do jack about it. You'll notice you still hear about individual countries, like Finland and Germany, delivering arms and ammunition.

Certain other countries are waffling because their leaders are insane(Slovakia's new president is an insane piece of trash who rants about how Russia only ever brings peace, Geert Wilders of the Netherlands has had bad hair and worse politics for decades now) or due to lovely domestic politics(like Polish farmers, who are a powerful lobby. Remind yourself that European farmers are ALWAYS wrong on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE and anything they support is bad, regressive and harmful to everyone else), but even then it's more or less purely Orban blocking EU-wide decisions on the subject, which locks off a lot of money that individual countries might not be able to just drop out of their budget.

So no, it's not "everyone" pulling the plug, and it hasn't ever been. It's just badly built institutions being victim to bad faith actors that no one ever planned for because they were optimists, idiots or both.

As for the MIC... I'm not sure if they really give a poo poo about Ukraine. They're making plenty of money already and I think they're more concerned about fighting for the big bucks like delivering some major new weapons platform for a major military like the US, at which point they want to not have alienated any politicians that might decide to block them out of a grudge. I mean, hell, if anything, the MIC goons are probably thinking long-term where they'd like Russia to remain a credible threat so they can pitch the Ultra Commie Destroyer 5000 to negate the armies of floating nuclear-powered double-turretted T-14 lasertanks that might overrun NATO any day now. I just don't think there's enough money in supporting Ukraine for them to make any kind of effort about it compared to the alternatives.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Kraftwerk posted:

Kraftwerk posted:

Who says the plug is getting pulled outright? Securing armaments for Ukraine has been a continuous and literal effort from the jump. I highly doubt that, for example, the Biden or Scholz admin have just given up on the enterprise. Just because the worst people online are being loud again doesn't mean anything. That the worst people in those legislative bodies are being loud again means a little bit more, but it doesn't look like more than "give me concessions to get your thing through" to me atm (modulo Orban and similar true believers, who I agree with PurpleXVI about).

Of course I would prefer that congress and Europe overall deliver a decisive "yes, obviously, here's everything you could want", but our political structures aren't really built to deliver that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pmchem posted:

I worked in semiconductor manufacturing during the first Russian invasion of Ukraine and occupation of Crimea. The laser lithography process uses noble gases in the chambers, specifically a lot of neon. The litho tools also happen to be the most expensive process tools in the whole fab (each are $50M+), and as such are usually the bottleneck for capital equipment.
The most economical way to get commercial quantities of neon gas is as a byproduct of steel manufacturing, but only a specific type of steel manufacturing process. 2/3rds of the world's capacity for that kind of steel manufacturing was in Eastern Ukraine. Commodity prices shot up overnight, literally 10x higher and even peaking at 30x higher. It also became scarce. Where they used to get huge tanks delivered via cargo ship they were shipping canisters via air mail, because the chips must flow.
Within a week the tool manufacturers developed, tested, and deployed a software update that reduced consumption by 50%. Over the next month, they deployed two more updates that ended up reducing the consumption by a total of ~80%.
In the next couple months, commodity prices settled down to a bit higher than before, but nowhere near the peak. Effective cost was now 30% of what it was pre-crisis, because they had curbed consumption so much.

Moral of the story is that people can pull off some very impressive feats of engineering to adapt to price shocks of critical commodities.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Kraftwerk posted:

Unfortunately, as Purple mentioned, I'm worried that russia putting ukraine's head on a pike right outside its borders will allow the MIC to sell a lot more to a lot more nations because apparently multiple thousands of casualties a month are sustainable for the indeterminate future.

Of the many terrible things about all this, and the one that depresses me most, is that Russian military success in tar-pitting or even reversing Ukrainian gains means the same "as part of strategic doctrine, torture and inflict as much cleansing and disruption onto the population that you can until the enemy collapses" tactics from syria and gaza have yet another example of being successfully deployed just before the nations of the world start thinking of how they're going to respond to climate change political upheaval.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 11, 2023

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://bsky.app/profile/noelreports.bsky.social/post/3kgbhi7nonm2s

"Ukraine reached agreements on unblocking parts of the Ukrainian-Polish border. The Yagodin-Dorohusk checkpoint was unblocked since 14:00 local time."

Some good news at least.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
110th posted a video showing 122 various Russian vehicles destroyed or abandoned. Mostly BMPs and Batra, but 34 tanks as well. This is limited to the Avdiivka part of the front, and I didn't see a timeframe.

Currently on r/combat footage but I wouldn't go clicking carelessly there as there is some graphic stuff.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

As for the MIC... I'm not sure if they really give a poo poo about Ukraine. They're making plenty of money already and I think they're more concerned about fighting for the big bucks like delivering some major new weapons platform for a major military like the US, at which point they want to not have alienated any politicians that might decide to block them out of a grudge. I mean, hell, if anything, the MIC goons are probably thinking long-term where they'd like Russia to remain a credible threat so they can pitch the Ultra Commie Destroyer 5000 to negate the armies of floating nuclear-powered double-turretted T-14 lasertanks that might overrun NATO any day now. I just don't think there's enough money in supporting Ukraine for them to make any kind of effort about it compared to the alternatives.

MIC has their boat floated with 'Chyna' for the next 30+ years. Russia is not really relevant in next gen capabilities discussions compared to staying ahead of Chinese who are moving really fast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

well you see in the non-marine version there is a perfect space for the laser and

I mean...the USAF isn't going to want to hang it on the outside, like this:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
What the christ is that abomination of a color bomb?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Checking for drag & vortices at Mach speeds?

edit: probably wind tunnel testing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SerthVarnee posted:

They're hydro painting it for a music festival fly-by.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

Crayon Fluid Dynamics

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

SerthVarnee posted:

What, never seen an airplane break the light barrier before?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Steezo posted:

What, never seen an airplane break the light barrier before?

It's gone to plaid!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

Checking for drag & vortices at Mach speeds?

edit: probably wind tunnel testing.

Wind tunnel testing for sure.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/videos/25341

quote:

Russian POWs Reveal Why They Came to Ukraine

As well as seeing the conditions they’re kept in at Ukraine’s only POW camp, Kyiv Post also gained some startling insights into why some of the men did – and didn’t – want to go to war.

"Why, in your opinion, did the war start?"

"Because of Neo-Nazism and LGBT."

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

That's what drives Putin. :crosshands:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SerthVarnee posted:

https://www.aftc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3203297/aftc-gains-new-test-capability/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SerthVarnee posted:

Wind tunnel testing for the USAF's DE pod.

Edit: Oh sure, go find the actual article, show off.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They wanted to get away from it in Russia?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1734603725975511498

quote:

Cyber units of the Military Intelligence of Ukraine attacked the tax system of the Russian Federation.

In the course of the special operation #HUR, they managed to infiltrate one of the well-protected main central servers of Russia's Federal Tax Service (FTS), and then – over 2300 of its regional servers across the country, as well as in the temporarily occupied Crimea.

As a result of the cyberattack, all servers were infected with malware.

I wonder if the economic impact of this on Russia will be meaningful.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
uhhh move to Russia westoids, we don't have taxes!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1734603725975511498

I wonder if the economic impact of this on Russia will be meaningful.

why would any government have tax stuff not air gapped

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

Corruption?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ded posted:

Because it needs to interact with oh idk, loving everything in the country?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

See, Russia's problem was modernizing their systems. The IRS still uses AS/400 mainframes and has no plans to switch anytime soon.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ded posted:

I mean, for example here in Denmark, you can do more or less all your tax reporting via an online portal.

So if they've got anything like that implemented, that would be a reason for tax systems to be accessible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

See, Russia's problem was modernizing their systems. The IRS still uses AS/400 mainframes and has no plans to switch anytime soon.

Mainframes are still the kings at manipulating and handling structured financial and numerical data in this day and age.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is nothing wrong with mainframes for that sorta task. Newer is not always better

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Correct. Although people who can actually maintain them are an endangered species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

AS/400s aren’t mainframes, though.