Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

webmeister posted:

I’ve heard of the Mouth of Sauron, but this is ridiculous!

That's clearly the Eye of Sauron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's Morgoth.
"What is that man doing to his Ainur"

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

skasion posted:

Tolkien wrote and illustrated Father Christmas letters for his kids. There’s quite a number of them, he did it for like 20 years iirc and they have a whole loose “plot” with Father Christmas, the North Polar Bear, hostile goblins etc

Note the date—this would be about a year after the completion of The Hobbit, but before its publication. Apparently early 30s Tolkien couldn’t resist the idea of a giant bear kicking goblin rear end

Thanks for posting this - just received a copy in the mail. Can't wait to read these to my kid.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kaysette posted:

I ain't been spreadin' no cheeks sir, honest! I was just trimming the bush under the taint there, if you'll follow me.

Tokien's Middle-Earth: I ain't been spreadin' no cheeks sir, honest!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Journey to the Crack of Doom proves easier than was foretold

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Tree Bucket posted:

It's Morgoth.
"What is that man doing to his Ainur"

Actually it's Morgoth's Ring.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tokien's Middle-Earth: I ain't been spreadin' no cheeks sir, honest!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNg_XMOMoX8

Dunno who needs to see this but the algorithm provides.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arc Hammer posted:

lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a good travelogue out there that details Frodo's journey from Hobbiton to Mount Doom? It's always wild to me how the majority of the action in Two Towers and King takes place in roughly a month's time from February to March 3019. The fellowship left Rivendell December 25 3018 so that's two months to the Breaking of the Fellowship at Rauros on Feb 25 while also accounting for a month long stay in Lothlorien.

I'm just curious if there's a map out there marked with the Fellowship's course and dates for notable stops.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 26, 2023

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
LOTR Project is pretty great but idk if it has quite the level of detail you’re looking for.

http://lotrproject.com/map/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat, that's a really cool site. Even if it doesn't have dates it's still really neat to put the path into perspective, and from there it could definitely help me figure out some estimates for general travel time.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Atlas of Middle Earth has exactly that for both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Atlas of Middle Earth has exactly that for both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

was about to post that, i loving love that book and its one of my favorite possessions

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

This book is great. I love "expert at [thing] interprets fantasy" and a geologist (iirc?) doing it is great. Same with ACOUP and the various attempts at estimating Middle Earth's population.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a good travelogue out there that details Frodo's journey from Hobbiton to Mount Doom? It's always wild to me how the majority of the action in Two Towers and King takes place in roughly a month's time from February to March 3019. The fellowship left Rivendell December 25 3018 so that's two months to the Breaking of the Fellowship at Rauros on Feb 25 while also accounting for a month long stay in Lothlorien.

I'm just curious if there's a map out there marked with the Fellowship's course and dates for notable stops.

Journeys of Frodo by Barbara Strachey.

Out of print—good luck finding a copy, Amazon Germany lists one for 1700€

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Arc Hammer posted:

There's also onthisdayinLOTR on twitter but the events are overlapping sometimes given the way that the timeline works. Lots to pick out here easily however.

https://x.com/onthisdayinLotR/status/1584576701886976001?s=20

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man rip pippin

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
GONDOR CALLS FOR AID

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

GONDOR CALLS FOR AID

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Tree Bucket posted:

GONDOR CALLS FOR AID

:five:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChubbyChecker posted:

GONDOR CALLS FOR AID

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess now we know who gave Eomer his sweet van.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was going to draw "the beacons are LIT" but I wasn't sure if LIT was still acceptable slang or not,

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m always amazed at how much more Eomer gets to do in the books, including the amazing speech before Aragorn’s banner is unveiled on the black ships.

Even though it helped jumpstart his career, but I always wonder what Karl Urban thought of the huge abridgment his character got for the films. Like he seems like the kind of actor who would actually have read the books before signing on.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Do orcs go to the halls of mandos or whatever when they get killed?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tom Smykowski posted:

Do orcs go to the halls of mandos or whatever when they get killed?

I don't know of any writing by Tolkien commenting directly on the afterlives (or lack thereof) of orcs specifically; however, if we take the speculation in the published Silmarillion to be accurate, that orcs are ultimately of Elvish origins, then this passage from Laws and Customs of the Eldar would seem to apply:

quote:

The fëa is single, and in the last impregnable. It cannot be brought to Mandos. It is summoned; and the summons proceeds from just authority, and is imperative; yet it may be refused. Among the [non-Eldar elves], refusal of the summons to Mandos and the Halls of Waiting is, the Eldar say, frequent. It was less frequent, however, in ancient days, while Morgoth was in Arda, or his servant Sauron after him; for then the fëa unbodied would flee in terror of the Shadow to any refuge – unless it were already committed to the Darkness and passed then into its dominion. In like manner even of the Eldar some who had become corrupted refused the summons, and then had little power to resist the counter-summons of Morgoth.

So, taking that into account, I would say that orcish spirits fell under the dominion of Morgoth and later Sauron, while they were active, and would have probably been bound into the shapes of werewolves, vampires (by which Tolkien seems to mean great blood-drinking bats) and other monstrous creations. In the interregnum between the defeat of Morgoth and the rise of Sauron, and again after the War of the Ring, orcish spirits would have been summoned to Mandos, and surely at least some would not resist it. Any orcish spirits that are in Mandos would definitely be kept in their own section of the Halls, and take a long, long time, probably literal Ages, to heal from the traumas of Morgoth's and Sauron's domination.

Nonetheless I personally believe that when Dagor Dagorath comes, a legion of healed orcs will march forth from Valinor to do battle against their ancient tormentor.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Anshu posted:

I don't know of any writing by Tolkien commenting directly on the afterlives (or lack thereof) of orcs specifically; however, if we take the speculation in the published Silmarillion to be accurate, that orcs are ultimately of Elvish origins, then this passage from Laws and Customs of the Eldar would seem to apply:

So, taking that into account, I would say that orcish spirits fell under the dominion of Morgoth and later Sauron, while they were active, and would have probably been bound into the shapes of werewolves, vampires (by which Tolkien seems to mean great blood-drinking bats) and other monstrous creations. In the interregnum between the defeat of Morgoth and the rise of Sauron, and again after the War of the Ring, orcish spirits would have been summoned to Mandos, and surely at least some would not resist it. Any orcish spirits that are in Mandos would definitely be kept in their own section of the Halls, and take a long, long time, probably literal Ages, to heal from the traumas of Morgoth's and Sauron's domination.

Nonetheless I personally believe that when Dagor Dagorath comes, a legion of healed orcs will march forth from Valinor to do battle against their ancient tormentor.

Some of those unbodied fëa which had succumbed to the control of evil in the Third Age were sent by the Witch-King of Angmar to inhabit the bodies of great Men of Arnor and its successor kingdoms that were buried in barrows. It's likely that happened in earlier ages too but I don't think anything was written about it - maybe Sauron took the techniques that Morgoth had used to make Werewolves, Vampires etc. and adapted them?

I like the idea of healed Orcs. I've had a thing in my head for years about a group of Uruks and other Orcs, and maybe a few trolls, who escaped after the destruction of the Ring and Sauron's final defeat. They'd be trying to make an honest go of it as a society and would prize their freedom from domination above all else.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Anshu posted:

Hell yes :black101:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Anshu posted:

I love this thread

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anshu posted:

You are the guy who wrote The Last Ringbearer and I claim my £5

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Anshu posted:

Hell yeah

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tolkien himself struggled with orcs a lot because I think he really did want them to be wholly evil and unsalvageable creatures but that was just not something his insanely catholic mind could tolerate. The only actual obstacle to that is his writings that imply Morgoth could not create, only twist and warp already created things. But that is not entirely true as he played a part in the Music and his later lack of power to create is from him expending more and more of his power in his solo war against the combined Ainur.

If orcs were created way back in the early days of Arda and then only came to prominence once Morgoth is in Angband than there is no real conflict in terms of orcish souls. They are akin to the Dwarves before Eru blessed them with souls despite Aule's impatience.

Anshu posted:

This is also a dope idea though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fact that orcs and humans can procreate really opens up a lot of questions about orcs that’s probably left best unasked . They are not the best part of Tolkien’s work at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean humans can procreate in our world it's not that uncommon. Unless you mean Men and Orcs breeding with each other, to which I point to the Half Elves. Extraordinary and rare but not impossible.

Crossing Orcs with Men to breed the Uruks feels more like Greek gods moulding Mankind from clay more than it does putting a lady orc in a bedroom with a man.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Breed does not mean mold from clay. It’s possible the characters in the book do not know exactly how the Uruk hai were created

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Hobbit Lovecraft who goes to Bree and gets the vapors whenever he sees a Man with any hint of Orcish features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YaketySass posted:

Hobbit Lovecraft who goes to Bree and gets the vapors whenever he sees a Man with any hint of Orcish features

Queen Beruthial named her cat what!?