Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Beffer posted:

If you are speaking about Silent Victory, then I feel you right back. I've been on the P500 wait list for a couple of years. We're currently stuck on 466. All we need is 34 keen goons to place an order. To do a good thing, click this:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-968-silent-victory-3rd-printing.aspx

Ha yeah, it is. I've been on the list so long I've since moved back to my old city where all of my game-playing friends are, and the need for a solitaire game has passed. But the sunk cost fallacy is an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Tomorrow is the beginning of GMT’s 50% off sale.

Everyone can get one game at 50% off. You can order one additional game at 50% off for every P-500 you received over the previous year.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

AARP LARPer posted:

Everyone can get one game at 50% off. You can order one additional game at 50% off for every P-500 you received over the previous year.

Sweet, I'm off to buy games that I don't have time to play!

(In case anyone can't find it, the code is GMTSale2023)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I think I’m down to counter trays this year.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Dice of Decision (The start position randomizer) decided to give me Communist Japan, and Democratic Germany as the major historical deviations. Along with the Chinese Communists controlling the original Nationalist territory, and there being no Nationalist Chinese countries to start (the Northern Expedition went so badly that the communists took over the KMT). As Japan, this makes me really interested in attacking China now, so i'll play it off as a three-way communism-off.

The nice thing about this game state is that there's no countries that trigger Minor Country Occupation which does kinda cut down on the micromanagement. Democratic Germany has some interesting things of it's own- it gets the first step of any of the late game wonder weapons (except the atom bomb) in exchange for an air unit.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

AARP LARPer posted:

I picked up Charioteer, not a war game, I know, but CC:Med wasn't in stock.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
British Way sold out - RIP, it was the one game I actually sort of wanted.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Got my copy of Valley of Tears today. It looks good, I haven't had time to read the game specific rules yet but there's supposed to be a surprisingly detailed air war system. Just looking at the counter sheets, apparently everyone gets way more tanks than in the WW2 games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Well, we're not putting millions of dudes into battle- the IDF is extremely armor-heavy in the first place as well, just because of the structure of the demographics and everything. I do think the battalion combat series is very much an armor game with infantry kinda living in it, so it's a logical progression. I do wonder if or how ATGMs get modeled here.

Anyway, on my front, i've been practicing Axis Empires Ultimate- do forgive the illegal exploitation near the end, forgot to leave a unit to make the carpet. Doesn't change much. The opening of Axis Empires, especially the TK side is all about manipulating the order of attacks to cause chain-retreats and extra hits.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'm about to set up a short Golan scenario and see how it goes.

Obfuscation posted:

Got my copy of Valley of Tears today. It looks good, I haven't had time to read the game specific rules yet but there's supposed to be a surprisingly detailed air war system.
The air war rules are slim. Arab forces get basically no choice since their pilots are trained only for one role. Israel gets to pick mission types, and whether to operate in SAM zones. For losses, what changes is the number of planes you roll for to see if any of them eat poo poo. At d2 you roll for every 2 units, at d4 you roll for every 4.

Also, the two fronts have different systems for measuring VPs. Syria needs to blow its load spectacularly, while Egypt needs endurance.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

Anyway, on my front, i've been practicing Axis Empires Ultimate- do forgive the illegal exploitation near the end, forgot to leave a unit to make the carpet. Doesn't change much. The opening of Axis Empires, especially the TK side is all about manipulating the order of attacks to cause chain-retreats and extra hits.

Two illegal exploitations, you also exploited a 2 move unit 3 hexes. I don't think it mattered much though, pretty sure you still would have had a 6:1 on Warsaw

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

Two illegal exploitations, you also exploited a 2 move unit 3 hexes. I don't think it mattered much though, pretty sure you still would have had a 6:1 on Warsaw

Doesn't exploitation ignore MA?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

Doesn't exploitation ignore MA?

Nope, the third bullet under exploitation restrictions is that distance for an individual unit can't exceed that unit's MA

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Panzeh is a known cheater: ask him about getting reinforcements "early" in EotS.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Panzeh is a known cheater: ask him about getting reinforcements "early" in EotS.

Look, Americans will brook no delays!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Unsure whether they'll be able to resist the smell of baked shad in the morning, Pickett and F. Lee order their units to entrench.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me, Panzeh and Blackmongoose played up to Summer 1940 in Totaler Krieg. Current status: two front war after I played Franco-Russian Entante, so that means Britain is out of the war. Gonna be interesting....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No screenshots?!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The situation at the outbreak of war:

Western Front is pretty standard, went Maginot because otherwise lmao, Belgium has Western Allies Influence and Italy is in the war as well.

Eastern front is more interesting, Poland and Romania are Russian minors, but currently their Policy is is Cordon Sanitaire, which means on the outbreak of war they will not go to war, even though Russia will. There is still a possibility for a (small) eastern front though.

Up in Scandinavia, Denmark was ceded and currently Norway/Denmark are Western-aligned. Sweden was the site of a major diplomatic war as I had two times when I got influence in there, but they were removed by Germany (for good reason).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

The situation at the outbreak of war:

Western Front is pretty standard, went Maginot because otherwise lmao, Belgium has Western Allies Influence and Italy is in the war as well.

Eastern front is more interesting, Poland and Romania are Russian minors, but currently their Policy is is Cordon Sanitaire, which means on the outbreak of war they will not go to war, even though Russia will. There is still a possibility for a (small) eastern front though.

Up in Scandinavia, Denmark was ceded and currently Norway/Denmark are Western-aligned. Sweden was the site of a major diplomatic war as I had two times when I got influence in there, but they were removed by Germany (for good reason).

Yeah, Russia can expand the war by using one of their cards that would activate Poland (Ultimatum or Demand Eastern Poland) but i think they'd prefer if I activated Poland. If not, I can just sit there and extend limited war for another year and a half while i grab a couple more strategic hexes after France until i'm perfectly ready to go. I don't think mongoose really has enough troops to bust Poland with my support so it's awkward, but if they don't I can just sit in East Prussia and just put a brick wall up where he has one hex to attack from.

I do think, after gaming it out, i'm going to get France this coming summer. Maginot is generally better than Reforms unless you're drat sure the Germans are going east first (they have a way to settle a war with the USSR for some time if it happens during Limited War). However, by not going reforms in this circumstance, France will have no air units, nor will they have access to the British air.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Speaking of grander scale, how is Downfall? The reviews seem to be really positive and it's not as expensive as other 'bigger' GMT games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Terminally Bored posted:

Speaking of grander scale, how is Downfall? The reviews seem to be really positive and it's not as expensive as other 'bigger' GMT games.

It's solid. I like it as a 2-player game. It'll take a while but it flows pretty well since generally there's no big sequence of play and everybody just kinda does a few things.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hollandspiele’s annual sale’s almost over and I need some recommendations. I’ll be playing solo, don’t have tons of hex and chit experience, and two young kids so anything I can get set up and actually played in under an hour or two is ideal. I’ve heard good things about Table Battles and Horse and Musket, and possibly picking up Agricola or War of Marcus Ariulus. Or both :ohdear:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Have you looked at Eyelet, Field of the Cloth of Gold, Dinosaur Table Battles (+ add on), Ginormopod?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Have you looked at Eyelet, Field of the Cloth of Gold, Dinosaur Table Battles (+ add on), Ginormopod?

No, but will right now. Thanks!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Norway, Spain, Italy, Sweden, and Hungary are axis powers. Romania was invaded by the Soviets, and then expelled all invaders after being converted to a Soviet minor due to the Cordon Sanitaire policy. Soviet and German troops have stared at each other for the past year and a half over a hex in East Prussia. I've got three more seasons before Total War starts. Britain has sat out the entire war but it'll be their turn to do something useful soon.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

dammit, I just fended off the need to buy their WiF clone (in the spirit of the game but looks like it's trying to do too much and the board looks like Axis & Allies) and now this.

Which game is that?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Which game is that?

Blitz! A World in Conflict- designed by the WiF guys to be the Simple Version.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Norway, Spain, Italy, Sweden, and Hungary are axis powers. Romania was invaded by the Soviets, and then expelled all invaders after being converted to a Soviet minor due to the Cordon Sanitaire policy. Soviet and German troops have stared at each other for the past year and a half over a hex in East Prussia. I've got three more seasons before Total War starts. Britain has sat out the entire war but it'll be their turn to do something useful soon.
I like TK in that the divergences happen more organically than USE, and the game feels like it has a lot more internal consistency. Two front war should be interesting in that a potential for an invasion to liberate Portugal/invade Spain is well within the cards.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I like TK in that the divergences happen more organically than USE, and the game feels like it has a lot more internal consistency. Two front war should be interesting in that a potential for an invasion to liberate Portugal/invade Spain is well within the cards.

Yeah i'm expecting you to avalanche Spain when the opportunity comes. My goal is to close off the Med as much as possible and limit it to that. If I can limit the scope of invasion to overseas stuff instead of one-hex-strait type invasions (like historical normandy and sicily) i'll be happy about it. Or you can be a cool dude and spot me a VP and get the fleet train in so you can do multi-step invasions anywhere.

I like the air-naval system for speed of play, and yeah the way politics works, it's more a way the players interact than USE, and the reason that works for game balance is that minor countries just ain't that important.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 11, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I feel like I want to give a board wargame a go solo over the Xmas period - I have Unconditional Surrender, Space Empires 4X and ASL SK1-3. Is there an obvious choice in here that I can plug away at in the quiet evenings between going out and festivities and hopefully get my head around properly. I have played the introductory scenario of all three, but will need to completely refresh my memory on them again. Any suggestions on the best chance of success/enjoyment?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL SK1 is particularly easy to grok on the infantry only scenarios.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ASL SK1 is particularly easy to grok on the infantry only scenarios.

I played the introductory scenario to unconditional surrender in Europe, which is basically Germany, curb-stomping Poland in one turn - it went surprisingly smoothly, maybe because now I have a much bigger space to set out rulebook, playbook, counters, and so on.

I’ll give ASLSK1 S1 another go and see how that goes!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My 'troll Tekopo' strategy continues. BM is probably right that this isn't going to win the game as eventually the soviets will be able to pick a spot to smash me and get into grey hexes but hey, i'm learning axis stuff and a lot of small things here. Axis Tide 2(historical high tide) will be pretty easy, but there's no clear path to 3 here.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, it seems I just can't get to grips with ASL - I have the Starter Kit boxes with 2 and 3 unopened, and I'm really gutted because it SEEMS like the game I want to play but I just cannot hold all the acronyms and rules interactions together in my head simultaneously. This is the third time I've tried to play and I just don't get it. Maybe if I was saturated in it from an early age, but my roots in GW- and lite- gaming just do not at all gel with ASL.

If anyone in the UK wants to make me an offer for all three then they're yours, otherwise they're going on eBay!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Well, it seems I just can't get to grips with ASL - I have the Starter Kit boxes with 2 and 3 unopened, and I'm really gutted because it SEEMS like the game I want to play but I just cannot hold all the acronyms and rules interactions together in my head simultaneously. This is the third time I've tried to play and I just don't get it. Maybe if I was saturated in it from an early age, but my roots in GW- and lite- gaming just do not at all gel with ASL.

If anyone in the UK wants to make me an offer for all three then they're yours, otherwise they're going on eBay!

Do you have a rough idea what you'd want for them?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Southern Heel posted:

You know, give the Lock n Load Tactical series a try - I'd say I took to ASL a little more than you have, but never went beyond the Starter Kits. I wound up diving into LnL though, and it's streamlined semi-ASL in a way that made it...y'know, actually playable. Bought the solo module, the battle generator, whole nine. They have a cheap little Starter Kit to try it out, or a free PDF version you can have printed out on card stock at an office supply store or something.

Sorry you're not in the US... I have an unopened accidental extra copy of Heroes of Normandy I've been meaning to find a home for.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 19, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Squiggle posted:

I'd say I took to ASL a little more than you have, but never went beyond the Starter Kits

Thanks for the tip, it's clearly a game with huge depth but maybe because I've got a kid with another on the way, limited time and a fair few other interests I just can't dedicate myself to it.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Do you have a rough idea what you'd want for them?

Let's say £85 posted?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hnnng... Tempting, but I need to listen to the voice that's telling me I have no more room. Good luck selling it, should go pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Squiggle posted:

You know, give the Lock n Load Tactical series a try - I'd say I took to ASL a little more than you have, but never went beyond the Starter Kits. I wound up diving into LnL though, and it's streamlined semi-ASL in a way that made it...y'know, actually playable. Bought the solo module, the battle generator, whole nine. They have a cheap little Starter Kit to try it out, or a free PDF version you can have printed out on card stock at an office supply store or something.

Sorry you're not in the US... I have an unopened accidental extra copy of Heroes of Normandy I've been meaning to find a home for.

SQUIGGLE! Did you try to sell that to me a while back? I swear to god I had someone I was going to buy a copy from ages ago and then lost the DM.