Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bike chat. WOW. ever see people posting about valiantly taking the bus? i think nautical...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Smythe posted:

ever see people posting about valiantly taking the bus?

there aren’t many people living where the bus system hasn’t been gutted to a point of unviability

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in april i got an apartment specifically because it was on the bus line to work. it took twice as long as the website schedule said (45 minutes to go 5 miles) and by september it was being cancelled about 30-40% of the time, making me wait on the next one and turning the total trip into over an hour

i took the city bus an absolute ton in high school and college and i think i can count on one hand the number of buses in that mult-year period that didn't show up. in 2023 that number was in the dozens until i got fed up and started driving

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

there aren’t many people living where the bus system hasn’t been gutted to a point of unviability

i take the bus sometimes. i bet many ppl do. but they dont wax about it constantly.... grow up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i say swears online posted:

in april i got an apartment specifically because it was on the bus line to work. it took twice as long as the website schedule said (45 minutes to go 5 miles) and by september it was being cancelled about 30-40% of the time, making me wait on the next one and turning the total trip into over an hour

the bus is really slow and sometimes it has a lot of crazy ppl in it. but sometimes it doesnt. overall the bus is pretty cool

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I ride the bus a few times a week. I might be the only non-student in my department who does.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Which part of New Jersey is that?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Headband and gloves make biking in any weather totally fine tbh, just need to keep the hands, ears, and core warm. What, are you not gonna walk around outside because it's too cold?

I assume these people go into their attached garage, get into their heated car, then park in the bike lane directly across the entrance of their destination to avoid dealing with the smallest discomfort or inconvenience even for a second.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Which part of New Jersey is that?

lol and if playstemon is actually NJ, expect a future ‘lmao’

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaaaaa

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Last time I took the bus there was a dude watching car crash and road rage videos at top volume on his phone

He wanted that authentic commuting experience I guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s from Reddit, and it’s not from a city in New Jersey.

It’s Surabaya.

As penance, I present this video as an example of how the swiftness of omnibuses might be improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbWfL2uszRY

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s from Reddit, and it’s not from a city in New Jersey.

It’s Surabaya.

As penance, I present this video as an example of how the swiftness of omnibuses might be improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbWfL2uszRY

request to lmao revoked

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s Surabaya.

the difference between car and motorcycle times tipped me off that it was outside the US (maybe cali has that feature because of lane splitting?)

Smythe posted:

this thread loves bikes and trains but hates the bus... bourgeois....

neolib government can't defund my bike

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Dec 10, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this thread loves bikes and trains but hates the bus... bourgeois....

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"the bus is is a car" well you kno what else is a car? a wheelchair. ableism.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

neolib government can't defund my bike

watch me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Smythe is running lights and sirens to speed through the C-SPAM streets.

This isn’t even your jurisdiction.

😤

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
going to make a very long and thin bus and give it bike lane access.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Smythe is running lights and sirens to speed through the C-SPAM streets.

This isn’t even your jurisdiction.

😤

fuckin cops

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol i had no idea this thread was slow mode. i was like "whys he editing a post to reply to me?"

thats privilege

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

modfluenza is no excuse

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
People should boat more

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what is a car, but a land boat

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

People should boat more

just move to venice dummy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I take take the bus to work most of the time. If the weather is literally perfect then I might walk, but otherwise I would rather read on the bus.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just move somewhere that has it

I hadn't ridden a bike in 5 years before I moved to Switzerland. then I was a carless pedestrian at first, but within a month I realized that biking was by far the most convenient form of transit in my city, even with very mediocre paint-based infrastructure

in winter-commuting news, last week I woke up to frozen magura rim brakes. gonna give the Trialtech brake fluid a shot

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I was LOLing at this video and thoughtmaxxed this thread
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7310493803121593642

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

"the bus is is a car" well you kno what else is a car? a wheelchair. ableism.

buses aren't cars, they are wheeltrains

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When I was in highschool I used to take the bus in until I realised that I could get there in the exact same amount of time by walking and save the money. Even with a student discount it was well worth it.

When, many years later, I went back to uni to do postgrad, I discovered that there was a bus that ran right from the corner of my street to the front of the university. It took about two weeks for me to give up on that. Buses would arrive late, or not at all, or pretend they didn't see the half-dozen people waiting there and drive on by the stop to avoid increasing the "late service" stats enough that the company would have to pay out compensation. The train (theoretically) took longer and was required more walking, but it was actually reliable so I switched to that.

Second semester I got a bike and have never looked back. Wish I'd bought one years earlier. I should have been riding to highschool instead of walking. It would have been faster than taking the bus. It's usually pretty comparable to taking the train, once you factor in walk/wait times. I still take public transport when the weather's wet, or when I want to drink and not worry about pacing myself, but otherwise the bike's the best option. I never take buses unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Buses suck.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Last time I took the bus there was a dude watching car crash and road rage videos at top volume on his phone
Last time I took the (train replacement) bus, a woman got on loudly and tunelessly singing along to U + Ur Hand by P!NK. A couple of guys took exception to this and started yelling and swearing at her. She turned off the music, but insulted them back. They were not having this and continued to yell and swear about how she was obviously on meth and the driver should throw her off. Eventually it seemed like they were going to let her get the last word in and shut up. Then they started up again, and she responded in kind. This pattern repeated for the entire trip. They just could not let it drop. Even after we all got off the bus, I saw them complaining to the driver that he should have kicked the woman off the bus. gently caress buses.

speng31b posted:

buses aren't cars, they are wheeltrains
All trains have wheels though?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

didnt read any of that soryr

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

should have said tires.....nevertheless maglev trains do not have wheels

Tiggum posted:

Last time I took the (train replacement) bus, a woman got on loudly and tunelessly singing along to U + Ur Hand by P!NK. A couple of guys took exception to this and started yelling and swearing at her. She turned off the music, but insulted them back. They were not having this and continued to yell and swear about how she was obviously on meth and the driver should throw her off. Eventually it seemed like they were going to let her get the last word in and shut up. Then they started up again, and she responded in kind. This pattern repeated for the entire trip. They just could not let it drop. Even after we all got off the bus, I saw them complaining to the driver that he should have kicked the woman off the bus. gently caress buses.

skill issue

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

speng31b posted:

Trains traditionally have steel tires

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I used to take the [light rail] train pretty much every day going from my house to my college campus, and back. I did that for four years but then it just sort of got progressively worse: the trains were fewer and far between - they ran slower, their A/C broke down more and more often. Eventually I got a job that I could walk to and I stopped taking the train and I'd see headlines about how it'd break down and people would have to walk along the tracks to get to the next station.

I wouldn't say it was radicalizing because there was no lesson or takeaway there besides "this public service used to be good but it got neglected" but it was just broadly disappointing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7289499360130436398

I would say “just walk if it’s a sixty‐second cart ride“, but that wouldn’t make all the waiting drivers angry.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

it would genuinely be a massive improvement if even 50% of those parents driving their kids to school swapped their SUVs and F950’s for golf carts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thoughts?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That's a lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

speng31b posted:

maglev trains have wheels, they use them until they build up the speed for levitation and put them back down again when they start slowing down.