Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it was nice that The Doctor got to give himself a hug for once. That was very sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Reddit's speculation on The One Who Waits is wild. A contingent is convinced it's Susan because the Doctor never came back for her after abandoning her on a destroyed Earth.

I think it's the The Beast Below.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

How do you factor in the second TARDIS?

The metaphor isn’t a one meter ruler, it’s an inch-worm. And when you cut an worm in half, they grow into two different worms.

It's a fun way to make a show of it, I don't see it as an issue at all, if they didn't have a scene then the TARDIS shows up for one of em from another point in time, ez.

An inchworm can't be cut in two and one half of it goes on to grow into a whole inchworm and the second one is both whole inchworms combined all along.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

The only people for whom Gatwa has been actually undermined by this were already bad faith bigots looking for excuses not to accepting him.

Thanks no I'm not a loving bigot and I say nothing in bad faith

Captain Fargle posted:

I thought it was nice that The Doctor got to give himself a hug for once. That was very sweet.

Absolutely 100% agreed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Actually, looking at the wiki, it’s been in tons of stuff I didn’t catch before.

Seeing it was on the TV Martha had made me rewatch that scene, its just so good, the music is top notch there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Barry Foster posted:

Thanks no I'm not a loving bigot and I say nothing in bad faith

I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of bad faith bigotry. What I'm saying is that a lot of people in this thread are anxious and paranoid that the bi-generation constitutes some sort of "gotcha" or justification that bigots can use to delegitimize Gatwa.

What I'm saying is, that audience was never going to be anything but hostile anyway. Bi-generation doesn't actually change how legitimate Gatwa is as the 15th Doctor. He's the star of the show, he's got a season in the can and another one in production, he's on all the promotions and merchandise, he's on the cover of DWM every month for the next two-four years minimum.

So we, here, can relax. We don't need to worry about how creeps and reactionaries will twist the events of The Giggle. "The ones who mind don't matter, and the ones who matter don't mind."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Space Cadet is up to Army of Ghosts/Doomsday and I'd forgotten how much Rose's "I am dead this is how I died" bit at the start annoyed me. Just a cheap lie to raise tension, nothing clever or interesting about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reminds me of the old times when ads for shows would take a tiny out of context clip and spend all week hyping up this thing that never even kind of happens.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Superdickery.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/hxll_mxtt/status/1733949055670054925?s=20
Agree 100% with this tweet, watching this bit again and it's great. Ncuti is going to be fantastic.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My one complaint: who the hell wears a long sleeve Henley under a long sleeve dress shirt?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe it's very cold on set? I thought it was weird but wrote it off because maybe it's normal if youre wearing that many expensive layers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

"The ones who mind don't matter, and the ones who matter don't mind."

I’m stealing this btw

Confusedslight posted:

https://twitter.com/hxll_mxtt/status/1733949055670054925?s=20
Agree 100% with this tweet, watching this bit again and it's great. Ncuti is going to be fantastic.

I know it’s often a logistical thing with filming, but I do really like having an actual moment between the actors instead of the usual regeneration scene.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Covok posted:

Reddit's speculation on The One Who Waits is wild
I hope they're at least going to acknowledge that there was already a The Girl Who Waited and her husband, who also waited thousands of years.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

TL posted:

My one complaint: who the hell wears a long sleeve Henley under a long sleeve dress shirt?

You've seen how skinny he is. He needs all the layers he can.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know it’s often a logistical thing with filming, but I do really like having an actual moment between the actors instead of the usual regeneration scene.

Hey, it works for Kamen Rider!

Also, anyone who thinks Gatwa was undermined by Tennant wasn't watching. One of those Doctors was definitely upstaging the other, but it was NOT Tennant!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

Also, anyone who thinks Gatwa was undermined by Tennant wasn't watching. One of those Doctors was definitely upstaging the other, but it was NOT Tennant!

Mel telling 15 he was beautiful, and 14 leaning out from behind her and going,"......STILL beautiful, right?" cracked me up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

--Ok so you know how if you have too much sugar that can be bad and cause health problems? Is there an equivalent for charisma? Because if so we need to find Ncuti a doc... oh.

--There is 100% going to be a big story episode in the future where the 14/15 duplication gets resolved and 14 ends in some way, probably as part of a big saving the universe moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

probably as part of a big saving the universe moment.

I prefer to think (hope?) that he just dies of old age after a long and happy semi-retirement knowing that he is out there somewhere in his next incarnation saving the day, says,"I'm ready to go" when his time comes and the regeneration sees him disappear while from his perspective he finds himself emerging delighted from his younger "dying" self on that rooftop in front of the Toymaker :shobon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did they explain the OTHER Doctor at some point? I remember it being introduced and instantly checking out because I just groaned and went "oh boy ANOTHER mystery box". It's amazing how little of Whittaker's run I remember.

But drat, these 3 specials have been the best Doctor Who i've seen in forever. I think 2 was the best one, but this one was great. I Was a bit NPH being the Toymaker might be a big much, but no, the perfect amount of ham. I wonder how much it cost to license Spice Girls?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ever since The Idiot’s Lantern, the show has tossed in Magpie Electric logos for TVs and such as easter eggs.

Actually, looking at the wiki, it’s been in tons of stuff I didn’t catch before.

Had no idea about the recurring logo, nice. Also perfect opportunity to share this; if you put 'anti' in front of 'fandom' in any Fandom wiki url, you get a version that isn't a hellscape plagued with ads.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

jisforjosh posted:

Had no idea about the recurring logo, nice. Also perfect opportunity to share this; if you put 'anti' in front of 'fandom' in any Fandom wiki url, you get a version that isn't a hellscape plagued with ads.

Oh my goodness thank you so much for sharing that. I was losing my mind whenever I've been on tardis wiki lately.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

The episode seems to imply that it's the new normal.

I'd be cool if it's a Timeless Child thing though, this idea that Gallifreyians were only capable of exploiting part of what the Doctor was capable of and that interaction with the Toymaker and other extra-universal life unlocked part of the Doctor's own extra-universal aspects.

If only because it'd make that revelation somewhat meaningful.

Not sure where bi regen being the new normal is anywhere implied

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr Beens posted:

Not sure where bi regen being the new normal is anywhere implied

The Toymaker's monologue about killing and doubling Doctors forever and ever.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t really see how X-2 eventually becoming Fourteen (Gatwa) is supposed to work. Is he supposed to one day say “oh hey, I fixed my trauma” and then his essence warps wherever in time and space to the moment he bi-generates in The Giggle? Does the second TARDIS just vanish in the aether? It’s obvious they’re now two branching paths.
If it were me writing: he dies at some point in the future and regenerates into 15. Because of the Toymaker's presence kinda being unbound by the laws of the universe, he kills 14 here and starts a regeneration that isn't supposed to be happening. So the two regenerations get shunted together and a 15 with 14's future experiences pops out of 14 in 2023. 15 continues onwards while 14 goes on to live whatever life he does until he dies at some point in the future and regenerates into 15. Because of the Toymaker's presence kinda being unbound by the laws of the universe, he kills 14 here and starts a regeneration that isn't supposed to be happening. So the two regenerations get shunted together and a 15 with 14's future experiences pops out of 14 in 2023. 15 continues onwards while 14 goes on to live whatever life he does until he dies at some point in the future and regenerates into 15. Because of the Toymaker's presence kinda being unbound by the laws of the...

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

TinTower posted:

One thing I noticed during the Spice Girls scene is that the line “yellow man in Timbuktu” – which the girls have since replaced in live performances – is covered up by the gun sound effects.

Which makes this the second Toymaker story where a racist line has had to be dubbed over with a “cough cough ANYWAY”.

"We dubbed over it."

Well thats ALRIGHT THEN.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When Mel said she was the first redhead, needed 14 to say "Well, Turlough"

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Inbetween being chased by mis-shapen and mis-sized versions of themselves and creepy puppets and dolls I'm glad to see Doctor Who is ready to traumatise a whole new generation of younger viewers.

With the budget they've got to play with I really hope we get at least one Moffat written story under Rusty.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

Did they explain the OTHER Doctor at some point? I remember it being introduced and instantly checking out because I just groaned and went "oh boy ANOTHER mystery box". It's amazing how little of Whittaker's run I remember.

No, the implication is she’s pre-Hartnell, but that makes no sense.

quote:

But drat, these 3 specials have been the best Doctor Who i've seen in forever. I think 2 was the best one, but this one was great. I Was a bit NPH being the Toymaker might be a big much, but no, the perfect amount of ham. I wonder how much it cost to license Spice Girls?

For the BBC? Nothing!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Doctor Who is ready to traumatise a whole new generation of younger viewers.

Yeah the Stooky Sue + Stooky Babbies scene was legit creepy, hoping it scared some kids.

I'm far and away more a fan of modern nuWho than I am of the OG serials, but I always remember seeing an episode of Paradise Towers with the creepy loving robot in the pool and it scaring the absolute poo poo out of me

And hey turns out that was a Mel story

Would love to find a clip of it, but Google/Youtube search is absolute dogshit these days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

For the BBC? Nothing!

For Disney+, on the other hand...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

The_Doctor posted:

No, the implication is she’s pre-Hartnell, but that makes no sense.

Sure it does. Previous Timeless Child/Doctor cycle. Memories were erased between cycles.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Just watched The Giggle. The dual Doctors were fun and (I love 15 already), but I expected 14 to merge back into 15 at the end. Either that, or actually die. I really should have known better... :(

I know everyone hates him for some reason I've never truly understood, but I miss Chibnall.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Serious question, and I'm not just being a dick:

Why?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I don't HATE Chibnall, I think he has good intent but what he writes is frequently not fun to watch and I'm disappointed that the first woman in the role was stuck with him as showrunner. The timeless child stuff felt like a kid excitedly telling you about the fanfic he just read.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

For the BBC? Nothing!

MikeJF posted:

For Disney+, on the other hand...

There also might be some problems there on reruns/regional broadcasts/later releases, right?

I know that's a problem that hit one of RTD's previous musical numbers, the I Can't Decide scene. (And my brain wanted to say it also caused issues with the Hartnell story The Chase, but a quick scan of the Doctor Who wiki says no.) Disney's got no shortage of money to pay for licensing, but they've also established a pattern of taking a show/movie off their service, so there could be a future where it goes somewhere else, and things get complicated.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 11, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yet another reason that I cling with increasingly suspicious panic to my beloved physical media.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Barry Foster posted:

Serious question, and I'm not just being a dick:

Why?

I'll admit most of my good memories of Chibnall's run were for Jodie's first couple of seasons... I can't quite articulate it but the show just felt more grounded, less wacky for the sake of wacky. The cinematography and new composer felt really refreshing, and went a long way toward that. Jodie too, for that matter. The plots could still be nonsensical, but I legitimately enjoyed the possibilities created by the Timeless Child stuff. Huge swaths of the Doctor's past she didn't know about? The revelation she wasn't actually Gallifreyan? Her running into unknown previous versions of herself? Heck yes, give me more of that! I think he took some of it in the wrong directions, but at least he was trying to take the Doctor's lore in some interesting new directions. Honestly, I don't think his miss-to-hit ratio is all that different to any other post-2005 showrunner (even including Flux).

I don't usually read/post in this thread but whenever I hear criticism of Chibnall (elsewhere) it's always "his bad writing". None of the people I've asked in the past have been able to explain what they mean by that though. And honestly it feels even more jarring when the same people criticising Chibnall's writing are celebrating the return of RTD, of all people.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

When I think of Chibnall being a "bad writer" for Doctor Who, it's because I find him an unmemorable writer. He doesn't have the setup-reminder-payoff structure or sitcom banter dialogue that Moffat has, or the highly legible heart on sleeve emotions and keenly observed characters that RTD is good at, his words just kind of slide off the brain. I think a lot of people ITT have said something along the lines of "I know I've seen [Chibnall episode], but I couldn't tell you anything that happened in it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Cleretic posted:

(And my brain wanted to say it also caused issues with the Hartnell story The Chase, but a quick scan of the Doctor Who wiki says no.)

Your brain is right - the Beatles inclusion in The Chase has led to its DVD and Bluray releases outside of the UK being edited.