Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
wasn't there a pretty sizeable/vocal "bring back 4e area terrain rules" crew because this brought back one of the bigger ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
More like trepain in the rear end amirite

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

More like trepain in the rear end amirite

Trepanation in the rear end is highly inadvisable. Remove the head from the rear end first, then you will have more room to drill into the skull.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Jesus Christ

Bear in mind that just putting down area terrain made of construction paper or felt or neoprene or whatever does 80% of the job. All you need after that is whatever kind of LOS blocker makes you happy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Terrain is cool

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Shrinking the battlefield and filling it with buildings is certainly “a choice” by GW. I get that it enables the melee armies, but every battle seems like it’s taking place inside a hive. Maybe the real reason the Imperium took over the galaxy is that they’re the only ones who can operate outside of a bunker.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

Shrinking the battlefield and filling it with buildings is certainly “a choice” by GW. I get that it enables the melee armies, but every battle seems like it’s taking place inside a hive. Maybe the real reason the Imperium took over the galaxy is that they’re the only ones who can operate outside of a bunker.

One of the complaints I hear about 40k lately is you are just taking potshots across the map instead of getting into combat, so if there's tons of buildings around then that helps to solve that issue

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Turning everything into an arena for mid to close range combat is fine, if they'd also make all of the armies work in that range.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They're running into an issue where the larger vehicles can't drive out of deployment zones, right?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Then I see stuff like

https://cadianshock.com/cadians-vs-imperial-knights-1750-points-10th-edition/

And just assume a lot of people playing warhammer just want big numbers and don't care about table size or terrain.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Maybe its just because of the scale of the vehicles being used but that looks like a loving knife-fight.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Then I see stuff like

And just assume a lot of people playing warhammer just want big numbers and don't care about table size or terrain.

idk the name of that big tank thing but it doesn't look like it will be able to leave where it's sitting

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lostconfused posted:

Then I see stuff like

That just looks weird, having a super heavy tank and knights on that size of table. Really doesn’t sell the scale of the game and makes it look cramped.

Units like that should be fighting on a 12x8 footer

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Endman posted:

That just looks weird, having a super heavy tank and knights on that size of table. Really doesn’t sell the scale of the game and makes it look cramped.

Units like that should be fighting on a 12x8 footer

Superheavies and fliers have never fit with 40k’s scale. Unfortunately by this point we’re stuck with them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's fun to play killing fields 40k with your own rules. You're still allowed to make your own fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Der Waffle Mous posted:

wasn't there a pretty sizeable/vocal "bring back 4e area terrain rules" crew because this brought back one of the bigger ones.

I mean I dunno sizeable or vocal but hell yeah

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I wish GW were more explicit about the way boards should be laid out with terrain, or at least provide some concrete guidelines about it. The core rules have some really vague example tables, with pretty vague descriptions about why one layout is good for matched play as opposed to narrative, which is not nothing but there's nothing about how many terrain pieces to use, what types they should ideally be, and so on. Then you look at GT tables and it's oops all ruins! For all the many flaws of Privateer Press, at least they had really clear rules about ways to set up a table. I'm not saying I want anything that detailed, and certainly with a much bigger table and many more mission parameters it would be really loving difficult to do, but some commentary or insight would be really helpful.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

I wish GW were more explicit about the way boards should be laid out with terrain, or at least provide some concrete guidelines about it.

There's a guide to setting up terrain (among other things) in the Leviathan mission deck.

It's annoying how the rules are fragmented all over the place like that but there is a GW-standard terrain setup, with commentary on the specifics.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

rantmo posted:

Then you look at GT tables and it's oops all ruins!

Cease to Hope posted:

There's a guide to setting up terrain (among other things) in the Leviathan mission deck.

Which is, in fact, "oops, all ruins!" Maybe if other terrain was a little more impactful than 'provides cover'. Like RAW Ruins are the only ones with the Plunging Fire benefit (1 AP if on a floor >6" above ground to target on ground).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That guide is sort of helpful for the 4" between terrain piece edges but even then there's nothing about how many pieces of terrain make for a good board or what makes those example layouts particularly good. Looking at the examples, I guess peak performance is a dozen ruins arranged in two mirrored halves, which is not what I would have guessed but at least it's a place to start.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
40K just isn't that deep! There are games where terrain is granular, creating lots of interesting challenges and situations, but 40K is too deadly and short ranged for that. The main concern is preventing the T1 alpha strike, with lots of LOS-blocking terrain.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The reason GT tables are "oops all ruins!" is that ruins are by far the easiest, cheapest, and most storage friendly way to furnish dozens of 40k tables.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There is nothing stopping you from sculpting gentle rolling hills out of foam and supporting your local hobby train store by buying out a bunch of plastic trees and logs nor just using coke bottles, tissue boxes, toilet paper rolls and cardboard for terrain

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, I just got a box of Bandua ruins for that very reason, but we have other stuff too and we are still trying to get a grip on how to set it all up. I guess we're overthinking it and all that matters is no LOS between deployment zones.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My Vostroyans are getting even more artillery.

I think this gun will be a good fit. It also helps that I found this kit online for like 1/4 what GW wants for the Earthshaker Carriage Battery. I get that it is a lot of resin, but that price is just too steep, even for a purist like me.

I feel like I'm going to just build this gun as is, then slap some aquilla or something else on there. I might modify it a bit, I've still got lots of leftovers from the basilisk and ordnance battery, something might work well. Converting more crew will almost certainly be an ordeal, but I'll thin them out with a couple servitors.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

rantmo posted:

I mean, I just got a box of Bandua ruins for that very reason, but we have other stuff too and we are still trying to get a grip on how to set it all up. I guess we're overthinking it and all that matters is no LOS between deployment zones.

It's quite simple:

Can most armies deploy most of their army out of LOS? Does the midfield have some cover to let people advance at least part of their army up the table in cover?

If so, your table is good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Virtual Russian posted:

Converting more crew will almost certainly be an ordeal, but I'll thin them out with a couple servitors.

If you want to go full BIG GUN ENERGY, I suggest ogre kingdom ogryn crew with aquilla tattoos and a human supervisor.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

If you want to go full BIG GUN ENERGY, I suggest ogre kingdom ogryn crew with aquilla tattoos and a human supervisor.

Absolutely a great idea, but I just don't care for abhumans in my guard. I have a 3D printed ogryn bodyguard, and I just cannot make him fight with the rest of my guys. If I can find one/make one I like it will certainly go into the crew. They would be perfect for lugging huge 1/35 shells around.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The way to make ogryns feel right with a mostly human army is to figure out what the ogryn thinks he's doing, and how an essentially cheerful but very dim brute would go about doing that.

Ogryn bodyguard in a command squad? He's not a bodyguard, he's a commissar cadet, with a comically undersized saber and peaked cap, and a heavy bolter that has clearly been torn off of something.

Bullgryn squad? They're combat engineers! Instead of clubs, they have a shovel, mattock, and a tripod that probably had a theodolite attached at one point.

Ogryn loader for artillery? Everyone's bundled up for the cold but he's stripped to the waist and heedless of the layer of frost on his back and arms. Come on, it's not that cold.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Historicals and model trains are your friends if you want to build up a terrain collection that isn’t GW’s endless industrial gothic ruins. Fight over an agriworld, an eldar crone world, a death world!

The galaxy is so diverse that really just some 40k accoutrements like aquilas or eldar glyphs or so on and they fit right in

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Servator ogryn are another option that'll convey scale!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm sold on this idea of Ogryn being a labour battalion, but also they're on the frontlines because they're Ogryn.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Player placed terrain is best imo, defender places first piece and attacker places two, then alternate. 5” between ruins, 4” from edge, forests and crates can be placed on the edge. Been working amazingly for our tournaments.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Play On Tabletops uses big rocks for mountains and it looks cool

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Player placed terrain is best imo, defender places first piece and attacker places two, then alternate. 5” between ruins, 4” from edge, forests and crates can be placed on the edge. Been working amazingly for our tournaments.

Yeah this is what I always do, but just alternating placing one piece. It goes a long way to remove hard feelings, plus placing the terrain becomes a fun little pre-game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
player-placed is fun but relies very heavily on both players knowing what they want out of the terrain. it's very easy for an inexperienced player to lose before even setting up their army, by protecting or not protecting objectives, failing to create somewhere safe to deploy, creating a safe pocket in their own DZ for homers chaff, etc.

it's quite skill-reliant, which is nice, but it's a very particular skill that you'll want your best players to teach to everyone else. you might want a more level playing field.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

There should be guides on how to place terrain tactically. It is really essential in kill team and would make or break armies in 40k.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Better to teach people about terrain and how to use it since it's already in the game, rather then just letting everyone try to figure things out on their own.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

player-placed is fun but relies very heavily on both players knowing what they want out of the terrain. it's very easy for an inexperienced player to lose before even setting up their army, by protecting or not protecting objectives, failing to create somewhere safe to deploy, creating a safe pocket in their own DZ for homers chaff, etc.

it's quite skill-reliant, which is nice, but it's a very particular skill that you'll want your best players to teach to everyone else. you might want a more level playing field.

For sure, but I think you can lose due to terrain with almost any system for setting up. I played an intro game of a historical not long ago where the host set everything up, my assumption was it would be balanced, but I ended up needing to attack across a huge open field towards fortified objectives. Needless to say, I lost badly. I don't think the map was terribly unbalanced, but once my main objective went down and sides were determined I was beyond hosed. Had I blundered setting up terrain myself the loss would likely feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

a fatguy baldspot posted:

We did that in a recent game, with one addition:

The home objectives were shielded behind ruins, otherwise it was placed.