Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Niners having a bye would be absolutely massive in the playoffs, even moreso than home field imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

mllaneza posted:

Besides, how funny is it that the only team with a winning record that the Cowboys have beaten is the Eagles? Because I'm going with :lmao:

It’s pretty gd funny, OP.

Watching the Eagles and Chiefs melt down is almost as magical.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Manoueverable posted:

God it's really going to be Cowboys-Niners in the NFCCG isn't it?

I hate it here, man.

e: agreeing with the calls to get Jamal and DK the hell off my team, absolute wastemen.

I have faith in the Cowboys ability to lose in embarrassing fashion in the divisional round no matter what

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nervous posted:

I have faith in the Cowboys ability to lose in embarrassing fashion in the divisional round no matter what

Yeah, one consequence of the Niners getting a bye is the almost certain prospect of not getting to humiliate the Cowboys for the second time this year and the third consecutive playoff round. It'll be a disappointment, but one I can live with.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
The Rams were not SOSAR all day vs. the ravens until OT.

I hate that they lost, but they're showing they can now play with almost everyone (until they play the niners again).

So far, this team has exceeded all expectations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Manoueverable posted:

We’ll see about the Cowboys over the next few weeks. They’re just now coming into the hardest part of their schedule — they’ve got @Bills, @Dolphins, Lions coming up — while the Eagles are past theirs; you’ve got to figure the Eagles are still favored to win the division.

Such a good week for the Niners. We’re all but locked in as division winners, and we’re in great position for the bye with the Eagles getting their third loss. That first quarter got me pretty worried, especially when Kittle looked like he might be hurt.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

apparently deebo samuel is the first wide receiver to get a rushing and receiving TD in back-to-back games... that's kinda wild that it's never happened before...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coldforge posted:

It’s pretty gd funny, OP.

Watching the Eagles and Chiefs melt down is almost as magical.

Heavens forbid Mahomes may have to play a playoff game on the road at this rate. Unreal.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

harperdc posted:

Heavens forbid Mahomes may have to play a playoff game on the road at this rate. Unreal.

Or they could miss playoffs entirely :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I actually thought drew lock looked decent. He was hard to pin down by the pass rush and usually made good decisions with the ball while under pressure. His int at the end of the game was from getting hit while throwing. He felt a bit more decisive than geno smith. I think there's a few teams around the league where lock would actually be an upgrade over their starter.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

quote:

One day before the 49ers’ Sunday win over the NFC West-rival Seahawks, San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan held a team meeting at the Santa Clara Marriott and predicted a Metcalf meltdown, according to the San Francisco Chronicle’s Michael Silver. The meeting included video clips featuring past fits of rage from Metcalf, and Shanahan wanted his team to capitalize on the potential weakness. He added an incentive to get his point across. 

“We will get 14 [Metcalf] to lose his mind,” Shanahan told his players, per the report. “Christmas present for whoever gets him.”

DK Metcalf is the NFC West’s new Jim Harbaugh :allears:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/11/kyle-shanahan-promised-christmas-present-49er-who-get-under-dk-metcalf-skin

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like how the announcers kept sucking locks dick about the TD throw to Metcalf. "It was a great throw!" No it wasn't. It was behind the WR. If the coverage had been a tad softer, it hits the DB. What it was was a great play by DK.

DB was right there. Ball probably shouldn't have even been thrown. But it worked out.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It was 1 on 1 to his best receiver with the other teams #1 corner out, of course he should've thrown it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it wasn't the prettiest or most on target throw but it was the right decision and IMO that's a more important quality in a QB than godlike accuracy. Make fast and decisive good decisions under pressure.

I'm not saying he's a good QB, mind you. But like, if he played a couple more games like that he'd be making his case that he's good enough to not be relegated to permanent third string status in the NFL.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Lock at least played like he was trying to move the ball. If he'd done the turtle up, 150 yards no picks thing Seattle probably don't cover and then where would they be. I agree, he's not good, but I think more than a couple of teams would like a bad QB that at least crosses the 50 from time-to-time.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The thing is, Lock will most likely go for 150 yards and 3 INTs this week. Which is fine, I don't expect much better.

What's way more worrying to me is that we had a solid period of the team looking like geniuses for dumping Russ and trending in the right direction with rebuilding, but now the pendulum has swung back to what we all suspected in the first place.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Man, I wish the Niners didn't have to play Baltimore on Christmas (or even the Rams in week 18) while the Eagles get a creampuff schedule down the stretch.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Manoueverable posted:

I hate it here, man.

e: agreeing with the calls to get Jamal and DK the hell off my team, absolute wastemen.

They should trade everyone of value who is not on a rookie contract. Rebuild time baby.

And for the love of heck get Lockett to a team where he can get a ring.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

The Rams were not SOSAR all day vs. the ravens until OT.

I hate that they lost, but they're showing they can now play with almost everyone (until they play the niners again).

So far, this team has exceeded all expectations.
Agreed 100%

Your team looks incredible for the talent in the roster and McVay continues to be a top tier coach. I have complete faith in them to be a solid playoff team next year pending injury luck.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

The thing is, Lock will most likely go for 150 yards and 3 INTs this week. Which is fine, I don't expect much better.

What's way more worrying to me is that we had a solid period of the team looking like geniuses for dumping Russ and trending in the right direction with rebuilding, but now the pendulum has swung back to what we all suspected in the first place.

Maybe, but also the eagles secondary is incredibly bad

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It'll come down to how angry the eagles are about being dumpstered the past couple weeks.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I don't trust Lock to put up numbers even against a bad Eagles secondary.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

I don't trust Lock

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

He’s a stone cold Lock to lose

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I believe in Lock and think the seahawks should commit to him long-term.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

They should trade everyone of value who is not on a rookie contract. Rebuild time baby.

Agree with both of these at this point. There is great young talent on the roster mixed with some massively overpaid vets and a handful of expensive but still good folks. Trade anyone they can get any value for and dump as much salary as possible. Assuming we are sticking with John and Pete, they have been finally drafting decently over the past couple of years so lean in on that and see if it was just luck.

I love Lockett and he is consistently the most underrated WR in the NFL. Ship him out to a contender before he has nothing left to get some wider fanfare.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
The game was a lot of fun yesterday, very exciting.

Seeing DK grab Warner live, I missed that Warner shoved him down but DK definitely escalated too much. There was a cool moment afterwards too when Warner came to the sidelines and was standing on the bench riling up the crowd. I should have taken a video, but that was pretty awesome.

Overall the 49ers are who we thought they were although I'm not liking all the injuries piling up. Hopefully they're not serious but if we can keep winning, the bye week is a lot of extra rest.

Edit: My friend who is a Seahawks fan enjoyed the game even though there was this old boomer 49ers lady sitting behind us yelling old lady things about the game/Seahawks the entire time lol.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 11, 2023

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Lifespan posted:

I love Lockett and he is consistently the most underrated WR in the NFL. Ship him out to a contender before he has nothing left to get some wider fanfare.

Future 49ers legend Tyler Lockett :hmmyes:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Coldforge posted:

Given how these things work, if they cut him he would go to the Niners or Rams, but I think there is still a trade market for him.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Pete is the angriest he's ever been and calling out players by name in interviews today, including Jamal Adams. I think he may have just now decided he is retiring this year.

Manoueverable posted:

Eh, trading Russ was still a very good move even if he ends up being above average this year and gives the Broncos another year or two of decent play. It just isn't enough of a good move to overcome the Jamal Adams trade and signing damage. Signing Geno for 3/30 was probably a bad move but not catastrophic, that contract can be exited cheaply after next year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Coldforge posted:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DancingMachine posted:

Pete is the angriest he's ever been and calling out players by name in interviews today, including Jamal Adams. I think he may have just now decided he is retiring this year.

From your lips to the ears of angels.

quote:

Eh, trading Russ was still a very good move even if he ends up being above average this year and gives the Broncos another year or two of decent play. It just isn't enough of a good move to overcome the Jamal Adams trade and signing damage. Signing Geno for 3/30 was probably a bad move but not catastrophic, that contract can be exited cheaply after next year.

Russ is going to win the super bowl this year! The Denver broncos juggernaut is unstoppable!!!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah trading Russ wasn't the mistake here lol, it was locking up all that money in a strong safety who can't play strong safety

This is going to be a really interesting off season for Seattle

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

The Geno contract was fine. Our boy earned it last year even if it was a flash in the pan.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Imo the mistakes PCJS have made in recent history are much more than just trading for and paying Adams.

When they made that trade they were in one of the swings of salary which meant they had a nice amount of cap to work with.

There’s a world where they get a healthy Adams and they used that cap on a few B+ or better FAs and suddenly you’ve got the outlines of solid team.

Instead they did the usual “sign a bunch of bargain bin dudes and hope some pan out”.

The vast majority of personnel and salary decisions post Pats SB and now has been wrong. The 2022 draft was a home run which made people think they got the mojo back!!!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Nervous posted:

The Geno contract was fine. Our boy earned it last year even if it was a flash in the pan.

Geno was never the answer, but he also isn't "the problem." His contract is still team friendly. I was worried that some desperate team would see his completion % last year, drive a dump truck of money to his house, and Seattle would have to consider massively overpaying him. In the end he got a big payday, but didn't completely gently caress the team. He is good enough to stick around while the team tries find a long term answer (and a heavy rebuild).

Is there any reality where the team doesn't move/cut Adams? It feels like he lost what fans he has left here and there isn't much player left.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Lifespan posted:

Geno was never the answer, but he also isn't "the problem." His contract is still team friendly. I was worried that some desperate team would see his completion % last year, drive a dump truck of money to his house, and Seattle would have to consider massively overpaying him. In the end he got a big payday, but didn't completely gently caress the team. He is good enough to stick around while the team tries find a long term answer (and a heavy rebuild).

Is there any reality where the team doesn't move/cut Adams? It feels like he lost what fans he has left here and there isn't much player left.

Geno is definitely your Jimmy G. Occasional great year that isn't sustainable, not really the problem but also not the answer.

May the Seahawks be stuck in that zone for perpetuity (5 or 6 seasons, in NFL time) :pray:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah I don't really think paying middle of the road QBs makes sense as a strategy, even if you are "only" paying them 30MM/year cap hit. That's still a huge chunk of the cap for a guy that is not going to get you to a superbowl. I think you need to be paying single-digits to your QB (or better yet, rookie deal), or paying 50MM for a franchise guy with no in between.
Maybe if you have an elite roster top to bottom with no QB, and somehow you can still afford it, then you pay 30MM to Geno Smith to point guard you to a championship. But even if we have no answer on the horizon I still would cut Geno in 2025 (which IIRC yields an 8MM cap hit for the final void year). With no malice of course.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Good luck finding a single digit QB that is anything more than backup quality or already pinned down as a franchise QB that will eventually get that giant extension. Hard to develop a team when you have a QB that just chucks picks half of the time when they are on the field. I'm not saying Geno is a bargain, but he's fair in today's market for an OK starter. They can move on without him easily after next season or keep him around if depending on the situation. I think the Jimmy G comment is totally correct. Geno could probably be enough to win a SB if the team is loving awesome, but he isn't nearly good enough to carry the team there. Wilson wasn't exactly incredible in the two SB years, but good enough with a great team around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The thing about the Russ trade is they had no other choice. Russ had more or less been signaling if the team didn't make a deep run in the playoffs in 2021 he wanted out. Then he got his hand mangled, the team underperformed and he wanted out. Seahawks got max value for him and got Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, Charles Cross, Boye Mafe, Tyreke Smith, Devon Witherspoon and Derick Hall (oh and Drew Lock i guess lol). Cross, Mafe and Witherspoon will all contribute long term to this team.

There was no repairing the relationship lol, don't act like holding onto Russ was an option.