Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Their new favorite thing to do with Homer seems to be to have him go on overly wrong, too astute for his character rants. I guess it’s better than jerkass Homer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

my god what is up with the recording quality, it sounds like it was done on a USB mic

and did I just see Homer loving thrusting into his wife?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Simpsons is good again!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
If that was going to work at all it should have been him talking to someone entirely different each time it cut, but the only time they did that gag was with him rambling to the dentist. This just has no sense of flow at all, there are no gaps in between his thoughts, so it just makes it look like Homer takes an hour break between every sentence.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

homer famously has deep thoughts about travel weddings, he spends a lot of his time thinking about that stuff

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Groda posted:

I can't stand for this post.

It's a really lovely episode.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Toxic Mental posted:

indeed you did

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

There's a few things that The Simpsons as a general rule never actually shows, bodily fluids like poop, piss, and jizz come to mind, and another one would normally be actual sexual intercourse

I guess we're out of that now

Also the loving weird robotic animation of his eyes just sliding to the right, apparently that's thrusting

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Toxic Mental posted:

homer was soaking, moe was jumping on the bed with his eyes closed

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You know, Fox turned into a hardcore sex channel so gradually I didn't even notice.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Keromaru5 posted:

You know, Fox turned into a hardcore sex channel so gradually I didn't even notice.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
why the gently caress were those orange slices drawn with that degree of detail

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Non Compos Mentis posted:

marge and homer sound like people doing their best impressions but they are really bad at impressions

I’ve heard better versions of their voices from non-actors goofing around on podcasts. Made me think of new Indiana Jones having the face of a 30 something but the voice of an 80 year old, except Ford is kinda trying.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Toxic Mental posted:

Came here to say I coulda happily gone my life and the life of everyone else without having seen that.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

why is this timeline

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i wonder if someone had to be talked down from including a climax in that scene

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
oh you know homer has been strapping marge on like a feed bag

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1734197027112894755

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Very much some writer (or maybe a couple of them) is very angry at some friend or relative and wants to go on a very passive aggressive rant that I don't think really fits with Homer's previously defined socioeconomic status.

I guess the most un-homer thing is complaining about cucumber in signature cocktails.

Riptor posted:

why the gently caress were those orange slices drawn with that degree of detail

I guess because they were worried people wouldn't interpret them as orange slices.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Why is Homer animated like that?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i wonder if someone had to be talked down from including a climax in that scene

Wasn't there an episode where Homer DID come though? I mean, please don't look too far into it, I sure as hell didn't, but I feel like a podcast mentioned it or something. :gonk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SlothfulCobra posted:

Very much some writer (or maybe a couple of them) is very angry at some friend or relative and wants to go on a very passive aggressive rant that I don't think really fits with Homer's previously defined socioeconomic status.

Lol yeah it’s fascinating how the writers room in the early seasons had a large number of single young guys who gambled on football so we got Lisa the Greek, and guessing many of them weren’t from rich backgrounds so the class struggle eps could be relatable.

Fast forward to now when I’ve heard interviews with former staff mentioning Al Jean’s elaborate coffee orders & how one of the producers has so much money he collects dinosaur bones in his mansion.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol yeah it’s fascinating how the writers room in the early seasons had a large number of single young guys who gambled on football so we got Lisa the Greek, and guessing many of them weren’t from rich backgrounds so the class struggle eps could be relatable.

Fast forward to now when I’ve heard interviews with former staff mentioning Al Jean’s elaborate coffee orders & how one of the producers has so much money he collects dinosaur bones in his mansion.

Homer: And another thing! Good luck finding a contractor who shows up on time to repair your fossil room dehumidifier!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wasn't there an episode where Homer DID come though? I mean, please don't look too far into it, I sure as hell didn't, but I feel like a podcast mentioned it or something. :gonk:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems like the joke should have been Homer being completely oblivious to what a Destination Wedding was/is and the entire skit is everyone else filling him in with the most minute details that has him being more and more disillusioned by the prospect. Or go back to some old-fashioned Homer is dumb stuff.

"It's in the Poconos!"
"We've got to go all the way to that puppet-themed restaurant in Shelbyville?!"
"That's Pinnochio's, and they're not puppets, they're marionettes, dad. The Poconos are in Pennsylvania."
"SO IS DRACULA, LISA!"

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I also thought the Poconos were islands

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Seems like the joke should have been Homer being completely oblivious to what a Destination Wedding was/is and the entire skit is everyone else filling him in with the most minute details that has him being more and more disillusioned by the prospect. Or go back to some old-fashioned Homer is dumb stuff.

"It's in the Poconos!"
"That's Pinnochio's, and they're not puppets, they're marionettes, dad. The Poconos are in Pennsylvania."
"SO IS DRACULA, LISA!"

I like this better than mine.

"Woo hoo! Free luxury vacation!"
"It's not free. And it's in a barn."
"D'oh! D'oh!"

Shorter than what we got, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

"It's in the Poconos!"
"SO IS DRACULA, LISA!"

Season 14 Homer

Das Boo posted:

I like this better than mine.

"Woo hoo! Free luxury vacation!"
"It's not free. And it's in a barn."
"D'oh! D'oh!"

Shorter than what we got, though.

Season 4 Homer

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

The closest I can really remember is the sperms going DOH and also maybe Hank Scorpio's cream pockets

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

womb with a view posted:

Bart the Mother is really bad but I think it's the one with this bit so at least it has that going for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YxYtP_kIkI

the exchange with lisa and skinner at the end makes it worth it

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Season 14 Homer

Season 4 Homer

Agreed. Several other golden era tactics are also available for this one:

- Flashback/imagination sequence where something absurd and unexpected happened to him during a destination wedding or he thinks that it means something else (where's my burrito, "ballet")
- He's vaguely moaning but doesn't really explain his problems with it so Marge doesn't get why (the end of You Only Move Twice with the Denver Broncos)
- He does actually have a couple valid reasons but the rest of the family thinks it'd be fun so they're going anyway (New York episode maybe?)
- The way he complains about it is the joke (defending the sugar pile, vaguely literary, impossible for current writers)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Marge could be talking to her girl pals in one scene.

Marge: Can you believe it? A destination wedding? [List of humorous gripes about why they're bad, mostly silly petty things only Marge would care about. Like maybe she thinks the Poconos are full of "mountain folk", idk] I said "Forget it, sister" and threw out the invitation. I mean what kind of moron -

Smash Cut to wide grinning Homer with Season 3 pupils

Homer: You'll never believe it, Marge, a destination wedding! And in the Poconocas, you know how much you've always wanted to see the tropics....

Sorry I didn't go to the Ivy League I can't write the Simpsons

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i would personally write it this way:

Marge and Homer are in bed

Marge looks at her phone. An animated letter reading "paperless invite" slides onto the screen, opening to reveal the text "Evite"
Marge (sounding like the cryptkeeper): Oh! Homer, we just got invited to a wedding! In the Poconos! It's a destination wedding.

Homer (exasperated): Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: "The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you", he said. "They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."

Homer's head beings shaking, impossibly fast, until it is a blurry smudge atop a torso.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Honestly having fun seeing everyone's takes. This is probably what the writer's room used to feel like!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
MARGE: "Ooh, look, Homey, we just got invited to a destination wedding."

HOMER: "Aww!"

MARGE: "It's in the Poconos!"

HOMER: "Aww!"

MARGE: "In Pennsylvania."

HOMER: "Woohoo!"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Marge could be talking to her girl pals in one scene.

Marge: Can you believe it? A destination wedding? [List of humorous gripes about why they're bad, mostly silly petty things only Marge would care about. Like maybe she thinks the Poconos are full of "mountain folk", idk] I said "Forget it, sister" and threw out the invitation. I mean what kind of moron -

Smash Cut to wide grinning Homer with Season 3 pupils

Homer: You'll never believe it, Marge, a destination wedding! And in the Poconocas, you know how much you've always wanted to see the tropics....

Sorry I didn't go to the Ivy League I can't write the Simpsons

I like this one. It makes much more sense for Marge to have a long list of grievances and have Homer instantly ignore all of it. Maybe they just knew having Marge talk for two minutes straight would be too much.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tree Goat posted:

i would personally write it this way:

Marge and Homer are in bed

Marge looks at her phone. An animated letter reading "paperless invite" slides onto the screen, opening to reveal the text "Evite"
Marge (sounding like the cryptkeeper): Oh! Homer, we just got invited to a wedding! In the Poconos! It's a destination wedding.

Homer (exasperated): Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: "The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you", he said. "They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."

Homer's head beings shaking, impossibly fast, until it is a blurry smudge atop a torso.

I want to see this version

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol all of these are so much more entertaining than that clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mantis42 posted:

Homer dances out of the room, singing a badly remembered version of the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" using Pocono, Benihana, etc.