Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My dad was very much into personal computers as soon as he could get one so my family got an Apple IIe when I was a toddler, a Mac LC-II when I was around 5, a Packard Bell Pentium 75MHz when I was around 7, a Dell P2-350 a few years later, and another Dell Willamette+RDRAM P4 (oof) when I was a teenager. My perspective on all these at the time was that they were incomprehensibly complex and expensive, and therefore never to be opened or altered by my child hands. My allowance would have taken several years to replace one, so at least the second was true.

I was interested in learning how they worked though, so at some point after the P4 my dad gave me the option to spend $50 of allowance on a decommissioned Compaq P2 desktop from a state surplus sale. I jumped on this and immediately stole the sound card from the old P1 desktop, as it was also a 14.4 modem and let me give my new desktop some timeslots on the family's dial-up subscription. I ended up spending a hundred bucks or so adding more RAM and a GeForce 4 MX to this system so I could play awesome games like MechWarrior 3.

My parents wanted to send me off to college with a nice new system and I wasn't really confident enough to build one, so I convinced them to get me an Alienware desktop with a Pentium 4 (Northwood, whew) 3.0GHz and a Radeon 9600 XT. I immediately learned about this cool "overclocking" thing and got the CPU up to 3.6, started replacing the heatsink and fans, etc. and by the time I felt like I could justify another desktop a few years later I was more than confident enough to build it myself then.

I buy prebuilts if I need an appliance for a specific purpose and they provide a better deal than something I can build myself on parts, but my main desktop/ gaming machine tends toward a PC-of-Theseus which somewhat precludes prebuilts.

My dad is retired and doesn't want to mess with tinkering, so he and my mom each just have a couple of Thinkpads and if they have any issues they can't figure out they call me. They do their best with a fair bit of competence and regardless I'm eternally grateful for the smooth onramp they gave me into this vocation/hobby, so I am happy to field calls from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I put on the latest WAN show because I needed some background noise while doing some housework and it turns out there's a new issue with the LTT backpack. Apparently on last week's show they were showing off some of its features and one they wanted to show was the dual layer bottom, so they cut one open live on air and it turned out to only have a single layer of material.

On this week's show Linus explained that their manufacturing partner made an unapproved change after they provided the initial samples. Because the product is not as described, LTT will offer customers either extended warranty coverage plus a $25 gift certificate for lttstore.com or they will allow people to return the backpack for a full refund no matter how long it has been since it was purchased. Oh and mentioned they're still working on getting replacements for the defective carabineers that were already known about. Good thing providing support for physical products is cheap and easy :retrogames:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

they cut one open live on air and it turned out to only have a single layer of material.

So they didn’t know about chabuduo even after having several products manufactured in China. Good job on inspecting the finished product, lol; also, random spot checks of every shipment. Which these guys honestly should know?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
non-tech youtube idiots: I'm watching some of the latest videos from that primitive technology guy and it amazes me that he'll spend half the video rehashing basic from-principles stuff like mixing water and dirt to make mud and using friction to create heat and fire in a video where he's demonstrating near-bronze-age levels of metallurgy.

like, no, man, there's going to be thousands of fires around to borrow a light from and if you're at the point where you're methodically harvesting iron-eating bacteria to get a few milligrams of iron you can grab some clay and build a tuyere out of that instead of trying to make a forge out of dirt.

I feel like his target audience is "people who think they can reboot civilization from the stone age after the apocalypse" but he's also reinventing everything from the worst possible first principles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my take is that the Primitive Technology guy is deliberately holding back: he knows enough that he could start leveraging his stick-and-mud inventions to really start developing more advanced tools and techniques and work upwards from there, but I think he understands that if he started building on that, that he would very quickly move out of the strict lane he's defined for himself - the "primitive" in "primitive technology" being the operative word

the problem is that, as you said, he's run into a wall where it's just more and more variations of mud bricks and furnaces to smelt tiny bits of iron prills. If this were a survival game, so to speak, he should have been smelting enough iron to try and get a pick or a hoe or something, and then pursue either more advanced agriculture or mining

more broadly, my feeling is that if he's really unwilling to build out into the next thousand years of human development, then he needs to end the experiment, because he's already proved his point. Maybe he just can't let it go, or that there's still enough new people watching his videos for the first time that it's still raking in enough money for him to keep doing it, even if the folks who were there from the beginning have seen it all

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

I put on the latest WAN show because I needed some background noise while doing some housework and it turns out there's a new issue with the LTT backpack. Apparently on last week's show they were showing off some of its features and one they wanted to show was the dual layer bottom, so they cut one open live on air and it turned out to only have a single layer of material.

On this week's show Linus explained that their manufacturing partner made an unapproved change after they provided the initial samples. Because the product is not as described, LTT will offer customers either extended warranty coverage plus a $25 gift certificate for lttstore.com or they will allow people to return the backpack for a full refund no matter how long it has been since it was purchased. Oh and mentioned they're still working on getting replacements for the defective carabineers that were already known about. Good thing providing support for physical products is cheap and easy :retrogames:

I'm honestly happy that people pushed back against Linus' whole "Trust me, brah" attitude when he said that they had top-quality products and that you wouldn't need a warranty (because... he didn't want his family to have to have to worry about warranties after he died? What?). Just goes to show you that the people who insist they don't need warranties on their products are the ones that need it the most.

How long ago did the backpack come out and it's only now that they decided to check to see if the features they advertised actually were in the backpack? They're a loving gongshow but I just know whoever was still slavishly dedicated to LMG after all the previous debacles, nothing would phase them and they'll probably just doubledown and buy even more backpacks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jirard The Completionist update: Not only did he donate $600K to Alzheimer's research, but he issued a video (which I haven't yet seen but heard about secondhand) acknowledging his mistake, stepping down from his charity and apologizing. I'm sure Muta (SomeOrdinaryGamers) or Jobst are going to release a video on it soon. Out of the possible ways Jirard could have handled the situation, this seems like one of the better ones. His reputation may already be permanently damaged, though.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Jirard The Completionist update: Not only did he donate $600K to Alzheimer's research, but he issued a video (which I haven't yet seen but heard about secondhand) acknowledging his mistake, stepping down from his charity and apologizing. I'm sure Muta (SomeOrdinaryGamers) or Jobst are going to release a video on it soon. Out of the possible ways Jirard could have handled the situation, this seems like one of the better ones. His reputation may already be permanently damaged, though.

Mutahar's response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzjxizna_g

Asmongold's take on the response is also worth watching (only about half way through on this one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSsb9DIAMs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tornhelm posted:

Asmongold's take on the response is also worth watching (only about half way through on this one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSsb9DIAMs

Got a time stamp? That’s an hour long video

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, that sounds about the best that he could do in this situation. It doesn't answer the question about the missing money from the golf tournaments, but those were run by his father, so who knows how much he knew about that money (and if he did address that, I apologize, I haven't seen the video).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Getting plenty of "sorry i got caught" vibes from that lad. :pathetic:

Bet he's just hoping that lawyers don't start circling.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tornhelm posted:

Thank you. I take back what I said: he sounded a lot guiltier and combative in that video than I had been led to believe. I don't understand (well, I do but it sucks and is frustrating) that Muta is being cast as the bad guy on Twitter for exposing what seems to be charity fraud.

e: I never really bought the "well, I want the money not to go to administrative costs" excuse either. It's true that a lot of charities spend a portion of donated money on stuff like salaries. But if you say to any reputable charity, "Hey, I've got over half a million dollars I want to donate to you", they'll all bend over backwards to use the money however you tell them; that's a lot of money! We're not talking about a (relatively) paltry $20 donation to the Ronald McDonald House here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 11, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There is never a time where an asmongold video is worth watching

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thank you. I take back what I said: he sounded a lot guiltier and combative in that video than I had been led to believe. I don't understand (well, I do but it sucks and is frustrating) that Muta is being cast as the bad guy on Twitter for exposing what seems to be charity fraud.

People tend to shoot the messenger. "It's your fault I found out that this person is doing bad things" and all that. People are irrational and will blame the person notifying them of an issue rather than the actual source of the issue.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When Asmon can just be Zack, he can make a good points. But he's so enmeshed in the Asmon character that it's basically impossible to wade through the endless poo poo to get to anything of value.

Playing a character for a stream is one thing, but where is the thought process behind people like him and Dr. Disrespect going "What character should I be? I know! A toxic gamerbro asswipe!" I guess they thought right, since people seem to love that poo poo.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Its a real 'worst person you know made a good point' type situation because mutahar is mostly a reactionary drama youtuber dickhead, and karl jobst is a nazi.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

kirbysuperstar posted:

I tried to watch Asmongold's response to Dan Olson's WoW classic video and I just couldn't make it through because he does the "pause after three seconds and argue with the incomplete sentence" bullshit that is the most bad faith way to engage with anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

I tried to watch Asmongold's response to Dan Olson's WoW classic video and I just couldn't make it through because he does the "pause after three seconds and argue with the incomplete sentence" bullshit that is the most bad faith way to engage with anything.

"reacting" to another video in real-time, by playing the video you're reacting to and pausing it as you go betrays a complete lack of planning and forethought

if you're going to rebut someone, it should be possible to digest their position, form your own thesis, and present it straight, with maybe the occasional direct quotation if you're addressing a specific statement

but I guess these streamers can't "stream" if they can't do it on-the-fly

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

make linking to react videos bannable imo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inept posted:

I am going to post a react video but only to something awful posts.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Isn't quoting a post the same thing, really?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Inept posted:

Or, here's a thought, you could just not watch it instead of crying about it?

Overall, I found Asmon's discussion of it interesting because he goes into detail about the various points Jirard makes, and for a tl;dr you can skip to about the 1h30s mark (when Jirard's video ends) to his summary that Jirard spent most of the video arguing about points that either don't matter that much or he doesn't have the authority to pass judgement on (whether fraud was committed etc) and he didn't address the main issue (the lack of donating the money for 10 years) adequately.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

isn't this dude a nazi

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Tornhelm posted:

it was a joke and I didn't watch it

but now i think it should be bannable for real this time :hehe:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

VostokProgram posted:

isn't this dude a nazi
i don't think so, but he sounds like the person to have a bunch of constant internal monologues out of a school shooter's manifesto

he also doesn't interact that much with other people (shocker!) so he's not platforming people the same way grass-touching "enlightened centrist" influencers do

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tornhelm posted:

Overall, I found Asmon's discussion of it interesting because he goes into detail about the various points Jirard makes, and for a tl;dr you can skip to about the 1h30s mark (when Jirard's video ends) to his summary that Jirard spent most of the video arguing about points that either don't matter that much or he doesn't have the authority to pass judgement on (whether fraud was committed etc) and he didn't address the main issue (the lack of donating the money for 10 years) adequately.

That's basically what Muta said also. Jirard kept bringing up accusations of "embezzlement", which to my knowledge has never been one of the points made against him. I don't know if it's an attempt to make himself look wrongly accused (it probably is this) or a "My 'I did not embezzle charity funds' shirt has people asking a lot of questions answered by my shirt" situation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I only like my YouTuber beefs when they get into waving guns around on stream, personally :colbert:

And/or getting parodied by meatcanyon

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, here's a question: how many of you have still bought pre-builts, despite being a hardware hobbyist?
Depends.
For myself, I will do it all. I kinda of like doing the research every 4 or so years and find the actual build process kind of fun and relaxing with a sense of accomplishment at the end. Unless it doesn't do first boot :argh:

Not myself? 100% prebuilt nowdays.

Bought Mrs. Slidebite an Asus Zen All-in-one that she loves for her personal use. I'm migrating to mini PCs for pretty much everyone else. They are amazing, so HTPC or Grandma computers, they're perfect.

I have zero desire to build another PC for someone else, be it my mom, in laws or wife. Hell, for myself I find my surface Pro gets 50%+ of my daily usage.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

That's basically what Muta said also. Jirard kept bringing up accusations of "embezzlement", which to my knowledge has never been one of the points made against him. I don't know if it's an attempt to make himself look wrongly accused (it probably is this) or a "My 'I did not embezzle charity funds' shirt has people asking a lot of questions answered by my shirt" situation.

I feel like what Jirard was doing was responding to both the videos and the claims people kept saying on Twitter (there were a lot of people there claiming embezzlement, that he spent the money on the eshop stuff, and even that his mother never had dementia, among other unfounded accusations), but doing it in a way where he's making it sound like those who made researched, reasoned videos are making the same claims as Twitter randos reacting emotionally to what happened. It's pretty manipulative, as is going into detail about how the 2023 money is accounted for when not even the Twitter randos were going after that, since we won't even know what the Open Hand Foundation is claiming until next year when they file their taxes, then less detail on the years where people think the math doesn't add up. It should also be noted that people have been asking to see bank statements from day 1 to confirm the money's been there the whole time, and those are not among his "receipts" despite the fact that it would instantly shut up a lot of the conspiracy talk.

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

To be fair the second video in the saga did pull up to the line of embezzlement claims, since it basically says "one year they reported ~100k in earnings on their tax filings, indieland is on record as being 90k in earnings via tiltify / official statements, and then if you add up all of the listed prices for sponsors on the golf tournament it adds up to way more than 10k, so they probably brought in 130-150k in money and only reported 100-110k, so where is the golf tournament money" with a side of noting that the charity golf tournament predated the OHF / indieland formation, and also that you pay for the golf tournament sponsorship by mailing them a check directly.

This is never stated explicitly for good reason, but the vibe is that essentially Indieland / OHF was a cover for the mis-handling of charity funds from the golf tournament that his dad runs. It's also the more significant of the allegations because a: it implies actual charity fraud / embezzlement, and b: it affects businesses and sponsors who put their name and face on a thing, not just random internet people donating to a charity stream, and sadly those people are much more likely to be able to force accountability, which is probably why they moved so quickly to say "we donated the money please stop talking about us before important people get wind of this."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steve once again making a whole rear end video after seeing a comment that made him mad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRF2bDl-u8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let's be honest if we had a whole-rear end production company to produce rebuttal videos for internet arguments there is not one of us here who would forego using that power to win aforementioned arguments

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not sure if I've posted this guy in here before, the videos are really worth watching. "The Secret Life of..." are remasters of an 80s TV series he made.

https://www.youtube.com/@timhunkin1

If you are in London then you can also visit https://novelty-automation.com/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The OG Secret Life Of videos were my poo poo back in the day. The local PBS here played them a lot

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
He has reuploaded the old ones, with a short commentary about the making of after.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not tech related, but the mention of Secret Life Of made me think of Sean Charmatz' series called Secret World Of Stuff.
Here's the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02AlRs-zlW8

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Thanks Ants posted:

Not sure if I've posted this guy in here before, the videos are really worth watching. "The Secret Life of..." are remasters of an 80s TV series he made.

https://www.youtube.com/@timhunkin1

If you are in London then you can also visit https://novelty-automation.com/

And remember, if you’re down in Cornwall, the Eden project has got some of his work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kerbtree posted:

And remember, if you’re down in Cornwall, the Eden project has got some of his work there.

I just had a quick look at Hunkin's page about his stuff in the Eden Project and I don't remember any of it still being there when I went in 2018. Is there still some?