Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Quackles posted:

:what: ...in full sentences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Quackles posted:

The TSA makes you do what??

unmask for facial recognition shits, innit?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah they ask you to pull your mask down for a second while they verify your ID.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

When I have to unmask at the TSA, I take in a big breath, hold it while unmasked, then exhale vigorously when I put my mask back on, thereby hopefully ensuring my next breath won’t contain any unfiltered air. This is probably as efficacious as avoiding stepping on cracks so you won’t break your mother’s back but I figure it can’t hurt.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DominoKitten posted:

When I have to unmask at the TSA, I take in a big breath, hold it while unmasked, then exhale vigorously when I put my mask back on, thereby hopefully ensuring my next breath won’t contain any unfiltered air. This is probably as efficacious as avoiding stepping on cracks so you won’t break your mother’s back but I figure it can’t hurt.

Same. So far so good!

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Honestly it could have been also happened on the aircraft when I foolishly drank water or whatever, or maybe sometime during the multiple days of in-person meetings that are just so incredibly vital that having them over zoom is just impossible because ???

Ed: also if this is what COVID feels like while on antivirals and having been vaccinated a billion times, well, I’m glad I avoided it this long.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I scheduled a flushot at my local CVS and their website said you don't need to schedule Novavax because all locations had it. When I arrived they were out of both vaccines and said that all the regional CVS were out. They had Moderna and Pfizer but said that both expire this week and they recommended that people not use them.

I rescheduled at a different CVS and this time selected Moderna but I can't tell if 2023-2024 means it's the monovalent or not and when I called and asked the pharmacist didn't understand the question. He also said that he couldn't guarantee that either vaccine would actually be available for my appointment on Monday.

I feel like the system remains completely broken. I've had to fly multiple times, spend days in hospitals and my mask is the only thing I have to protect myself. I will have to keep flying for weeks and months to come and it's incredibly frustrating to get constant reminders that we're all on our own in this infectious disease crisis that literally will never end.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
CVS is full of lies. You have to call that physical location on the morning of to be sure they have a bottle they can physically see at that moment. I had more luck with RiteAid, the process was equally dumb, but at least in the end they had the juice.

The only vax anyone has should be the new ones. The old ones are no longer authorized for use in the US. I mean it’s possible some mom-and-pop has an old bottle in the back of the fridge, but no, you can’t book an appointment for the bivalent or get the bivalent anymore.

It’s true everything sucks though

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’ve had 100% reliable access with Walgreens availability of the vaccine, though they did have issues in October, apparently. I went in November, and wasn’t aware of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have a CVS close by both work and home so I'll call first before my next appointment and ping-pong between them until I succeed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DeceasedHorse posted:

multiple days of in-person meetings

I think I found it!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

DeceasedHorse posted:

Ed: also if this is what COVID feels like while on antivirals and having been vaccinated a billion times, well, I’m glad I avoided it this long.
An awful lot of people have this experience :smith:

Hope you're feeling better, goon

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Anne Whateley posted:

CVS is full of lies. You have to call that physical location on the morning of to be sure they have a bottle they can physically see at that moment. I had more luck with RiteAid, the process was equally dumb, but at least in the end they had the juice.
when i got my last shot, i scheduled it at cvs. they emailed me a calendar appointment. i checked in on their website from the parking lot a couple minutes early and went inside to find that the pharmacy was closed for the day. i asked an employee about it and they treated me like an idiot, which i am, but that wasn't the problem this time. i was able to reschedule it the same day and get it at a different location

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Anne Whateley posted:

CVS is full of lies

Nothing to add this about covers every experience I’ve had

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Walgreens supremacy, never had an issue with my tests or shots there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I scheduled flu and Pfizer COVID for tomorrow at a Walgreens I pass on my way to work. If it all works out I'll cancel the CVS appointment. I appreciate the recommendations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Trip report: I’ve been dawdling on getting the flu / booster shot and finally remembered to do it. Made a same-day reservation at CVS this morning for 11 AM and had no issues at all. This was in Connecticut, maybe better supply here?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I scheduled flu and Pfizer COVID for tomorrow at a Walgreens I pass on my way to work. If it all works out I'll cancel the CVS appointment. I appreciate the recommendations.

My visit was easy as cake. Hopefully I didn't already catch something during my last trip, and won't have to travel again until these take effect.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

The only vax anyone has should be the new ones. The old ones are no longer authorized for use in the US. I mean it’s possible some mom-and-pop has an old bottle in the back of the fridge, but no, you can’t book an appointment for the bivalent or get the bivalent anymore.

It’s true everything sucks though

this is true.

costco is the light. was easy as hell to get novavax there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

Trip report: I’ve been dawdling on getting the flu / booster shot and finally remembered to do it. Made a same-day reservation at CVS this morning for 11 AM and had no issues at all. This was in Connecticut, maybe better supply here?

Oops guess I waited too long, tested positive the day after the booster.

I actually only tested because my wife positive with the darkest T line I’ve seen on a home test. Then my test had the faintest line I’ve seen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend and her spouse and kid all got Covid the week before Xmas. They live in Canada so not sure how up to date their vaccines are. ANYWAY her mom and brother came out for Xmas from the US; pretty sure they should have cancelled, but she insisted everyone was feeling better.

Narration: that does not mean you're not contagious.

So surprise surprise, when mom and brother left for the airport, he tested positive. Not sure if the airplane will let him get on the flight.

But I have no loving sympathy for them. She just haaaaad to see them because the kid was so excited about uncle coming out, and grandma too, and no one wore masks of course, and they visited literally in the spring but they had to see them for Xmas.

Meanwhile someone at work had to bring their kid in because daycare was closed, and the kid was coughing all over everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’re at the stage of the pandemic where I think (a) the virus is wildly transmissible but only very occasionally serious, even for the unvaxxed and unboosted and (b) very few people are taking serious precautions anymore.

When I got covid a few weeks ago I got the mildest responses from everyone. These are the same people who freaked out during core pandemic. I know someone who cooked a christmas dinner for their family while testing positive (albeit wearing a mask, I guess).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also the common wisdom of “home tests don’t give good results” is pretty harmful since it discourages people from testing. And if you don’t test positive, you aren’t going to take any precautions.

Personally, for our most recent Covid case, they seemed to work fine and had a clear transition from barely a line to a solid line for days then barely a line then nothing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend and her spouse and kid all got Covid the week before Xmas. They live in Canada so not sure how up to date their vaccines are.

The newest vaccine has been widely available for 100% free in most major pharmacies in Canada for months now so, no real excuse for them not to get it up here.

Still have a lovely uptake though. Think it was like, around 15% for the latest booster as of a recent count?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean to be fair in the states. I don't see really anyone wearing masks except for one guy at work who's got a compromised immune system. He and I are the only ones that mask up at work, and outside of that I don't really see anyone masking at all.

In the case of my friend, I understand she doesn't want to deal with a 4-year-old autistic kid throwing a fit about wearing a mask, but in that case I would at least take her out of her dance and swim classes where she's around coughing sick kids non-stop.

And then on a personal note, I've had two interviews for pretty good state jobs; I didn't get either one, and I wonder if part of that's because I wore a mask to both interviews. They were for different agencies but still no one else in either building wore a mask.

Edit: they were allowed on the plane with masks on. I wonder how long they're going to keep them on. What kind of masks they are. Apparently her brother's throat hurt so badly he couldn't even swallow spit.

Edit 2: of course they're unvaccinated other than the very first two parter shot because they're super conservative and Trump supporters. And they only got that shot because they couldn't go to the grocery store otherwise. But my friends can't help but, she loves them so much. Even though they support someone who would see her and her spouse killed.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 28, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Vegetable posted:

We’re at the stage of the pandemic where I think (a) the virus is wildly transmissible but only very occasionally serious, even for the unvaxxed and unboosted

It's the third leading cause of death in the US. That doesn't include the 7.5% of people the CDC estimates pick up chronic symptoms/illness from the course of an infection.

Unless you meant something else by "only very occasionally serious"?

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 28, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vegetable posted:

We’re at the stage of the pandemic where I think (a) the virus is wildly transmissible but only very occasionally serious, even for the unvaxxed and unboosted and (b) very few people are taking serious precautions anymore.

The virus has basically the same intrinsic severity that it had in 2020. That is, if a wizard dropped Omicron XBB.1.5 (or perhaps JN.1, but there’s no specific data on it yet) into Wuhan in 2020, it would have approximately the same case fatality ratio as the virus that was historically found there in 2020. It would spread notably more quickly, but e.g. there’d be little difference aboard Diamond Princess.

The changing ratio of deaths/hospitalizations/ICU stays per infection is mostly down to the fact that almost no one is immune‐naive to the virus at this late date. They have been vaccinated, infected or both, and often repeatedly.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There's definitely some variability in intrinsic deadliness--delta was worse than the earlier strains after all, and apparently more likely to cause long covid.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So I guess we finally have Covid in the house? Congrats on keeping it at bay for three years, I guess. I’m still feeling well but the five year old has a fever, is snotty, coughing and is complaining that the food doesn’t taste of anything…

Not a rapid test to be found in the house and the supermarkets don’t carry them anymore. Pharmacies are closed for the holiday. And maybe the test result doesn’t matter much anyway.

At least that solved the mystery of what the fever was her cousin came down with on Christmas Day.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.healthpoint.co.nz/covid-19/?covidTesting=rats

This should list the nearest point you can pick up a RAT test.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Friend's anti-vax brother who visited her over the holidays even though everyone knew she had Covid, is in the hospital with a severe ear and throat infection. He flew back home, which I am amazed the airlines were like "well sure just mask up."

That was something missing from the movie Contagion: we saw people who contacted Patient Zero and how they died, and all the close-ups of things they touched. But a lot of them flew from airports. We missed a lot of infection "omg" from people chilling in the lounges or airplanes, spreading the world's deadliest chain letter.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Saros posted:

https://www.healthpoint.co.nz/covid-19/?covidTesting=rats

This should list the nearest point you can pick up a RAT test.

I’m not taking a 20-hour flight to pick up a test, but thanks anyway.

As I said, I don’t think the result matters much anyway. Whatever the outcome, I couldn’t trust a negative on a RAT, so we’ll just assume it’s COVID and act accordingly.

BTW, the national authorities’ recommendations for Covid are the same as for the common cold. Don’t see elderly relatives, don’t go to work until you feel better. Very convenient, since it means there is no need for the government to make sure test distribution works. Very inconveniently makes Covid spread like wildfire.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I recovered from COVID about three weeks ago. I have to say it’s continued to suck. I’m having the dreaded long covid cough. I can’t make it through more than a few sentences without a sputter of cough. It’s messed with my brain because I can’t talk properly to people and I can’t eat a whole lot of stuff, since they worsen the cough. I’ve taken four different cough medications with no improvement. I feel lucky that I didn’t, like, have to go to the hospital but this is still sucky.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Vegetable posted:

I recovered from COVID about three weeks ago. I have to say it’s continued to suck. I’m having the dreaded long covid cough. I can’t make it through more than a few sentences without a sputter of cough. It’s messed with my brain because I can’t talk properly to people and I can’t eat a whole lot of stuff, since they worsen the cough. I’ve taken four different cough medications with no improvement. I feel lucky that I didn’t, like, have to go to the hospital but this is still sucky.

If it helps, the cough at least probably isn't long COVID. Too early to call it that (I think the clinical definition is symptoms that begin or persist 4-6 weeks post recovery). Not that I'm at all trying to minimize, last time I got the flu I had a persistent cough for 6 months. It's not fun, especially when your sternum/ribs start to hurt from all the coughing. But I'm just trying to throw a little sunshine your way, you'll probably get over the cough, though I'm sure it doesn't feel like it now (assuming you haven't been gifted with asthma post-COVID).

Try to desist from anything physical for awhile yet still.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Talk to a doctor about getting prescribed some codeine, imo. I've read the occasional article arguing about its effectiveness vs its risk as a narcotic but in my family it's the T-1000 of effective cough suppressants, so don't take it if you think you're at risk of becoming addicted I guess

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I’m not taking a 20-hour flight to pick up a test, but thanks anyway.

Lol poo poo wrong thread whoopsie.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So I guess we finally have Covid in the house? Congrats on keeping it at bay for three years, I guess. I’m still feeling well but the five year old has a fever, is snotty, coughing and is complaining that the food doesn’t taste of anything…

Not a rapid test to be found in the house and the supermarkets don’t carry them anymore. Pharmacies are closed for the holiday. And maybe the test result doesn’t matter much anyway.

At least that solved the mystery of what the fever was her cousin came down with on Christmas Day.

If you're in the US you can still order free covid tests once a year through USPS and they show up within like 2 days

https://store.usps.com/store/results?Ntt=covid&_requestid=377312

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Not in the US but thanks for the tip. By tomorrow the pharmacy in town will be open again.

Her taste/smell came back this morning but also she is now vomiting. Fun all around. Is vomiting still a common covid symptom?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I started having a sore throat last Tuesday, felt worse in the morning, and took off work. Took a COVID test Thursday, results were invalid. Took a new test Friday, results were a very solid positive. As far as I'm aware, this is my first time getting COVID. I've been vaxxed and boostered, but the last booster was over a year ago. Emailed my doctor on Friday asking about Paxlovid and still haven't heard anything back. How rough is the recovery process without Paxlovid? I think I'm already on a few prescriptions that would interact with it, so I'm not sure if they'd actually prescribe it to me or not.

My symptoms have all been improving over time, but my big concern is that I started feeling some mild pain on the right side of my chest around 1-2 hours ago that's been persistent. I think it's probably indigestion or something (made the mistake of ordering pizza and wings last night) but I don't want to ignore it if it turns out to be serious.

My partner is starting on Paxlovid today though, so hopefully at least she'll be recovering soon.

Edit/update: took some Tums and the chest pain subsided, so that's a relief.

YoursTruly fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Follow up on long covid. About a month since recovery as a fully vaxxed person. The insane coughing has gotten better, but I’ve still got no appetite. I’m at 30 to 50% of my usual intake. It reaaaaally sucks when you’re on a drat vacation. And then of course I got poisoned by the little food I ate so I’ve literally had zero calories today.