Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Count Thrashula posted:

We have a ~9 year old dog that we've had for about 3 years. She's absolutely a sweetheart and wonderful, however now we have a 1 year old child, and she's become a menace. We can't get her to stay away from the kid while he's eating, she's barking all the time when she doesn't get attention, etc. My wife stays at home all day with the dog and child and she's losing her mind. It's probably just bad exacerbating bad training that we didn't realize we were setting up before we had a kid.

I've never done formal training with a dog before, is 9 too late to train a pup? Are things like "hey please be calm when you're not the center of attention" and "hey please stop trying to bowl over the kid when he's eating goldfish" things that can be fixed with training?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I didn't see a dedicated training thread.

edit-- Rosie tax

It is not too late. It will be harder than with a puppy but it's not impossible.

The basics of teaching her sit, down, stay, etc can work wonders by giving the dog something to do instead of the bad behavior so start there. It's not going to work when the kid is eating obviously, so you'll have to start it with her separately. Also if you've been in the habit of giving her treats off of your plates or whatever you're gonna have to hard stop that because she might just be thinking "hey tiny human where's my share".

e: edited in quote for new page context

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You really need to keep in mind that dogs do not instinctively know that babies and children are the same category of animal as you, so yes you absolutely should spend some time with a professional trainer and make sure your situation is as safe as possible. Err on the side of caution.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I would say dogs do know that children are different, but they also just get jealous because they're dumb rear end children themselves

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I feel like many dogs can understand that, like, a 4-year-old is a human equivalent of a puppy, but I'm not confident they pick that up with babies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Getting a lot of comments on how gentle and well-behaved Campion is, not to mention handsome, which is extremely flattering. Hopefully he continues this way as we approach the seven-month mark.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So after making my new house a hotel for some friends dogs and caring for the worlds’s best-behaved chiweenie and a sassier pomsky, I had to get my own dog again. I had dogs growing up (my last dog passed shortly after I graduated college) so I’m not a first time dog owner but I’m no expert and I want to be sure I’m doing things right

This is Newton (right), formerly Kris (which he thankfully didn’t respond to).

He is supposedly a Husky/Golden mix but I don’t buy the husky part. He has no curl in his tail, and has been totally silent except for one whine in the car. The shelter I adopted him from said when he played with other dogs he had some herding tendencies, and he walks with a low, pacing gait like a border collie or pointer. Apparently one of the other dogs at the shelter managed to dig their way out and Newton followed them, but then stayed by the fence he had just broken through with no desire to run off and explore. I adopted him because he’s extremely sweet, gentle, the right size and energy level for my home and block for walks and weekend hikes, and looking like a big fox didn’t hurt either.

Anyway, he is about a year old, and doesn’t know most things. He is extremely passive and timid, but perfectly housebroken. But he doesn’t know his name or any commands. He gets very nervous around new situations, but people don’t bother him. He would pull away from the car when I took him home because the only other car ride he got was to an airplane from Puerto Rico and then to a vet in Vermont, but didn’t mind when I picked him up. He got along great with the other dogs at the shelter and was apparently obsessed with his mom but they were adopted separately for her sake. He was adopted to another family and returned after 24 hours; they had a rambunctious 4 month old GSD puppy who he apparently snapped at, likely he was cornered. He doesn’t seem to seek people out for pets yet, but doesn’t shy away from them, and seems to get into it especially when you find The Spot.

He very nervously explored the house when I brought him home and was magnetically attracted to anything soft like a rug to lay on (I have wood and linoleum floors). Once I set his crate up he went into that and doesn’t show much desire to leave it.

I have the crate set up in my room which is down the hallway to the kitchen which leads to the back yard. He isn’t yet comfortable in my room, just his crate.

He won’t leave the crate to go potty (but he won’t make a mess inside it either). At first I had to pull him out. Obviously I don’t want to do that but he would hold it for a whole day if I didn’t, and as soon as I got him outside he would relieve himself immediately with no problem. The least dramatic solution was to move the crate with him in it until he was close enough to the door, then he’d leave the crate to go outside.

I only got him Wednesday and I know things will take time for him to relax and get comfortable. But I want to know:

1. Is there any danger to him getting comfortable by moving the crate with him in it to near the door so he can go out for potty breaks?
2. Should I ever deny him access to the crate? I brought him back from going outside to do his business last night and he didn’t recognize where the crate was. I set up a blanket like a bed and he sat on it for an hour and enjoyed some pets. No shaking or panting, but no tail wagging either. When I moved the crate back into my room he found it and crawled in and didn’t want to come out again.

Thank you, and I loving love my new buddy.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That is a very cute firefox you have there. And it can take several weeks or a month for a dog to start to feel comfortable depending on their history. Some fosters/ adopters ive seen stories from had to remove the tops of crates to carry the dog outside for bathroom breaks because they didnt want to leave the den so if he leaves when hes near the door he has less of a hurdle to clear. When I brought Kedah home the first night she jumped onto my bed to be near me but i could feel her shaking against my leg like she was worried. It may be a little bit before he picks up this is new home and he can get comfortable.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 9, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

i own every Bionicle posted:

This is Newton (right)

:buddy:

My family dog when I was a kid was named Newton. He looks like a real sweetheart. I hope he starts feeling more comfortable in his new home soon!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Newton is cute!

This is Nessie

She and Griff are getting comfortable with each other. I told my wife we couldn't do three dogs but here we are.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Our pups are coming up on 6 months and will be due to get spayed and neutered soon. How long does the vet typically recommend they get to heal? I'm assuming during that time we'll need to keep them separated unless closely monitored and I hadn't even thought about the logistics of that. At this age they don't really play rough together anymore but for some reason I don't like to think about they always mouth at each others genitals.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He is supposedly a Husky/Golden mix but I don’t buy the husky part. He has no curl in his tail, and has been totally silent except for one whine in the car.

Very cool dog! I dunno I can see it, he has the Husky head and ears. The tail posture and him being quit are very likely just his mental state, also the unwillingness to come out of his crate. When I adopted Gabriel he spent the first four days hiding behind a china cabinet, and then the next several days in his own crate, I coaxed him out with trails of cream cheese:

Flesh Forge posted:

This is his fourth day with me now and he's just getting willing to come out of his crate and approach me if I do this kind of looney toons poo poo:

don't be too surprised if he starts barking quite a lot, all the time, once he gets a little bit settled (a lot of dogs become super vigilant once they get over the initial "stay hidden, stay silent" phase in a new home), and I would not be shocked if he starts carrying his tail like a husky either.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

Newton is so beautiful, looking forward to hearing more about him when he settles in.

We adopted a quiet, timid husky mix nearly 3 months ago and it's a beautiful thing watching them slowly come out of their shell and gain confidence.

I remember waking her up on day 8 and being surprised by her confidently walking out into the living room, doing a big stretch and her first awooo. It seemed like the moment she had realized and accepted that she lived here now.

I could definitely see that being a Golden and Siberian Husky mix. That being said, following the DoggyDNA subreddit has been really interesting, sometimes the results of their DNA testing can really surprise you.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

He is supposedly a Husky/Golden mix but I don’t buy the husky part. He has no curl in his tail, and has been totally silent except for one whine in the car. The shelter I adopted him
We had a very similar looking/size dog (but the black version) and she definitely had some herding dog in her. There are quite a few Spitz-type herding breeds that would bring physical characteristics similar to a husky like double coat, curled tail, pointed ears.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Golden German Shepard

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Still dealing with my dog and food issues. Vet prescribed her hydrolyzed food, and itnwas chicken based, i told her when she eats anything chicken flavored she has massove diarrhea..

This is chicken and she told me it wouldn't cause anything like that herebl we are less than 49 hours with massove squirts and diarrhea

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

fyi both my little terrier mutts have/had herding behavior, especially Darla had it big time and she was only about 13 pounds - there's not any herder really close to that size or appearance that I know of. mutts can manifest weird stuff :3:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

fyallm posted:

Still dealing with my dog and food issues. Vet prescribed her hydrolyzed food, and itnwas chicken based, i told her when she eats anything chicken flavored she has massove diarrhea..

This is chicken and she told me it wouldn't cause anything like that herebl we are less than 49 hours with massove squirts and diarrhea

There’s a vegetarian HA mix too, iirc, but it’s not as appetizing so it may or may not work for you.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Engineer Lenk posted:

There’s a vegetarian HA mix too, iirc, but it’s not as appetizing so it may or may not work for you.

Oo thats good to know, ill look.imto that

They did a pancreatitis test and it came back.. positive? Im still not really sure what it means.

She flenched when they touched her side where it is.

They also tried to give her pepcid to see if that helps as well.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement about Newton, but shame on those of you who have mentioned other dogs as examples and not posted pictures. Especially Kaiser Schnitzel with a black colored version of him.

I want to reiterate my questions and clarify.

When I got him, after the first night he would venture out of his crate a little once in a while to explore or eat. And if I gave him a rawhide chew he would gnaw on it a bit, and nose around a toy. But now, he seems to run into his crate as soon as he knows where it is and shut down once he is inside. And he won’t come out to eat or anything unless he sees the door to the outside. And when I get him outside, his leash manners have gotten better and he tends to follow me and be a lot less frantic.

He used to try to get back inside, but now he tends to avoid going back indoors. At first, I thought that it was because the doors were making a scary noise, so I left them open, but it didn’t make any difference. He won’t go up the stairs anymore to get back inside.

So he seemed to be comfortable more in his crate and outside than in the rest of the house and not want to make progress in the rest of the house for any reason.

Would it be a good idea to deny the crate for a little while so he can make progress in the the house?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sounds like the crate is the only place he feels safe and I wouldn't deny him that.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'd say just be patient, lots of treats but no rawhide. It's made with really bad chemicals and can be bad for dogs long term and just make him as comfortable as you can, eventually he will have to come out for a drink or food and just praise the living hell out of him when that happens.

I also certainly wouldn't take the crate away either. You can't force him to relax, you need to be patient.

In other news, Frejas recovering from her 2nd eye surgery. I'm hoping we don't have to have another one before she finishes growing. She's 8.5 months now and she is developing a major stubborn streak too.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Would it be a good idea to deny the crate for a little while so he can make progress in the the house?

Nah. 3 days/3 weeks/3 months are the milestones and you’re just barely past the 3 day mark. It took my dog about a month to start venturing away from the couch for any significant span of time, two months to come in my office (I WFH), and now (6 months in) she’s basically attached to my hip or on my bed the vast majority of the time.

E: she’s also maybe some kind of primitive or pariah dog mix, looks like a slightly smaller black Carolina dog with a broken ear. I didn’t see the curved tail carriage for the first month either.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 11, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Ok thanks. I know I need to be patient, I just got worried that he seemed to regress from coming out easily to refusing to come out, and at one point, I didn’t want to force him out but when I finally did and got him outside he immediately took a massive leak and dump and it was clear he had been holding it for a really long time.

It would be easier if I could tempt him with something but he doesn’t seem motivated by treats. If he is stressed he won’t take anything. I can seem to calm him with pets and reassurance but I can’t tempt him with it.

Any tips for getting him out of the crate for bathroom breaks and back into the house more easily? Moving the crate to near the door helps, but when he gets back into the house he is stressed because he can’t find the crate, and that makes him unwilling to go back in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds like the crate is the only place he feels safe and I wouldn't deny him that.

yeah I think this is pretty normal, just let him feel safe there for a while and coax him out by showing him that good things are outside, let him decide to come out rather than force it.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Nah. 3 days/3 weeks/3 months are the milestones and you’re just barely past the 3 day mark. It took my dog about a month to start venturing away from the couch for any significant span of time, two months to come in my office (I WFH), and now (6 months in) she’s basically attached to my hip or on my bed the vast majority of the time.

yeah gabriel was about the same, didn't really want to come out of his crate without coaxing for several weeks and now we have a similar very close relationship. I still feed him inside his crate - it's always handy to have your dog willing to be in a crate even if you aren't going to rely on one day to day, to make things like vet visits or going to the groomer less stressful for him.

Any tips for getting him out of the crate for bathroom breaks and back into the house more easily? Moving the crate to near the door helps, but when he gets back into the house he is stressed because he can’t find the crate, and that makes him unwilling to go back in.

keep some moderately valuable treats in your pocket and basically just pay him for it the first few times, "after you come in / come to me I'll give you this yummy thing" and mix it with praise/petting, and gradually you should stop needing treats every single time as he gets habituated to coming when called

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 11, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'll second the high-value treats suggestion. Cheese, fish, bacon, hell, even butter. Teaching your dog that you have The Good poo poo is not a bad thing, so long as you don't over-treat them over the long term.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I’ll keep trying but I have yet to find a treat that really motivates him. Blue buffalo training bites, sardines, slices of a porkchop, hot dogs. smoked salmon, and a slice of a lamb chop are all worth eating but not worth leaving the crate for. Peanut butter and regular kibble are both mid tier. And he doesn’t care for freeze-dried chicken treats or cheddar cheese at all.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 11, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah especially in the first few days, fear outweighs curiosity and food drive, that's not that unusual either. What I did with Gabriel was leave a trail of little gobs of cream cheese leading to me, sitting on the floor with my back to him, and any time he actually made it to me I gave him a bigger gob of more cream cheese :3:

e: and I made him go a little farther each time

the jackpot at the end for doing the thing is fairly important but it's also important to reward any progress at all, when you're first getting started. try really, really hard not to startle or frighten him whenever he's doing something new also.

e: it took like TWO WEEKS before he would come out of his crate to take something from my hand without the trail of crumbs schtick

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I’m generally of the opinion that if a dog is too agitated to take treats it’s probably a better use of my time to get a book and just hang out near them. You’ll be less scary when you’re focused on something else and not making eye contact or putting out all the ‘look at me’ signals, and they’ll get a chance to venture at their own pace.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Little Coco (now 9 months old corgi) actually had a good interaction with a border collie pup (7 months according to the owner) at the beach yesterday. She's very outgoing towards humans, but very shy/defensive around fellow dogs, even if she's got a size advantage.

It was a crowded, noisy environment, but she sniffed a butt, let the other puppy sniff her butt, and did not growl or seem nervous. It's such heartwarming progress and I'm feeling hopeful for the future. Puppy tax:

Bonus: some joker brought a hedgehog to the beach

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
A bunch of great advice already posted, but in addition to the Newton chat:

Agree that hanging out low-pressure style near his crate and allowing him to decide to come out would be a good approach. Everything is new and scary for him. He will start to make progress over time and you can reward that with super slow, gentle pets and whispered affirmation, then eventually cheese or whatever.

When we adopted Korra she was required to be spayed upon adoption and so she was k-holing the first two days. Even so, for another 2 or 3 days, she wouldn't eat or take treats from us. During that time, I would lay a bunch of blankets just outside her cage and lay on the floor with her during the day and sleep there at night.

After a few days she started to take cheese from us, and for a long time cheese was the only treat she enjoyed. Her husky tail didn't curl or wag for the first week even though she was much less nervous than Newton appears to be.

I've wasted a lot of money buying random treats from PetSmart to no avail (which was $$$$), but my brother sent me a variety pack from a place called Farm Hounds and now she's forever spoiled on moderately expensive duck gizzards and the sort. My friend's border collie was never treat motivated but even he loves some duck.

They've got a points program, which helps the cost a bit, and I think there's referral links for a bit off your first order. I'm not trying to benefit from this info, just sharing what worked for us.

Here's our goofball. Next week is the 3-month mark and I could not love her any more.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got a new puppy named Oliver and I wanna take him with me places. For car safety what are actual things that are rated for safety I can get for him to ride in the car with? A lot of the stuff I’m finding just seems to be called safety booster seats without any actual safety being part of their design

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for the advice everybody. I will let him find his own way out.

Just one thing: I keep coming back to when he wouldn’t come out for potty breaks until I dragged him out and he immediately went in spectacular fashion as soon as he was outside.

How did you get your timid dogs out for this?

Also OMG @ Coco’s enormous tail

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

The country I live in actually banned docked tails. Natural corgi tails are big and bushy and I love them.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will let him find his own way out.

Just one thing: I keep coming back to when he wouldn’t come out for potty breaks until I dragged him out and he immediately went in spectacular fashion as soon as he was outside.

How did you get your timid dogs out for this?

Unless they’re aggressive towards you, physically moving them so they will go outside is the exception to letting them adapt in their own time, if you don’t have a fenced yard and good enough weather to just put the open crate next to the open door and wait them out. They’ll pick up on you moving them for their own comfort and it shouldn’t set things back too far.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Clowner posted:

The country I live in actually banned docked tails. Natural corgi tails are big and bushy and I love them.

Do they make allowances for health reasons? My friend had a very sweet pit bull that had to have hers docked because it kept getting injured and infected from repeatedly smacking into door frames, trees, furniture, and anything else in range due to overzealous constant wagging.

Newton just came out of his crate to eat a bowl of food! :toot:

I lured him out with a few pieces of kibble and guided him to the bowl, which is just far enough away that he has to come all the way out of the crate to get to it. It will be a long stretch to get him to the door to go out for walks but so far I am very proud of my boy. Luckily he has no fear of people. He does get nervous if he sees me with something that he doesn’t like like the harness that we tried, but whether I’m in the room or not doesn’t seem to affect how nervous he is.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Unless they’re aggressive towards you, physically moving them so they will go outside is the exception to letting them adapt in their own time, if you don’t have a fenced yard and good enough weather to just put the open crate next to the open door and wait them out. They’ll pick up on you moving them for their own comfort and it shouldn’t set things back too far.

Thank you! He is far from aggressive. Just turns into a helpless lanky sweetums when I pick him up. So far I have found moving the crate with him in it gently near the door will get him to come out with the least drama. Then he doesn’t want to come back inside because he doesn’t find the crate where he left it and has to deal with the scary house. I’ll make sure I get the crate back where it is supposed to be and he gets into it ASAP when he comes back in.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 11, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Ok drama free potty break completed.

Took top off crate so he could see the world a bit and so I could get the leash on him without getting in his face.

Dragged crate out into kitchen sleigh ride style.

Took Newton outside, he paced a little and did his business. He will usually come to me if I kneel down unless I am near something scary which is nice. He pulled away from the stairs and couldn’t be coaxed back inside, I picked him up and brought him in, then re-set up his crate back where it belongs as quickly as possible, he jumped in and is now cleaning his dirty widdle paws.

I think this weekend I may have been scaring him a bit by taking him out more often than he was ready for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got a new puppy named Oliver and I wanna take him with me places. For car safety what are actual things that are rated for safety I can get for him to ride in the car with? A lot of the stuff I’m finding just seems to be called safety booster seats without any actual safety being part of their design

How large of a dog? The only thing I could think would be the leash that clips into the seatbelt.

My dog just lays down in the backseat :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah there’s not really much you can do for dog safety in a car other than getting them one of those little leash deals that clips into a seatbelt slot and then hoping they don’t lose their poo poo while in motion.

You can get little beds or crates they could sit in if they’re willing to stay still and not try to roam around the inside of the vehicle but it’s not like kids where there’s a million and one crash tested and certified harness solutions to choose from.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I got into an argument with an rear end in a top hat at the park the other day (or rather, my trainer, who was there with me did) after his dog pinned mine and he yelled at us for touching his dog and insisted that we remove his dog from my dog without touching his dog.

Then he spent a lot of time yelling at us because Campion isn't fixed, which is technically against the park rules. As a golden, I'm told he shouldn't be fixed until he's two years old (he is now six months old). He told us the vet was wrong about this.

I'm happy writing that guy off, but I do worry about what the year-and-a-half long gap before Campion can be neutered is going to mean for us in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement about Newton, but shame on those of you who have mentioned other dogs as examples and not posted pictures. Especially Kaiser Schnitzel with a black colored version of him.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pics of the knee-high and black dog Casey, who is sadly missed:
Showin off the goods:

Pleading for her dinner 40 minutes before dinnertime:

Growling at me and demanding something:

e:

Rand Brittain posted:

Then he spent a lot of time yelling at us because Campion isn't fixed, which is technically against the park rules. As a golden, I'm told he shouldn't be fixed until he's two years old (he is now six months old). He told us the vet was wrong about this.
My vet said to ideally wait until a year to fix my golden but I think he wound up getting fixed at 11 months and she said that was no big deal. The 'when to neuter' discussion seems to have a million different answers depending on who you ask, especially with golden retrievers. There's strong evidence to not do it before 6 months, good evidence to wait until a year, but not a ton of evidence to support waiting beyond a year. The downsides of earlier neutering also seem to be more prominent in females than in males. This is a good article and there are links to some other articles/studies in the citations:https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2023