Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's what the personal machine is for sitting on top of the closed laptop. Never gently caress around on a company machine when you have a perfectly working personal machine on which to gently caress.

My wife asked me what the big button on my desk was. It’s the KVM that flips my big monitor from my work pc to my gaming pc. I mostly use it to play music or podcasts in the background without getting some twerpy c-suite shithead bitching if he sees the tab while I’m doing a screen share.

But I won’t lie and say I haven’t absolutely played a couple of turns in civ when I got dragged into a mandatory meeting that I don’t need to be in. Fortunately that’s getting rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Rhymenoserous posted:

My wife asked me what the big button on my desk was. It’s the KVM that flips my big monitor from my work pc to my gaming pc. I mostly use it to play music or podcasts in the background without getting some twerpy c-suite shithead bitching if he sees the tab while I’m doing a screen share.

But I won’t lie and say I haven’t absolutely played a couple of turns in civ when I got dragged into a mandatory meeting that I don’t need to be in. Fortunately that’s getting rare.

I run two keyboards and mice to avoid the pattern of device connecting/disconnecting. My old team had so many chatty meetings I started equating meeting=getup and do chores. I had to break that habit when I left the group.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GI Joe jobs posted:

I run two keyboards and mice to avoid the pattern of device connecting/disconnecting. My old team had so many chatty meetings I started equating meeting=getup and do chores. I had to break that habit when I left the group.

We don’t have that level of monitoring on our pcs thankfully and if we did I’d just end up snagging my surface or my iPhone for my easy listening needs. I like the kvm because it requires minimal fiddle, press button, swap podcast/playlist, press button again.

I could easily see someone falling into the trap of loving around all day, but as I’ve gotten older the idea of gaming all day or anything of that nature has long lost its appeal. Also my productivity has shot through the roof since leaving the office, anyone begrudging me slapping the kvm for about 15 minutes a day is clearly having a meltdown since they can’t hastle the smokers for taking an ELEVEN MINUTE SMOKE BREAK anymore.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I have an old PC near my work setup at home, separate everything.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Same with me. Got enough room to have a separate desk thankfully. Never mix work and personal stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhymenoserous posted:

We don’t have that level of monitoring on our pcs thankfully and if we did I’d just end up snagging my surface or my iPhone for my easy listening needs. I like the kvm because it requires minimal fiddle, press button, swap podcast/playlist, press button again.

I could easily see someone falling into the trap of loving around all day, but as I’ve gotten older the idea of gaming all day or anything of that nature has long lost its appeal. Also my productivity has shot through the roof since leaving the office, anyone begrudging me slapping the kvm for about 15 minutes a day is clearly having a meltdown since they can’t hastle the smokers for taking an ELEVEN MINUTE SMOKE BREAK anymore.
I find the main difference now that I've been forced to accept I'm never moving my old PC over here and getting myself a laptop is that my workday loving around all day is way less productive. I don't get any games played or toy soldier painting done or anything, I just watch youtube and wear out the arrow keys pissing away time on 2048.

I've also been told by the recruiter that got me this job that he's been asked to find another person exactly like me, which says a lot about how hosed this company is.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I cheat and use Barrier (crappy open source fork of Synology) (software KM switch) but I'll have to give up running the client on my work laptop at some point as security tightens down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just keep my tablet or a personal laptop nearby to do my personal stuff while on the clock.

My keyboard has both a receiver and bluetooth, bluetooth is connected to my work laptop and receiver is connected to my desktop. I use different mice for my home PC and work PC.

My home desktop is only really used for gaming, so it's off most of the time. It's easy enough to switch to though since all I have to do is change the input on my 42" monitor to the desktop input, press the wireless receiver button on my keyboard, and grab my gaming mouse. I rarely fire up my other two 27" monitors for my desktop since I don't really need them while I'm playing a game.

I'll typically fire the desktop up on Thursday night for game night with friends and keep it on through Sunday to play on the weekends. On Friday, work laptop gets put into sleep mode and mouse is turned off and tossed in a drawer until Monday.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
There is a memo floating around in a draft state that lays out the new rules for meetings. Basically, get on camera. If your laptop camera won't work, order a webcam. If that won't, use your ipad. If that won't work, someone, somewhere will find a way to get your face on a call.
I'm trying to think of someway to find a looping gif that I can pipe into Teams.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CitizenKain posted:

There is a memo floating around in a draft state that lays out the new rules for meetings. Basically, get on camera. If your laptop camera won't work, order a webcam. If that won't, use your ipad. If that won't work, someone, somewhere will find a way to get your face on a call.
I'm trying to think of someway to find a looping gif that I can pipe into Teams.

Get the face rig or whatever the vtuber app is, and get a picture of yourself poorly animated like a Southpark character. Flapping head Canadian optional.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CitizenKain posted:

Just set it as your background and keep the camera pointed at a blank wall.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Just get on camera wearing this

https://oascompany.com/us/the-black-octo-robe

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CitizenKain posted:

Keep exploiting loopholes in the rules until the memo becomes a sixteen-page manual with entires like “Balaclavas prohibited” and “No virtual backgrounds depicting an Alcatraz cell block, ‘The Raft’ from ‘Captain America: Civil War,’ or any other detention facility real or fictitious.”

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

CitizenKain posted:

This.

I have a work PC set up on my left. I have a second work PC for J2 set up on a KVM that controls my second work PC, my home/gaming PC, and my standalone music production PC.

During the day I have PC for J1, PC for J2 running. In the evenings I flip to my home PC for futzing about and on the weekend I flip to my music production PC.

All this gear to enable efficient workflow, and yet my chair is absolute poo poo. Gotta handle that sometime soon.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I have pip in my ultra wide monitor with an Xbox hooked up to it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
What software do you use for that?

I’d love to be able to split my monitor so I can get into PowerPoint presentation mode, be able to see my presenter notes in one window while sharing the actual slideshow in the other window.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Can't speak for jae, but one way I've gone about it is getting a USB capture card and just using something like OBS or MPCHC to play the capture in a window.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A lot of new monitors have PIP. Mine even lets you select the source for audio.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's just a thing his monitor does he's talked about it before

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish every HDMI monitor had the option in the OSD to turn off the audio part of it, and that it defaulted to off where the monitor has a headphone jack and no speakers.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The refurb 4k Samsung monitor I picked up a couple months ago does it natively. It's got a couple of HDMI inputs, and I can native split-screen (with either weird resolution or weird compression/stretching) or native Picture-in-Picture.

For the kind of PowerPoint fuckery you're specifically asking about, the best option is having an additional monitor. PowerPoint has some native configs for that. Depending on your specific needs/desires, a small secondary USB monitor might make the most sense? They can be entirely powered over USB-C and having a portable second monitor for when you're traveling is awesome.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

The Fool posted:

it's just a thing his monitor does he's talked about it before

Ah.

I think my monitor came with windowing software, but of course I immediately tossed the CD and can’t figure out what it’s called to download it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Internet Explorer posted:

A lot of new monitors have PIP. Mine even lets you select the source for audio.

This. I don’t have audio though. That would’ve been a nice. I just plug headphones into the Xbox controller and it looks like I’m listening to the meeting but I’m playing starfield

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Blue Moonlight posted:

Keep exploiting loopholes in the rules until the memo becomes a sixteen-page manual with entires like “Balaclavas prohibited” and “No virtual backgrounds depicting an Alcatraz cell block, ‘The Raft’ from ‘Captain America: Civil War,’ or any other detention facility real or fictitious.”

I was already the reason for one important rule in the books, might as well shoot for 2.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The 1920x1200 Dell 24" I bought over 15 years ago and still use as tertiary does PIP even. Fun thing is it still has analogue inputs for component, s-video and composite.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it just me or have wages gone way down over the past couple years? I'm spamming out applications (tailoring per application was too soul-crushing so instead I pick a couple nights a week to watch Twitch and spam the same resume to like 50 jobs) and the wages I'm seeing posted for a lot of jobs are less than I was making 2 years ago at the lovely company that was underpaying me badly. Or maybe it's just that more companies are required to admit that they pay crap now?

I'm so glad I have a side job, it's basically keeping me afloat until unemployment gets approved in hopefully the next 2-4 weeks.

E: I know people were talking about paying someone on Fiverr to do a resume for them, anyone have someone they used that they liked? Seems like there's likely to be a lot of people that do it terribly and a few that do it well.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 10, 2023

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Since CA followed Colorado lead in forcing companies to reveal their salary ranges (making it pretty much defacto nationwide) up front it's always been like this but most are just fake posting ghost positions they never intend to fill.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chase have launched their banking services here in the UK and they are promoting it as a *~digital~* bank which means no branches and no telephone banking, which is fine. But it also has no website to access your account and do things on - everything is through a phone app. Nobody reviewing the service seems to mention this, they all seem happy with an app-only product, but I can’t think of anything worse than managing money and downloading monthly statements on a phone when I have a desktop PC with two screens. Am I the old man yelling at the cloud now? Is every interaction with a company for the rest of my life going to involve installing an app?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can probably just capture the traffic and work out where the app is making calls to and then fake the user agent on your browser.

Yes this is a silly amount of work to do for you to be able to use a bank in a non-stupid fashion, but those are the times we live in.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Chase have launched their banking services here in the UK and they are promoting it as a *~digital~* bank which means no branches and no telephone banking, which is fine. But it also has no website to access your account and do things on - everything is through a phone app. Nobody reviewing the service seems to mention this, they all seem happy with an app-only product, but I can’t think of anything worse than managing money and downloading monthly statements on a phone when I have a desktop PC with two screens. Am I the old man yelling at the cloud now? Is every interaction with a company for the rest of my life going to involve installing an app?

We've already got Starling and Monzo and possibly Revolut over here as digital only banks
And yes it would be handy to have a website to bulk download statements from but how often are you actually doing that.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Over 60s and under 30s do everything on their phone. It's the rest of us who want to use a normal computer with a nice big screen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I'm 44 and I can go a whole week+ without turning on my PC for something.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

bull3964 posted:

The instant I need to research something or do something like an even slightly complex travel itinerary, I'm heading straight to my PC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can understand that if you have an iPhone, but multitasking on an Android device, especially if you have a foldable, bridges most of the gap.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

rafikki posted:

The instant I need to research something or do something like an even slightly complex travel itinerary, I'm heading straight to my PC.

both of these can be true

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

with games on the xbox and social stuff on the phone I am also in the "don't touch personal computer unless absolutely necessary" camp

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bull3964 posted:

I can understand that if you have an iPhone, but multitasking on an Android device, especially if you have a foldable, bridges most of the gap.

I love my Fold4 but I don't think a ton of people have jumped on the foldable train yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fil5000 posted:

I love my Fold4 but I don't think a ton of people have jumped on the foldable train yet.

No, but it's easy enough to do split screen on any android device if you need to look at more than one thing at once.

Even when I do feel like I need to pull out a 'PC', chances are I just want a full desktop browser and grab my chromebook. It's only when I'm offloading photos from my cameras that I end up pulling out my XPS 13 Plus or MacBook Pro 14. My desktop is pretty much games only at this point.

I rarely even bring a personal laptop when I travel anymore. It just usually ends up sitting in the bag for the week or whatever. The only reason I brought mine with me to Iceland last month was to offload pictures from my camera, but I could have made that work just as easily with my phone via USB-C, just a little more cumbersome.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

starting off my day by reporting a bug to hashicorp where terraform will make changes to a resource that aren't displayed in the plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it just me or have wages gone way down over the past couple years?

I think theyre up a bit actually, from what Ive seen pre pandemic at least. But hiring is WAY down. This time last year I was getting 5-10 LinkedIn offers or messages a day. Now I'm getting 3-4 a week it seems like.

Even internally at my company wages are up but we've froze hiring in a lot of areas.