Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Believers these days. Hey, what happened to the other guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

We ate him

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

He’s Wide Wale. It’s a type of corduroy. He’s always wearing that kind of suit. In his very first appearance they had the fabric ruffling sound every time he moved.

i appreciate that kind of attention to detail.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Venture Bros is a neat show, who agrees?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

Venture Bros is a neat show, who agrees?
It rules OP.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a neat show. The movie is the only Blu-ray I own and I have no way to play it but it's still neat.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just started watching it last week. Seems good.

Watching a pre-HD show is a bit jarring these days.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I recently saw the movie. It was good, but some parts felt like they were skipping from one plot point to the next, especially the parts with Dr. Mrs., and catching up with the thread let me know what was planned. The gravity scene was brutal, the pants golem vs Blaculas was hilarious, and learning the true origins of our characters was incredible.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Jehde posted:

I just started watching it last week. Seems good.

Watching a pre-HD show is a bit jarring these days.

You're in for a ride bby!
Stick through season one.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently saw the movie. It was good, but some parts felt like they were skipping from one plot point to the next, especially the parts with Dr. Mrs., and catching up with the thread let me know what was planned. The gravity scene was brutal, the pants golem vs Blaculas was hilarious, and learning the true origins of our characters was incredible.

This is the result of having a (correct me) season of scripts forced into a movie.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

deong posted:

This is the result of having a (correct me) season of scripts forced into a movie.

I don't recall reading anywhere that they had finished scripts for a whole season, so probably more a season's worth of ideas and rough drafts, plus tying up a bunch of lingering loose ends.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't recall reading anywhere that they had finished scripts for a whole season, so probably more a season's worth of ideas and rough drafts, plus tying up a bunch of lingering loose ends.

Doc and Jackson were half done with season 8. Basically none of Doc’s material got used, but a lot Jackson’s did.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
On John Hodgman's show, they mention IIRC that they had about 3 completed scripts and 3 half-completed scripts for season 8 when they got the axe. And all of that had to be condensed into the movie along with an actual conclusion. The one flashback scene with Jonas fighting Force Majeure was supposed to be one of the major overarching stories of the whole season. Along with Hank's roadtrip and Sheila + Deborah's whole thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We were also robbed because they were going to try to get Matt Berry to voice Force Majure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

We were also robbed because they were going to try to get Matt Berry to voice Force Majure.
AWWWWW.

:(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah I am still sad about that too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I am also sad we didn't get to see Doc's stories. He had the idea that Blind Rage survived the train but lost his legs. This would open the door to a whole world of paraplegic villains and he had a couple episodes in mind playing on his own experiences. He really wanted to have some episodes that spoke to the disabled community.

I also I really like the idea that all the other Hanks were the souls of various dead Hanks haunting him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Doc and Jackson were half done with season 8. Basically none of Doc’s material got used, but a lot Jackson’s did.

I feel like this totally tracks based on how their episodes tend to play out. IIRC Jackson is more about worldbuilding and storytelling, and Doc is more about character depth and indulging in fun and weird side stories. Not that they don't both do both well. But I strongly suspect that Doc was set to write the lone scientists in remote warehouse episode.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Part of it was that they just didn't have time to include his. It wasn't deliberate, but they had under four episodes worth of time to tell the season 8 story plus a little bit of finale to the series as a whole. We got more reveals in this movie because they wrote it to be a true ending even more so than seasons where renewal was uncertain.

At least one of doc's episodes, like I said, was going to be paraplegic villain themed. There just wasn't room in the movie to tell that story as well. They ran over something like 8 minutes past their original allotted time.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I will forever be pissed we didn't get the planned Col Gentleman/John Wick episode. Him going postal on the Guild after his dog dies of old age is like, the perfect premise for a VB episode and you know they would have nailed all the ridiculous assassin lore from those movies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pablo gbscobar posted:

I will forever be pissed we didn't get the planned Col Gentleman/John Wick episode. Him going postal on the Guild after his dog dies of old age is like, the perfect premise for a VB episode and you know they would have nailed all the ridiculous assassin lore from those movies.

:same:

I forgot about that one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

As painful as it is hearing about these things and knowing we missed out, it’s troubling that 2 full years after season 7 ended they weren’t even halfway done writing the follow-up season (or I guess a little over half done if it was 8 eps instead of 10). Previously we hadn’t gone much longer than 2 years without at least a special. It seems they just started to gradually slow down over the years and it makes me think that this was eventually going to slowly burn out after too much longer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, it wasn't quite two years. It was 23 months from the end of Season 7 to the cancellation announcement.

Also, writing for the whole season doesn't necessarily have to be complete before production starts.

That's the telling bit. The sale of Warner Brothers put everything on hold and it's likely had that not happened, production would have already started on the first half of the season and possibly would have completed episodes to start airing.

We also have no idea if they stopped working on scripts while the sale was in progress due to uncertainty. Due to the circumstances surrounding everything, it's really hard to judge the timeline.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You have to also remember in that period of time Doc lost the ability to use his legs and had to relearn to walk.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh poo poo I didn’t even know that at all!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Took me longer than it should have to realize Brock was David Puddy.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Mr. Nice! posted:

You have to also remember in that period of time Doc lost the ability to use his legs and had to relearn to walk.

I found myself trying to remember what episode this occurred in, then it hit me like a Hammer.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Jehde posted:

Took me longer than it should have to realize Brock was David Puddy.

He also actually likes the show. Went to comic con as Shoreleave.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nonexistence posted:

He also actually likes the show. Went to comic con as Shoreleave.

https://twitter.com/paddywarbucks/status/888834598150447104?s=20

Whoa, you're not kidding

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Apparently McDonald's is doing their "adult Happy Meal" thing again. Normally that would have nothing to do with VB, except that one of the toys you can get is named "BRRRICK."

He's unfortunately not a frog. :smith:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

You're a bum, Rock!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

When a bum sees a dick coming, he don't stick around for the credits

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah Hank what was that about the bums not liking dicks coming?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shore Leave is the best. Had the best lines anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“When they weren’t crafting fine shumps” still gets me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah Hank what was that about the bums not liking dicks coming?

Or was it BOOBS

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Shageletic posted:

Shore Leave is the best. Had the best lines anyway.

Even when I'm pretending to be Brock I still want to be Brock.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

the replies are funny since most of them don't seem to know who he's dressed up as but they do seem kinda concerned that he might be dressing like one of the Village People.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tbf they aren't wrong, that was literally Shore Leave's initial introduction.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

the replies are funny since most of them don't seem to know who he's dressed up as but they do seem kinda concerned that he might be dressing like one of the Village People.

So I guess it's the chuddy people who haven't seen the show at all, then? Cause yeah he is basically a Village Person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

So I guess it's the chuddy people who haven't seen the show at all, then? Cause yeah he is basically a Village Person

Shore Leave is based directly on Shipwreck from G.I. Joe, who was inspired by Jack Nicholson in The Last Detail.

But a handful of G.I. Joe characters looked a hell of a lot like the Village People if you put them together:

Shipwreck (sailor with beard)
Wild Bill (cowboy with mustache)
Spirit (stereotypical Native American)
Tollbooth (construction worker)
Gung Ho ("leatherman" with handlebar mustache, cap, and vest with no shirt, except he wore turquoise camo instead of black)

And that's where Jackson and Doc got their O.S.I. = G.I. Joe + Village People idea.