Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

coconono posted:

Yeah the PS2 launched when TVs were starting to be able to both display 4:3 and 16:9 formats. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time offered to display in either format.
There's a menu option in DQ8 to swap between aspect ratios as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://x.com/Retroid0fficial/status/1734186532678856756?s=20

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol fuuuuuck I'm about to order a Pocket 3+

Any news on release date?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm ignorant on what those specs mean for actual performance. Is anyone going to theorize how much this beats the RP3+/Flip?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm ignorant on what those specs mean for actual performance. Is anyone going to theorize how much this beats the RP3+/Flip?

The Dimensity 900 is the same chip as the Odin Lite, so that's going to be a slamming device. While the 1100 in the benchmarks I've seen is a solid jump over the Snapdragon 845 that's in the Odin. So if it lives up to its potential these 2 basically obsolete the original 2 Odin devices.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Basically same specs as Odyn Lite @ $50 cheaper for the base model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVsdqrugUlg

Only real differences are:
- Pocket 4 has 720p screen to the Odyn Lite's 1080p
- Pocket 4 has 128Gb of internal storage to the Odyn Lite's 64Gb

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Why is the O in Official a 0. Is this the real loving account? Are you kidding me? Retroid is a clown show lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Someone else squatted the @RetroidOfficial account before they got onto Twitter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s Elon Musk’s X.com, some Nazi probably already claimed the proper spelling

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Infinitum posted:

lol fuuuuuck I'm about to order a Pocket 3+

Any news on release date?

Lol whoops same I asked for a RP3+ for Christmas

That'll learn me (it won't)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah, gently caress...

:shepspends:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang, and I had already ordered a RP2S as a Christmas gift for a pal.

Oh well, sounds like the 2S is pretty good so I'm sure they'll like it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hmm maybe I'll wait for this and probably by the time it's released something even cooler and better will have been announced and I can just repeat the cycle

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gimme a flip with those specs!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like the ram probably isn't that important for this kind of device but how much better is the cpu in the pro?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
And hey, start and select on the front! No clurple this time though..

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

No clurple this time though..

there goes retroid loving forgetting the most important feature

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I feel like the ram probably isn't that important for this kind of device but how much better is the cpu in the pro?

looks like the CPU cores aren't all that different, but the GPU is a generational step up

the pro has four big CPU cores instead of two but emulation is usually single threaded so

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 11, 2023

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

mystes posted:

hmm maybe I'll wait for this and probably by the time it's released something even cooler and better will have been announced and I can just repeat the cycle

This is the cheapest way to pursue this hobby

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

womb with a view posted:

Lol whoops same I asked for a RP3+ for Christmas

That'll learn me (it won't)

I'm honestly considering grabbing a Powkiddy X55 + RGB30 combo now.

Get a decent widescreen device, a baller 1:1 device, both run JELOS... and then if I'm still in a space where I want a more mid-range device I can just grab the Pocket 4 when it hits and they remember Clear Purple for a shell :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Infinitum posted:

I'm honestly considering grabbing a Powkiddy X55 + RGB30 combo now.

Get a decent widescreen device, a baller 1:1 device, both run JELOS... and then if I'm still in a space where I want a more mid-range device I can just grab the Pocket 4 when it hits and they remember Clear Purple for a shell :v:
planning on buying all the devices is certainly an interesting solution

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

planning on buying all the devices is certainly an interesting solution

it's a somehwat popular one around here

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone here used the RG35XX (or similar handheld) for local multiplayer? I am wondering how the experience is after you've mapped the controllers in retroarch.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
WTF they don't say the screen spec for the RP4? Is it same as 3+?

Anyway my quick takes.

Odin Lite vs RP4 base, you decide based on screen size and analog stick position. After all the 7” G cloud is able to sell at a higher price on ebay.

Odin 1 Pro vs RP4P. A quick bench mark check shows the D1100 is 50%-100% faster. So I think its going to be a better PS2 emulation machine with PS stick positions.

Odin 1 pro probably will consistently have a few months lead in Switch emulation . Yuzu emulation leans heavily on the snapdragon adreno driver optimization which is not the GPU used in MediaTek. Most of the android flagship phones use Qualcomm so Qualcomm will have more support in the tinkering land. If you just want to emulate PSP at 4x resolution get the RP4.

Also, two extra buttons in the back of Odin, really handy, I use them for quick loading and saving. I don't know if RP has them. I would pay $10 extra for those 2 buttons.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 11, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe take that spec sheet with a grain of salt anyway since there's at least one error (the pro version has the big cores listed twice)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

WTF they don't say the screen spec for the RP4? Is it same as 3+?

That's what I'm expecting, which is no bad thing you don't need a 1080p screen on a RP sized device and it's a good screen.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I had a feeling this was gonna happen when they did their black friday sale, gonna score one of these instead

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m going to be a little blasphemous and say that I think I prefer anbernic to retroid. My most recent 2 acquisitions were an anbernic rg505 and a retroid 2s and I pretty much only play the 505. Plus it worked right out of the box and came preinstalled with all of the emulators. Setting up the 2s was a lot of work. Just my 2 cents for anyone thinking of getting into the hobby.

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Stop liking anime you little shits. I didn't die on the cross for you to do that.
Enjoying my 2s for PS1 and Saturn. Sadly, Dreamcast emulation isn't as good as I hoped. Can get decent frames out of it but there's more visual glitches than I'd like in all the emulators I've tried. Maybe that's just an emulation thing? Might be spoiled having the Dreamcast hooked up to compare it to.

Can only see myself buying another device when GameCube and PS2 emulation comes comfortably into the same price bracket. Guess I'll wait and see how the Pocket 4 reviews, but expect I can wait another 6 months for the inevitable Pocket 5.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Usually Saturn is harder to run than Dreamcast so thats surprising to me

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Stop liking anime you little shits. I didn't die on the cross for you to do that.
Yeah I was surprised. Had to muck around with some settings to get Saturn to display properly, but I've had no problems so far.

Meanwhile, Ecco straight up glitches like crazy in Redream, and Sonic Adventure 2 does all sorts of weird visual clipping in Flycast.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Might not be too helpful because on a skim I can't see a lot about settings but there's a spreadsheet for the 2+ that lists what games they've got working, with the emulator and renderer used. Ecco and SA2 both seem to be working: https://tinyurl.com/RP2PlusGameSettings

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

remigious posted:

I’m going to be a little blasphemous and say that I think I prefer anbernic to retroid. My most recent 2 acquisitions were an anbernic rg505 and a retroid 2s and I pretty much only play the 505. Plus it worked right out of the box and came preinstalled with all of the emulators. Setting up the 2s was a lot of work. Just my 2 cents for anyone thinking of getting into the hobby.

I'm digging the hell out of the RG505 I just got. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Retroid 3+ if I would have gone that direction too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Firmware 1.2 for the Analogue Pocket came out a few days ago. Didn’t hear anything about it since it’s not the purported 2.0 update everyone is waiting for. Few weeks to go I guess.

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/1.2

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Firmware 1.2 for the Analogue Pocket came out a few days ago. Didn’t hear anything about it since it’s not the purported 2.0 update everyone is waiting for. Few weeks to go I guess.

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/1.2

They still need to release 6 more colour variations before that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ordered a Retroid Pocket 3+ :toot:

I could have waited until Pocket 4 preorders go up, but honestly looking at reviews for the 3+ it's going to be able to run 90% of what I want and I can stream the other 10% from my PC/PS5

The community compatibility list was also a huge boon in making the final decision - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vf7SIS7ecWa_J301h0mb2bxMWBMtKLvcpAFyaa5-LDc/edit
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ on Switch running perfectly? Please, and thank you. Time to put in 2000hrs and unlock everything again :gritin:

Ordered parts as well to get this look.
Does anyone know if Retroid will throw in some white shoulder buttons if I ask? Pretty much only DIY part you can't order cheaply.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I can stream the other 10% from my PC/PS5
:kstare:

How did I never realise this was an option

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah local streaming is a pretty common thing to use these things for now, like my Steam Deck can't emulate Motorstorm Apocalypse but my PC sure can so I just stream it from there. I was playing the PC version of Viva Pinata on my RP3+ last night streaming from my PC.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can stream from every thing, Xbox, PS5, surplus Dell, PC stick. Except the Deck, you can stream to it but not from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can stream from every thing, Xbox, PS5, surplus Dell, PC stick. Except the Deck, you can stream to it but not from it.

Actually I use the steam link app on my laptop when I need to use a keyboard on my steam deck, it's fast and easy