Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

SCheeseman posted:

Also if you watch The Happening as a comedy it's pretty good. The comic timing is so spot on that the idea that it's unintentionally funny, like The Room or something where the all the choices are wrong, doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure Shyamalan knew what he was making, I seem to recall an interview where he says as much. Not that it's a masterpiece but it was probably misunderstood, which is still a failing since clearly the movie doesn't convey that it's deadpan comedy well enough.

I feel that there's a good, even great idea at the heart of The Happening. The fear of something benign like the wind, the epidemic of suicides ... There's an amazingly creepy film trying to get out but thwarting itself. Maybe it is actually trying to be a comedy - that would explain casting Wahlberg who's completely wrong for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shageletic posted:

I've read the synopsis elsewhere and it sounds like a really funny mess.

E: Arab armies invade the US by controlling AI and crashing planes and the heroes lose their teeth because of the Havana Syndrome being real, and it ends with someone watching Friends in a bunker.

Never gonna see it but it'd be amusing if the actual movie is even a 1/10 as wacky as the above.

Actually that was all bullshit and it was some kind of internal coup. Still dumb.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It isn't explained where the threat is coming from, but it's implied to be external, not a coup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SCheeseman posted:

It isn't explained where the threat is coming from, but it's implied to be external, not a coup.

This movie wasn't that hard to understand lol. All the external stuff was clearly made out to be a misdirection.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

This movie wasn't that hard to understand lol. All the external stuff was clearly made out to be a misdirection.

The infighting is a result of that disruption causing social tensions to explode. Whether the source of it is external or internal isn't explained and isn't really the point.

You're wrong though, I guess if the movie is at fault of anything it's that it didn't communicate it's ideas well. Maybe Mahershala Ali needed to shout those lines louder.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
People are cunts when the chips are down, news at 10.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

People are cunts when the chips are down, news at 10.

Sometimes a movie can be about a thing. Is this thread usually this dumb?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SCheeseman posted:

Sometimes a movie can be about a thing. Is this thread usually this dumb?

You've implied i'm dumb or wasn't paying attention or took things too literally 3 times now. All i've done is talk poo poo about a movie.
How about the theme of the movie is playing out right here and you are Julia Robert's and i'm the annoying kid who wants to watch friends.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

You've implied i'm dumb or wasn't paying attention or took things too literally 3 times now. All i've done is talk poo poo about a movie.
How about the theme of the movie is playing out right here and you are Julia Robert's and i'm the annoying kid who wants to watch friends.

I implied you were inattentive twice, but only dumb once! Sorry, I do regret calling you dumb.

It's just, I don't get your take on it. I wanted to understand but a lot of your responses were a little substanceless and that bugged me. I shouldn't have taken it personally, poo poo talk away.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SCheeseman posted:

I implied you were inattentive twice, but only dumb once! Sorry, I do regret calling you dumb.

It's just, I don't get your take on it. I wanted to understand but a lot of your responses were a little substanceless and that bugged me. I shouldn't have taken it personally, poo poo talk away.

Anyone that has layed out opinions at 2am is a guy on a watch list.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Leave the World Behind is an aggressively stupid movie

Produced by the Obamas (notable residents of the Hamptons) is almost like a punchline.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Should I be posting my bad movie opinions on letterboxd instead?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's one more bad Letterbox'd poster?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My wife and I watched end of the world and I came here to make possibly my first post in the thread to ask for all that time in my life back

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Anyone that has layed out opinions at 2am is a guy on a watch list.

Late night posting rules

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sam Esmail has always been super overrated.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SCheeseman posted:

Also if you watch The Happening as a comedy it's pretty good. The comic timing is so spot on that the idea that it's unintentionally funny, like The Room or something where the all the choices are wrong, doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure Shyamalan knew what he was making, I seem to recall an interview where he says as much. Not that it's a masterpiece but it was probably misunderstood, which is still a failing since clearly the movie doesn't convey that it's deadpan comedy well enough.

The backlash against Shyamalan has been so extensive that his real strengths as a director throw folks off guard.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mcmagic posted:

Sam Esmail has always been super overrated.

It’s an anagram of “Sam’s E-mail”.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

I feel that there's a good, even great idea at the heart of The Happening. The fear of something benign like the wind, the epidemic of suicides ... There's an amazingly creepy film trying to get out but thwarting itself. Maybe it is actually trying to be a comedy - that would explain casting Wahlberg who's completely wrong for the role.

I personally find something really scary about the types of movies where unpredictable end of the world stuff starts happening and the main characters and the audience are clueless as to what's going on. When the phoenomen is explained, it loses its sting. However, there's something really unsatisfying about never finding out what was happening, and I've noticed that movies that don't explain things fully get roasted on here and other places.

Leave the World Behind was nightmarish in every single weapon real and hypothetical being used against the US. Psy-ops, conventional bombs, possibly nukes, Havana Syndrome noises, taking down the networks, etc. and The Happening was scary because there's nothing you can do against nature mysteriously causing people to off themselves. The execution for both movies wasn't my favorite, but the ideas are good.

The opening of the Dawn of the Dead remake was equally frightening. Black Summer, too. More weird poo poo and implied reasons, less exposition, please.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LifeLynx posted:

The opening of the Dawn of the Dead remake was equally frightening. Black Summer, too. More weird poo poo and implied reasons, less exposition, please.

Still one of my favorite scenes in a zombie movie (hell, might be my favorite). The Johnny Cash music, the camera work, just the general "we're hosed" feeling. So good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I really like this guy's YT channel, and thought this was a fun take on The Happening. Watch his other Shyamalan videos, too, to learn that there are no aliens in Signs and there is no twist in The Sixth Sense. Not saying I agree with any of it, but it's fun to rewatch films he's talked about with his ideas in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c-VoJF9-5E

My GoT-brained friend went apoplectic over this one lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp0wLfVe7Xo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here is what is cool about Leave the World Behind

https://decider.com/2023/12/08/leave-the-world-behind-easter-eggs-paintings-change/

And that's it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Netflix Mandated Easter Eggs

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched Squid Game Challenge.

The big problem with this show, and what assuredly was for budget reasons, is that they forgot what really made the original drama compelling: seeing the competitors in their real lives. The game show replaces those scenes with confessional interviews in a blank room. We see these people talking about their tattoos, or their families, or their hobbies in an empty room by themselves, instead of, ya know, actually seeing the tattoos and families and hobbies!

It's the most boring and lazy storytelling possible. Instead of building affinity for certain contestants, it only makes them all sound even more full of poo poo and narcissistic than most reality contestants already sound. I don't care who wins because I don't feel like I know any of them and they all seem fake as hell.

The show was stupid and not worth the watch.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: What made Squid Game compelling is the crush of capitalism that forced each and every person into playing games of chance to the death. They kind of flush most of this away, but at a certain point (the marble game, I think) all of the contestants realize how hosed this whole game is. That was pretty entertaining.

It doesn't even attempt to capture real life stories until the very end, at which point I don't care to hear their life stories.

That said it is not a good show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just give us S2 and not this nonsense, what the heck Netflix

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is anyone watching The Curse

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A MIRACLE posted:

I've watched the first episode. I've bounced off Nathan Fielder's other stuff, but this is pretty good. I'm interesting in seeing where exactly it's going because I couldn't even give a good guess after the first episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

1glitch0 posted:

I've watched the first episode. I've bounced off Nathan Fielder's other stuff, but this is pretty good. I'm interesting in seeing where exactly it's going because I couldn't even give a good guess after the first episode.

I'm loving it, but as we talked about in this thread or another, you have to be okay with Cringe because holy poo poo is it the cringiest.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah, it rules. I was curious to see how Nathan would do in an entirely scripted series, especially when he's up against Emma Stone. Turns out he's pretty good at playing a condescending passive-aggressive freak.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

yep. the TV IV thread about The Rehearsal kinda morphed into the "Nathan Fielder or other similar levels of cringe" tv show thread so now it's focused on The Curse.

More than anything I've been caught off guard by Benny Safdie, both for his character and the performance. I was ready for the insane awkwardness of Nathan and Emma (and she's killin it of course) but Dougie has kinda become my favorite part of the show

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I only just finished episode one of The Curse. It is, for lack of a better word, wild. It almost feels like watching a horror movie. The immediate viewing is deeply unpleasant, but then reflecting on it after is interesting and hilarious.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

graventy posted:

Counterpoint: What made Squid Game compelling is the crush of capitalism that forced each and every person into playing games of chance to the death. They kind of flush most of this away, but at a certain point (the marble game, I think) all of the contestants realize how hosed this whole game is. That was pretty entertaining.

It doesn't even attempt to capture real life stories until the very end, at which point I don't care to hear their life stories.

That said it is not a good show.

Mr.Beast ruined squid game, netflix compounded it. They watered it down to the point of it being cheesy now. I want to see greedy/desperate people eat it in creative ways.

I hope the oiriginal show gets stuck in dev hell and never comes out.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I only just finished episode one of The Curse. It is, for lack of a better word, wild. It almost feels like watching a horror movie. The immediate viewing is deeply unpleasant, but then reflecting on it after is interesting and hilarious.

I watched the latest episode (5) this afternoon and that had to have been the most uncomfortable hour of TV I have seen. Emma Stone is really incredible in this show.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1734377146334736872?s=46

Now nobody can watch the Watchmen

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Why are they removing actual HBO shows?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bc zaslov sucks rear end

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

I'm going to fill my plex with hbo shows i'm not even going to watch.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Inspector Hound posted:

Why are they removing actual HBO shows?

So they can rent them to Netflix/Tubi/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Then why would anybody subscribe to Max?