Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gaiden is a beat-em-up though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Things dragging Baldurs gate 3 down,i need a better computer to run it :(

Also Orcs don’t sound Orc’y enough.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I swear to God that Dave the Diver is Things Dragging Games Down: The Game. Most of the game is good, great even. They throw in so, so many non-standard gameplay sections, and like 75% of them piss me off so bad, they make me want to put the game down and never pick it up again. Your fish catching game does not need a loving stealth section, your stealth section does not need a 2 second animation every time you exit a hiding space. It doesn't need an extended chase sequence, and the chase sequence doesn't need to have literally unavoidable damage on top of obstacles that your slow movement speed makes close-to unreactable. Your diving game probably could have a boss fight or two, but for God's sake make the massive monster NOT able to quick-turn and run away from your languidly drifting down bombs, and maybe don't make those bombs spawn inside his damage zones.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The non-standard sections ended up being my biggest problem with Spider-Man 2 as well. They varied them up more and gave MJ more interesting tactical abilities, but I was still sick of them almost every time. I want to know what the ratio of them to regular gameplay was, because it seemed like way more than the first game. It felt like I was starting every other session with a resigned sigh as I remembered I'd quit one of those halfway through the previous time around.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

VR gun games should use some kind of rumble feedback to let you know when you have your hands spaced right/stock shouldered. I love H3VR but trying to shoot rifles past 25 yards or so is an exercise in frustration.
H3VR at least has the thing where you use the Virtual Stock (hold it close to your body) option AND you can cup your firing hand instead of having to stretch out, that kills most recoil.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
A lot of this is just a me thing, but: Tears of the Kingdom, the koroks that need to be carried to their friends, have two different problems that crop up for me basically every time:

A: Too cute not to help, I have a weakness for really cute, childish characters in settings that aren't entirely about that. So every time I see them, I have to stop what I'm doing, and figure out what sort of weird contraption they want me to make to reunite these two little guys.

...Except that, B: most of the time, it's just easier to carry them. Sure, cobbling together a car out of available parts and driving to the destination or something is supposed to be faster, and is clearly the intended solution, but there's so many times where it's just so fiddly to do, or the path is too difficult for my dumb-rear end jalopy, that it's just easier to use Ultrahand to pick the guy up and walk. The verticality-based ones are usually immune to this, but they're few and far between.

Honestly, I'm either too smart or too stupid for this game, and I can't tell which, because I feel like I've spent about 70% of this game so far either solving problems with L-shaped wooden structures, most of the other 30% realizing I don't have to build anything and can just walk/climb/glide (possibly while jamming something between rocks as an ersatz bridge).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's incredibly rude for FFXIV to pit me against Odin in a fight as another character, a healer. A role I have not touched in my 300+ hours of play.

While it's a relief that they finally introduced checkpoints, what is the game's obsession with have so many setpieces with instant-deaths? Nobody likes them.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Baldur's Gate 3

"Wish I had a bag of holding"
"Cursed to put my hand on everything"
"All's well that ends... not as bad as it could have"
"I've got a lot on my mind. And, well, in it"

As someone suffering from terminal resetitis, I wish that the alternate protagonist voices in this game were actually different instead of being very similar sounding delivery of the exact same lines. It's not like the protagonist is voiced (outside of one or two rare lines left over from older builds that maybe 1% of players will see), they only need to record the barks for combat and moving around and stuff. It's a weird deficit when lots of older crpgs will have a dozen voices per gender with different personalities, and it's a little annoying to have a dragonborn barbarian, halfling druid, and half-elf bard all sound exactly the same.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cleretic posted:

A lot of this is just a me thing, but: Tears of the Kingdom, the koroks that need to be carried to their friends, have two different problems that crop up for me basically every time:

A: Too cute not to help, I have a weakness for really cute, childish characters in settings that aren't entirely about that. So every time I see them, I have to stop what I'm doing, and figure out what sort of weird contraption they want me to make to reunite these two little guys.

...Except that, B: most of the time, it's just easier to carry them. Sure, cobbling together a car out of available parts and driving to the destination or something is supposed to be faster, and is clearly the intended solution, but there's so many times where it's just so fiddly to do, or the path is too difficult for my dumb-rear end jalopy, that it's just easier to use Ultrahand to pick the guy up and walk. The verticality-based ones are usually immune to this, but they're few and far between.

Honestly, I'm either too smart or too stupid for this game, and I can't tell which, because I feel like I've spent about 70% of this game so far either solving problems with L-shaped wooden structures, most of the other 30% realizing I don't have to build anything and can just walk/climb/glide (possibly while jamming something between rocks as an ersatz bridge).

I found that to be true up until I got a few good Autobuild recipes. One plank with three or four fans and a steering column made moving almost anything in the overworld a breeze, but to your final point, maybe too much of a breeze.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Wake 2s NG+ drops on a work day

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Like a Dragon has a combat arena that I presume is near the end game, and is there so you have a spot to grind and make sure you're up for the battles that await. But the level scaling in the game is so bad. This doesn't exist to make sure you're ready, it's here to make you ready. I have put in 50 hours already, I've done every side story, the management thing, just about everything. I haven't 100% the entire content of the game but I'd said I went well and beyond the main plot and as such I'm pretty powerful. Or I was until I reached this arbitrary spot. This game has been easy and I've felt vastly overleveled for every single segment of this game until now.

I guess what I'm wondering is, can you beat the game without grinding in the combat arena? It presents itself as an optional thing but I just don't see how.

I could also be bad at video games :shrug:

Also: Starting to think Eri is a ghost that only Ichiban can see.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I can't speak for 7 since I've only played up to 5 so far, but in the brawler era of the series the arena sections have had content ranging from tutorials to post game, sometimes without giving you a clear heads up once you've crossed to that threshold, and some random opponents potentially able to just wreck you while others in the same tier were easy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

credburn posted:

Like a Dragon has a combat arena that I presume is near the end game, and is there so you have a spot to grind and make sure you're up for the battles that await. But the level scaling in the game is so bad. This doesn't exist to make sure you're ready, it's here to make you ready. I have put in 50 hours already, I've done every side story, the management thing, just about everything. I haven't 100% the entire content of the game but I'd said I went well and beyond the main plot and as such I'm pretty powerful. Or I was until I reached this arbitrary spot. This game has been easy and I've felt vastly overleveled for every single segment of this game until now.

I guess what I'm wondering is, can you beat the game without grinding in the combat arena? It presents itself as an optional thing but I just don't see how.

The colosseum is basically required. You'll get your poo poo wrecked by the content afterwards if you skip it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you specifically min/max your job levels you probably could, most of your power comes from the level of your current job and the + Stat skills you unlock by leveling other jobs. Definitely not going to bat for YLAD’s balance though, even stuff like debuffs/status ailments that could help paper over that stuff just plain aren’t well implemented in practice.

Which I guess is another Yakuza: Like A Dragon complaint for the thread: most status ailments work in a way that’s just kinda rear end-backwards even compared to late NES era Dragon Quest. Every ailment besides Poison has a chance to wear off when you attack an enemy, which makes them all feel pointless but especially the “draw aggro” skill your tank gets. And debuffs also kind of work in a just plain odd way; there are three levels of buff/debuff a given stat can have but every skill exists in a vacuum so you can’t use your Attack + Strength Debuff move three times to debuff someone’s attack a lot, you just inflict Strength -1 three times…which kinda makes the unique job of one of your party members focused on attack/debuff skills feel superfluous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
For the King II is still pretty buggy, and most specifically; the in-game chat box is incredibly bad. It feels like an afterthought because the assumption is likely that players will be using discord or something to chat with their friends. But not all of my friends like to use voice chat programs and such, and thus we have to rely on it. The biggest issue with it, is that the game closes it every single time an action occurs in-game. So if you're trying to communicate to someone during their turn, prepare to be interrupted like ten times as they move about the map and interact with things. But that's not good enough! Because when you open the chat, it automatically highlights everything typed into it so if you start typing again your message vanishes. This gets further compounded with the fact that the space button is the default action key so, say you're typing in the middle of combat, and your turn pops up? Well the box automatically closes and you just auto-attacked because you hit the space button. It's frustrating.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

credburn posted:

There are I think 3 chapters left after the arena opens up? Still a lot of plot to go.

I ran through the arena once and then managed to do the difficult fights you're talking about at around level 48-50 if I'm remembering right (it's been a minute.) I think you'd have to have done some stupid grinding somewhere else if you skipped the arena but it would a terrible idea. If you haven't beat the fight yet, buffs, figuring out what they're weak against and swapping characters in and out of the fight were all really necessary. And good healing/mp restoring items. The Bento boxes the bartender makes were useful.

That was an insane difficulty jump for sure even if there was an in-series reason for it. Also I assume any time Eri is not actively in combat she's hosed off to run Ichiban Confections.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

iirc Eri is an optional party member so yeah she doesn't interact a lot with the others

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Muscle Tracer posted:

I found that to be true up until I got a few good Autobuild recipes. One plank with three or four fans and a steering column made moving almost anything in the overworld a breeze, but to your final point, maybe too much of a breeze.

I haven't even unlocked the autobuild yet. I can't tell if I'm extremely limited in my ability set because I just can't get to the cool stuff yet, or because I could and just missed it somehow.

I'v egot the same problem with increasing my battery capacity; I don't have a place to go to convert the zonaite into crystalline charges, so I can't do anything with it, and the entire Depths is basically worthless because of it. ...but again, the fact that most of these build challenges aren't really worth the effort to actually build something for means I'm not really hurting from the lack of battery capacity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the quest to get autobuild is pretty signposted

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For crystalline charges: There's a construct who will convert them for you in a cave in the Great Sky Island, and also one in the depths directly under every major settlement, barring Lookout Landing

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I haven't even unlocked the autobuild yet. I can't tell if I'm extremely limited in my ability set because I just can't get to the cool stuff yet, or because I could and just missed it somehow.

I'v egot the same problem with increasing my battery capacity; I don't have a place to go to convert the zonaite into crystalline charges, so I can't do anything with it, and the entire Depths is basically worthless because of it. ...but again, the fact that most of these build challenges aren't really worth the effort to actually build something for means I'm not really hurting from the lack of battery capacity.

You can solve both of these problems by going to the depths under the great plateau

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I waited a few months to play blasphemous 2 after being burned many times by indie games being launched with bugs only to encounter some pretty bad audio bugs in the game. This included having to do an entire boss fight without any audio cues. I looked it up and people have posted about the same audio issues from like October.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tunicate posted:

the quest to get autobuild is pretty signposted

The problem is that they immediately signpost a buncha different major questlines and don't tell you which ones you should do first, to say nothing of all the minor quests and exploration goals they give you. So it's very easy to miss despite the signposting - you just get distracted by all the million other things the game is demanding that you do.

explore Hyrule Castle -> paraglider. essential to do this first and most people do, but it's possible to ignore it
head towards Rito Village or the other major towns -> main quest, prob save for a bit later but each leg of the quest does give you a cool reward
explore the depths south of Lookout Landing -> autobuild and more battery juice - do this immediately after receiving glider
go around the stables doing stuff with the newspaper bird -> absolutely not important
find the geoglyphs -> master sword, worth doing fairly soon but not urgent
help the great faeries -> armor upgrades, pretty important, do this after you're done with autobuild imo

Autobuild is so essential that I find it kind of baffling that they don't give it to you at the end of the tutorial island. Same with the paraglider although they at least guide you towards that a lot harder. I also think they ought to point you to the great faeries harder considering how rear end the game becomes when you're facing black/silver bokoblins with unupgraded armor.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Playing Days Gone and there are entirely too many times where you go from frantically surviving and killing zombies freakers, to a flashback mission where you walk slowly along with Deacon's dead wife, occasionally literally picking flowers. Is it too much to ask for games to do plot while you're actually, y'know, playing the game?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Spawns in Control are too inconsistent, especially for completing the Bureau challenges. Sometimes I can cover an entire floor and find nothing, sometimes I leave and reenter a room and get mobbed by twenty Charged who popped into existence while I was out. Forget about looking for consistent enemy types spawning in certain locations - need to kill three snipers in Maintenance? Guess I'll just run circuits and hope they spawn eventually.

I do love the warning flashes to alert you enemies are about to arrive though. Not specific enough that you can set up spawncamping angles, but you know roughly where and when so can start prepping Launch.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Production/factory games that have logic gates that are HUGE.

This is a major pet peeve of mine. The easy example to use is Minecraft, where your wires are 1 m^3 and uninsulated, leading to any logic wiring system to be enormous and unwieldy off the bat. Now, for Minecraft, this isn't a huge deal because 3D gives you options to hide it, and the game isn't really automation focused anyway so you're just making toys and contraptions for the fun and challenge of it, which is cool and good.

On the other hand, games like Barotrauma, Factorio and *especially* Oxygen Not Included have single, in-world-placable gates in 2D settings, that then want to be wired to each other individually. Making any sort of conditional wire setup becomes an ugly annoying chore in quick order.

Oxygen, in particular, has AND gates that are 2x2 (characters are 2x1). Why??? Just give me a breadboard so I can have 2000 gates in a 1x1 square. There's no excuse! In these settings computers already explicitly exist!! AAAUGH

E: In every one of these cases, if you want to move or change something, then you're going to have to dig up the whole shebang and rebuild it from whole cloth-- most games with this problem don't have blueprint functions to fall back on (or, because the wires are in-game, moving everything over slightly will disconnect all your wires anyway)

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Dec 11, 2023

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

bossy lady posted:

I waited a few months to play blasphemous 2 after being burned many times by indie games being launched with bugs only to encounter some pretty bad audio bugs in the game. This included having to do an entire boss fight without any audio cues. I looked it up and people have posted about the same audio issues from like October.

Having just finished Blasphemous a week prior i jumped straight into B2 but everything just felt off,the art style the movement,even the first boss,i got a refund not long after.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The Messenger is a pretty great game overall, with some decent platform puzzles that in general are optional for 100% completion. Most of them are challenging but fair, and it's rewarding when you work out the solution. But the biggest thing in the favor of those puzzles is there's no time constraint. You can look at the puzzle and see all the elements and how to get from point A to B to C and plan a route. And if you fail, it's not a huge setback, usually just a handful of screens to the last checkpoint.

Until you get to the post game bonus levels, and the final final boss. Or maybe penultimate, I'm not sure because I'm stuck. The last challenge is a race against a shadow copy of yourself like the Mario Sunshine and Galaxy games, where you race to some object. First one to 5 wins it all. But a) there are 10 possible courses, randomized; b) these courses tend to pull out all the tricks (invisible platforms, instant death floors, multiple cloud-step bouncing) c) at least one of these courses requires the opponent to flip switches so you can progress.

Some of those courses are OK, but for most of them, a single mistake can throw you off and make you lose, because the AI, while not unbeatable, doesn't make mistakes. And if you fall into an instant death plane, it just gives one point to the opponent, rather than respawning you with a penalty, restarting the course or the whole trial, meaning that there are courses that I haven't even seen what they look like beyond the second or third obstacle. It's a strange difficulty spike in what up to this point has been a frustrating but fair game otherwise.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Evilreaver posted:

Oxygen, in particular, has AND gates that are 2x2 (characters are 2x1). Why??? Just give me a breadboard so I can have 2000 gates in a 1x1 square. There's no excuse! In these settings computers already explicitly exist!! AAAUGH

I have been experiencing a very depressing flavor of this in one of my favorite games, engineering sandbox game Besiege. There are a few basic automation tools, including a number of sensors, a simple timer, and a logic gate that can take one or two inputs to create an output.

Not only are these blocks pretty large, about half the size of the basic building block... but all of their inputs and outputs have to be bound to actual keys on your keyboard. Modifier keys or multi-key inputs aren't possible, so you're strictly limited to about 100 total inputs or outputs across your entire machine. So if you want to have, say, two OR gates feeding into an AND gate, that requires 7% of your total possible inputs (four for the OR inputs, two more for their outputs to the AND gate, and one for the AND gate's output).

It's ALMOST another fun engineering challenge, because so much of Besiege's charm is dealing with janky fragile blocks to do slapstick combat... but it ends up just being a frustrating and weirdly arbitrary limit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFXIV: The "Quest Accepted" jingle for Endwalker kind of blows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbbwnyyGFmk

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Having just finished Blasphemous a week prior i jumped straight into B2 but everything just felt off,the art style the movement,even the first boss,i got a refund not long after.

I see what you mean with it feeling different. The platforming feels less heavy than the original game and to be honest it was much easier than the original blasphemous too (to my recollection, anyway).

A lot of the enemies were just variants of one another. Near the middle of the game it started to bug me when I'd get to a new area and started to see repeats with slightly different attacks and swapped colors.

I thought the new weapons system, skill tree, altar statues, etc were pretty cool.

Overall, I think blasphemous 2 plays better but didn't impress me as much as the original. I still enjoyed it though. Maybe give it a try again in a few years :shrug:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

not having instant death spikes is a huge point in blasphemous 2's favour. the first had a much cooler art style though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I haven't played the second, but I loved the first game's use of imagery from obscure catholic art pieces, like the health upgrade person being the image of Mary with the 6 swords driven through her body representing her 6 sorrows.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

darkwasthenight posted:

Spawns in Control are too inconsistent, especially for completing the Bureau challenges. Sometimes I can cover an entire floor and find nothing, sometimes I leave and reenter a room and get mobbed by twenty Charged who popped into existence while I was out. Forget about looking for consistent enemy types spawning in certain locations - need to kill three snipers in Maintenance? Guess I'll just run circuits and hope they spawn eventually.

I do love the warning flashes to alert you enemies are about to arrive though. Not specific enough that you can set up spawncamping angles, but you know roughly where and when so can start prepping Launch.

If you're talking about board countermeasures, the trick is to realize there's zero penalty for dropping ones you don't feel like doing and you can in fact just cycle through them as much as you want. Unless of course it generated one with a kickass mod reward, in which case yeah, I feel ya.

The game in general is dragged down by all the weird cruft that tries to paint it as a traditional open world experience or something.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Oh, I did not care for the mod system in Control. All of the upgrades I got were basic ‘use less energy when throwing something’ or ‘your pistol variant does 8% more damage.’

Maybe there were fun ones that never dropped for me, but I found a set that worked for me and never really mixed it up. Though it was also compounded towards the end where I just stopped using the gun and just threw poo poo at every enemy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

Oh, I did not care for the mod system in Control. All of the upgrades I got were basic ‘use less energy when throwing something’ or ‘your pistol variant does 8% more damage.’

Maybe there were fun ones that never dropped for me, but I found a set that worked for me and never really mixed it up. Though it was also compounded towards the end where I just stopped using the gun and just threw poo poo at every enemy.

I just replayed that game and yeah, the mods are pretty underwhelming. It's mitigated for me by "always be throwing things" being the most fun way to play, so just equipping three good energy savers for hurling things is always solid. It just doesn't make for interesting pickups.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the mod stuff in Control was a weird misstep because there's very few that are actually useful.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There were a few legendary mods that were fun (0% spread for the shotgun mode and instant charge for the sniper mode come to mind), and they ramped up the values a ton in the DLC to be actually useful, but yeah the system wasn’t great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the mod stuff in Control was a weird misstep because there's very few that are actually useful.

The big problem with Control is that it's a game very clearly made for a singular, refined and focused playthrough... that then just has procedurally-generated missions and rewards bolted onto it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. In video games , as in forums, mods and control going together is just not good.