Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

What does 2mg of Ativan feel like for someone who's never had any before? I got prescribed this for a surgery I'm going to have in a few weeks. I'll be conscious with local anesthetic, but I know I'll have a hard time not passing out while people fiddle with my insides while I'm awake.

Am I gonna be mostly normal and just not worried? Am I gonna black out and spill all my secrets? This anti-anxiety is making me more anxious, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

I have my Switch and my PC connected to the same monitor and use the physical buttons on the monitor to change the aspect ratio depending on what I'm using. Is there a way to do this from the keyboard instead?

Just curious why this is necessary? Doesn't the monitor detect the resolution of the incoming signal and adjust accordingly? Don't the PC and switch both output 16:9 signals anyway?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i have a mystery stain (ew) on my (cotton) bathmat. it could be a bit of my partner's foundation based on the color, but who knows. i've used the oxi-clean spray on it - first saturating it and then rubbing it in, then washing several times, both on warm and hot. it seems to be mostly persistent. i've also tried dawn dish soap but it doesn't do a lot. it had definitely set when I finally noticed it. any other tricks? i've heard the longer the spray stays on the better.

Poldarn posted:

What does 2mg of Ativan feel like for someone who's never had any before? I got prescribed this for a surgery I'm going to have in a few weeks. I'll be conscious with local anesthetic, but I know I'll have a hard time not passing out while people fiddle with my insides while I'm awake.

Am I gonna be mostly normal and just not worried? Am I gonna black out and spill all my secrets? This anti-anxiety is making me more anxious, lol.

No idea for that dose, but I use a low dose of ativan (along with a beta blocker) for flying. it's definitely a less intense but much longer lasting feeling of sedation (compared to xanax if you've ever used that). it could very well put you to sleep

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what they used on me when I had my wisdom teeth taken out but I didn't remember anything at all from the time I was conscious but on whatever the stuff was. I think it's basically impossible to have any anxiety at all when you're on a big enough dose of that kind of drug.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

actionjackson posted:

i have a mystery stain (ew) on my (cotton) bathmat. it could be a bit of my partner's foundation based on the color, but who knows. i've used the oxi-clean spray on it - first saturating it and then rubbing it in, then washing several times, both on warm and hot. it seems to be mostly persistent. i've also tried dawn dish soap but it doesn't do a lot. it had definitely set when I finally noticed it. any other tricks? i've heard the longer the spray stays on the better.

If your partner uses foundation then use their makeup remover? That said I've never had makeup not come out of fabric if it's been through the washing machine but I also don't like waterproof formulas.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

If your partner uses foundation then use their makeup remover? That said I've never had makeup not come out of fabric if it's been through the washing machine but I also don't like waterproof formulas.

i'm not sure that's what it is - just a guess, and couldn't makeup remover also cause some sort of damage or discoloration when applied to fabric?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Tiggum posted:

Just curious why this is necessary? Doesn't the monitor detect the resolution of the incoming signal and adjust accordingly? Don't the PC and switch both output 16:9 signals anyway?

I have to set it to 21:9 for the PC, it's a real wide monitor. It does not automatically adjust, unless there's a way for me to tell it to do that? I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, and I have tried googling, it just hasn't gone well.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

actionjackson posted:

Have you tried carpet cleaner? I used to have a lot of trouble getting random stains out of my comforter but that poo poo works great most of the time.

Although one time an orange stain appeared and the carpet cleaner did absolutely nothing and bleach actually turned it darker. It finally came out when I used hot water and nothing else. Stains are weird.

Eta: I'm talking about that spray foam stuff like 409

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 11, 2023

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I don't know what they used on me when I had my wisdom teeth taken out but I didn't remember anything at all from the time I was conscious but on whatever the stuff was. I think it's basically impossible to have any anxiety at all when you're on a big enough dose of that kind of drug.

Oh yeah, I had something that I think was called Halcyon for wisdom tooth surgery about 20 years ago. I got all loopy and then woke up at home hours later. The dental assistant had a written list of things that I had insisted I wanted to remember later....I have no recollection of asking for that, but it sounds like something I would do. I also apparently told a pack of lies about things I owned or was going to buy, which is not something that I would do.

I'm hoping the Ativan just calms me down without making me too loopy.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
If it's any reassurance the doctors and nurses hear the goofiest poo poo imaginable every time they deal with patients who are drugged or delusional or have dementia or whatever else, they'll probably forget everything you say within a couple hours.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

actionjackson posted:

i'm not sure that's what it is - just a guess, and couldn't makeup remover also cause some sort of damage or discoloration when applied to fabric?

The infinite mystery of what caused a stain.

I haven't ever tried makeup remover on fabric personally but the kind I use is micellar water which I would very much be surprised if it stained anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

I have to set it to 21:9 for the PC, it's a real wide monitor. It does not automatically adjust, unless there's a way for me to tell it to do that? I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, and I have tried googling, it just hasn't gone well.

If you go into the menu on a lot of monitors and look at the settings, you can set the aspect ratio to "auto", which will make it change automatically based on the input signal. Based on the manual it doesn't look like yours has that option. :shrug:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

mystes posted:

I think there is a definite chance if you're identifiable they'll at least try to contact you to resolve the situation / get you to take the negative review down

I got contact today. They offered to let me return the goods despite their policy on opened products. They did not agree to refund shipping or pay for shipping it back to them, that's on me.

They also did not agree to change what's on the website. What I bought isn't a shirt, but in my 100% Italian cotton shirts example the argument these guys gave was the equivalent of 'We do make 100% cotton shirts. We get pure cotton, which we then blend with polyester to make our fabrics. And we buy the cotton from Italian wholesalers. It might not have been processed in Italy or even physically been in Italy but it's not a lie to say it's Italian cotton.' I pointed out that while I can't do anything about it, it clearly is intended to be misleading, and these also are terms defined by law and one day they'll get into trouble. And they're not a big enough company to hire the lawyers to get out of it. The person told me they can't make these decisions and has no direct access to people on the level that would. Which is likely true, but frustrating.

All in all I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I want to take a review that could warn others about this for what amounts to less than half of what I paid when you factor in shipping.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bright Bart posted:

I got contact today. They offered to let me return the goods despite their policy on opened products. They did not agree to refund shipping or pay for shipping it back to them, that's on me.

They also did not agree to change what's on the website. What I bought isn't a shirt, but in my 100% Italian cotton shirts example the argument these guys gave was the equivalent of 'We do make 100% cotton shirts. We get pure cotton, which we then blend with polyester to make our fabrics. And we buy the cotton from Italian wholesalers. It might not have been processed in Italy or even physically been in Italy but it's not a lie to say it's Italian cotton.' I pointed out that while I can't do anything about it, it clearly is intended to be misleading, and these also are terms defined by law and one day they'll get into trouble. And they're not a big enough company to hire the lawyers to get out of it. The person told me they can't make these decisions and has no direct access to people on the level that would. Which is likely true, but frustrating.

All in all I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I want to take a review that could warn others about this for what amounts to less than half of what I paid when you factor in shipping.

Leave the review up. gently caress those guys.
If I were shopping for things I'd be very happy to find a review like yours that highlights their lies

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

imo if they were willing to give you a 100% refund including shipping and pay for return shipping you could update your review with an addition to reflect that they were nice enough to do that but otherwise you shouldn't change it in that case since their site is still misleading

if they're not even willing to do that even though the product isn't as described that's not any kind of resolution. you would also be justified in cancelling the charge on your credit card.

If the product isn't as described it doesn't matter what their stated return policy is, they need to fully refund you imo. It's entirely their responsibility to not say things like "100% italian cotton" if it's not 100% italian cotton.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 11, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

mystes posted:

If the product isn't as described it doesn't matter what their stated return policy is, they need to fully refund you imo. It's entirely their responsibility to not say things like "100% italian cotton" if it's not 100% italian cotton.

Good point. My track record with this being the case having an influence is not spotless. But it's not entirely bad. This year I was overcharged for something. To continue the analogies, let's say I rent a power tool for a week and returned it on time. But come end of the month I see a three month rental charge on my card. They admitted it was a system error and acknowledged my receipts. Then said that their policy is that all discrepancies in billing must be brought to their attention within 14 calendar days and so there's nothing I can do.

When I emailed them the law about how you have at minimum 2 years to bring up discrepancies in billing and often more, I was a sent nasty message in my mailbox. Think 'Oh. So I see you're a lawyer all of a sudden? Well, you might want a refund from your imaginary law school not us. Ever heard of "de jure" and "de facto"? "De jure" we owe you your money. "De facto" we're not going to give it to you. Sue us if you like." As I was boiling over reading this I received another email, clearly hastily written without spellcheck and random caps lock, basically saying 'YOU HAVE RECEIVED A MESSAGE IN ERROR!!! IGNORE! We are happy that you have pointed this out and rest assured we will update our policy right away [they did], and monyy shld be in ur account ASAP give me 5 minutes.'

This was a municipal government owned business lol.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

actionjackson posted:

damage or discoloration when applied to fabric?

I mean, it's already damaged/discolored in that spot, so, I guess it can't hurt, maybe, to try?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bright Bart posted:

Good point. My track record with this being the case having an influence is not spotless. But it's not entirely bad. This year I was overcharged for something. To continue the analogies, let's say I rent a power tool for a week and returned it on time. But come end of the month I see a three month rental charge on my card. They admitted it was a system error and acknowledged my receipts. Then said that their policy is that all discrepancies in billing must be brought to their attention within 14 calendar days and so there's nothing I can do.

When I emailed them the law about how you have at minimum 2 years to bring up discrepancies in billing and often more, I was a sent nasty message in my mailbox. Think 'Oh. So I see you're a lawyer all of a sudden? Well, you might want a refund from your imaginary law school not us. Ever heard of "de jure" and "de facto"? "De jure" we owe you your money. "De facto" we're not going to give it to you. Sue us if you like." As I was boiling over reading this I received another email, clearly hastily written without spellcheck and random caps lock, basically saying 'YOU HAVE RECEIVED A MESSAGE IN ERROR!!! IGNORE! We are happy that you have pointed this out and rest assured we will update our policy right away [they did], and monyy shld be in ur account ASAP give me 5 minutes.'

This was a municipal government owned business lol.

Hooooooly poo poo, that's amazing. What do you think happened? Somebody typed what they were actually thinking, intending to vent, hit SEND by accident, and then went OH poo poo OH poo poo PANIC! and sent you a hastily written apology? Or do you think the second message was from the first person's supervisor doing the same OH poo poo OH poo poo damage control?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

lol that's pretty amazing. would love to have seen the behind the scenes moment there

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Silver Falcon posted:

Hooooooly poo poo, that's amazing. What do you think happened?

The second email was from a firstname.lastnameATcompany.com address rather than the serviceATcompany.com one I had been corresponding with. I didn't bother looking up who that person is in the company, but it wasn't the person signing the nasty message or the previous emails. Otherwise I'd figure it was the first option. But I am edging towards it being the second. It was way too soon after the first to have been caught in a random review. So maybe supervisors get pinged when the support people use key terms like 'we owe you your money', 'injury', 'court case', 'de jure', 'you're a lawyer', and especially 'sue us'.

Earwicker posted:

lol that's pretty amazing. would love to have seen the behind the scenes moment there

Yeah, but I take pleasure in knowing that it's likely better than I can imagine.

I did feel bad in taking such pleasure because maybe this lady speaking with me was just venting in a draft on a bad day. I don't know if she should lose her job. And I'd feel bad to learn she was fired, which is very plausibly what ended up happening especially if this wasn't isolated. But on the other hand I imagine maybe she found a better job that didn't turn her into a huge jerk.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how is it that with all the complex poo poo AI is doing these days, websites are still protecting themselves with a simple checkbox that says "I'm not a robot"?

like i know their "intelligence" is often overstated but if my phone can go through all my pictures and automatically make folders of specific people based on facial recognition, surely AI can handle looking at a webpage, finding that bit, and activating a button?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They can't move the cursor to the box in a way that looks human yet.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Poldarn posted:

So you will feel more relaxed (possibly more than you ever have before), sleepy, and not really care about what is going on around you. It can hit pretty fast when you take it. You will more than likely be sleepy the whole day at that dose. Do not drive after taking this. To me, it's not a "high" but then again, I take it for anxiety when needed (2-3 times a year).

I never have seen anyone who spills the tea when on these meds from a prescribed dose, so I wouldn't be to worried about that. I was a pharm tech in a hospital before I so I do have first hand experience of seeing people on many types of medications. Don't do something like take half of the dose, because the effects of this are being used to make you not feel mentally uncomfortable during surgery. You will be getting pain meds during surgery too, and it is quite possible that even though you are "awake" you will have a very hazy memory of what was or is going on. This is by design, and a good thing.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Earwicker posted:

how is it that with all the complex poo poo AI is doing these days, websites are still protecting themselves with a simple checkbox that says "I'm not a robot"?

like i know their "intelligence" is often overstated but if my phone can go through all my pictures and automatically make folders of specific people based on facial recognition, surely AI can handle looking at a webpage, finding that bit, and activating a button?

This lady explains it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UuvwY6CdLo

TLDW it observes the exact movement the cursor makes as well as your internet activity.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Earwicker posted:

a simple checkbox that says "I'm not a robot"?

It's not a simple checkbox. It checks an unknown mix of things like your cookies, maybe the timing of when you click it, maybe how you move your mouse, browser settings?, other secret IP tracking?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I Miss Snausages posted:

So you will feel more relaxed (possibly more than you ever have before), sleepy, and not really care about what is going on around you. It can hit pretty fast when you take it. You will more than likely be sleepy the whole day at that dose. Do not drive after taking this. To me, it's not a "high" but then again, I take it for anxiety when needed (2-3 times a year).

I never have seen anyone who spills the tea when on these meds from a prescribed dose, so I wouldn't be to worried about that. I was a pharm tech in a hospital before I so I do have first hand experience of seeing people on many types of medications. Don't do something like take half of the dose, because the effects of this are being used to make you not feel mentally uncomfortable during surgery. You will be getting pain meds during surgery too, and it is quite possible that even though you are "awake" you will have a very hazy memory of what was or is going on. This is by design, and a good thing.

I dunno how it works in America but here I don't think they even let you leave if you don't have a ride with a friend or family because they don't want you crashing the car or getting taken advantage of by an uber driver.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

TLDW it observes the exact movement the cursor makes as well as your internet activity.

interesting

seems like its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to make AI that can imitate human hesitations and incompetence when it comes to these things and fake broswer histories etc. i guess its still cheaper to pay the sweatshop people now

i look forward to the next phase

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think you'd have to train AI specifically to beat the robot test, and I think the robot test is maintained by algorithms that keep it learning pretty good. I don't think the cost-benefit works out very well on the AI side of the equation where we're at right now, but if AI ever becomes an actual economically workable thing then it could happen in the future.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Earwicker posted:

they aren't :confused:

Could you link me some Scandinavian folk music with male vocals?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NotNut posted:

yes check out Wardruna

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Earwicker posted:

yes check out Wardruna

Thanks.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

NotNut posted:

Some I found googling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFKmdJL27I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikJgC2ozQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvSdRe1QzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GAmi9Xw1jk

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I dunno how it works in America but here I don't think they even let you leave if you don't have a ride with a friend or family because they don't want you crashing the car or getting taken advantage of by an uber driver.

In America, it is the same way, but I can tell you that lots of people will have a procedure in the morning, and I ran into them in the afternoon at the store and they drove themselves.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How many people don't even realise that the "don't operate heavy machinery" warning on drugs means drive a car.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Inceltown posted:

How many people don't even realise that the "don't operate heavy machinery" warning on drugs means drive a car.

They let literal children drive cars. Some states as young as 14 or 14 1/2 IIRC. Plus people used to drive drunk all the time, and I've never seen an old timey 50s businessman crash their Caddy in at least a decade. You're telling me I can't drive myself home after 2 mg of lorazepam when I've already waited two hours for my discharge? It's one hour per unit chump.

Yes don't drive especially since depending on the benzodiazepine and obviously the dose you might not even feel off when you most certainly are.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

If a human had a baculum, is that something that you'd even really notice? I can't tell if that's something that would look indistinguishable from a boneless dick from the outside, or if you'd immediately be like, "woah, what's up with your dick?" I know other primates have boney boners, but I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to monkey dicks in my life.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Inceltown posted:

The supposed legal reason about the wording of "Do not operate heavy machinery" is that if the sticker or instructions said "Do not drive while on this medication" a large percentage of people would refuse to take the medication.

Most people need to drive because of our infrastructure sucking in America, so that is a big problem. If you put the warning of do not operate heaving machinery in the instructions and on the bottle, if the person hits someone in a car while on that medication, the pharmacy and prescribing doctor won't be liable for their actions, because a its easy enough court to go to a person and say "You don't consider a multi-ton vehicle heavy machinery?"

I can't say its fair in every case, but that is what lawsuits about a prescribee making the choice to take a medication have decided.

The flip side to this is that if you are taking the medication in front of the pharmacist or doctor, they will outright tell you do not drive for 24 hours, because they are physically observing you under the influence of your meds, or had you take them while on the property of the clinic/hospital. That has different case law that more matches that of bars and bartenders getting sued for over serving. That is what observation is for after taking the med and making sure you have a ride while physically on the property of the prescriber or dispenser of that incapacitating medication. Once you are basically out of the building, they can't be liable for those actions, because you signed a release stating that you should not drive as part of the discharge paperwork, along with the person doing the discharging verifying you have a ride in the form of another person or taxi or whatever.

There are always edge cases where some negligence can be found, but the medical malpractice law on this is pretty well settled.

EDIT: When I was in a retail pharmacy, it was always sad when people would refuse to pick up their blood thinners because they were told, under no circumstances may you drink alcohol while taking them. I guess that is what happens when you live in Wisconsin.

I Miss Snausages fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 12, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im american and last time i had surgery and was given pain meds it was technically a "you can't leave unless we know you have someone to give you a ride" type situation but i just vaguely mentioned to my wife being in the parking lot they didnt actually check or take my keys or anything, i could have easily driven home if i'd been so inclined and they wouldn't have even known

so i guess it depends on what you mean by "they wont let you". i have a feeling in most cases its like that, theyll just kind of say you arent supposed to but they wont actually stop you

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a safer alternative to candles to give a room that same sort of cozy lighting? You know, lots of low very warm light. I know they make little decorative led candles but all the ones I've seen are cheap junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I was taking the bus when I got a camera stuck down my throat and that was considered a perfectly acceptable answer