Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

hey that's unfair, my bro and bud got most of the fundamentals down, but there's no justification for dudes 10 levels above them playing like they do

Admittedly I'm being a bit of a dick there but my point is that the enemies of the imperium care not for why someone isn't good, just that they aren't. So 2 new players that presumably haven't hit max level on at least one character are just going to be "not good" even if for their hours into the game they are "good". So that just puts more pressure on the random joining you three to also be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I do 4s for experimental builds.. that I know can't kill the weaker stuff in 5s. My Non-warp using psyker says hello

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've started winning some Heresy's and just starting to vibe with pushing dodging and staggering absolutely everything I can at all times and I'm having so much fun as a Bullgryn. I love this game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ooh, got the new shovel on my vet. it had vs carapace, +crit damage (modded one stat to vs flak already), thrust, and hammerblow. what's a good second thing to change?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Finally played the new new patch and was able to re-talent my vet so i could have the spotting keystone and extra ammo, so I count that as a win. Still a few too many talents that should be combined with other talents, but was glad to hit most of the things I wanted.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I should get to be a Warp Spider.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

MrTheDevious posted:

4s are the worst difficulty. It's where all the people who think they're ready for harder missions go to get abused for a while. If you're trying to carry 3/4 of the team, do it in 5/auric so there's at least a half chance the randoms are good

Heresy is alright but it's basically the highest difficulty a lot of people are ever going to play. Sort of like Champion in Vermintide. So people who are underleveled, people who just aren't very good and don't want to learn, people who are used to being carried but never want to improve, will all basically stabilize there.

I just had a really dire game with a ranged zealot, a ranged ogryn, and a ranged vet. I had queued up for Heresy because sometimes if I got one game in me after work I just like to know I can get something finished to knock out my quests. It was just all of them blowing entire clips into enemies and screaming for ammo the entire game. It culminated in the final scanning objective where all of them died in completely the wrong room; the scanner targets were literally in a different room. I'm not sure any of them even know how the auspex worked. But on the other hand like, that's sort of what I expect from Heresy at least some of the time.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

On a Maelstrom run, and someone thought it was a great idea to drop their medipack two meters away from a working medicae station.

When they were the only person injured. For less than one wound point.

I've never initiated a kick vote before, but sometimes you just know when a teammate's going to be the weak link in the final push.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Heresy is alright but it's basically the highest difficulty a lot of people are ever going to play. Sort of like Champion in Vermintide. So people who are underleveled, people who just aren't very good and don't want to learn, people who are used to being carried but never want to improve, will all basically stabilize there.

I just had a really dire game with a ranged zealot, a ranged ogryn, and a ranged vet. I had queued up for Heresy because sometimes if I got one game in me after work I just like to know I can get something finished to knock out my quests. It was just all of them blowing entire clips into enemies and screaming for ammo the entire game. It culminated in the final scanning objective where all of them died in completely the wrong room; the scanner targets were literally in a different room. I'm not sure any of them even know how the auspex worked. But on the other hand like, that's sort of what I expect from Heresy at least some of the time.

Yeah, Heresy is alright if you are in the mindset that you are playing with bots and probably will have to carry it.

If someone is playing in Heresy and feels that he has to carry or it's getting in pubs with room temperature IQ players check your equipment and build so it's solid at doing something and start pubbing in Damnation games. Of course you will eat poo poo your first 5-10-20 games until you get used to the speed you need to react and make decisions but after that then it gets easier each game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's kind of weird how Fatshark thought it was necessary to aggressively gatekeep weapons and skills with player levels, but at the same time you can be level 1 and hop right into an auric maelstrom damnation, no questions asked.

Honestly, the game shouldn't even have a level up system in my opinion. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it adds nothing to the game other than frustration and tedium for new players (or not-new players who made a new character). Especially egregious for Psykers who don't even get access to a staff until level 7. This isn't an MMO. What's the point of this crap?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks again for all the feedback again on Psyker everyone. As I get more levels I'll be playing with the different load outs (assail + bubble vs catching everyone on soul fire vs a shriek build to see what works best for me)

I'm getting better with the Peril and only kill myself once every few missions when poo poo really hits the fan and the darkness takes me over and I go apeshit

Once might be a lot every few missions but I was doing it like twice a mission so that's a win!!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Devils Affricate posted:

you can be level 1 and hop right into an auric maelstrom damnation, no questions asked.

Can you? I thought it was greyed out until lvl 30

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Mega Comrade posted:

The non-level 30 player can't queue into a Maelstrom but if they're in a strike team with another level 30 that level 30 can queue up the Maelstrom.

Lower level Maelstroms are a good way to power level a friend if everyone's on the ball.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Actually, you're right. I just checked and the auric missions require level 30. However, the non-auric damnation missions only require level 15, and heresy missions require level 9. I'm sorry, but I don't want someone who's level 9 on my team when I'm playing heresy. Not because the player presumably sucks, but because their character definitely sucks due to missing so many talents.

I guess at least by knowing this, I can avoid the issue just by sticking to auric missions.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
No I agree. If you want to carry your friends. Do it in a 4 man.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The early access to higher difficulties is so ogryn don't get bored. You're the equivalent of a 30 zealot by level 10.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I power leveled friends in heresy/damnation easy maelstroms, but the real kicker is when you do a hard maelstrom and you get little Timmy with their green weapons on a fresh 30.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Two fresh level 30 zealots in the lobby with Loner and gray weapons. Could not click “leave mission” fast enough.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any good psycher build guides out there? Just started playing around with mine and there are a few decisions I'm not quite sure about. For example, Kinetic Flayer sounds fun in theory but seems like it will just randomly pop poxwalkers now and then on later difficulties.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Any good psycher build guides out there? Just started playing around with mine and there are a few decisions I'm not quite sure about. For example, Kinetic Flayer sounds fun in theory but seems like it will just randomly pop poxwalkers now and then on later difficulties.

Kinetic Flayer is great, sure it'll just pop a poxwalker occasionally but you forget all the times it just deletes a rager for you or you get the proc when brain rupturing an ogryn and it saves you a bunch of time. I have it on my Purgatus build and it's great.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The 10% dud fire rate on plasma gun in this patch is… vexing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Evil Kit posted:

Kinetic Flayer is great, sure it'll just pop a poxwalker occasionally but you forget all the times it just deletes a rager for you or you get the proc when brain rupturing an ogryn and it saves you a bunch of time. I have it on my Purgatus build and it's great.

Mind sharing your purgatus build? I've always used voidstrike but I want to branch out (even though the Purgatus staff I have right now is kind of bad). Based on running with psychers, it seems like a purgatus/bubble build is one of the ultimate support builds. The primary fire of the purgatus just seems to keep everything staggered indefinitely at times.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Valtonen posted:

it still fires as normal, you just don't get any animation or VFX of it going off. I've killed things this "dud" shot, so it's purely a visual issue.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Mind sharing your purgatus build? I've always used voidstrike but I want to branch out (even though the Purgatus staff I have right now is kind of bad). Based on running with psychers, it seems like a purgatus/bubble build is one of the ultimate support builds. The primary fire of the purgatus just seems to keep everything staggered indefinitely at times.

Sure, lucky for you i'm home sick today so you get it right away:

https://darktide.gameslantern.com/b...gn=share_button

You take dueling sword because your main weakness is a large target that can ignore the flames and mutants. Mutants you can stun with a special attack headshot, then follow up with two heavy attacks to kill. You crit a lot with Purgatus so the crit talents are all pretty worth it imo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Valtonen posted:

It is really annoying but thankfully for me at least I usually get the bug where it still fires and just doesn't properly show the audiovisuals rather than it not firing at all like I've heard some people experience

Also rolled up a Plasma Gun with the full 80% Damage stat(and at least a 70% in every other stat except Charge Rate) and it is really satisfying to run into a group of gunners or shotgun guys and just vaporize the lot of them in a couple seconds, or hear a Trapper or Bomber spawn and just pick them off like the annoying gnats they are

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I am 2 kills and 1 kill away from the “120 enemies in 30 seconds” penance and the “kill 15 enemies with headshots in 10 seconds” and I’m pretty sure I came that close on both in the same game. Had just finished the foggy interrogator room in the new map and got a horde just as we entered the barracks. I was the only one who noticed 95% of was climbing the broken ledge on the right and went to town on it with my stubber. There was nothing but heads poking up as they climbed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing that stopped me from getting both was a short lull that happened between two groups of poxwalkers.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kibayasu posted:

I am 2 kills and 1 kill away from the “120 enemies in 30 seconds” penance and the “kill 15 enemies with headshots in 10 seconds” and I’m pretty sure I came that close on both in the same game. Had just finished the foggy interrogator room in the new map and got a horde just as we entered the barracks. I was the only one who noticed 95% of was climbing the broken ledge on the right and went to town on it with my stubber. There was nothing but heads poking up as they climbed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing that stopped me from getting both was a short lull that happened between two groups of poxwalkers.

this is easiest to do on the Repair mission, after you complete the finale and head to the drop ship you can just shove the horde that constantly drops down into a bunch of dudes until they stack up enough and then mulch them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Evil Kit posted:

it still fires as normal, you just don't get any animation or VFX of it going off. I've killed things this "dud" shot, so it's purely a visual issue.

You take dueling sword because your main weakness is a large target that can ignore the flames and mutants. Mutants you can stun with a special attack headshot, then follow up with two heavy attacks to kill. You crit a lot with Purgatus so the crit talents are all pretty worth it imo.

Thanks. I'm also home sick :hfive: so I've been experimenting with Darktide instead of being useful.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the run down on the fun background stuff. I think I follow now. The Dregs (dudes in yellow) are the former ruling aristocracy, their hangers on, plus a bunch of local hired muscle. The Scabs (blue armor) are an off-world traitor militia who swooped in to help. Blue and yellow are independent outfits, but blue seems to defer to yellow since it's yellow's show. That about right?

Oh, and the zombie civilians are just zombified civilians whose status in society and opinions on whether or not they should be made into zombies don't matter.

The question burning in my mind now is why are Dregs, who all have messed up skin, not called Scabs?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Crackerjack posted:

Thanks for the run down on the fun background stuff. I think I follow now. The Dregs (dudes in yellow) are the former ruling aristocracy, their hangers on, plus a bunch of local hired muscle. The Scabs (blue armor) are an off-world traitor militia who swooped in to help. Blue and yellow are independent outfits, but blue seems to defer to yellow since it's yellow's show. That about right?

Oh, and the zombie civilians are just zombified civilians whose status in society and opinions on whether or not they should be made into zombies don't matter.

The question burning in my mind now is why are Dregs, who all have messed up skin, not called Scabs?

Because scabs are a hard crust over a wound, which is what all that flak armor is. Also, they’re non-union traitors.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Trappers are Scabs, meaning they're traitor guard, meaning the Guard is full of chortling women with nets, apparently.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Crackerjack posted:

The Moebian 6th is not a militia, it is a full on Imperial Guard veteran regiment with everything that entails. Also I don't think they're blue? Their armor is all matte black with green highlights, the Moebian 21st has blue armor (aka the guard on our side)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
look i'm already signing up for the guard you don't need to give me more reasons

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Okay I can confirm that a Mk6 Catachan knife with tier 4 Haymaker will pretty much have a constant 20% chance to kill anything up at all times. Slap on as much attack speed as you can muster and watch as hordes just keel over every time you perform a heavy sweep.

Pair it with a nice, high-impact sidearm and you're basically Sly Marbo.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

Evil Kit posted:

The Moebian 6th is not a militia, it is a full on Imperial Guard veteran regiment with everything that entails. Also I don't think they're blue? Their armor is all matte black with green highlights, the Moebian 21st has blue armor (aka the guard on our side)

Oh! You're right. They have a green thing going on. I have no idea why I thought 'blue'. Haha.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

drat Dirty Ape posted:

For example, Kinetic Flayer sounds fun in theory but seems like it will just randomly pop poxwalkers now and then on later difficulties.

Ideally it's popping hard targets like Crushers but even when it takes out a random walker it's a good thing, because it's building and maintaining your warp charges. Synergizes well with the warp charge keystone on the left side.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Estel posted:

Yeah, Heresy is alright if you are in the mindset that you are playing with bots and probably will have to carry it.

If someone is playing in Heresy and feels that he has to carry or it's getting in pubs with room temperature IQ players check your equipment and build so it's solid at doing something and start pubbing in Damnation games. Of course you will eat poo poo your first 5-10-20 games until you get used to the speed you need to react and make decisions but after that then it gets easier each game.

I played a few pub damnation games yesterday and won them all. I just took my pause button zealot with a good chainsword and bolter. Hack up hordes and when six carapace ogryns show up I mag dump and kill them all then go back to horde clear.

Had an extremely funny one where we got a boss on that outdoor scaffold and I got blown across the map, survived, and ran back hacking through to finish the boss with my bolter while two were down. Felt good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Reiley posted:

Trappers are Scabs, meaning they're traitor guard, meaning the Guard is full of chortling women with nets, apparently.

that's the Moebian Net Chortler Division, an honoured tradition

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

that's the Moebian Net Chortler Division, an honoured tradition

That's the XVII Moebian Net Chortler Division ("Margrave's Ticklers") to you!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Evil Kit posted:

I went to compare my build out of curiosity: https://darktide.gameslantern.com/builds/9ad3c41b-5715-40dc-a898-66ea59c925a9/purg-bb-bubble

Bottom half of the tree is mostly the same, but the very top half is swapped because I elected to go for consistency over crit effects. Some differences in the weapons, where EK's staff uses Warp Nexus for more crits while I went Terrifying Barrage for more crowd control. The choice of the Mk II sword is interesting because I don't actually know what its advantages are over the other dueling swords, I went with Mk V because it double dips on mobility stats so the dodges are huge (was able to reliably sidestep mutants back before their grabbing was nerfed). Rampage as a blessing there seems like a bit of a wash since for crowds you have the staff, I decided to go with Uncanny Strike instead. Comes down to preferred play style in the end either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
May we all learn to love our jobs as much as the Scab Trapper