Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your soul isn't strong enough, basically. You have to beat Death 4 more times, then postgame will open up. Once it's open, you can get to Floor 11 without needing anything special, but Floor 12 is gated behind being strongly morally/integrally aligned.

Thanks. Some things in the game are fairly opaque and require looking up to get an idea as to what something is or what I should be doing. Like what the hell is specialization?

Also, apparently a big update for the game is coming around Dec 23, so looks like I got in at the right time. Definitely enjoying the game so far!

E: the perk that gives a free dodge hit green heart is kind of OP since it basically gives you a mulligan each room which saves you from recovering a lot of damage over time.

Speaking of opaqueness, I thought prioritizing foods was important to get level up and perks based on what the game tells you in the tutorial, but some Steam guides say to avoid dex or int if you're a strength character, so I dunno what to think now. :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

victrix posted:

I feel like I still have to visit an ai generated fandom wiki after reading that

I'm not sure how much more detail I can add to that beyond you need to be Pure {alignment} (4 points or higher) to get into Floor 12.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Speaking of opaqueness, I thought prioritizing foods was important to get level up and perks based on what the game tells you in the tutorial, but some Steam guides say to avoid dex or int if you're a strength character, so I dunno what to think now. :confused:

The game has a weighting system that tries to give you more stuff appropriate to your build, so by taking Dex/Int you're diluting your pool of rewards, basically. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, you're going to get strong stuff regardless, and the 0.2 update is going to flip a lot of conventional wisdom about 0.1 onto its head.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 9, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

edit: Although this may be in the version you're playing -- do weapons have visible stat scaling rankings when you look at them? Like a blue "A" and a green "C" means the weapon scales a lot from intelligence, and a medium amount from dexterity. It's similar to how weapon stat scaling works in Dark Souls if you've played that

Ohhhh, that's what that means. That's pretty opaque, thanks for clarifying it.

(also, I continue to be annoyed by the gamedevs who assume that everyone's intimately familiar with Dark Souls, a series I have negative interest in playing purely due to the aesthetics and setting)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

All/most Legendary weapons have S scaling in every stat or no scaling at all, and they're pretty easy to find by opening generic statless weapon chests (the dark green one), so in the new/beta version stats are mostly just about what talents you want. The higher a stat is, the more likely associated talents are to show up in the levelup screen.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 9, 2023

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm not sure how much more detail I can add to that beyond you need to be Pure {alignment} (4 points or higher) to get into Floor 12.

How can you change your alignment? So far, I've only found buying or selling at the black market.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When you unlock the ability to get there (world tier 4 IIRC), new shops start showing up regularly that change your alignment every time you buy from them

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 10, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh so it's kind of like Binding of Isaac in that you need to beat the game several times before unlocking further routes and progression?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OutOfPrint posted:

How can you change your alignment? So far, I've only found buying or selling at the black market.

Along with what ddpm said, you can also get gear that alters it.

Beta recently added the Druid, Esper, and Cyborg classes, plus a bunch of tweaks today:

quote:

V15:

New class can be unlocked: Druid
New class can be unlocked: Esper
New class can be unlocked: Cyborg

Adjusted some unlock conditions for other new classes making them unlock earlier.

Trait Changes:
Testudo now grants -1 tally by default + further per maximum block.

Other:
Trait tomes shouldn't roll traits you have any more.
The "accuracy" stat got removed.
There is additional penalties (critical hit chance and top end damage) for going over equip load but the later overburdened states are harder to achieve. (this also works with Natural Burden trait)
Further adjustments and fixes to the set bonus algorithm.
Consumable rewards now spawn 2-3 consumables, up from 1-2.
Added Crystalized Soul Hearts and Cheese to the random consumable pool.
Phoenix Feathers returned as a auto-consumed revive. (Can also spawn from Random Consumable)
Mana Catalyst (Gift/Accessory) now adds less mana cost.
The sacramental bread with the Radio gift. (which is still a work in progress, especially Sound-wise)
Mana Potions now grant %-mana refund instead of mana regeneration. This also applies to the Mana Elixir from gifts.
Mana bar now greys out when your weapon doesn't benefit from mana.
There is a new tooltip explaining what "non-triggered" means.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Surely I will do a proper Tiny Rogues thread when the new version is released in one or two weeks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your soul isn't strong enough, basically. You have to beat Death 4 more times, then postgame will open up. Once it's open, you can get to Floor 11 without needing anything special, but Floor 12 is gated behind being strongly morally/integrally aligned.

Hey, what gives? I beat Death 4 or 5 times, got past the hallway, but now I can only see two locked doors. No way to access Floor 11 from here.

Also I don't know if the Reincarnation perk is bugged or what, because I died against Mega Death and I just straight up died, no revive with hearts or anything. What a rip-off.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Hey, what gives?

OP could’ve clarified better, but those features are on the beta branch; you’re playing the main branch right now

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got my Steam Deck back and bought Cobalt Core to celebrate. I should've maybe asked before but is it good? Seems real neat!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I got my Steam Deck back and bought Cobalt Core to celebrate. I should've maybe asked before but is it good? Seems real neat!

It got like five pages of glowing discussion a week or two ago, you're good!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
First person with PMs to reply to this post will get a key for Alina of the Arena PMed to them.

Sent.
\/\/\/

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 10, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Quixzlizx posted:

First person with PMs to reply to this post will get a key for Alina of the Arena PMed to them.

😘

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And that's every class S-ranked on Guardian IV in Roboquest. :toot:

Turns out if you get the right pieces together ability-focused Elementalist gets drat silly.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
One more update squeezed in before the year runs out on Shadow of the Wyrm:

https://jcd748.itch.io/shadow-of-the-wyrm/devlog/648537/whats-new-in-162

quote:

- Characters may now choose to be godless at creation
- A few improvements to how options are presented in curses mode to improve interaction with screen readers
- Mushrooms, fungus, & special mushrooms
- Amaurosis has been buffed a bit
- Item status now affects a lot more things than it used to
- Most plants are now themselves plantable, and will yield food the following year
- Added an NPC to Carcassia that can bless the player's equiment - for a price
- New trap type, "trap trap", which generates traps around it
- Externalized a bunch of stuff to help with modding
- Stanzas for the long poem
- Lots of bug fixes, including several crash bugs around climbing mountains, specifying an invalid race for a creature, thievery, as well as some more cosmetic/quality of life ones

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How do I get 4 infusions in Tiny Rogues to unlock the Mystic class? I swear there have been some runs where I keep picking the infusion room whenever I see it, but they must be giving me overlapping infusions because I only get up to 3 at a time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How do I get 4 infusions in Tiny Rogues to unlock the Mystic class? I swear there have been some runs where I keep picking the infusion room whenever I see it, but they must be giving me overlapping infusions because I only get up to 3 at a time.

Unless it has changed recently the mystic is unlocked by equipping 4 charms, not having 4 infusions. On the beta branch version, anyway.

If you do need 4 infusions, there are only 3 standard infusions (fire/ice/lightning) but there's an event that can give a poison infusion and another one that can give a holy infusion.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
One of the starting items is the poison infusion so you can just pick it there too.

Idk how I feel about Tiny Rogues beta branch. The current game is "too easy" but it's still fun and I'm not convinced the game systems are balanced enough to be fun with the difficulty turned way up. Then again if they add the same metaprogression upgrades as the base game it'll be pretty easy again (no idea what the actual plans there are).

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have a new Steamdeck, and the beta branch for Tiny Rogues has a hosed up display. The resolution or something is off. I checked the game display options and they all look good. Any thoughts?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

No Wave posted:

One of the starting items is the poison infusion so you can just pick it there too.

Idk how I feel about Tiny Rogues beta branch. The current game is "too easy" but it's still fun and I'm not convinced the game systems are balanced enough to be fun with the difficulty turned way up. Then again if they add the same metaprogression upgrades as the base game it'll be pretty easy again (no idea what the actual plans there are).

Oh okay cool, I'll try it that way then.

Also, if you use the the Soul Orb after collecting the 3 Soul Shards does that lock you out of fighting Mega Death?

e: Oh somehow I got 4 infusions at the same time as the Priest even though I was targeting potions not infusions. Strange.

Anyways, how can I get 10 mana stars at the same time? I know there's the +3 mana stars perk, but apart from that I think it's just RNG finding the permanent mana stars you blow up with a bomb.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 11, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
New Tiny Rogues BETA has all classes unlocked for testing.

That is a lot of classes! Only tried the super hero so far and being able to start with +5 armor makes things a lot easier once you find a real weapon.

Here's some of the other super perks that only this class can roll as their first selection. Not sure if this is all of them because I ran out of dice.

This update is so fun and it doesn't even have metaprog yet, looking forward to seeing the finished product and grinding out all these unlocks on full release.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

One more update squeezed in before the year runs out on Shadow of the Wyrm:

https://jcd748.itch.io/shadow-of-the-wyrm/devlog/648537/whats-new-in-162

Holy poo poo a developer calling out screen readers explicitly? We really are making progress. Thanks for posting this. I dunno if anyone else has played it but I'm interested on the strength of that alone.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Diephoon posted:

New Tiny Rogues BETA has all classes unlocked for testing.

That is a lot of classes!

That's indeed, a lot of classes, so many that I wonder not if they are going to have some overlap of not, but how much they overlap will be. Well, if some are too similar he can differentiate them in the coming months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No Wave posted:

It's being revamped almost entirely and will come back soon, maybe even this week. As for the difficulty, once I got acclimated that I couldn't just dash through everything forever, and that soul hearts/armor/block are now high priority, I didn't have too much more trouble with it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Super Rich :allears:

If the dev's planning on three more expansions then class bloat is surely going to be a thing but if Timebreak Chronicles taught me anything is that having a bizarre variety of stuff to choose from is great.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's being revamped almost entirely and will come back soon, maybe even this week. As for the difficulty, once I got acclimated that I couldn't just dash through everything forever, and that soul hearts/armor/block are now high priority, I didn't have too much more trouble with it.

I have the feeling he has been adding content until the last second for the new version of the game (even in updates for the beta version as shown before), so the current beta is more like an alpha, and the real beta where stuff gets balanced and polished will be the first month of the game once the new version is released to the bigger public.
So yeah, right now I wouldn't be worried if the difficulty is op or up or if a specific synergy is off.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Holy poo poo a developer calling out screen readers explicitly? We really are making progress. Thanks for posting this. I dunno if anyone else has played it but I'm interested on the strength of that alone.

I play it every so often, it's very old school but enjoyable. If you liked games like ADOM or Omega you'll probably like it; though in terms of current games influenced by that branch of the Roguelike tree it's not as complete or innovative as, say, Qud.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow all the pieces lined up and I got an insanely busted Tiny Rogues build. The poison aura trait, the body armor that gives a radiant damage aura, the shield that doubles aura size, and the trait that gives enemies in your aura range the debuff that makes them take more DOT damage. Beat Death stage 2 without needing to use my weapon lol

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Schism starts EA with a bang to join Tiny Rogues escalating unto madness and excess with revelry:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2084300/view/3865840827122730282

quote:

EARLY ACCESS
After years of development, including about 10 months since 2 Left Thumbs first signed the game, Schism is finally launching into Early Access! But don't let that label deceive you.

Schism is launching as a near fully-completed game. It is already packed to the brim with complex items and systems that layer together in fun and infinitely engaging ways. "Early Access" is simple the easiest way to signal, there is plenty more to come!!

Features
🔹 Switch Frequencies to dodge bullets
🗺️ 9 randomized Floors
🎲 120+ Relics of power
🔫40+ Weapons w/ gun-mods
✝️ 14 gods to worship
💪 8 Stats to level up
🥞 MANY more layers to discover!!

Launch Update
Alongside the transition to Early Access, we are dropping a new update! This includes new relics, weapons, and more - as well as balancing and fixes thanks to the diligent bug reporting from fans and playtesters!

If you encounter any bugs (or have other feedback for us), please drop a reply in the official Steam bug reporting thread, or come give as a shout in the Discord!

NEW
-new weapon: Deep League
-new weapon: Sir Spellington
-new weapon: Rainbow Rider
-new weapon: Boom Stick
-new weapon: Crowd Pleaser
-new weapon: Hook Sinker

-new event: Hygeniust
-new event: Memory Enthusiast

-new achievement: Holier than Thou
-new unlockable god: Prime
-new relic: Panacea
-new relic: Base Reality
-new relic: Wrath of Prime

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Love to hear people's impression of it if anyone has one! I want to dig in to the demo but I've been too busy lately.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat floor 12 in tiny rogues. Had the most busted build I think yet.

This thing + the all hits are crushing + a bunch of other crap including increased damage when you taunt someone etc led to every room instantly dying lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Schism starts EA with a bang to join Tiny Rogues escalating unto madness and excess with revelry:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2084300/view/3865840827122730282

I will probably pick this up, loved the mysteriousness of the demo and it wasn't a bad little arena shooter on top of that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just beat the High Heavens in Tiny Rogues while playing as the Kratos knockoff class and it felt very appropriate :v: I just have the Celestial/Infernal Thrones and The Abyss left. I like this update more and more as I play more of it and unlock all the new stuff. I'm already excited for the future major updates!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Gave Roboquest another try, took Elementalist to cheese Duke Nuker with the shock immunity perk and proceeded to not get anyhow for once :argh:

The expanded mobility options definitely make non-guardian classes a lot more tenable but I still find myself missing guardian. I find the other classes' special attacks awkward to use and largely redundant with regular weapons, just gimme the fuckin bubble.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A lot of them pop off if you invest in them, same as anything else really. But that said I've never really gotten into the flow of, say, pure rocket Commando or stupid one-shot gimmick Engineer scrap laser.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

schism is really neat

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Ranger's Javelin is absurd with the right perks, particularly the marking AoE on kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah Ranger is plenty good out of the box and then tends to get silly no matter because nearly every perk boosts javelins (or stealth) somehow.