Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also got the reminder this weekend that America is a broken country when my friends came over and explained how they're about to spend more in daycare than one of them collects in income to avoid having a gap on the resume.
Joe Biden owes me 600 bucks. Also the child tax credit. Those fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would like for the child tax credit to come back, it was nice to receive extra money in 2021

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lobster shirt posted:

i would like for the child tax credit to come back, it was nice to receive extra money in 2021

it still exists, we just aren't getting it early right?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sherbert Hoover posted:

it still exists, we just aren't getting it early right?

in 2021 they increased it in a number of ways (more money for younger kids, more money for older kids, an extra year of eligibility) and had it pay out monthly. but they didnt continue it so the tax credit is lower again and you only get it when you file your taxes. bad imo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

yeah they cut child poverty by 50% and then yelled "Sike!" and took it away lmao great country

My wife took our daughter to a classmate's birthday party over the weekend. Didn't know any of the other parents there yet, and don't think they really knew each other. Within 30 minutes it had devolved into ranting about there not being enough Christ in Christmas/their school singing the "wrong" Christmas songs, and then ranting about gender identity and their only being two true genders. What sort of psycho just starts ranting about this stuff in a group of strangers???

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

My wife took our daughter to a classmate's birthday party over the weekend. Didn't know any of the other parents there yet, and don't think they really knew each other. Within 30 minutes it had devolved into ranting about there not being enough Christ in Christmas/their school singing the "wrong" Christmas songs, and then ranting about gender identity and their only being two true genders. What sort of psycho just starts ranting about this stuff in a group of strangers???

I'd tell your daughter to rein it in or she doesn't get to attend any more birthday parties.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I welcome parental combat. I see it coming, I can just tell from the vibe and the atmosphere that some mommy facebook group poster is gonna pop off. All my phone posting is merely preparation for when I have to flame someone irl in front of my children and their children.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

brugroffil posted:

yeah they cut child poverty by 50% and then yelled "Sike!" and took it away lmao great country

I went to a Christmas party the other day and found myself saying "yeah people say I talk about 9/11 too much but whatever that's their problem."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd tell your daughter to rein it in or she doesn't get to attend any more birthday parties.

lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

brugroffil posted:

What sort of psycho just starts ranting about this stuff in a group of strangers???

People who've been conditioned to think Facebook conversations happen in real life and need to get their arguments out first before anyone else does, a kind of Bad Opinion First Strike Attack

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The kids and the parents all have to learn how to socialize. We all have our own rate of learning. God is working on all of us. But I'm about to give Him a 1 star review up on my next Nextdoor post about this bitch who lives at *actual real life address"

Highest stakes posting you can ever participate in.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Elissimpark posted:

We've found starting conversations or answering questions with the phrase "some people believe..." pretty effective, whether for religious stuff or for things like Santa. Framing things neutrally as narratives that people enjoy or find meaningful gives you plenty of space to discuss these kinda things.

This is what I hope to do for Santa. Hopefully her older cousins will be totally over it by then so I don't start a family civil war.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

KirbyKhan posted:

"Magick is real and your father is a warlock."

:stonk:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

My son was sick from October 1 until Thanksgiving. Finally got healthy, but a bad runny nose again tonight so I'm expecting another fun month

My kids get over the sicknesses after a few days or a week, I'm the only one sick for months somehow.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My partner is out of town and and my 12 year old has tutoring + 'young activists' youth group tonight. It's a lot if running around but i can swing it. Then my 9 year comes home and tells me she's performing in the school's Winter Concert tonight at 5 with the juniors then again at 630 with the seniors. I had zero idea this event was tonight.

:shepicide:

E: I'm not complaining mind you, this kind of super human 'be in two places at once' task makes me feel like a great dad when I pull it off

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Dec 12, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm also solo parenting while my partner is on an international work trip. I am so tired and I'm not even supporting children who do anything but play video games and eat bacon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We are two days from the caretaker solstice, where wife goes back to work and I become primary parent.
I should have lied about how much time off I had

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

We are two days from the caretaker solstice, where wife goes back to work and I become primary parent.
I should have lied about how much time off I had

I did this with our first kid and actually wholeheartedly recommend it, it's a great way to really force yourself to shift to full parenthood and connect with your baby

Is wife WFH? If not, how are you handling feeding?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

I did this with our first kid and actually wholeheartedly recommend it, it's a great way to really force yourself to shift to full parenthood and connect with your baby

Is wife WFH? If not, how are you handling feeding?
We're both WFH, right now baby is mine from 8-midnight where I put her down for the night and Mrs The Owls from then until I get off work where we share until 8. Grandma is here helping out 3 times a week, but I usually come upstairs and help her out throughout the day
But now I'm using all the PTO I deferred until Friday.
One wrinkle is that in winter I do most of the dog walking too because she doesn't like taking him out at night or the morning in the dark

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I wound up really liking being primary parent for my leave. We did the hand-off when my daughter was ~5 months adjusted.

It was intimidating at first figuring out how to spend a whole day entertaining, but once I figured things out and got into a routine it was fun. Lots of hikes and mall walks in the stroller. I pushed the baby led weaning a little more than I would have if my wife was hovering. Easily the best part of my 2023.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
baby led weaning ftw

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Infant loves eating everything I make her. Toddler refuses all cooked food and derives sustenance purely from goldfish crackers he finds in the couch cushion.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

Infant loves eating everything I make her. Toddler refuses all cooked food and derives sustenance purely from goldfish crackers he finds in the couch cushion.

that's perfectly normal, toddler may even refuse goldfish from the couch and only eat couch cheerios who knows!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, my 14 month old is transitioning from eating whatever the gently caress to being extremely picky. Yesterday he finally tried the boiled potato and spat it out. Salmon was no go, but white fish is very good so far. Bits of paper is still good.

Meanwhile the 6 year old is watching classic public service Christmas shows, this year the one where they go to Greenland (where Santa lives). The other day we noticed that they gutted and ate a seal, including making a remark about the amount of intestines. It was some good stuff about where food comes from really, but it wouldn't have been made today, and certainly not in the American imports.
I haven't actually paid close attention, so I don't know how well the Greenlandic culture bits hold up, but at least he's hearing the language.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My kid was showing signs off pickiness but we successfully warded it off with a strict policy of "you eat it or you get NOTHING" which has paid off handsomely as he now eats whatever we put in front of him.

So I can at least vouch for that strategy (although it does mean putting up with some lengthy tantrums)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

that's perfectly normal, toddler may even refuse goldfish from the couch and only eat couch cheerios who knows!

oh yeah good-eater-turned-picky-toddler loves couch snacks, also floor snacks

expensive berries are also a favorite. no, not the ones you bought, the other kind.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chad Sexington posted:

expensive berries are also a favorite. no, not the ones you bought, the other kind.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My kid was showing signs off pickiness but we successfully warded it off with a strict policy of "you eat it or you get NOTHING" which has paid off handsomely as he now eats whatever we put in front of him.

So I can at least vouch for that strategy (although it does mean putting up with some lengthy tantrums)

my daughter is impressively stubborn to the point of unbribeability (see also: efforts at potty-training), and if given this choice she will cheerfully choose nothing

she will later complain that she is hungry and then continue not eating whatever her dinner was when told it is her only option, and so on until bedtime

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yoooooooo, my ma gave me some fun money for the Christmas gifts for her grand kids. I was UNLEASHED. Consensus free shopping. Got the stupidest poo poo that was veto'd by wife and her parents when they gave went shopping for christmas.

Also Santa got me this

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Battery daddy owns and is a great dadly gift to go with all the toys needing batteries

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KirbyKhan posted:

Yoooooooo, my ma gave me some fun money for the Christmas gifts for her grand kids. I was UNLEASHED. Consensus free shopping. Got the stupidest poo poo that was veto'd by wife and her parents when they gave went shopping for christmas.

We had 80% of the toys in this cart, good choices.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If it doesn't charge the batteries what's the point?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

We have the Hanukkah and non-holiday-themed versions of the Christmas book in your lower corner. Decent baby books imo, nothing special but baby books usually aren't (exception: Sandra Boynton)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

If it doesn't charge the batteries what's the point?

It's a box to put all your batteries in a nice, organized location

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I also got her a pokemon plushie even if I'm a year too early but it's fine. It can just sit in the crib while the dog learns the difference between her toys and his.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter is inevitably gonna love Pokemon eventually. Maybe next year or so I'll let her take a swing at Let's Go Pikachu or something

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Battery Daddy sounds like some weird findom thing that I'd regret googling.

A box for your batteries though is very handy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

I also got her a pokemon plushie even if I'm a year too early but it's fine. It can just sit in the crib while the dog learns the difference between her toys and his.

Forget Elf on a Shelf.

I got a Pikachu that will Peek-at-you. He sits on top of the rice box.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

My daughter is inevitably gonna love Pokemon eventually. Maybe next year or so I'll let her take a swing at Let's Go Pikachu or something

Same, I'll clockwork orange my son with the Johto seasons if I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Me and Dog have accord. Wife and Dog less so.

I am vigilant and diligent about the dog sniffing at kids toys. I also kept toys outside of dog zone as a rule. I usually give dog some disposable chewy deal or gas station toy when I introduce toddler to soft fancy human toy. I let out the hard NO DROP IT if I ever saw dog with toy in mouth. So far I haven't had a broken stuffy and if mouth makes contact I just toss it in the laundry because it's not a big deal.

Wife is lax with access and containment. Dog knows but sometimes she spites either toddler or mom. Then Mom gets bent outta shape and goes all nihilist germaphobe saying "toy has to go it is gone forever" or "it belongs to dog now". It is a very annoying and unsustainable routine but it's too early for us too.