Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Thanks Ants posted:

Not sure you can do your own reverse DNS unless you have at least a /24 that can be delegated

It's annoying, but the answer is to put a NS record for each in-addr record pointing to customer's servers. It works but can break some rigid DNS authority checkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

unknown posted:

It's annoying, but the answer is to put a NS record for each in-addr record pointing to customer's servers. It works but can break some rigid DNS authority checkers.

Thank goodness for you networking nerds because that is one domain that I have zero knowledge in.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

unknown posted:

I thought it was usually done with CNAMEs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I am really glad I have some experience as a BIND 9 admin.

I am even more glad that DNS isn't my problem anymore.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I miss doing DNS, except for the occasional idiot customer who broke their DNS and wanted to blame me for it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Good: The phone software gives you the call from the salesman whose about to do something thats going to break everything
Better: You have a bunch of new people and they would have just gone ahead and helped break it if he got them
Amazing: Sales person actually listens to you when you tell them its going to break everything and they need to call back tomorrow to talk to the team that can actually do this without causing a huge disaster and yelling about how this has been done before and this needs to be done now.

Feels good man

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Wait… someone in sales… listened to what you said???

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Always be cistening

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Doing the IT equivalent of this because a user refuses to use the ticketing system or help line and keeps messaging me because their Teams "looks weird".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvzNSfZ6v8

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

So I have an interview coming up at a local MSP for a technical support position. I've read enough of this thread to know that MSP work isn't always the, uh, greatest quality of life depending on the shop. But it would definitely be better than my current job in terms of pay, and also be more exposure to new skills and learning than I get at work right now. I'm only a year and change into my IT career, fwiw. What are some things to be aware of during the interview process that can help me get a feel for what the shop is like? The posting doesn't mention on call work or how extensive travel would be, and I figure that's an important thing to know about before going in. Are there some other good questions to ask?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How often do we work overtime? What is the compensation for it?

Vacation days, pto accrual, sick leave.

How are teams laid out and how do they work together? What is chain of command?

What knowledge repository is used?

How is time logged?

What opportunities are there for self improvement and skill training? Assistance with certs?

Are there bonuses? Peer reviews? Periodic evaluations?

How do raises and promotions work?

What kind of clients and what kind of work for those clients? Any security clearances needed?

Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Find out as much about the work environment you can. They will learn a lot about you from what questions you ask.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

How is your performance measured.. Some places are about the number of tickets, some about billable hours, etc. Also, overtime rules and the like. (ie: looking for the "we assign you 40 tickets a day, that you must complete, if that takes you 10 hours, we're not paying more than 8".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something about the process of how projects are run would be good, do people just pick up tickets and go rogue or is there a customer requirement -> account manager -> tech presales -> solution design -> implementation -> handover type approach that is adhered to.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ask them if theyve ever fired a client before.

Ive gotten some really good responses with that and it can offer some insight into how difficult customers are handled and how they treat their internal staff.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ask about on-call requirements. Many poo poo msps are 24/7 small biz loving operations

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kibner posted:

Vacation days, pto accrual, sick leave.

Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Find out as much about the work environment you can. They will learn a lot about you from what questions you ask.

Ask how many vacation days the people you talk to actually (got to) use in a year.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

the customer is always Wrong

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

We've just been informed by facilities that all of the office copiers/scanners are being replaced. When, you ask? Tomorrow :shepicide:

Anyone know a good way to remove printers from devices org-wide?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
It only took a year and a half but I finally got the last user on MFA today. Not surprisingly two of the last ones were the CEOs.

^^ I’m updating all of our printers next week but we did some pre planning. I use printer logic so there’s absolutely nothing I need to do on the end user level. Good luck on that one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

johnny park posted:

We've just been informed by facilities that all of the office copiers/scanners are being replaced. When, you ask? Tomorrow :shepicide:

Anyone know a good way to remove printers from devices org-wide?

Be intensely relaxed about it, don't forget to deploy drivers and print queues to a pilot group to give you time to catch any problems. Maybe it will take until after Christmas to roll everything out to the entire company, oh well.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MSP guy, ask how much of your time needs to be billed to clients (and what the time increments are, per 5m, 15m, 30m or 1h)

If the anwser is “all of it” (and/or the increments are 5m) than gtfo.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I want to demo a shared-mailbox style support software for my company, something like GrooveHQ, Front, Enchant, Help Scout to name a few popular looking options. Has anyone used these products, are any good or trashy?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what do those products get you that an actual helpdesk product ( like freshdesk ) can't do

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

strangehamster posted:

I want to demo a shared-mailbox style support software for my company, something like GrooveHQ, Front, Enchant, Help Scout to name a few popular looking options. Has anyone used these products, are any good or trashy?

Oh yay I can rant about how bad Front is!

It's very bad and seems to try to make what boils down to Call Center Chat Support client be your all in one solution for...everything (E-mails, treating shared mailboxes as some different thing than e-mail for some reason, CRM, Help Desk, Web Chat interactions, slack/ms teams/other internal chat applications also being treated as different for some reason). It feels like pushing that interface as a solution for a lot of things it technically works for but isn't meant to be as the best way to do it. It might be great if your team works only out of it, but we have a collection of teams that's using it in place of...like all those other things and it makes everything so weird and awkward when you try to work with them outside of it, I can only imagine how it feels on the customer side.

If the main/only thing your company does is sales, and you need to stay on top of that, with light splashes of Help Desk support things coming in, it MIGHT be ok? But I feel like it's forcing everything into the same box when it really really really should not be there. A well setup CRM feels like it does all of this better and cheaper (with more upfront cost), while having better Data Policy (at least when I last looked at it). And having different things that are made to be good at each part vs one thing trying to get them integrated without really knowing what they are doing (they didn't support service now instances with service-now.com instead of servicenow.com as the URL, but service now didn't allow companies to get the nondashed address any more or maybe ever. Felt like someone just didn't bother to research before "supporting" the service).

minusX fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 11, 2023

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Everyone is using a shared mailbox system for sales and support, now there is too much volume to keep up, change is hard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Send support cases into an actual helpdesk, send sales queries into salesforce or some other CRM app. Maybe get some developer to help hook them both up to the same customer database.

A slightly nicer presented Outlook shared mailbox won’t solve your problems.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
i understand billing hours to clients and blah blah blah but is there such a thing as an MSP that doesn't do it like that

it's probably the thing i hated most about working (for a short time) at an MSP, worse than the lack of documentation and follow through with upgrading clients equipment because after doing all of that stressful garbage you have to describe and put in how much time you spent doing that stressful garbage

anyways those are all good questions and i wish you luck, might hit a good one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any place that doesn’t do that won’t be an MSP. The MSP playbook is to win business by undercutting every other quote (because the people hiring MSPs buy solely on price) and then getting the margin back to where they want it to be by trying to cross sell as many of their own preferred vendors into the client and religiously tracking time spent on support tickets so that everything is billed for.

If you want to flesh out a project and implement it, document it etc. then you probably want VAR work.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Send support cases into an actual helpdesk, send sales queries into salesforce or some other CRM app. Maybe get some developer to help hook them both up to the same customer database.

A slightly nicer presented Outlook shared mailbox won’t solve your problems.

What this guy said. Professional solutions net professional results. There will still be pain points but they should be internal (how do I) vs external (a shared mailbox with 200 people loving with it is unmanageable).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I worked at a small MSP that was flat fee and covered anything with a plug. The owner was adamant to only have clients of <25 because it gets really lovely real quick if you go beyond.

Ideally you fix up their environment enough where you’re only dealing with the occasional support ticket or onboarding request and for the most part just collect monthly.

We’d do project work but we definitely didn’t push things on them unless they really wanted it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I could think of no better description of hell.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Internet Explorer posted:

I could think of no better description of hell.

New thread title

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, the current one is too good

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i worked at an msp which was just the owner realising he didn't have enough to do at his current company, talking to the manager, and the manager going "well i have a couple of buddies who could use someone for their IT"

so he created the msp and basically got 75% of his clients through the old boys network

super chill environment, learned a lot, but the wage sucked

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

post hole digger posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but are these services actually pretty good? I have needed to tune up my resume and linkedin for a while, and it always feels like such a chore that I have a hard time getting started. I had never thought of using Fiverr for this before but at a quick glance, it seems pretty affordable.

Parahexavoctal is drat good at resume writing. He's helped me with my res and cover letter a few times over the years. He's not as cheap as a Fiverr rando but he's been a goon fixture for a long time for a reason.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Theres a standard template floating around from the original goon resume service and every time I see it in the wild I laugh a little.

I've got that very template from that very goon res service. Para's worked with it + me. It's served me quite well; I'm happy to share it since the original resume service has gone AWOL. PM me, I'll send you my res, you just basically edit to suit your needs and details.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Coworker forgot how to look at groups in O365 and threw me under the bus for forgetting to set up a new users to HR and the new person.

10 minutes later she realized it just hadn't loaded yet. No apology or telling the user everything was fine.

I take one day off for feeling like poo poo and she fucks up four easy tickets and throws me under the bus. Sure am glad she got promoted ahead of me, real manager material.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

Coworker forgot how to look at groups in O365 and threw me under the bus for forgetting to set up a new users to HR and the new person.

10 minutes later she realized it just hadn't loaded yet. No apology or telling the user everything was fine.

I take one day off for feeling like poo poo and she fucks up four easy tickets and throws me under the bus. Sure am glad she got promoted ahead of me, real manager material.

Unfortunately yeah, taking credit for success and knowing who and how you can throw others under the bus is management material.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Speaking of ticketing systems, we're looking to get off Salesforce Servicecloud. Which while I haven't used very many different systems, have a hard time believing is worth it. Does anybody have any recommendations for ticketing systems that are actually good? If such a thing could be said to exist.

I think the decision makers are looking at Teamdynamix, ServiceNow and the Atlassian one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot depends on the size of your organisation and how many teams you need to bring into the platform. I like Freshdesk and it gets talked about a lot here, but I've never seen it deployed to manage thousands of tickets per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

We use Freshservice and we're pretty happy with it. Their support is not amazing but we don't need them very often so it's fine. But yeah we get maybe ~25 tickets a day