Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aren’t those things 64-bit? I was having general trouble until I put the 64-bit version on there. I think, I may be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Inept posted:

Try imaging one of them with the 10-10 release and see if that works

https://downloads.raspberrypi.com/raspios_lite_armhf/images/

Thanks—I'll give this a try...

Bad Munki posted:

Aren’t those things 64-bit? I was having general trouble until I put the 64-bit version on there. I think, I may be misremembering.

Pi Zero 2 W is 64-bit; the OG Zero W is 32, according to the raspi site. :(

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Maybe try installing the desktop version--the installer should pop up a list of networks, so you can pick yours and sign in to it and it will hopefully handle anything like character escapes behind the scenes. If that does work, the config file should be in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/whatever.nmconnection , so you can hopefully use whatever info is there during a Lite installation or just leave that step out and then copy the entire file over once the setup is otherwise complete.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jeherrin posted:

Thanks—I'll give this a try...

Pi Zero 2 W is 64-bit; the OG Zero W is 32, according to the raspi site. :(

Oh okay, my mistake.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad SD card

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

coconono posted:

I had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad SD card

New thread title?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone know of speech recognition software which is light enough to run on a Pi 3 (512MB of memory)? I'm just looking to do a modest set of pre-programmed commands, with one of them being "ship whatever I say next up to a more advanced speech recognition API, if we have network".

I remember playing with a program called "cvoicecontrol" way back in like 2003, where you'd speak each command a few times and it did a surprisingly good job, but of course that software's been abandoned for like 15+ years.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone know of speech recognition software which is light enough to run on a Pi 3 (512MB of memory)?

Could Vosk work?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looks promising, I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My RPi4 homelab server is at 100% CPU again.

It's serving up gitea pages to some web crawler or something, and transcoding a DVD.

Sometimes I worry that I should have some overhead CPU left, but then I think, like, why? Other than using more electricity, and me getting my DVD transcoded a little sooner, there's no benefit to me. And I don't really need the DVD any earlier, I can wait.

In closing, it's a real nice computer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unused CPU is like unused RAM: wasted

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I happened to be at my local Microcenter a couple of days ago, and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a good selection of 5s and 4s and even one type of 3 in stock ready to buy.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Nature is healing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yeah we're pretty much all on pi's again

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

FISHMANPET posted:

I happened to be at my local Microcenter a couple of days ago, and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a good selection of 5s and 4s and even one type of 3 in stock ready to buy.

oh poo poo, I gotta swing through my microcenter and see if they have a 5 board in stock.

wanna get one of these too:

https://www.sunfounder.com/collections/robotics/products/piarm_robot_kit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cruft posted:

My RPi4 homelab server is at 100% CPU again.

It's serving up gitea pages to some web crawler or something, and transcoding a DVD.

Sometimes I worry that I should have some overhead CPU left, but then I think, like, why? Other than using more electricity, and me getting my DVD transcoded a little sooner, there's no benefit to me. And I don't really need the DVD any earlier, I can wait.

In closing, it's a real nice computer.

Are you using x264 or something else? I've found that x265 / x264 both perform like dogshit on ARM computers of any type, no matter how big or small. Are other encoders any better? Meanwhile, libvpx encodes VP9 impressively fast on ARM.

In AV1 land, SVT-AV1 is currently x86-focused too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you using x264 or something else? I've found that x265 / x264 both perform like dogshit on ARM computers of any type, no matter how big or small. Are other encoders any better? Meanwhile, libvpx encodes VP9 impressively fast on ARM.

h264. I played around with hardware encoding, but the settings to get decent quality made the files bigger than I wanted, so I just wait. It's not a big problem, I only need to do this every 2 months or so, and these small batch DVDs are typically such a frickin' mess anyway that half of the time is me figuring out how to work around the special mastering quirks unique to just this disc.

I think I'm done with the current one. It took me about 2 evenings to sort everything out, but now I have a nice h264 mkv with labeled chapters, and they all play in the right order, in case somebody decides they want to watch reference material for 2½ hours.

e: hm, it seems like VP9 in .webm might have pretty widespread support...

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 14, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I tested this on Tears of Steel at 1080p (actually 1920×800). This video is encoded with vp8 and vorbis.

code:
time ffmpeg -i tears_of_steel_1080p.webm -c:v libvpx-vp9 -c:a copy 'Tears of Steel (2012) {edition-vp9}.webm'
After a few minutes, the speed was 0.0854x. There are a few other things running on this box, but ffmpeg is taking about 200% CPU, which appears to be all it wants for this codec: the machine has around 15% idle state.

At the end, I got 361 frames transcoded in 4m5.504s

code:
time ffmpeg -i tears_of_steel_1080p.webm -c:a copy 'Tears of Steel (2012) {edition-h264}.mkv'
After a few minutes, the speed was 0.331x. Same load, more or less. ffmpeg was taking over 300% CPU: it looks like the h.264 encoder is better able to handle multiple cores.

At the end, I got 1457 frame transcoded in 3m21.265s

Is there some sort of quality setting you're using with vp9 to get it so it seems faster than h.264?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Currently setting up a project to do S3-local storage (Garage) and adding a USB drive to my RPi 400. I'm running Ubuntu on the RPi, and the drive currently has NTFS as I was using it on Windows. Should I swap the formatting for exFAT? Ext4? I think it'll stay connected to the RPi for the remainder of this project, but curious if there's a recommended format or if it's fine as is.

Update: Ended up with XFS based on seeing what Garage & Minio suggest, did it with this documentation.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 15, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Looks like I just lost / :(

I was considering switching from Ubuntu to Alpine anyway, because it was so difficult to prevent writes to /. Guess I'll go ahead and do that now.

I moved / off the MicroSD card to prevent this situation, but it looks like the MicroSD card outlived the USB drive I moved to. Laaaaaame.

What's the thread recommendation for rootfs media? I'll be using alpine in the read-only mode, so it shouldn't get too many writes...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorta raspberry pi related

Is there like, a good temperature sensor off the shelf? Doesn't need to be crazy accurate, within ~1.5F

I don't want to build an adafruit kit I just want to buy something off the shelf. Looks like some kind of USB dongle exists but I dunno if I can just query it or what. I want a prometheus scrape point for a temp sensor. That's it. As cheap as is reasonably possible because I want to buy like six of these

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Sorta raspberry pi related

Is there like, a good temperature sensor off the shelf? Doesn't need to be crazy accurate, within ~1.5F

I don't want to build an adafruit kit I just want to buy something off the shelf. Looks like some kind of USB dongle exists but I dunno if I can just query it or what. I want a prometheus scrape point for a temp sensor. That's it. As cheap as is reasonably possible because I want to buy like six of these

DHT11 or similar is cheap, small, and can be hooked directly up to a PI, as many of them as you have free GPIO pins probably. Not amazingly accurate and check the temp range specs. There are some other similar modules with better accuracy and range for a bit more.

Not sure if that is what you mean by off the shelf though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

DHT11 is poo poo, but a Pi has I2C and the SHT3x and SHT4x sensors are pretty good, also cheap as chips.

For off the shelf you can get wireless sensors on 433 / 868 MHz but you need to interface with the base station somehow to get the data.

I use ESPhome on NodeMCUs + SHT30 sensors in Home Assistant, very cheap and easy to set up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if you get a dht11, make sure it’s packaged for the pi because the signal has to be 3.3v or less. A 5v signal will fry it.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html

I have had luck with a pre-packaged ds18b20 that outputs a 3v signal via the 1wire protocol, that might fit your needs. Not sure about the accuracy, though.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Wibla posted:

I use ESPhome on NodeMCUs + SHT30 sensors in Home Assistant, very cheap and easy to set up.

For something like this that isn't a bunch of electronic kit, the Ecowitt (or other similar clones of whatever the original was) base station plus wireless thermometers is relatively cheap for something you just plug in and add batteries and it all just works over wifi.

Add the Home Assistant integration URL to the web interface and all your thermometers appear as entities updating constantly.

Figuring out ESPHome on those little boards is great fun and very very easy though.

Wibla posted:

DHT11 is poo poo, but a Pi has I2C and the SHT3x and SHT4x sensors are pretty good, also cheap as chips.

Upon further reflection on my experiences with DHT11s, this is correct, DHT11 is total poo poo and you should not ever use one with all the much better options available. There is a reason none of mine are in use anymore and they're all in the probably-useless parts bucket I never throw away.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 7, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

the probably-useless parts bucket I never throw away.

I have one of these too. The real kicker is when I actually use something from it once every three years or so.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I actually ran DHT11's in my HA setup up until yesterday... knowing full well they were bad.

Guess when I swapped in the SHT30 :haw:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cruft posted:

I have one of these too. The real kicker is when I actually use something from it once every three years or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fw7bZoPyVU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
edit: Yeah, basically this ^^^ :holy:

cruft posted:

Same :hfive:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, I'm running into an issue with my pi camera. I've confirmed its slotted into the CSI properly.

When I run
code:
raspistill -o image.jpg
the feed pops up on the screen and I get the screenshot, but when I run
code:
vcgencmd get_camera
, it gets me 0's across the board. So, it can use the camera but it can't detect it??? I check the /boot/config.txt file and the camera autodetect line is good. I set up a stream port, and the page loads properly but the feed as a "Unable to Open Video Device" error in the top left corner.

So, I'm kind of confuzzled.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Ok, I'm running into an issue with my pi camera. I've confirmed its slotted into the CSI properly.

When I run
code:
raspistill -o image.jpg
the feed pops up on the screen and I get the screenshot, but when I run
code:
vcgencmd get_camera
, it gets me 0's across the board. So, it can use the camera but it can't detect it??? I check the /boot/config.txt file and the camera autodetect line is good. I set up a stream port, and the page loads properly but the feed as a "Unable to Open Video Device" error in the top left corner.

So, I'm kind of confuzzled.

As I understand it,
code:
vcgencmd get_camera
is for the legacy camera interface, while raspistill uses the new libcamera interface. How did you set up the stream thing? If it's using v4l, I think you have to run the program using
code:
libcamerify
to make it work.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was utilizing this walkthrough: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-webcam-server/

Edit: So, I was able to detect the camera with
code:
libcamera-hello --list-cameras
and it pops out with
code:
0 : imx219 [3280x2464 10-bit RGGB] (/base/soc/i2c0mux-i2c@1/imx219@10)
then the various possible resolution/fps modes.

Edit 2: Ok, using
code:
sudo libcamerify motion
pops this error on the first line.
code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
All other loading processes appear fine until
code:
webu_start_strm: Unable to start stream for camera 0

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 16, 2024

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

I was utilizing this walkthrough: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-webcam-server/

Edit: So, I was able to detect the camera with
code:
libcamera-hello --list-cameras
and it pops out with
code:
0 : imx219 [3280x2464 10-bit RGGB] (/base/soc/i2c0mux-i2c@1/imx219@10)
then the various possible resolution/fps modes.

Edit 2: Ok, using
code:
sudo libcamerify motion
pops this error on the first line.
code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
All other loading processes appear fine until
code:
webu_start_strm: Unable to start stream for camera 0

this may sound annoying as heck but maybe try reinstalling with the 32-bit version of raspberry pi OS. This may be an issue with 64-bit only:

https://github.com/kbingham/libcamera/discussions/48

(I noticed you were running 64-bit due to the error/warning in ld_preload)

If you don’t mind, can you show us what you see if you type:

code:
ldd /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so
it might be that you need another library installed that wasn’t part of the package dependencies.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

sb hermit posted:

If you don’t mind, can you show us what you see if you type:

code:
ldd /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcamera/v4l2-compat.so
it might be that you need another library installed that wasn’t part of the package dependencies.

Yup. I got an error that the v4l2-compat.so file didn't exist.

I was able to find the solution, though. Motion/MotionPlus just straight up doesn't work with the new camera auto detect in Bullseye. You have to edit /boot/config.txt, removing the line "camera_auto_detect=1", and add "start_x=1" and "gpu_mem=128" , bypassing libcamera and reverting to the old camera stack.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do starting X and setting GPU memory have to do with capturing from the camera?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What do starting X and setting GPU memory have to do with capturing from the camera?

Raspberry Pi does all kinds of crazy crap from the GPU. IIRC, the GPU is what starts the bootloader.

(This may have nothing to do with your question, though)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm just happy I finished my first dumb RasPi project. I got a couple free Pi's and the 7" touchscreen w/ picamera from work.

And I turned it into a combined picture frame/security feed with VNC access.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Alright, well, ran into another snag. Running the camera stream appears to be giving me a memory leak because after about 45 minutes, the pi freezes. I need to fiddle with some settings. >_>

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Based on my recent experiences, betcha it filled the storage 100% with logs and then choked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You should probably be running log2ram out of the box to try and preserve your SD card as much as possible. Throwing on some decent log rotation would be the next thing to do.