Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

there are some coins on the free track of the battlepass, maybe 300 - 400 total i think?

Ah okay. That's something at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
if i can get to level 37 before the end of the season i'll be able to afford pants

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Thabk goodness I got the CB2 stuff. Now I got bright yellow baggy pants to get killed in.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the throwing knives skin that is a pair of playing cards is pretty sick

doubt ill make it that far through the pass tho. no way im buying that unless i already have enough fake money unlocked that it pays for itself

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's interesting, I can't think of the last time I played an FPS that didn't have some sort of holdout weapon alongside a primary. Even a terrible pistol. Here your secondary weapons are all the gadgets and grenades you have, but it is unusual to think "oh I'm actually out out of bullets til I reload".

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the throwing knives skin that is a pair of playing cards is pretty sick

doubt ill make it that far through the pass tho. no way im buying that unless i already have enough fake money unlocked that it pays for itself

The cosmetics in the battle pass are actually surprisingly good especially for the first battlepass. Whether you like BP is another thing all together but some of these rewards are sick as hell. I especialy like hte machine gun that is also a straight up roulette wheel or the sledgehammer which becomes a loving guitar lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah dress up is really on point in this game. Its funny to compare to other game cosmetics which often feel way less nifty.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's interesting, I can't think of the last time I played an FPS that didn't have some sort of holdout weapon alongside a primary. Even a terrible pistol. Here your secondary weapons are all the gadgets and grenades you have, but it is unusual to think "oh I'm actually out out of bullets til I reload".

it's really tightly balanced for the most part, i found a huge part of my early play was learning how to handle reloads in a way that doesn't get you killed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's really tightly balanced for the most part, i found a huge part of my early play was learning how to handle reloads in a way that doesn't get you killed

Yeah it's not a bad system and it certainly encourages use of the gadgets more than you would have in a normal shooter, I've just had "Switchin to your sidearm is fastah than reloadin'!" In 600 games so I empty my clip and go "oh gently caress that's right".

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's not a bad system and it certainly encourages use of the gadgets more than you would have in a normal shooter, I've just had "Switchin to your sidearm is fastah than reloadin'!" In 600 games so I empty my clip and go "oh gently caress that's right".

Embrace the fire grenade as a way to finish off someone who only has a speck of health left but you are out of ammo. A sort of grenade sidearm lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Look, its surprising how often people will just walk into a mine you plop down in panic when you run out of ammo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The amount of times I've panic switched to my healing beam during a 1-on-1 because I ran out of ammo and hit mashed Q thinking it's the 'last used weapon' button...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man it's a shame the BP is time limited, I might have purchased it otherwise. Can't do anything that makes me treat gaming like an obligation, tho.

Game is still good and they fixed the most egregious stuff from the beta, really enjoying it.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gotta get used to smacking ppl to finish them off when you run out of ammo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

gotta get used to smacking ppl to finish them off when you run out of ammo

For sure. I always forget this is even an option until I catch an elbow in the face. I really need to rebind it because V mid firefight is a bit awkward.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

explosivo posted:

For sure. I always forget this is even an option until I catch an elbow in the face. I really need to rebind it because V mid firefight is a bit awkward.

I just rebinded it to one of my thumb mouse buttons.

Also this probably is a good case for running a melee instead of a gun: no need to reload :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After going for a random "deal melee damage" challenge I'm now completely hammerbrained for the heavy. It's surprisingly capable in a stand-up fight because the damage is really chunky (one-hitting a light never gets old :laugh:), but more than that it gives you remarkable mobility for a heavy. You basically no longer have to care about map geometry at all, you can just go pretty much anywhere you want to in a straight line.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I wish there was a game mode where it was just who can destroy the most buildings and kill players strictly with environmental damage.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

6v6 hammers only

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had so much fun playing the Demolition game mode in Red Faction: Guerilla with my friends. I would love a destruction based game mode in this because it really is extremely cool to see a whole loving building collapse in front of you.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sledgehammer/shield/dome/rpg and you can run around reindhardt sledgehammering everything with tons of team utility and survivability

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sledgehammer is probably mostly a gimmick but maybe it's actually competitively viable in niche situations where you are assaulting a heavily set up point and you just need to cause maximum destruction to the environment and use utility to yoink at the last second

i've had situations where i have a great overlook on the point but the roofs and everything collapses all around the cashout and act as a giant protective shield making me unable to stop it

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Looking for more finals pals. Just a small server with a few folks https://discord.gg/f93TvRfs

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

with the sledgehammer is best to treat players like cash boxes

smack the floor out from under them and deliver them to your fun party house

protip use RMB when you wanna break walls n stuff. LMB isnt nearly as good at it.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Kwolok posted:

I'm thinking about making a discord group if there isn't one yet specifically for goon finals players.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll update this as we go but use this for now: https://discord.gg/URmbfDccAX

Quoting this so folks have one place to go to. I'm tired of getting stomped by 3-mans in casual so I'm more than ready to team up. There is absolutely SBMM in this game and I went basically the whole night only getting one win.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
there's an item for like 1150 store that gives you skins and stuff but also gives you back the same amount of multi bucks that it cost

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

be aware that when you group, the game very likely averages out the SBMM or goes with the SBMM of the highest rated player. this can be very frustrating for the lower rated player, even if they know what's going on. my advice would be to stick with your teammates if you're in an SBMM lobby higher than your rating.

I solo queued a bunch in quickplay and the sweaty SBMM led to a lot of good totally rando [mute] teammates using teamwork and utility. pretty good experience overall

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you can put a breaching charge on a canister then carry it with you for a airburst rocket launcher

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Triggs posted:

Quoting this so folks have one place to go to. I'm tired of getting stomped by 3-mans in casual so I'm more than ready to team up. There is absolutely SBMM in this game and I went basically the whole night only getting one win.

can the op edit this into the first post? or pick one of the existing discords to put in there

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Any Aussies playing on PC? My mates aren't into it and playing with randoms is tough.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

unfortunately it looks like they caved and unlike the beta they put in overtuned RAA with input strengths that I measured stronger than apex PC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefinals/comments/18dtlff/aim_assist_changes/

it'll be fun playing against mnk players for a while i guess until you hit a wall of RAA players

This is such a bummer. This game is really fun but I can already tell it's going to be pad dominated on PC in a couple months. The beta was perfect.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jenny Agutter posted:

can the op edit this into the first post? or pick one of the existing discords to put in there

Yeah trying to make it as useful for people to join and use as possible but we need more people and putting it in the OP would be a huge help. Much easier to find groups when there is a big group to ping.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

unfortunately it looks like they caved and unlike the beta they put in overtuned RAA with input strengths that I measured stronger than apex PC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefinals/comments/18dtlff/aim_assist_changes/

it'll be fun playing against mnk players for a while i guess until you hit a wall of RAA players

Maybe I'm just used to CoD gluing the ADS on target as much as it physically can, but this doesn't seem that bad to me. Yes it demonstrates that AA has an effect in a wide range around the target, but most of the time the aim was still way off target. It was only really bad when they were right up on the target and it was dragging the crosshair on target off the hip.

More my question would be how well it works at long range, but also how aggressive the recoil compensation is. A game like this with a fixed recoil pattern for each gun puts a lot into compensation for that pattern, and if the AA turns it into a laser that is an issue.

Jenny Agutter posted:

you can put a breaching charge on a canister then carry it with you for a airburst rocket launcher

You can do the same thing with a sentry gun if you want a pick up and go buddy. So long as no one shoots the canister.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 12, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why would you put it on the explosive thing and not a garbage can..?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

why would you put it on the explosive thing and not a garbage can..?

I didn't know you could pick up general level debris

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

More my question would be how well it works at long range, but also how aggressive the recoil compensation is.

I don't think there's any, or it's very weak if it's there. The guns in this feel like they kick all over the place compared to CoD and the like, and you definitely have to compensate with the right stick. Took me a bit to get used to after playing a lot of MW2, where you'd tune your guns to only have vertical recoil and then just hold down a touch on the stick to keep them perfectly on target.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't think there's any, or it's very weak if it's there. The guns in this feel like they kick all over the place compared to CoD and the like, and you definitely have to compensate with the right stick. Took me a bit to get used to after playing a lot of MW2, where you'd tune your guns to only have vertical recoil and then just hold down a touch on the stick to keep them perfectly on target.

Yeah that's generally how it works in games with fixed recoil patterns, all the guns are made of rear end and recoil but since the recoil is perfectly predictable you can manually compensate for it if you are good. I play on mouse so it's a matter of tracing the pattern each time you hold down the trigger, but I don't know how well that works on controller. Sounds like not super well.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The only real advantage in starting the box in cashout is getting to choose the vault location; which can pretty important if you or an enemy team has a preferred engagement range.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Played a couple rounds with friends last night, thankfully the guy in the group who hadn't played before and doesn't play a lot of competitive shooters got a game winning last minute steal and just started yelling I THINK I LIKE THE FINALS, BOYS! so that was fun. I went with the Heavy/Sledge for the first time and holy poo poo that is a good time in close range. Completely awful when you're caught in the open and you have no ranged options but when it's good it's real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The children yearn for Battlefield Bad Company 2