Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Busy Bee posted:

I'm starting to get my basic Shikoku itinerary set for March 2024 and it looks like this:

Day 1 to 3: Shimanami Bike Tour from Onomichi and ending in Matsuyama. Stay the night in Matsuyama
Day 4: Full day in Matsuyama
Day 5: Rent a car and drive to Kochi
Day 6: Full day in Kochi and explore Kochi and surrounding areas
Day 7: Leave Kochi to go to the Iya Valley, stay a night there
Day 8: Spend the day in Iya Valley, hike up Tsurugi, drive to Takamatsu in the evening
Day 9: Full day in Takamatsu
Day 10: Fly back to Tokyo from Takamatsu

Open for any suggestions and ideas! Also wondering if we should plan on two nights in Iya Valley and cut off a night in one of the cities.

I feel like a shikoku trip without a naoshima island visit is incomplete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

My brother is going to Japan soon and I’m looking for some gift ideas that would be helpful for him on his trip. Any ideas would be helpful.

Will he need a plug or power converter? (If he's traveling from the US, no.)
Otherwise, giving some cash in a fancy envelope never disappoints.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Riptor posted:

you do not need a flashlight to go to japan

what if it’s dark

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

what if it’s dark

If you're going hiking or backpacking somewhere specific, then maybe.

if you're going to stay in the cities, you don't need a drat flashlight.

if you somehow get to Japan and need a flashlight, it's still the third largest country in the world by GDP, we have flashlights here

peanut posted:

Will he need a plug or power converter? (If he's traveling from the US, no.)
Otherwise, giving some cash in a fancy envelope never disappoints.

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the more useful generic travel accessories I've had: https://nanobag.com/products/nanobag

My only recommendation is a bag/storage solution for chargers to keep in your backpack. And possibly a portable charging battery to help top up any phones or cameras that might need it while walking around. But otherwise, good walking shoes and some cash.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

+1 to cash being the best thing you can give.

I brought along a flashlight but that was because it had different colors and I wanted to use it for fill light in photos. So if that niche applies to you then sure I guess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Compression packing bags. There are a lot of cheapo ones on amazon which you should avoid. But the Eagle Creek ones are real good. They make packing so much better. You can fit so much more in less space.

These for socks, underwear and that sort of thing:
https://www.eaglecreek.com/products/pack-it-isolate-compression-cube-set-sm

And these for shirts and things you want to keep relatively flat:
https://www.eaglecreek.com/products/pack-it-reveal-garment-folder-l

E: Also, a smallish, 1 quart or so, toiletry bag is helpful. The good ones are fairly good at keeping any spilled liquids inside.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 10, 2023

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If he's gonna hitting the strong zero, get him a koozie. They don't sell those here, at least not the American style ones.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

It's great for when you drop something and it rolls under the airplane seat or bed. :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
99.99999% of phones have flashlights on them.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
My hotel room in Dormy Inn has a flashlight and I’m still puzzled why

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Explosive Tampons posted:

If the power goes out after an earthquake.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Please bring a wind up flashlight and water purification tablets.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

You should get your brother a small change purse or a wallet with one built in because compared to the U.S. You will use cash more frequently, and everything under 1000¥ is in coins do you end up with a lot of them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Explosive Tampons posted:

Emergency escape light.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Buy all these pointless items that have been suggested so far and also one of those utility belts that Batman wears to hold them all.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

If he's gonna hitting the strong zero, get him a koozie. They don't sell those here, at least not the American style ones.

Why would a Strong Zero be sticking around long enough to need a koozie?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Buy all these pointless items that have been suggested so far and also one of those utility belts that Batman wears to hold them all.

My suggestions weren't pointless. They are very helpful items for travel.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Fuuzoku gift card
全国共通風俗券

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gabriel Grub posted:

Why would a Strong Zero be sticking around long enough to need a koozie?

An amazing point.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

If the power goes out after an earthquake.

Dumb post, good point.
e: snip

Explosive Tampons fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 11, 2023

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Of course thank you goons for replying to all of my inane posts here, they helped a lot. That deserves a double post.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Comedy option but not really: just go to my local currency exchange place and get a wad of yen? I actually think I still have some coins from my last trip.

Any recommendations for a decent wallet change purse to put it in?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 10, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Riptor posted:

One of my all-time favorite funny study abroad memories was an American guy on our trip bringing an actual desk lamp with him to China because he wasn't sure if they were going to have lights.

He fobbed it off as a gift to one of the principals of the schools his group was visiting IIRC.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Comedy option but not really: just go to my local currency exchange place and get a wad of yen? I actually think I still have some coins from my last trip.

Any recommendations for a decent wallet change purse to put it in?

Compare their rate to what you can get from a bank and what you can get inside Japan, the little exchange booths in a lot of places around the world frequently have bad rates but it's very situational.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I wouldn't recommend yen. The rates at those booths in Ueno Station are better than you'll get anywhere else. I did some in the US my trip since the yen had bottomed out at 150 and I figured it'd go up by the time I traveled, which turned out to be true, but that's a gamble. If you're not interested in doing light currency speculation you're better off just using an ATM in Japan or exchanging there. Or if you really want to bring 2000 yen bills and confuse people.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

okay the flashlight post was one of the most unintentionally funny things I've seen, please make it the thread title

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Good Listener posted:

This might be a silly question but what are some good sites to look at to research places to visit? I know Japan-Guide is pretty good but a lot of these other sites feel like I'm reading the same travel blog over and over. Maybe that's just the way things are?
I quite like Atlas Obscura as it often has a lot of the weirder and less obvious stuff in there mixed with the big tourist attractions. https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/japan

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, one of the things I brought up a few weeks ago before my trip was worrying about how to maximize the exchange rate. After using my credit card a bunch in Japan and checking my statements (Chase Sapphire Reserve) it came like within 1-2% of the going rate. I'll worry less about that in the future then and just use my travel card whenever possible.

Although getting a bunch of cash is still useful for various things. Useful when you pass some stand selling a snack at 100 yen or any other cash only restaurant/venue. I ended up going to my bank to get it and they gave me pretty close to the rate too (like 3% difference)

Although I'm pretty sure the majority of the cash I did end up spending was in the arcade lol

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Appreciate the suggestions, I'll have to check the sites out and look into some potential youtubers~

Also yea is it better to use card or cash while you're there?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Card when possible, cash when not.
You don't get to choose, it depends on the store.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Btw if you're feeling fancy then https://deeperjapan.com/ is legit. They have connections to see stuff that even native residents have never seen.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Good Listener posted:

Appreciate the suggestions, I'll have to check the sites out and look into some potential youtubers~

Also yea is it better to use card or cash while you're there?

More and more places take card, so it's not like the stories from 10 or 20 years ago. But you should try to always have some amount of cash on you.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I've been loading up that Wise card I got here and there for prep so I can atleast use it at an ATM and it's got the yens already there for me. Good to know though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Thinking about it, I'm sort of surprised that Suica cards aren't used for money laundering

They're essentially a debit card that you don't need a bank account or any financial regulation hoops to get

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cards are waaaaaaay more accepted now than even a few years ago but you always want to have cash. Still plenty of cash-only places.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Grand Fromage posted:

Cards are waaaaaaay more accepted now than even a few years ago but you always want to have cash. Still plenty of cash-only places.

I was visiting in August, and I would just pull out like 20,000 yen at a time. Card worked pretty often in Tokyo and Kyoto, but still used more cash then I ever do in the US.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

deong posted:

I was visiting in August, and I would just pull out like 20,000 yen at a time. Card worked pretty often in Tokyo and Kyoto, but still used more cash then I ever do in the US.

Yeah I usually have 20-30 on me at any given time and just assume anywhere I go is not going to accept cards. Not like you're going to get mugged.

I know a dumbass who acts like he has an allergy to cash and refuses to carry it, ever, for any reason, and he goes to Japan then complains about how hard it is to pay for things and all the restaurants he can't go to. Don't be that guy.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If you take out too much cash you can always use it in place of a card too. You find everywhere accepts cash, and you will rarely run into card only places. I think maybe 1 or 2 in my 2 months there.

BTW Schwab did refund my ATM feee, it was just so small after the exchange rate I barely noticed it lol.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I was having issues with my cards when I went last summer and was even able to pay for a rental car in cash.

I was both surprised and not surprised that it was OK, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

If I recall correctly, Japan has the same rules as the US and most modern countries, which is that legal cash tender is required to be accepted as a way to pay for things no matter if you have a card or not.