Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

For sure, but I think you can lose due to terrain with almost any system for setting up. I played an intro game of a historical not long ago where the host set everything up, my assumption was it would be balanced, but I ended up needing to attack across a huge open field towards fortified objectives. Needless to say, I lost badly. I don't think the map was terribly unbalanced, but once my main objective went down and sides were determined I was beyond hosed. Had I blundered setting up terrain myself the loss would likely feel better.

The problem is that when you gamify it and make it oppositional, you put the more-skilled player in a position of leveraging their skill to win. Saying "hey, this table is a clusterfuck, I am going to murder you T1" feels more like a handicap (and can be a social faux pas because maybe your opponent wants it like that for galaxy brain reasons).

I like player-placed for try-harding, but GW or WTC is much fairer and nicer for mixed-skill friendly play imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm surprised they haven't released a big pdf of 100 table layouts with lore and all the correct GamesWorkshop Brand terrain models to plop down onto it. Or like, publish a table layout per white dwarf magazine or something like that. Theres a ton of easy and fun ways to do that. Have any fans done that idea yet?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

The problem is that when you gamify it and make it oppositional, you put the more-skilled player in a position of leveraging their skill to win. Saying "hey, this table is a clusterfuck, I am going to murder you T1" feels more like a handicap (and can be a social faux pas because maybe your opponent wants it like that for galaxy brain reasons).

I like player-placed for try-harding, but GW or WTC is much fairer and nicer for mixed-skill friendly play imo.

I guess it also depends on who you play with. With my regular opponents we definitely approach with an oppositional outlook, but we also often place things because it creates something interesting or provides a unique challenge. We also would adjust things if the table is bad. There is a competitive element, but we are also making sure everyone has a good time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wrr posted:

I'm surprised they haven't released a big pdf of 100 table layouts with lore and all the correct GamesWorkshop Brand terrain models to plop down onto it. Or like, publish a table layout per white dwarf magazine or something like that. Theres a ton of easy and fun ways to do that. Have any fans done that idea yet?

GW did that for 9th edition; it was called Tactical Deployment. Nobody used it because both players had to supply their own GW terrain and gently caress to that.

There are official GW terrain layouts for 10th but they aren't precisely measured, nor do they have specific terrain shapes you need. This was (I think) because Kill Team had very precisely measured table layouts for Into The Dark, their season of close-quarters missions, and it got to the point where players were memorizing specific ranges, distances, lines of sight, etc. and weren't happy with how predictable and deterministic things could be.

That said, WTC, one of the biggest 40K tourney circuits, has their own terrain maps, with precise measurements and standardized terrain pieces. You can buy WTC terrain sets from lots of third party makers now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

oh that is all super handy!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
btw both GW and WTC layouts are on tabletop battles, which is just handy in general

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Didn't want to paint anymore, ended up gluing the Rogal Dorn turret instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I ran out of tiny tanks to paint, now I have to go back to painting figures again.
Which is slightly dull I'll admit.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I had fun with the first ten, but painting the 31st same imperial guard uniform and I'm done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's why you find other things to paint in between, to break things up.

Meanwhile, all I have is figures and not much else. Which is why painting epic scaled tanks has suddenly gotten a firm hold on me.
It's either painting all the various models I've picked up over the years, or paint Marines.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I did get a box of custodian wardens for that, but I've been putting those off too.

I went out and got some rustoleum primer today though, so one will be ready to start tomorrow. Now I just need to get some purple paint, or mix my own.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Honestly the process of planning out efficient batch painting steps really helps with the monotony.

I'll paint one thing over an entire squad/s, take a break, and then come at the next step refreshed, take another break, etc. Completing individual steps in such a way rewards one with a lot of little victories and helps curb burnout imo.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Agreed, but I'm also stuck on the last dregs of stuff I didn't want to paint.

Like the Cadian command squad with a ton of extra detail on each one of them, the field ordnance crew which is also different but also had a bunch of quality control issues with my sprue, and stuff like that.

Edit: my table has been looking like this for the past three or four days.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 12, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lostconfused posted:

Agreed, but I'm also stuck on the last dregs of stuff I didn't want to paint.

Sounds likes you need to buy more minis to have something to paint in between the things you want to paint :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well I was looking at those chaos warriors from the fantasy games.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Super Waffle posted:

Sounds likes you need to buy more minis

Discussion > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40k 10th Ed: Sounds likes you need to buy more minis

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Over the past month or so I've painted like 80 minis or something ridiculous and I think it's due to just leaning into my ADHD and not trying to make myself do anything like one squad or one force or anything.

The method has been to just put like 30-50 uncompleted minis on my tray (all of it primed). It's usually a mixture from like two or three armies. I start by batch painting this or that--armor base color, leather, metal, what-have-you. Eventually hyperfocus takes over and I start working intently on two-to-three guys and I usually have like six done by the end of the night, with the added bonus of having like 40 more another step or two closer to finished. It's been kind of great.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nice.

I think this chat helped me to work though the realization that it wasn't me not wanting to paint, but me not wanting to paint those particular minis.

I have the box of custodes, kasrkin, and heavy weapons team that I'm going to start working on later today, and see how that goes.

If worst comes to worst, I might really end up buying those chaos warriors.

Edit: Although i'm defo not doing it in batches of 50. I'm still learning and experimenting and will limit it to batches of 10-20 depending on box and squad size.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 12, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone else here get premium Warhammer Fest tickets that came with a promised 10E codex code? I was supposed to get one for Necrons the day it went on sale, but haven't received anything.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Batch painting can have a very calming effect. I start with the biggest surface and move down, focusing on stuff that share wash colors. For things that don’t fit at all/ are difficult to paint, like heads, I use sub assembly.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
My closest to successful technique (I've still only fully painted 50-ish models this year) is to take out a manageable batch (typically 5-10) models and put them out on the desk. I'm much more likely to actually sit down and start, which is the hard bit, if they are staring at me accusingly.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I put a similar amount on the right side of my desk and move them to the left as I complete them. I need to see the progress.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yesterday I've had everything out and ready to go, I even put a bit of paint on one of the miniatures. But then I wasn't happy with how it looked, and I ended up putting everything away, I was very done with them at that point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah painting anything else should help. Have you painted the actual field ordinance guns? Maybe go back and sub assemble the variants (heavy las cannon etc) and paint those so they're available.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Man, the new Warhammer.com site is…not very good. It took me a minute to find the shop button, which isn’t in the navbar at the top for some reason, and then it takes four separate clicks to get to a range of models. Shop > warhammer 40K > space marines > black templars for example.

Once you’re there you can’t filter by any meaningful options. I can’t filter by vehicles, for example. I can search by name, but if I don’t know the name of the exact thing I’m searching for I have to scroll through all of the minis in that range until I find the one I want.

The only filters are: format (books and cards), material (plastic, resin, etc), and sub faction. I can’t filter by unique characters, or flying units, or monsters, or anything else!

As a software developer who works on exactly this kind of stuff, this is pretty bad. Not surprising coming from GW. It feels like a massive step backward from the previous iteration of the site.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I Google something I want it takes me to the site with the item, then asks me to confirm I want to shop on the Canadian site, then it takes me to the homepage with the guy wearing the Dad Sweater.

Thanks, very easy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
People buy straight from GW instead of using that 15% LGS discount?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's handy to see the HM paint schemes mainly

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have never seen an LGS with this mythical discount, but then, Chicago really only has the one LGS.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

it's handy to see the HM paint schemes mainly

It was also good to see a 360 of the minis and even pictures of the sprue to if you wanted to plan conversions

The previous iteration of the site was really handy even if you bought the products elsewhere

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

rantmo posted:

I have never seen an LGS with this mythical discount, but then, Chicago really only has the one LGS.

All my LGS seem to have this discount for stuff they already have in stock, like $60 squads will be $50. But not for stuff they have to order for you

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

My lgs offers a 4% discount but I think that’s just because they are behind on GW’s price increases

Edit: Can someone give me the tldr on the Farsight Enclaves, including conspiracy theories?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My FLGS has a 10% discount, but also there are plenty of people for whom the closest thing they have to a FLGS is an official store.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

factoring in the transport cost of getting to and from a store (and I think the only real wargaming hobby store in London is Dark Sphere) I might as well just order direct from GW

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There are plenty of LGS that have online Shopify stores that will gladly give you 15% off and free shipping on orders over $150 or whatever

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

factoring in the transport cost of getting to and from a store (and I think the only real wargaming hobby store in London is Dark Sphere) I might as well just order direct from GW

The UK has a Element Games and a ton of other stores that carry like everything for discount tho?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My LGS has a punch card, you get a punch for every $10 spent, and after 10, you get $10 off (and they stack).

It's not a great discount as far as GW stuff goes, but it applies to everything in the shop.

Also I'd rather give them a little extra so I have an LGS, living in the middle of nowhere like I do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's also a lot of games stores (at least in the US) that have web stores or sell through eBay at pretty decent prices.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think my LGS offered like 10% off if you ordered from GW via them, but dropped that a couple of years back for unknown reasons that may either because of them or GW.

On the other hand they didn't increase the paint prices like other third party stores had to do, on the other hand they had to cut out a "Buy 5 pay for 4" deal to make it work sadly.

But at the same time, I can order from GW via them and not pay shipping so a net win I'd say.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

The places around me only have new releases in stock if anything and nothing like Kasrkin, every store owner I talked to complained about not being able to get stuff from GW and how miserly their allotments are.

The only place I found that has a selection comparable to the official store is operating out of a google docs spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm lucky enough to have 2 LGSs 10 minutes from my house. One is more tabletop minis oriented and just straight up gives like 10-15% off everything across the board but the other one (more comics and MtG but with a lot of GW stuff) has one of those "club cards" where you pay like $20 a year and get (I think) 15% off GW stuff. I've been going there since the early 90s and play D&D with the manager, so they just always assume I'm in "the club." I'm still stacking vouchers from WH+ though but can't ever decide what to spend them on.