Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant all of the shares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

My last place gave full-time employees* stock rewards once a year...but you had to wait 3 years for them to mature, so you'd see that money sitting in your Fidelity account for that maximum and continuous sunk-cost leverage. I quit like a month before one of them would have matured and HR told me "yeah we've never had this many people quit this late in the year and leave that money on the table" and I responded "well maybe you shouldn't have returned to the office after we all had our two most profitable years while working 100% from home, or you should lift the Covid hiring freeze since Covid is over and we're back in the office and our business grew while we keep losing experienced employees". poo poo I love exit interviews.

*Nobody there (or anywhere it seems) has been hired direct for a while, instead they do the same job but as a contractor for like 2 years minimum, missing out on those stock rewards, 401k, better insurance, pension plan earnings, etc. So all the new hires resent the older employees and the bosses and the company as a whole for getting at least 2 more years of all those benefits just cause they were hired earlier. I knew a manager who said he prefers to hire contractors or as he glumly put it "I like to try before I buy" and I asked if he ever "didn't buy" (if he ever had a contractor not work out) and he said no, then I asked if he would have accepted his job if he started as a contractor and he said no. Then he started talking about his Tesla so I left.

drat that's an informative and horrifying video.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

business shmizness I’m just excited for this *squints* uhh late 2000s Ubisoft game?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Dance McPants posted:

drat that's an informative and horrifying video.

I had to skip around a lot to get his point but I am AuDHD. So what I basically took away is that he should have written an article instead of making a lovely youtube vid. The content was just lost on me. I hope he likes the .00000001 cent he earned from me trying to watch.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I hate youtubes that take something you could read about in 30 seconds and then they stretch it to 30 minutes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

I hate youtubes that take something you could read about in 30 seconds and then they stretch it to 30 minutes.
unfortunately that's how they get paid

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Desert Bus posted:

I had to skip around a lot to get his point but I am AuDHD.
I didn't realize Trump was a Goa'uld but it tracks.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

FFT posted:

I didn't realize Trump was a Goa'uld but it tracks.

Normally I'd just roll with the punches but I don't get this joke and a Trump Goa'uld is seemly funny but I'm gonna have to ask you to explain. I'm missing something here like normie humans miss having a worm in their belly.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Trump def has worms of some variety, intergalactic or not.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

I guess you could read the wikipedia entries for Theranos, Zappos, Jim Jones, Philip Zimbardo, Amanda Montell, Raelism, Heaven's Gate, France Telecom, and Foxconn and get almost all the same info but without the commentary and connections between start-ups and cults.

I also really hate Youtubes that will just straight up read an article or book at you with some still images and slow zooms and panning effects to disguise what they're doing, but I felt this video did a good job of bringing up nuanced points and comparisons between the examples. Hearing Elizabeth Holmes call the employees who left "dead" because they chose to leave a job making the world a better place was pretty chilling, so was seeing the similar means corporations and cults use to control their members.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

meme tax:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dance McPants posted:

I guess you could read the wikipedia entries for Theranos, Zappos, Jim Jones, Philip Zimbardo, Amanda Montell, Raelism, Heaven's Gate, France Telecom, and Foxconn and get almost all the same info but without the commentary and connections between start-ups and cults.

I also really hate Youtubes that will just straight up read an article or book at you with some still images and slow zooms and panning effects to disguise what they're doing, but I felt this video did a good job of bringing up nuanced points and comparisons between the examples. Hearing Elizabeth Holmes call the employees who left "dead" because they chose to leave a job making the world a better place was pretty chilling, so was seeing the similar means corporations and cults use to control their members.

I appreciate that you can get something from it but it is just not a format that works with my dumb brain.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Desert Bus posted:

Normally I'd just roll with the punches but I don't get this joke and a Trump Goa'uld is seemly funny but I'm gonna have to ask you to explain. I'm missing something here like normie humans miss having a worm in their belly.
Au: Gold
DHD: Dial Home Device

Trump would 100% have a gold-plated DHD, QED

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'll assume that's funny if you have seen a stargate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mystes posted:

I'll assume that's funny if you have seen a stargate

I got it and it is.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

FFT posted:

Au: Gold
DHD: Dial Home Device

Trump would 100% have a gold-plated DHD, QED

ahahaha nice thanks!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

mystes posted:

unfortunately that's how they get paid

But I don't want them to get paid

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

But I don't want them to get paid
well then get a job as a content moderator for google I guess

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:hai:

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Dance McPants posted:

Yes. That sounds infinitely preferable to a 30 minute youtube video.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Unironically

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Was it not clear that I meant it unironically? I did.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I unironically neither know nor care who is being ironic right now

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Ironic opinions, non-ironic opinions, whatever. Math is the only place where you can find cold, hard reality.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Wanna hear the band rocking hard enough to have a pit, but still playing an upright :rock:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

If this isn't the catalyst i need to throw together an Emmet Slaughter Christmas EP, i don't know what would be.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Merkin Muffley posted:

If this isn't the catalyst i need to throw together an Emmet Slaughter Christmas EP, i don't know what would be.

Why bother when the River Bottom Nightmare Band already exists?

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Aperture Priority posted:

Why bother when the River Bottom Nightmare Band already exists?

Cuz they’re like pysch-rock and nobody is gonna die in that pit. We’ll call the pit The Washtub cuz there aint no hole and you can never escape.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TremorX posted:

FTA: "I always say that therapists belong in the C-suite," Shaich wrote in his book, "Know What Matters: Lessons from a Lifetime of Transformations."

Because they can afford it thanks to screwing over their labor who need it more and can't. Maybe the "C-suite" are the useless loving leeches here.

"So much of what running a business is about is figuring out 'how do I connect with people?'" Shaich told BI. "What motivates them, and how do I help them decide to affiliate with what the mission of the enterprise is?"

Jesus loving Christ. NOBODY wants to be told that their time away from family and the physical and mental pain they put up with daily are only to make *a faceless, nameless group of people richer* and not themselves, so you have to spice it up with bullshit like "wE'rE cHaNgInG tHe WoRlD!1!!"

And we're right back to corpos as cults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2gg4_4GIEg

I get this warning on the thumbnail for some reason (edit: now watching the vid I understand why):

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Fried Watermelon posted:

I get this warning on the thumbnail for some reason (edit: now watching the vid I understand why):

Yeah, it mentions suicide and the larger automated internet now freaks the hell out whenever it catches whiff of the word for what I assume are probably liability reasons.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mystes posted:

I unironically neither know nor care who is being ironic right now

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Takes No Damage posted:

Wanna hear the band rocking hard enough to have a pit, but still playing an upright :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVtD4qMy5Hc

Not bass but so much upright action right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKXeDGIwYI

Bald Stalin has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Dec 12, 2023

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Merkin Muffley posted:

Hell, there's still three days left before the Awful Xmas Music deadline

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dance McPants posted:

Even "worker-owned co-operatives" like REI can and do gently caress over their employees with poo poo wages and benefits, and I bet just one of those vest-wearing grunts selling $200 pants and $600 coats makes more profit for the company than whatever the guys in suits do.

that's because it's actually a consumers' co-operative not workers' co-operative lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That just sounds like stockholders with extra (fewer?) steps

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes:

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Easy answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3iGpDqQpQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

That just sounds like stockholders with extra (fewer?) steps

More steps and shittier than stocks but, and this is critical, it sounds like a workers coop.

Basically by buying poo poo you become a member and then get a dividend back at the end of the year based on the companies profit which is when they then immediately run a sale to get you to give them that back. They have recently iirc changed this for the worse to make it more irritating to get it as cash from them.