Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

the_steve posted:

Doesn't change the fact that he said it, in a room full of people including congresspersons, who were there specifically to see him speak, unless someone wants to tell me exactly how far the goalposts plan on being moved on this whole counterargument that fascism stopped existing after WW2 and didn't start again until Trump took office.

That’s a massive exaggeration of what anyone has said. And fascism like most things exists on a spectrum. Was Bush more fascist than Jimmy Carter? Sure. But I think the gap between Trump and Bush is bigger than the gap between Bush and Carter.

I don’t think Bush was dictatorial. I don’t think he tried to suppress the opposition, militarily or judicially. He willingly gave up power at the end of his term. I don’t see how someone for whom those things are true can be called a capital F Fascist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Any given politician was probably being referred to as a fascist by someone at any given time. There was no general sentiment that Bush was an actual fascist posing an actual threat of fascist takeover, even if there were segments of the population that completely hated him and even if he was actually horrible for many other reasons.

There was a critcism at the time that the Republican party as a whole was moving in the direction of fascism, both rhetorically and structurally, and I think that has obviously born out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i want to agree. but I could see paxton being a dumb enough rear end in a top hat and thinking him being untouchable in texas means he can do what he wants. and i could see her being arrested on some bullshit mistomener charge based on some bi-line crap. I dont think they will imprison her but who knows.

There is no Texas law saying that what she did is illegal*. If he arrests her for this he won't be able to hold her for very long and then she will sue the state with a very strong case backed by the ACLU and other powerful friends. It's exactly the sort of precedent his side doesn't want

*for now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Edge & Christian posted:

I assume the difference is less the fanciness and more the size of the chain; Macy's has over 500 stores, while Nordstrom has roughly 100 actual department stores (and several hundred Rack stores, which are just clothing stores). There are other surviving department store chains, and some of them are still close to the size of Macy's (JCPenny has 500+ stores, Dillard's has 285) so "the last department store" is overstating it. Even Sears still has a dozen stores. Macy's was, perhaps, the last one to not have big contractions/bankruptcies/selloff/etc.

Yeah, I meant "Last nationwide department store to not declare bankruptcy" and not literally the last one in existence.

I'm surprised that Dillard's still has three figure locations.

Although, most of the remaining JCPenny and Dillard's locations look to be in malls - which are themselves living on borrowed time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1734247930087845966

This'll probably be the final nail in the coffin for her with the political left, or what's left of it anyway.

quote:

During the 2020 primary, the New York congresswoman publicly acknowledged some of those concerns, even as she told the hosts of "The View" that Sanders "works very hard" to handle the issue.

But according to reporting in Ryan Grim's "The Squad: AOC and the Hope of a Political Revolution," the New York congresswoman thought the idea had a lot of merit — and that it was hurting Sanders' prospects.

"Bernie's supporters have been very, very damaging to him, and it's really frustrating to see and experience. They don't realize how influential they are. It's frustrating to feel like they are hurting him," Ocasio-Cortez said in the midst of the 2020 primary, according to the book. "I feel like Warren is scooping up LGBT, progressives, women, and progressives of color because of how they isolate."

She also worried that the behavior of Sanders's supporters were "forcing an unnecessary choice between class analysis and race analysis" through their "behavior, not so much policy."

Ocasio-Cortez made those comments as she mulled whether to endorse Sanders's 2020 campaign, even though she had worked as an organizer on his 2016 campaign.

quote:

The congresswoman later said it was "not smart" for the Sanders campaign to publicize what appeared to be an endorsement from controversial podcaster Joe Rogan, saying that Rogan "alienates so many people and platforms alt right figures."

She added that the campaign was "signing up for an insane amount of blowback" for the decision and that Twitter was "probably the worse place to amplify" the endorsement.

But Ocasio-Cortez's concerns about certain elements on the left didn't end with Sanders's campaign. They also extended to what she saw as singling out of "The Squad" — a group originally made up of Ocasio-Cortez and Reps. Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley — by elements of the left.

In late 2020, left-wing activists pushed House progressives to "force the vote" on Medicare for All, and her second term in Congress was marred by accusations on the left that she was a sellout who prioritized consensus-building and institutionalism over her progressive values — even as Sanders conducted himself in a similar manner in the Senate.

"I was most depressed at the time by the misogyny I saw within the left and how differently [the Squad was] treated," she said, according to the book.

I would draw a distinction between your average Bernie supporter and the Jimmy Dore FTV "left". I think Sanders had a lot of problems in 2020, and chief among them was that he respects and likes Joe Biden and wasn't willing to go after him like he did Hillary.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That’s a massive exaggeration of what anyone has said. And fascism like most things exists on a spectrum. Was Bush more fascist than Jimmy Carter? Sure. But I think the gap between Trump and Bush is bigger than the gap between Bush and Carter.

I don’t think Bush was dictatorial. I don’t think he tried to suppress the opposition, militarily or judicially. He willingly gave up power at the end of his term. I don’t see how someone for whom those things are true can be called a capital F Fascist.

Whether he was or wasn't a textbook fascist isn't the point I've been trying to argue, just that the accusations were there and that it isn't some accusation unique to Trump.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

the_steve posted:

Whether he was or wasn't a textbook fascist isn't the point I've been trying to argue, just that the accusations were there and that it isn't some accusation unique to Trump.

You can find accusations that any American President was fascist though, in recent history at least. It’s a word people like to throw at people they don’t like. It just also happens to be true for Trump.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, I meant "Last nationwide department store to not declare bankruptcy" and not literally the last one in existence.

I'm surprised that Dillard's still has three figure locations.

Although, most of the remaining JCPenny and Dillard's locations look to be in malls - which are themselves living on borrowed time.

Are they though? The two malls closest to me are still chock full of stores and people. The unrelenting attack on any space that a teenager can occupy for free or even low cost (I just paid $60!?!? to bowl for an hour) seems to have inspired a new generation of mallrats from what I’ve seen. Many have died off for sure from the peak but I don’t think malls are going anywhere.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

You can find accusations that any American President was fascist though, in recent history at least. It’s a word people like to throw at people they don’t like. It just also happens to be true for Trump.

Are they though? The two malls closest to me are still chock full of stores and people. The unrelenting attack on any space that a teenager can occupy for free or even low cost (I just paid $60!?!? to bowl for an hour) seems to have inspired a new generation of mallrats from what I’ve seen. Many have died off for sure from the peak but I don’t think malls are going anywhere.

Those teenaged mallrats aren't spending lots of money at Macy's or Nordstrom.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

Is The Bush Administration Fascist?
A think piece from 2010 that does a "Well, actually..." that Dubya was an authoritarian instead, but I cite it because it's responding to the fact that people called him fascist while he was in office, which is my core point.
I know the conversation has strayed a little bit form where it was when I last chimed in... but your point that "some people wrote think pieces calling him a fascist" is some pretty weak sauce. I had made a post disputing "every election is a referendum on fascism" in which I acknowledged that people called Bush (and Clinton, and Obama, and...) a fascist. Because obviously they do. They have on this website. There are people on this website who claimed both candidates were fascist in each of the last two elections.

I'm not really here to talk about empty, half-considered insults people throw out during campaigns. Trump is different in that he is fascist, in the most absolute definitive by-the-book way you can fit a somewhat imprecise label like "fascist." It is a widespread view that he is a fascist, not something restricted to activists and the party base, and he is being described in mainstream circles as such.

The overall point is that, although THIS election is, no, not every election is a gun being held to your head telling you democracy will end if you lose. Yes, some people will treat every election like that, and have invoked the idea when it was dubiously true. That doesn't mean fascism isn't an actual threat. It also doesn't mean that the only thing we can ever hope to accomplish through elections is defeating fascism. After all, we aren't electing Mitt Romney as the alternative to Trump, we are electing a liberal Democrat. There are good things about that besides the preservation of democracy.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 11, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tayter Swift posted:

Those teenaged mallrats aren't spending lots of money at Macy's or Nordstrom.

Oh yeah department stores are, I think, on their way out. Just not malls.

I actually went in a Macys last weekend for my kids to try to find stuff for their mom for Christmas and it might be the last time I go in one. If you want clothes they’ll be better and at worst the same price at a clothing store. Same for cookware, electronics, etc. About the only thing they were good for, weirdly enough, was toys since they had a toys r us section, but even that was no better than Target’s selection and the prices weren’t any better either.

Edit: the mall back where I grew up, which is also doing well, has converted its former department stores into an annex for a local college and they split the other one into a Dave and Busters and a bunch of other small storefronts. It has no department stores left. The one I usually go to has a Nordstrom and two separate Macys. The one I don’t go to as much doesn’t have a department store but does have a Target attached which could be what ends up happening to a few other ones.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 11, 2023

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

This gives him way too much credit.

He and three other people went into the Senator's office dressed as construction workers, said they were there to repair to the telephone, got directed to a GSA employee who asked for their work permits and IDs, they faked a phone call, ran away, and then got caught and arrested by capitol police when they tried to run.

I hadn't ever actually heard how that really went down, that's fantastic. :allears: He actually attempted the "nobody ever tries to stop an important-looking person with a clipboard" strat and failed it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ElegantFugue posted:

I hadn't ever actually heard how that really went down, that's fantastic. :allears: He actually attempted the "nobody ever tries to stop an important-looking person with a clipboard" strat and failed it.

I think that's how they broke into the CIA mainframe in the first Mission Impossible movie

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Macy's is basically the last surviving national department store chain. Even though it has outlived most of the other department store chains, it is still doing fairly poorly.

The company is currently worth about 10% of what it was valued at the height of its business and has a market cap of roughly $4.7 billion. A large majority of the value comes from the fact that Macy's owns most of the real estate where their stores are located. A private equity group is offering to buyout all Macy's shareholders for about 20% above what the company is worth.

If they accept, the group is likely to convert many of Macy's stores into other businesses, rent out the commercial real estate space, or sell off the real estate. This will likely mean the final dying breath of the concept of the department store in the U.S.

It seems like kind of a no-brainer to me, but some shareholders and the executives at the company are undecided or resisting a sale. I can't really see any future where department stores make a comeback and become as big as they were. It seems like the market is basically working as intended because online shopping and big box stores like Walmart, Target, and Costco are cheaper and more convenient.

I'm still honestly a little surprised that Macy's managed to outlive the other department stores that all went bankrupt years ago. I don't think the department store concept or business model really makes sense for customers or retailers anymore.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1734261764248707232

Merely making a billion dollars a year on assets worth $6 billion just isn't enough for the capitalist class these days, seems pretty nuts

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

zoux posted:

WaPo WH Correspondent Jeff Stein is noticing some trends:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1734251924243837124

Interesting article in NYT about the rise in pedestrian fatalities. It argues that larger helltrucks aren't actually behind most of the increase

They blame: darkness, people using their cellphones, and rising populations in southern states. One interesting thing they argue is that as fewer vehicles in the US have manual transmissions, it gives more people more time to gently caress around with their phones and other distractions rather than on shifting.

Well, the sun always sets every day, so why the increase?

Again, American only phenomenon. 3 in 4 American pedestrian deaths happen at night, in comparable countries, they say more pedestrians die during the day.

But sure enough, right around sunset, you see a spike in pedestrian deaths.

The article doesn't reach any conclusions, really, so it's up to the reader as to how compelling they find the various arguments. Seems to me like it's a confluence of all these things.

as a broad trend american city roads have long straight roads and european cities are more chaotic I wonder if - shorter sightlines give less opportunity for the sun to shine directly in driver faces in older non-gridded cities

and/or

- is there an increase in pedestrian fatalities in a given gridded city during periods when the sun most closely aligns with the angle of its streets

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

zoux posted:

I recall his second run for president, I do not recall everyone calling him a fascist, 10 thinkpieces a week about if he was a fascist, or that what does supporting Bush mean for America. As I said, there were probably plenty of counter culture people calling him a fascist, maybe that's where you remember hearing it from, but they've called every American president since Ike a fascist.

I mean you can't really make this comparison. Yes, the NYT/CNN/Fox existed in 2004 but they didn't mean the same thing then as they do now. Crucially, click-bait media had not yet evolved yet and hot-takes didn't really exist yet. Most internet media was still taking cues from real life media. Also it's worth noting that the late 90s/early 00's were the birthplace of modern centrism, we were coming off of years of 'actually neither side is correct and everybody would be better off if politicians would agree on things.' 9/11 really marked the beginning of extreme right-wing perspectives - it became much more culturally acceptable to scream violent, anti-immigrant, Islamaphobic nonsense and likewise the left started to galvanize in opposition to that. 'The left' as we know it today hadn't yet organized even the extremely low bar we have today. Most of SA was still making fun of furries.

What I mean is, weekly thinkpeices on fascism weren't possible in 2004. Those kinds of thoughts were shared privately, and yes, in counter-culture. There was no barometer for consensus, memes were still in their infancy, there were no canon leftist opinions propagated by Twitter and other social media spaces. I can tell you that my social circle certainly thought Bush was dangerous, particularly when he started claiming he was speaking to or for god. Music and art from that period reflect this but I think popular opinion was more South Park centrism than anything else. We had to share those kinds of opinions quietly - not because it was dangerous to think Bush was a fascist dipshit but because there were no obvious, open venues to express those kinds of ideas.

The world before #content was a very different place.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

You can find accusations that any American President was fascist though, in recent history at least.
Yeah as someone who was old enough to remember political discourse circa 2005 you could find protesters denouncing "Bu$hitler" and claiming that 9/11 was another Reichstag fire, but mainstream Democratic opinion on GWB was similar to how it portrayed Reagan: as an idiot beholden to Evangelicals and Big Business and whose reckless good-versus-evil foreign policy might lead to WWIII.

Ironically the major "Bush is a fascist and is gonna set up a fascist state" guy I recall back then was Alex Jones, who was actively courting discontented liberal students despite his own avowedly conservative politics.

I'd say "Bush is just a puppet being manipulated by Dick Cheney" was closer to the mainstream than Bush being a fascist.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 11, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

rscott posted:

Merely making a billion dollars a year on assets worth $6 billion just isn't enough for the capitalist class these days, seems pretty nuts

To be fair that is only the real estate assets. They have about $16B in total assets.

Not that a company making a billion dollars a year needs to be shut down by vulture investors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A wage data graph for showing more data got posted elsewhere.

Median and above is down. Below median is up.

https://www.nber.org/digest/20235/pandemic-related-shifts-low-wage-labor-markets

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

shame on an IGA posted:

as a broad trend american city roads have long straight roads and european cities are more chaotic I wonder if - shorter sightlines give less opportunity for the sun to shine directly in driver faces in older non-gridded cities

and/or

- is there an increase in pedestrian fatalities in a given gridded city during periods when the sun most closely aligns with the angle of its streets

Americans being dumb about headlights / American streets being worse lit in aggregate, maybe?

e: vvv we've had some very detailed discussions of what counts as fascism and I personally tend to mostly stick by eco

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 11, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Whether or not the American media entertained public discourse on whether or not GWB was a fascist / had fascist tendencies has zero bearing on the question itself. US media won't even call Donald loving Trump a fascist. They barely use the word "lie" to describe what he does, hundreds of times per week. They invent terms like "untruth" or use softer terms like falsehood, because they ultimately are capitalists, and will do everything they can to minimize the fundamental link between corporatism and fascism.

Eco's 14 features of fascism are the most convincing parameters I've ever come across, and most/all of those describe features of the Bush administration to a pretty strong degree. The Neocons were better at decorum (another form of lying they practice) but their beliefs, and those of Bush and his inner circle, are very much aligned to Trump's. They don't give a gently caress about the integrity of elections, and they sure as poo poo don't care about the rights of minorities.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mendrian posted:

Music and art from that period reflect this but I think popular opinion was more South Park centrism than anything else. We had to share those kinds of opinions quietly - not because it was dangerous to think Bush was a fascist dipshit but because there were no obvious, open venues to express those kinds of ideas.

Music was in a weird place at the time. Leftist music was generally going to be anti-whoever was in power as, like you mentioned, “everyone is wrong” was the zeitgeist of the day.

I remember a lot of pearl clutching when Incubus put out a video (Megalomaniac) which insinuated a connection between Hitler and Bush in 2004.

And of course the Dixie Chicks basically lost their career over not supporting Bush.

But yeah, it was a weird time.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It has and always will bum me out that RATM broke up when they did. We needed those guys from 2001-2008. I mean we still need them but gently caress did we need them in Bush's first term.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

But sure enough, right around sunset, you see a spike in pedestrian deaths.

The article doesn't reach any conclusions, really, so it's up to the reader as to how compelling they find the various arguments. Seems to me like it's a confluence of all these things.
I think the higher concentration of deaths at night is from lack of sidewalks. You'll be driving on a 40-50 mph road at night and all of a sudden you see a guy wearing a dark outfit walking the wrong way on the shoulder. That poo poo doesn't happen in Europe because nobody has to walk on a god drat shoulder. (Walking the wrong way might also reflect limited American exposure to basic pedestrian practices.)

Americans also have lovely headlights compared to Europeans because of outdated (and probably industry captured) regulations.

As for why deaths are rising here when they're not elsewhere... well, it's probably related to the other current points of American exceptionalism.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

e: vvv we've had some very detailed discussions of what counts as fascism and I personally tend to mostly stick by eco

Entire threads for some of us. Trump is a fascist by several serious definitions.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

USCE 2023: Avogadro Toast? In THIS economy?

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

A wage data graph for showing more data got posted elsewhere.

Median and above is down. Below median is up.

https://www.nber.org/digest/20235/pandemic-related-shifts-low-wage-labor-markets
Good chart, thanks. Let me repost it for easier reference...

Right now it's only showing a 1% decrease from pre-pandemic for 50th percentile. That doesn't seem that bad - it's not uncommon for wages to fall (they fell about 4% over the course of Reagan's presidency and people seemed fine with that economy), but barely over a year is a pretty quick pace for wages to fall 1%. And of course they fell from an artificially high peak from the pandemic, which boosted wages in multiple ways, so technically it is a 6-8% drop. (Posters have hypothesized that people are missing the security pandemic income made them feel, even if they don't quite realize that's what is making them upset. It's probably a factor.)

I think wages ought to be rising for everybody over the next year; certainly for the 50th percentile, as wage growth is currently comfortably outpacing inflation. Every bit of increase, and every day that the dip recedes into the past, will help Biden.

I gotta say it's worth celebrating that the current economy has led to such strong gains for the very poor, even if it hasn't been enough to bring their lives up to the reasonable standard we owe them.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I wonder if this whole Kate Cox fiasco in Texas will finally wake Americans up to the true nature of the Republican party and why they fought so hard to overturn RvW

Abortion access seems to be the one thing that Republicans actually get punished for

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Trazz posted:

I wonder if this whole Kate Cox fiasco in Texas will finally wake Americans up to the true nature of the Republican party and why they fought so hard to overturn RvW

Abortion access seems to be the one thing that Republicans actually get punished for

I mean I feel like they’re pretty awakened to it. Like you said this seems to be the thing piercing through the noise for a lot of people. I have no idea if she wants to take on the responsibility of standard bearer of the pro choice movement (I hope she does if only because it’s been half foisted upon her already) but I’m sure the Democrats will message hard on it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Nm, not really adding much.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 12, 2023

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Democrats are not chicken little for calling Bush an authoritarian as well as Trump. Both of them were in different ways. Both represented serious threats to democracy and both did lasting damage while in office.

The intellectualized right has been plotting to destroy US democracy for 50 years. This isn't a new thing. They were not happy about the New Deal. They were not happy about desegregation. They didn't sit back and idle on it they sat to work trying to figure out a way to take back the country they'd lost. If it feels like every election is the "most important election" there is a reason for this. The same way that progressives are always trying to come up with new ways to make peoples' lives better, conservatives are constantly trying to come up with new ways to make peoples' lives worse. It's yin and yang. They keep finding new Constitutional exploits to try to use over time.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/03/08/democracy-chains-interview-author-nancy-maclean

quote:

The results of her years-long investigation is the book Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America (Viking, 2017), a finalist for the National Book Award, which uncovers the history of the well-heeled radical right’s network and its effort to not only change who governs, but to fundamentally change the rules of governance.

In this vision for America, those without great power or property are prevented from using their majority votes to better their lives through a multi-pronged strategy that seeks to kill off unions, suppress voting, privatize schools, highways, Medicare and Social Security, stop action on climate change, transform the legal and judicial system and amend the Constitution to lock all of this into place permanently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orms-heres-why/

The plan to take over all the state houses and gerrymander them hard in 2010 was well documented before it happened and lefties sleepwalked into it without paying much attention until it was too late. Veith V Jubilerer 2004 paved the way for this kind of massive lockdown of state level democracy. The goal was to get a majority of state governments for a long lasting House majority, and ride out multiple political cycles then bank more states whenever they had a good year, until they got enough states for a constitutional convention.

quote:

While in Chile, Buchanan offered government officials detailed counsel on how to draft a “constitution with locks and bolts,” MacLean says. He advised changing the country’s constitution to protect the rights of wealthy elites, so that future democratic majorities would be hard-pressed to alter it.

Project 2025 is just the latest head on the Hydra. They failed to get enough state legislatures (although they came scary close). So now they're trying a new thing. I'm sure it'll be fun. This poo poo's too dangerous to play around with.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A constitutional convention that is ratified through the rules as they exist is impossible. If they want to make it stick that's one of the few "actual civil war" nightmare scenarios.

I'm not sure if project 2025 is an actual existential threat or "just" a Trump 2.0 ruining of the administrative state. The second one is pretty horrible as is, it's nice living somewhere where the basic machinery of government functions well enough that everyone takes it for granted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I could do without the "taking it for granted" part.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Accelerationism also doesn't work. Every time you have some Latin American country devolve into dictatorship, you don't see leftists gaining strength. You see them being rounded up and disappeared while living standards and basic governance degenerate. When the authoritarian structure finally collapses its just replaced by a weaker, more fragile democracy not full communism because civic institutions have been suppressed and weakened.

Yes, I get the ideal is like some Russian Revolution style thing where the old order is completely overthrown, but the Soviet Union almost immediately degenerated into a totalitarian nightmare that imposed its will on its neighbors even worse than its predecessor while paying lip service to socialism.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Cui prodest?
That's the question that should be asked for every political choice.

Who profits from leftist and progressives sitting out elections? Who profits from their refusal to engage and exercise their agency?

Is it the oppressed people they hold forth to justify their neutrality?

Or is it the oppressors who gain a free hand to do their worst?

That's why as far as I'm concerned anyone who advocates political disengagement and not voting are either witting or unwitting agents of the Fash because they are the ones who profit from leftists and progressives sitting on the sidelines.

Here's the falsification of the idea that voting for the lesser evil doesn't work.

The Fash have managed to get their way on Roe and their efforts to undermine the administrative state and don't get poo poo twisted this Roe was a foot note for this court their actual target is the administrative state. The ability of the government to regulate capital and capitalists for the public good.

They did so by voting Red even when dead, they taught their voters to vote for the most regressive least progressive choice in every primary and every election at all levels of government.

Further they focused massive efforts on discouraging disenfranchising Democratic voters. I mean the fact that we can witness the level of voter suppression and other malfeasance to discourage Democrats from voting that exists. From the SCOTUS scrapping pre-clearance through Georgia outlawing providing water to voters in line on to the Texas legislature taking election administration rights from the largest Democratic stronghold in the state demonstrating that at a minimum the opposition recognizes the importance of voting.

We talk about the influence of money in politics, but no seems to talk about where most of that money goes, and it ain't in the candidate's pockets. No most of it gets spent on advertising and GOTV efforts (or in anti-GOTV)

Because ultimately votes determine the outcomes. So the idea that voting doesn't matter is as insane to me as climate change denial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I could do without the "taking it for granted" part.

well yeah but everywhere I've been that doesn't have a functioning administrative state people know that. They might despair about it, but they're aware of the things government isn't providing, not doing the "I wake up and brush my teeth using government regulated clean water" meme. The fact that people can ignore the underpinnings of our functioning society means that the administrative state is healthy-ish. I am totally on board with making more people aware of that, including right here

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I really must be getting old because the only place I buy "nice" clothes from is Macy's. Does the Supreme store sell suits?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Morrow posted:

Accelerationism also doesn't work. Every time you have some Latin American country devolve into dictatorship, you don't see leftists gaining strength. You see them being rounded up and disappeared while living standards and basic governance degenerate. When the authoritarian structure finally collapses its just replaced by a weaker, more fragile democracy not full communism because civic institutions have been suppressed and weakened.

Yes, I get the ideal is like some Russian Revolution style thing where the old order is completely overthrown, but the Soviet Union almost immediately degenerated into a totalitarian nightmare that imposed its will on its neighbors even worse than its predecessor while paying lip service to socialism.

Voting for increasingly Hitler-looking fascists until someone gives me full communism instantly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's like the Laffer curve. You just have to cut democracy more and more until you will find the secret invisible sweet spot where there's suddenly a huge spike in communism

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Hey it worked so well in 2000 and 2016 look how much more progressive democrats got. Thank you for the communism, Joe Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

It's like the Laffer curve. You just have to cut democracy more and more until you will find the secret invisible sweet spot where there's suddenly a huge spike in communism

It's the opposite of "if you go far enough left you get your guns back."