Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I mean, Dot chose him because he is the opposite of Jon Hamm presumably. I have no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
drat, 2 dramatic bathtub standups in 3 episodes

Maybe we can get one more before the end of the season for a hat trick

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know there's plenty of story left, but as of right now what reason would Munch have to want to kill Dot? Obviously she caused him to fail at his assigned job and sliced his face up, but she was just a job, and a job he hasn't been paid for. His anger and vengeance seems solely focused on the Tillmans.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm not all the way through E4 yet, as my DVR didn't record it and I'm having to sit through the ads. I'm not closely reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but:

timp posted:

I agree that it's clear that Dot wouldn't want to touch that, but what about Wayne? Wouldn't it be a quick, easy connection for him? Wife wants guns, mother has guns, why not ask mother for guns? His character has already been established as one who goes to him mom for help with things above his paygrade.

Like I said, it's a totally ignorable detail that honestly didn't even occur to me until after watching the episode, but it feels like a missed connection that could have been assuaged in 2 lines of dialogue. Chekhov's Assault Rifles gone untouched, if you will.

Wayne seems like a bit of a dumbass in the true, Fargo simpleton mold. I think his mom acknowledged as much in E3; something about he's not for the "big time" or something like that?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

timp posted:

drat, 2 dramatic bathtub standups in 3 episodes

Maybe we can get one more before the end of the season for a hat trick

Gonna be hard to beat MEW's in S3

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've never wanted anything to do with organized religion, but drat, if I wouldn't listen to Jon Hamm-as-Sheriff Morality read the audiobook of the Bible.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The husband drive me absolutely nuts, though, the one time he doesn't just let Dot roll right over him is, of course, when he utterly fucks everything up.

Dot dropping the loving gun moments before wasn't exactly brilliant or believable either.

In addition to agreeing with most of the criticisms others have said, I'm finding JJL's character tiresome. I know this is a show not noted for subtle, realistic characters but Jesus Christ, she's a caricature of a cartoon. And I'm a fan of hers, obviously everyone should be, she's a loving brilliant actor. I can't decide if it's only the writing or her performance as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The writing is still not quite as snappy as it was in the early seasons. The FBI subplot and the rather tortured analogy about the sparrow culling just feels like something that would've been done so much more elegantly before. This season is mostly helped by just having a better cast and a more overall interesting/captivating set of scenarios than S4 which has made it fun to watch even as I wince at some of the lines.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the funniest thing about the "we have a different reality" thing is Lamorne Morris insisting that it's "not a thing" -- it shouldn't be a thing, but literally every other character in the show is wandering around in their own fantasy world. Cop lady thinks her husband's golf career is worth supporting, he's self-deluding. Mrs. Lyon (elder) has a PR machine and probably thinks of herself as a warm and nurturing mother, her lickspittle thinks he'll one day be considered family, Tillman and his little kingdom, etc. etc. So, yeah, it's a thing.

Except maybe the 500 year old welshman, though who knows what the gently caress is going on in that subplot. Is he a good leader, is he gonna take care of this random woman he's scooped up into his world and is calling "ma", or is he just as poo poo as Tillman? Pancakes or blood?

(personally I vote pancakes, since blood is boring but hey.)

Be really funny when Morris and Munch cross paths again, because I doubt Munch fits into the cop's understanding of reality.

Nate RFB posted:

The writing is still not quite as snappy as it was in the early seasons. The FBI subplot and the rather tortured analogy about the sparrow culling just feels like something that would've been done so much more elegantly before.

Hmm? I don't think this was meant to be a scene where a smart man was saying a smart thing. It's nonsense.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I agree that overall the writing is a little too pleased with itself; very heavy handed with what it's doing. But I like what it's doing so I'll allow it. It just makes this more of a B+ show than an A show for me.

I love what's going on with Munch and I think (so far) it's pleasantly unclear whether he's LITERALLY 500 years old, or whether he's a zealot who identifies with this 500 years old scenario we were shown, or some combination where he's a spiritual reincarnation (or just thinks he's a spiritual reincarnation) of that person continuing on through the centuries.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 8, 2023

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ChesterJT posted:

I did and I did, but I don't think it's a good comparison because of how surreal that show was. Fargo goes out there sometimes, like with the sin eater, but watching Twin Peaks was like a prolonged acid trip. You're just there for the spectacle.

Calling Twin Peaks mere spectacle is a helluva take

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Danger posted:

Calling Twin Peaks mere spectacle is a helluva take

That's not exactly what I said, but were you really invested in the hard hitting procedural detective work to figure out who killed Laura Palmer?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Decided to take the ol three episode test drive on this, and Hulu dropped me off on S5E1 without me noticing it until I was nearly through.

Should I just continue from here with the insanity of whatever THAT just was, or should I go back to S1E1 and just call this a weird flash forward?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

pointlessone posted:

Decided to take the ol three episode test drive on this, and Hulu dropped me off on S5E1 without me noticing it until I was nearly through.

Should I just continue from here with the insanity of whatever THAT just was, or should I go back to S1E1 and just call this a weird flash forward?

Each season is a separate story. Season 2 is technically a flashback to something someone mentioned in season 1, but you wouldn't be missing anything watching the seasons in any order.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

pointlessone posted:

It's up to you, each season is its own standalone story with some loose connections (they're in the same continuity but it's more easter eggs/references since the stories tend to be in separate years/decades and don't directly tie together).

Season 1 and 2 are generally considered the best, I think season 2 is a phenomenal crime epic. Season 3 is hit and miss with some great highs and a remarkable villain performance. Season 4 was pretty mediocre. Too early to tell on Season 5.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I didn't know they were stand alone-ish per season, I think I'll stick with season 5 and roll back on the others later so I can see discussions live. Thanks!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tender Bender posted:

Season 1 and 2 are generally considered the best, I think season 2 is a phenomenal crime epic. Season 3 is hit and miss with some great highs and a remarkable villain performance. Season 4 was pretty mediocre. Too early to tell on Season 5.

Agree entirely with this. Season 2 is one of the very best single-season's of tv ever made. It's just incredible.

I think 3 holds up better on a re-watch, but agree it doesn't hold a candle to 1 and 2. Regardless, even S4 has a lot of fun parts. They just don't come together, unfortunately.

Fargo hits the same way Wes Anderson films do for me in that every character is wonderfully well defined. Sometimes it's cartoony, sometimes it's just a tick. But it makes watching them interact and move around each other a blast. This season is so far pretty indicative of the brand.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

pointlessone posted:

I didn't know they were stand alone-ish per season, I think I'll stick with season 5 and roll back on the others later so I can see discussions live. Thanks!

Halfway through the season the thread will be going wild at the return of Glup Shitto, and you'll have no idea what's happening.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

You joke but drat if that surprise S4 character return wasn't perfect.

The reveal about who a certain S2 character becomes is also so loving ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

As mentioned, these are all tantamount to easter eggs. Fun, but not distracting from the core story or requiring previous seasons to track.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The reveal about who a certain S2 character becomes is also so loving ridiculous that I can't help but love it.

It's been so long since I've seen the season, mind refreshing my memory who you're referring to?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

It's been so long since I've seen the season, mind refreshing my memory who you're referring to?

"head in a bag. there's the message."

Hanzee has his face hosed up, gets plastic surgery, becomes the crime boss you see in the Chinese restaurant that gets killed by Malvo later.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Damnit, I come here in this thread just to realize you guys are two episodes ahead of us in Euroland. It's so weird how shows have staggered releases in the year of our lord 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

"head in a bag. there's the message."

Hanzee has his face hosed up, gets plastic surgery, becomes the crime boss you see in the Chinese restaurant that gets killed by Malvo later.

I had a feeling it was them, thank you for the reminder!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

You joke but drat if that surprise S4 character return wasn't perfect.

As mentioned, these are all tantamount to easter eggs. Fun, but not distracting from the core story or requiring previous seasons to track.

For season 4, it was pretty obvious from the initial press releases saying it was about black criminals and that there was a character named Milligan, that one of the characters was going either be Mike or maybe Mike's dad. And by the time Satchel become attached to him by the waist, it was a forgone conclusion.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Okay, season 4 is forgiven, this rules

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

What happens when he comes unravelled?

Covid-19? Though I doubt it. Aside from my thoughts on this maybe not being a good idea, this season looks like it will definitely go through Christmas, and probably Munch right along with it.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Well, poo poo. poo poo. geez.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Show is sooo good.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is a national treasure.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ok, gently caress JJL's character so hard. Why are we having this scene?

Not the actress herself, mind.

Also, how on Earth did Dot think that was going to work?

e- Fuckin' :laffo:, get her, Sheriff Morals.

e2- "Put on your big boy pants and take the hit". God drat, they're both throwin' blows!

e3- The whole 7 years bit. Jesus, that whole thing was one of the best exchanges I've seen in years. :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 13, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You want power without responsibility, but there's only one person who has that."
"The President :hmmyes:"
"A baby. You want the freedom to be a baby."

Absolutely loving savage, hell yes.

Everything coming together really hammered home that sense of the walls closing in, with the speech about seeing the cage plus the narration on the tiger really added to the sense of desperation. Fantastic episode.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 13, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

JJL needs to just have her own show where she gets to be a badass 24/7. What an insanely amazingly good scene. You really gotta love any form of entertainment that builds up a horrible person then makes you cheer for them.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

loving hell what a performance.

Not a single word wasted from any of JJL's scenes through the whole show. I love the framing of herself as the zookeeper, the loving open disdain and disgust she has for anyone, especially Tillman in her own drat home, to think they can impact upon her will. I'm the only person who matters, I hate my entire family of worms but she's my drat daughter in law to gently caress with.

If this sticks the landing it could be on par with season 2. Did not expect this return to form but gently caress yeah Hawley lets gooooooo.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"What I want to know is are you going to look for her or are going to sit drinking coffee in the one house in the state where I know that girl ain't at."

Not just the "ain't," but ending a sentence with a preposition as a deliberate power move.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
That moment with the golfer husband where the deputy made up her mind about letting Scottie stay was really funny

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was surprised that it was so easy for Dot to admit the truth (or, maybe, just part of the truth) at the end there.

Getting the sense that Jennifer Jason Lee was kind of right to put her in an institution though, she's uhh probably quite crazy and definitely dangerous.

Lol that her husband is probably still locked in the toilet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

"What I want to know is are you going to look for her or are going to sit drinking coffee in the one house in the state where I know that girl ain't at."

Not just the "ain't," but ending a sentence with a preposition as a deliberate power move.

Irony being that is the house she was at.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Jerusalem posted:

"You want power without responsibility, but there's only one person who has that."
"The President :hmmyes:"
"A baby. You want the freedom to be a baby."

This was so good.

I'm loving this season so far. I just rewatched all of season 2 inbetween two episodes of season 5 and I miss the insane split screens they did in season 2 but I'm otherwise fully engaged. I love how Danish Graves looks like he finds everything that's been going on very distasteful

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

This was so good.

I'm loving this season so far. I just rewatched all of season 2 inbetween two episodes of season 5 and I miss the insane split screens they did in season 2 but I'm otherwise fully engaged. I love how Danish Graves looks like he finds everything that's been going on very distasteful
Yeah Dave Foley is really killing it with this character. I'm beginning to see Danish Graves instead of Dave Foley With An Eye patch now, so he's really on his A-Game here. If there was anything to nitpick about with this season it's that they seem to be using Hamm as much as they used Olyphant in Season 4, not enough. But I can't really find myself caring enough about that because everyone else is doing such a drat good job and, really, I'll take more JJL than Hamm at this point and I feel like I'm getting it so who am I to complain? The real nitpick is I just wish the episodes were longer, I always feel like I didn't get enough every time an episode ends!

My heart melted when Dorothy said "I love you too" when she picks up Wayne. It's really hard to know what mental faculties he really has here but... it felt so sweet.

"Poop came out!"
"Oooo!"

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 13, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Looking forward to if the Mother-in-Law changes her tone to Dorthy now that she knows the backstory. She's worried about her son foremost, but knowing who she was fleeing from and why might make her more inclined to help. Game see's game kind of thing. Or not.

Season rules. Helps a lot that for Fargo they really dialed the cast back from 20 whimsical pieces to a more manageable 10 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Disappointed there weren't any pancakes in this episode, though I suppose breakfast for dinner was discussed.

I appreciate the disdain being directed at Roy and I hope all of his plans continue to fail because gently caress that guy.