Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It probably gets closed in the next CBA I would imagine. Unless he's the only player to do this which is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ohtani is the GOAT for this

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

live with fruit posted:

Fans. Non-Dodger fans lose. It infuriates me how people say something like "Well maybe other owners should just spend more" like fans in Pittsburgh or Colorado have any control over that.

You’re essentially arguing the tail is wagging the dog. The A’s don’t not spend money or lose out on superstars because the Yankees do, or the Dodgers do, but because they don’t want to spend money and then use that as an excuse so their fans don’t get pissed. Ohtani having crazy deferrals doesn’t mean the White Sox are suddenly out of the running for Yamamoto - they never were going to spend that money in the first place, and now get a convenient scapegoat to tell their fans about the big bad Ohtani deal that ruined their chances at signing Blake Snell, honest, for realsies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“All contracts must end within 21 years “ or similar

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Fans. Non-Dodger fans lose. It infuriates me how people say something like "Well maybe other owners should just spend more" like fans in Pittsburgh or Colorado have any control over that.

Won't someone please think of the fans!?!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

euphronius posted:

Okay but that doesn't affect Ohtani's deal at all.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

euphronius posted:

Why would the MLBPA go for any of this? As has been pointed out it very much matters that Ohtani is loving himself over financially on this*, so it would be weird if it ever happened again. The MLBPA exists to protect players from predatory deals from ownership and stuff, but this is just straight up Ohtani deciding "pay me half what I could get, I'd rather get rings"

* I'm sure he's not financially loving himself over on this, he's still gonna make drat near $70m a year through endorsements and poo poo of course

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hey I’m just reading posts . I assumed he had a 350 year deal for 2 million a year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

NieR Occomata posted:

I think he’s implying people hating this specifically because it opens up Dodger cap flexibility to scoop other superstar players from other teams, the aforementioned stanning for billionaires (the small market owners who will whine about this, more precisely). Again, this was explicitly Ohtani’s idea - if it wasn’t this would suck poo poo, but because he’s the one who pushed this idea forward aggressively, again, who cares.

Also this isn’t a Deshaun Watson situation where it’s explicitly a ton of deferred money to avoid criminal charges/ lessen his valuation when he gets inevitably sued by his victims, it’s a purely competitive move. It’s tbh the platonic ideal of what you want from a professional sports player - getting (close to) decent compensation for his talents while still being 100% committed to being as competitive as he could possibly be.

The only reason Ohtani feels compelled to do this though is because of the luxury tax, the penalties of which would have crippled the Dodgers had they actually handed Ohtani $70M a year and been assessed accordingly. Without it the Dodgers can afford to actually pay him without major deferrals (and again: deferred money is strictly less valuable than money paid today, and the longer the deferral the more value is lost) while still staying competitive. So in a roundabout way this is just the luxury tax doing it's job: creating incentives to artificially lower player contracts so more money ultimately stays with the owners. I know it sounds stupid to say about arguably the greatest record breaking contract in American sports, but what's happening here is anti-player.

Again though like we both said: Ohtani wanted it, so whatever. I'm not going to throw some big stink over it. It sucks if it sets a precedent though and it sucks that Ohtani was most likely on compelled to push for it (or at least, to push for it to such an extreme) because of perverse anti-player incentives created by the CBT.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

Why would the MLBPA go for any of this? As has been pointed out it very much matters that Ohtani is loving himself over financially on this, so it would be weird if it ever happened again. The MLBPA exists to protect players from predatory deals from ownership and stuff, but this is just straight up Ohtani deciding "pay me half what I could get, I'd rather get rings"

In the bargaining process they could exchange it for a concession from the owners such as idk anything really. Free agency starts when you are 23 for example

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

You’re essentially arguing the tail is wagging the dog. The A’s don’t not spend money or lose out on superstars because the Yankees do, or the Dodgers do, but because they don’t want to spend money and then use that as an excuse so their fans don’t get pissed. Ohtani having crazy deferrals doesn’t mean the White Sox are suddenly out of the running for Yamamoto - they never were going to spend that money in the first place, and now get a convenient scapegoat to tell their fans about the big bad Ohtani deal that ruined their chances at signing Blake Snell, honest, for realsies.

I'm arguing that people shouldn't throw lovely ownership in the face of fans who are rightfully upset about how clearly MLB is divided into the haves and have nots when they have no control over anything.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

He will, I think they would pay taxes for any games played in CA (all of the home games, and if they play LA, SD, OAK, or SF)

But would that be factored in for his deferred years when he's not playing? Or only the 2 million he makes for the next 10 years?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

But would that be factored in for his deferred years when he's not playing? Or only the 2 million he makes for the next 10 years?
No idea as I am not familiar with that specific kind of thing

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Popete posted:

Yeah if he moves to Japan a day before he gets the deferred payments and isn't a US citizen then why would he pay taxes on that money?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Considering the real estate in Pasadena Ohtani might need 2 roommates now

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also this won’t be a loophole that needs to be closed because like 99% of players aren’t going to go for insane deferrals in their contract. Ohtani is a baseball-obsessed freak who cares solely and specifically about getting rings, everyone else isn’t gonna go for insane deferments unless one of three things happens: 1)the payments accrue interest (Bonilla), 2) they have pending legal/criminal charges and need to depress their value right now no matter what (Watson), or 3) they’re a baseball obsessed freak who only cares about getting rings (which there’s like maybe three people in this league who would go for something like this).

Sydin posted:

The only reason Ohtani feels compelled to do this though is because of the luxury tax, the penalties of which would have crippled the Dodgers had they actually handed Ohtani $70M a year and been assessed accordingly. Without it the Dodgers can afford to actually pay him without major deferrals (and again: deferred money is strictly less valuable than money paid today, and the longer the deferral the more value is lost) while still staying competitive. So in a roundabout way this is just the luxury tax doing it's job: creating incentives to artificially lower player contracts so more money ultimately stays with the owners. I know it sounds stupid to say about arguably the greatest record breaking contract in American sports, but what's happening here is anti-player.

Again though like we both said: Ohtani wanted it, so whatever. I'm not going to throw some big stink over it. It sucks if it sets a precedent though and it sucks that Ohtani was most likely on compelled to push for it (or at least, to push for it to such an extreme) because of perverse anti-player incentives created by the CBT.

This is a totally fair point. I really wish that his payouts in 2035 on accrued interest like Bonilla’s did, but oh well. It’s what he wants.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

live with fruit posted:

I'm arguing that people shouldn't throw lovely ownership in the face of fans who are rightfully upset about how clearly MLB is divided into the haves and have nots when they have no control over anything.

But one thing has literally nothing to do with the other, as you pointed out. They are two separate issues not at all related to each other.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

NieR Occomata posted:

Also this won’t be a loophole that needs to be closed because like 99% of players aren’t going to go for insane deferrals in their contract.

This could absolutely end up being a cudgel to bully players, especially international and younger players, into sweetheart deals for the team in the interest of being a "team player"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1734349354952233007?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

lmao owned

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yeah if he moves to Japan a day before he gets the deferred payments and isn't a US citizen then why would he pay taxes on that money?

If that's how it works, I don't know. But it seems sketchy to have a huge deferred contract which allows you to almost entirely avoid paying state income tax on 68 million per year.

Like I could see that catching on as everyone starts taking deferred deals and then as soon as they retire they "move" to Texas and never pay income tax.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I just want to see Ohtani, the Dodgers, and the ESPN and MLB darlings eat poo poo on a cold night in Toronto by the lake in November. I’m tired of the lazy “Toronto is a small town except for hockey” takes

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

But one thing has literally nothing to do with the other, as you pointed out. They are two separate issues not at all related to each other.

I'm not the one making the connection.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

If that's how it works, I don't know. But it seems sketchy to have a huge deferred contract which allows you to almost entirely avoid paying state income tax on 68 million per year.

Like I could see that catching on as everyone starts taking deferred deals and then as soon as they retire they "move" to Texas and never pay income tax.

Every time I drive over a pot hole in Southern California, I'm going to curse Ohtani's name.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

MLB was going to nix that $400M deal the Padres were offering Arson Judge for the same reason

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 12, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

NieR Occomata posted:

The A’s ... then use that as an excuse so their fans don’t get pissed.

lol

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tatsuta Age posted:

This could absolutely end up being a cudgel to bully players, especially international and younger players, into sweetheart deals for the team in the interest of being a "team player"

also yeah i like ohtani and i'm glad he wants to play but the rules/MLBPA should also exist to keep players from making boneheaded sweetheart deals that make owners lives easier and ohtani's move here is absolutely that

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
hosed up that Noted Tax Evader Shohei Ohtani is anti-worker and anti-union

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tatsuta Age posted:

I think it includes the deferred years so in this case it will be like he's being paid ~$450m (the actual value calculation of $700m NOW versus in 20 years when he gets it, like a annuity vs lump sum lottery winner) over 20 years or so. So the luxury tax hit is around $20-something million a year instead of $70 million.

Maybe that's wrong but I think that's what I've been seeing people who seem generally knowledgeable say.

The Dodgers are going to be carrying that $20-something million a year tax hit for decades though, if I understand the rules correctly? (I probably don't)

e: pretty sure non-citizens in the US on work visas still have income tax withheld from their paychecks. Can't say for sure if that also applies to pro athletes but it probably does

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Popete posted:

He should pay state taxes too. It's money he earned working in California.

He is on the 2mil he's getting a year

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Monathin posted:

also yeah i like ohtani and i'm glad he wants to play but the rules/MLBPA should also exist to keep players from making boneheaded sweetheart deals that make owners lives easier and ohtani's move here is absolutely that

Ohtani's on his way to being a billionaire so this is just class solidarity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is LeBron James an actual billionaire at this point? He's made $430 million in salary and probably more than that in endorsements/etc. but I have no idea what his burn rate is. Messi is probably around $1B just in salary by now.

Anyway if Ohtani wants to be a billionaire it's certainly within his power to get there.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bawfuls posted:

stop stanning for billionaires

It's not stanning for billionaires. It's allowing billionaires to once again game the system.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 12, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

will_colorado posted:

MLB was going to nix that $400M deal the Padres were offering Arson Judge for the same reason

If this is true, it's some bullshit

Bregor
May 31, 2013

will_colorado posted:

I think the difference there is the term was crazy. Judge had just finished his age 30 season and was signing a 14 year deal. The issue wasn’t money deferred but overall length of “playing” years to get around the luxury tax. They have calculations for the tax including deferred money, hence the ~$40mil tax hit for the Dodgers.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

zoux posted:

If this is true, it's some bullshit

https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/padre...ign=partnerfeed

Bregor posted:

I think the difference there is the term was crazy. Judge had just finished his age 30 season and was signing a 14 year deal. The issue wasn’t money deferred but overall length of “playing” years to get around the luxury tax. They have calculations for the tax including deferred money, hence the ~$40mil tax hit for the Dodgers.
Ohtani turns 30 in the middle of next season. Judge would have been only like 6 months older than Ohtani at that point

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 12, 2023

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

will_colorado posted:

That article says they would block it for extending past a reasonable length to reduce the annual salay number, it doesn't mention deferrals at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh ok I didn't see the tax hit, whatever, that's fine.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This deal sucks for any upcoming free agents expected to do the same

Bregor
May 31, 2013

will_colorado posted:

Ohtani turns 30 in the middle of next season. Judge would have been only like 6 months older than Ohtani at that point

Yeah but playing to 40 with deferred money and playing to 44 without deferred money is not really the same. Might seem arbitrary but I’m sure there’s a good reason why in the CBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

will_colorado posted:

https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/padre...ign=partnerfeed

14 is a lot more than 10!!!