Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

did he fix his soul yet
Yes, but. I just closed delve for good last night because after a chapter that was the culmination of that arc, where you see how otherworldly strong rain has made his soul by the superpower of working obsessively hard, from the perspective of a brain remnant of a super mentalist who is coming to deliver sage advice and wisdom and greater world perspective, just as he somehow transforms their temporary existence into something more permanent through the sheer power of being the bestest, it just cuts away and then the next two chapters have no followthrough and end on memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Also someone else does the same thing and breaks their soul, so while it's over for Rain it's not really over. I'm sure 6 months later there will be a random chapter about patching walls but instead of some steampunk submarine it will be super blacksmithing

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

What is it about naming your main character rain that inspires the author to break souls?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bhodi posted:

Yes, but. I just closed delve for good last night because after a chapter that was the culmination of that arc, where you see how otherworldly strong rain has made his soul by the superpower of working obsessively hard, from the perspective of a brain remnant of a super mentalist who is coming to deliver sage advice and wisdom and greater world perspective, just as he somehow transforms their temporary existence into something more permanent through the sheer power of being the bestest, it just cuts away and then the next two chapters have no followthrough and end on memes.
oh my god he made that remnant permanent gently caress offff it was only interesting having her around cause she was gonna vanish and not do the wise mentor thing forever

also I want to know more about the isekai'd romans and literally nobody else

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Selkie Myth posted:

I didn't get that vibe AT ALL.

It’s just one line at the end of this most recent chapter, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be a big part of the next one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blastron posted:

Hm, as much as I’ve been wishing the current SupSoup arc would wrap up, (Patreon 113) the one thing I hate more than stories about people being bullied are stories about bullied people getting a leg up and then snapping right around and using their new power to get revenge. I was kind of hoping that Lute would handle his selection with however much dignity a 14-year-old could muster, but now that he’s ended this chapter being snippy with the most genuinely friendly and sociable kid in his class, I’m convinced that the reason people don’t like him isn’t just because of the dice thing, but because he’s about to be a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone he knows.

This is a kind of bizarre read of that situation, especially when these chapters have gone into (arguably excessive) detail about how how classmates treated him as they got older.

As Lute himself points out, Kon and the other "nice kids" were in some ways worse, because they were obviously aware that Lute was being treated like poo poo but did nothing about it (and in Kon's case conspicuously excluded Lute from social activities while including virtually everyone else). And those "nice kids" were also the prospective higher-ranks, and their attitude largely stemmed from being "above" the situation.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Well, I hope I’m wrong then, because (SS 113) I don’t like reading about people being lovely to each other, especially when it’s the viewpoint character doing it. It would be great if Lute handles this with as much maturity and dignity as a 14-year-old can muster.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think there's a lot more room for interpretation than (SupSup 113)Lute's narration alone suggests. Like, were they excluding him from social activities, or were they trying to avoid doing things they thought would be painful for him while he was around? And some of them did speak out against the obvious bullying and try to help.

And the opposite too. Lute got mad at Vandy because she suggested he trade his fake-class and used the explanation that it didn't matter to him, and he assumed that was because he wasn't going to get selected, but she did reasonably point out that he didn't care about the assignment and always just half assed it, while it was honestly important to the person asking him to trade. That seems like exactly the kind of thing Vandy would say to someone who was expected to get selected.

So basically, if you make allowances for Lute as an unreliable narrator, he got mad when they treated him differently and he got mad when they didn't treat him differently. It was teenagers in a really awkward and painful situation and it exploded, but it honestly feels like Lute might be as much to blame as most of the classmates.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 11, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

I think there's a lot more room for interpretation than (SupSup 113)Lute's narration alone suggests. Like, were they excluding him from social activities, or were they trying to avoid doing things they thought would be painful for him while he was around? And some of them did speak out against the obvious bullying and try to help.

And the opposite too. Lute got mad at Vandy because she suggested he trade his fake-class and used the explanation that it didn't matter to him, and he assumed that was because he wasn't going to get selected, but she did reasonably point out that he didn't care about the assignment and always just half assed it, while it was honestly important to the person asking him to trade. That seems like exactly the kind of thing Vandy would say to someone who was expected to get selected.

So basically, if you make allowances for Lute as an unreliable narrator, he got mad when they treated him differently and he got mad when they didn't treat him differently. It was teenagers in a really awkward and painful situation and it exploded, but it honestly feels like Lute might be as much to blame as most of the classmates.

But we literally see Haoyu in this chapter mention that Lute was obviously upset during the incident you mention with Vandy and the dice. And Haoyu, despite probably treating Lute the best next to Lexi, obviously thinks that the way they treated him was wrong. Plus the dice thing was just a culmination of a long history of being bullied and/or ostracized.

Also, this is a situation where Lute started from a perspective of assuming the best. It's not like he started out angsty and then interpreted everyone's behavior in the worst light - he was gradually forced to accept that people were treating him worse, after being in denial about it for a while.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bremen posted:

haha its the hazel analysis all over again. Yeah if you remove the expectation that these kids should have any empathy whatsoever then they're behaving fine from their point of view. Lute got mad at vandy because vandy's life is hosed in its own weird way and she's been trained into being incredibly self-righteous, so obviously she looks at the dice game as a puzzle to be solved in the most optimal heroic way, and she tried to make lute fit into his correct place. But he's an abused kid, not a puzzle piece, and her not seeing that is incredibly hurtful regardless of her intentions.
This is why Lute gets on with Lexi - cos Lexi is a semi-dick to him in the same way he's a semi-dick to everyone else. Lexi treats Lute like a human.

also this isn't lute's narration - this is lutes experience and perspective. These arent the words he's using to tell alden, this is what he went through. So he can be wrong in his interpretations of what happened, but the words on the page aren't lying to us (based on sleyca's author notes).

e: im not saying anyone could necessarily be expected to have acted better at that point - the whole island is completely hosed from so so many different angles, and communicating that is the point of the whole exhaustive backstory - but that just explains the situation, it doesn't excuse it.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 11, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

But we literally see Haoyu in this chapter mention that Lute was obviously upset during the incident you mention with Vandy and the dice. And Haoyu, despite probably treating Lute the best next to Lexi, obviously thinks that the way they treated him was wrong. Plus the dice thing was just a culmination of a long history of being bullied and/or ostracized.

Also, this is a situation where Lute started from a perspective of assuming the best. It's not like he started out angsty and then interpreted everyone's behavior in the worst light - he was gradually forced to accept that people were treating him worse, after being in denial about it for a while.

Some people (SupSup 113) definitely treated Lute like poo poo. Hazel, obviously, and Declan. And when you're in a situation where life is hard and some people are treating you like poo poo it's easy to lash out at other people. But if the story is trying to show that yeah, everyone else really was being mean to Lute... that failed for me. Having an unreliable narrator imply it is not the same as showing it.

And I read Haoyu's comment the opposite as you did:

“It hurt your feelings,” Haoyu said, watching him. “When everyone expected you to give up the dice bag. You usually acted like you didn’t care at all about that kind of thing. But you were so upset that day."

Haoyu is saying that he regrets it because it made Lute upset, but in a way that implies it surprised him that Lute was angry about it. Goes back to what I was saying; I think Lute was (justifiably) unhappy because of other factors, and so he saw what the fellow students did as bullying, even though to them they weren't treating him any differently than anyone else.

And then he goes and responds to the people who even he admits were trying to be nice to him, who realized he was unhappy and were trying to be better but failing because he never explained what they were doing wrong, with: "You’ve never seen me before,” he said, staring into Kon’s eyes. “Maybe you’ll be able to now." That in no way describes anything Kon did, it was pure spite. So yeah, it really does read to me like Lute lashing out at innocent people, even though it makes sense given the situation.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 11, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 113

This whole Lute flashback thing kinds sucks for a few reasons. Aside from it being absurdly drawn out in the middle of a boater arc high point, I'm really not sure what all Lute is actually telling Alden. Like was he actually telling Alden that he thought his mother cheated on his father when she got pregnant with him? That seems like an absurdly private thing to lay out to Alden.

Also, Lute was going out of his way to validate/disprove his biases for/against people in the week before he revealed he was selected. He was giving everyone another shot at not being a dick to him (and was nice to them first) before letting the cat out the bag, so he could determine who actually is a nice person when he's a nobody and who might just want to latch onto him later. So I don't know how you can read all that and then think "wow Lute's actually a huge rear end in a top hat"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 113

This whole Lute flashback thing kinds sucks for a few reasons. Aside from it being absurdly drawn out in the middle of a boater arc high point, I'm really not sure what all Lute is actually telling Alden. Like was he actually telling Alden that he thought his mother cheated on his father when she got pregnant with him? That seems like an absurdly private thing to lay out to Alden.

Also, Lute was going out of his way to validate/disprove his biases for/against people in the week before he revealed he was selected. He was giving everyone another shot at not being a dick to him (and was nice to them first) before letting the cat out the bag, so he could determine who actually is a nice person when he's a nobody and who might just want to latch onto him later. So I don't know how you can read all that and then think "wow Lute's actually a huge rear end in a top hat"

Except Kon is one of the ones he specifically notes as being nice to him, and he still attacks him at the end of the chapter. If his attempt at a "this is why you suck" speech was targeted at Declan or Hazel then I'd say more power to him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm always impressed by people's ability to read things with zero emotional literacy. Vandy was insanely in the wrong with the dice thing. The person demanding the trade was one of his bullies, and Vandy knew that. it was clear that Lute was upset about being pressured to trade. Vandy continued to pressure him anyway.

The closing line to Kon is just true. Telling someone the truth of how they treated you is hardly lashing out.

There's also not much reason to think Lute goes around being a huge dick after he gets his S rank. Hazel said he was, but Hazel is such a monster that I take that a mark in Lute's favor. We also know his crush asks him out during the gloss, so he must be behaving reasonably enough that luck could tip events enough that someone would ask him out.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 113

from the author's notes on 110

quote:

Someone asked how much of this info Alden was getting. He's getting the overall plot. You can assume Lute's giving him the important highlights, but not every last detail or embarrassing thought he might have had. But since Lute's story is such an interesting one that shows other characters in ways we can't access through the present timeline and Alden's POV, I thought it would better to show it all fully on screen rather than having it delivered through pure conversation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

awesmoe posted:

from the author's notes on 110

[/spoiler]

Yet another reason why I don't like these chapters for Super Supportive.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Web Serials:

(even if I was adjacent to the existence of this current title by first mentioning the guy getting raped by his house, this made me laugh too much to not highlight)

Yeah this is a good thread title, I reported it to alert the mods :cheers:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Wittgen posted:

I'm always impressed by people's ability to read things with zero emotional literacy. Vandy was insanely in the wrong with the dice thing. The person demanding the trade was one of his bullies, and Vandy knew that. it was clear that Lute was upset about being pressured to trade. Vandy continued to pressure him anyway.

The closing line to Kon is just true. Telling someone the truth of how they treated you is hardly lashing out.

There's also not much reason to think Lute goes around being a huge dick after he gets his S rank. Hazel said he was, but Hazel is such a monster that I take that a mark in Lute's favor. We also know his crush asks him out during the gloss, so he must be behaving reasonably enough that luck could tip events enough that someone would ask him out.

And I'm amazed at people's ability to turn what's meant as a polite internet discussion and turn it into ad hominem attacks. Fine, I feel this discussion is unwanted here, so I guess I'll drop it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yet another reason why I don't like these chapters for Super Supportive.
yeah this (from the author's notes on 113) are imo just yikes

quote:

I've considered writing (and have written some) a bit farther than that, talking about Lute's first assignment on the Triplanets, how Mass Bestowal works, and meeting Parethat-uur. It's going to be hilarious. But that's probably two-three more chapters worth. Lute fans, those will come at a later date, whenever the story gives me the opportunity again. Next week's release will put us at what I feel is a very good closure point for Lute and the other Velras.
this is just another book, in the same universe, with lute as the protagonist instead of alden. would I read it? probably, sure. would I rather be reading super supportive? absolutely yes.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Web Serials:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yet another reason why I don't like these chapters...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

As somebody not on Patreon, is everything ok author-wise? :ohdear:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Yes. Backlog slimming out a bit due to her current inability to not write many words about everything that is happening or has happened, but that’s the worst of it.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

awesmoe posted:

the whole island is completely hosed from so so many different angles

While I agree with you here, I'm not sure the story does. There's a lot of barely reflected indulgence in all the luxuries, the amenities, the products and their disposability, the exclusivity of it all, the ranking people by their value...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Griddle of Love posted:

While I agree with you here, I'm not sure the story does. There's a lot of barely reflected indulgence in all the luxuries, the amenities, the products and their disposability, the exclusivity of it all, the ranking people by their value...

If this is in relation to the evacuation rank, I think that might be the opposite - my impression was the evacuation rank is prioritized based on how well someone can protect themselves, not their value. So the first priority for evacuations is actually non-avowed and visitors to the island.

Though I agree there's at the very least a sub-conscious ranking of people by their value going on, I'm not sure there's anything official.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Wittgen posted:

agreed on this. Lute makes a point of noting that Kon was a very underlined name in his book at that time, because he was very clearly trying to make up for things with Lute, but he still clearly didn't get why everything had happened that way and so was just defaulting to being "nice" in a way that didn't actually reflect the underlying issue of never really considering Lute his "peer" in any way (note that right before that scene Kon storms through the front door to go speak with people, and then apparently actively has remind himself to go back and hold the door open for Lute - a mark in his favor, obviously, but still something that reflects how he historically was never really "aware" of Lute in the same way as other students.)

Haoyu outright admits to behaving similarly - he stated he knew Lute was deeply hurt at the time, but did nothing because he didn't have any idea what he could do, and when the stuff with the dice came out he joined with Kon in going after Declan because that was an easy way of proving himself "nice" by going after the bully, even though even then he knew that wouldn't really solve anything, because school/society had really only prepped him for doing the former and the actual problem was something he had no tools to deal with.

A large part of Super Supportive, imo, is exploring how these sorts of biases and inequalities occur less through active evil and more through people failing to think through potential negative consequences and letting things proceed without any protections in place, which inevitably results in each and every one of those negative consequences occurring despite no one ostensibly "wanting" them to (eg the early section where Joe discusses the System as a three-billion-person group project that no one is actually happy with). In that sense, I think the large size of the recent patreon chapters are a point in their favor, as we get a real sense for how the System has so thoroughly warped Anesidoran (and to some extent global) society around itself that Lute has spent his entire life constantly running into reminders of how Avowed status is an assumed default, how the obsession with the (theoretically) standardized rank system leads to people viewing it as some sort of objective measure of their value as a human being, how his schoolmates/family are correspondingly raised to only think about things relating to their future ranking within the system (and consequently, to not think about anything that isn't related to that system, like Lute, human literature, empathy, etc.). Lute's moment of pity for his classmate is because he recognizes that she legitimately views her future C-rank as some sort of denigration of who she is as a person, that she must have failed somehow to not have been born into a rich white high-rank family - but ultimately he still crosses her name off, because her response to this is to double down and try and more firmly establish Lute as beneath her, because even though the current system makes her miserable she's satisfied as long as there's someone even more miserable she can look down on. In that vein, it's understandable that Kon doesn't really understand what the problem is until Lute explicitly tells him at the end of the chapter - he may be a fundamentally good character, but this is the first time in his life the failure of the System's system has really been made apparent to him, and no part of school/Anesidora/etc has ever treated this as something he should be concerned about, so how could he figure out what's going on on his own?

Nettle Soup posted:

the non-spoiler version is that we're in the middle of another extended character section like the Boe one before, and like the Boe one before there's a pretty regular back and forth between comments from people who want to get back to what Alden was doing previously and author's notes from Sleyca reaffirming that this is how she wants to pace the story. Personal take is that there's definitely parts a different author could have cut out to shorten the section by 1-2 chapters, but those sorts of internal dialogues are what Sleyca clearly enjoys writing so I don't think this story was ever going to spend less time on it than this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah, it's fine. There's been (zero actual story spoilers here - I'm just mentioning the general type of content) an extended interlude of sorts and some people are really bothered by that. It's the sort of thing I kinda understand, but if I'm being completely honest I think it's driven by a sort of "addiction" to the progression elements of stories like this. All the stuff about "pacing" just seems like an attempt to rationalize feeling bad at the lack of week to week "progress" in the narrative. Flashbacks are a sin because not only is the protagonist not "leveling up," but time isn't even passing in the story (which would get them closer to leveling up). And these stories are released twice a week, so people are accustomed to some sort of dopamine hit from "progress" - hell, it's why the genre is called "progression novels"!

I'm pretty certain no one will care much once they're able to read all these chapters at once, because they'll no longer represent "having to wait longer to Progress." And even now, it seems like maybe 1/3 (at most) of the reader-base feels this way. Sleyca just tends to respond to reader comments a lot (a bit too much IMO, though I'm happy she's decided to "stick with the plan").

Nick Buntline posted:

Personal take is that there's definitely parts a different author could have cut out to shorten the section by 1-2 chapters, but those sorts of internal dialogues are what Sleyca clearly enjoys writing so I don't think this story was ever going to spend less time on it than this.

Agreed. I think it could have been trimmed a bit (I'd also say 1-2 chapters across the entire "arc") but not dramatically, and that it definitely still needed to be a single "substory" instead of spread out across various detached interludes.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 11, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
An ad hominem attack is saying an argument is bad because of personal flaws of the person making it. That's not what I'm doing. I'm saying that your reading of the chapter is radically wrong about what is going on in the story, emotionally. I apologize if it came across as a personal attack.

Edit: Great post Nick. That's getting at a lot of what I think about Super Supportive. It's background sociological versimillitude is my favorite thing about it.

I agree that this section could have been shorter, but it's sort of a feature and not a bug of web serials that they allow for authors to really indulge themselves. Sleyca is clearly living what she's doing right now, and I do think it's good. It could be written more tightly, and there might be other parts of the story that are being really delayed, but I find it hard to complain.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 12, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Griddle of Love posted:

This is always a false dichotomy in narrative art, I think. Pride and Prejudice can be critical of the role and constrained options of an unmarried woman in the society it depicts and still have the heroine fall in love with a hot rich guy at the end.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's fine. There's been (zero actual story spoilers here - I'm just mentioning the general type of content) an extended interlude of sorts and some people are really bothered by that. It's the sort of thing I kinda understand, but if I'm being completely honest I think it's driven by a sort of "addiction" to the progression elements of stories like this. All the stuff about "pacing" just seems like an attempt to rationalize feeling bad at the lack of week to week "progress" in the narrative. Flashbacks are a sin because not only is the protagonist not "leveling up," but time isn't even passing in the story (which would get them closer to leveling up). And these stories are released twice a week, so people are accustomed to some sort of dopamine hit from "progress" - hell, it's why the genre is called "progression novels"!

this treats wanting plot progression as a gauche quirk of litrpg fanatics rather than the consensus desire of consumers of narrative fiction. most people, by and large, regard 'nothing happening' in fiction as a criticism. The problem isn't the numbers arent going up, it's that in the early chapters sleyca nailed all of character development, world building, and exciting stuff happening, but now it's down to two out of three.

Griddle of Love posted:

fwiw im not 100% clear on what you mean by 'barely reflected' - not really examined in the text, maybe? If so I sort of disagree. The story isn't interested in challenging capitalism but it is full of instances of inequality that are clearly mentioned for you the reader to notice and go "woah thats pretty messed up in a big ol 'societies and systems' way". There's also a lot of conflict simmering that just hasnt been got to yet - globies vs locals, high ranks vs low ranks, alien haters vs happily conscripted avowed, etc etc.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Okay, good to know! I don't mind the pacing, but I do kinda wish I'd skipped yesterdays chapter (gym class 1) and just waited until the next one was out, because it was very obviously one chapter split into two.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I keep up with SS(though not on the Patreon) and the story for the last 30ish chapters is just:
boring chapter where nothing happens
boring chapter where nothing happens
kind of interesting chapter
introduce 10 new characters that may never show up again, boring chapter

Repeated over and over. It isn't badly written at all, and it is keeping me interested enough to read it(low bar), but I don't think it deserves the adulation this thread seems to give it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Wittgen posted:

An ad hominem attack is saying an argument is bad because of personal flaws of the person making it. That's not what I'm doing. I'm saying that your reading of the chapter is radically wrong about what is going on in the story, emotionally. I apologize if it came across as a personal attack.

No, an ad hominem attack is diverting an argument by stating the other debater is flawed rather than addressing the point. IE announcing how they read something with no emotional literacy, so you don't have to address why their claims are actually wrong.

And for what it's worth, you completely misread my point. I never said Vandy was right. I said I didn't think she said that because Lute's parents weren't avowed. It reads exactly like something Vandy would say to anyone in Lute's position. Haoyu later verifies that Lute usually seemed not to care, so it was surprising to him too.

And hey, after that, people start being extra nervous about talking about avowed stuff to Lute. That offends him, and he uses the fact that Kon gets nervous when Alexi asks him about selection as evidence that Kon doesn't really see him. Except they started doing it after the whole dice incident, and hey, maybe feel like talking to Lute about avowed stuff is just a minefield they don't know how to navigate. They're teenagers.

I'm not claiming Lute is a jerk here and all his classmates are angels. All I'm saying is that, from my reading, it's a lot of confusion and teenage awkwardness and I just don't see the assertion that Kon doesn't really see Lute. And if you think I'm just totally reading the emotions wrong, that's fine, but you'll have to explain what I'm getting wrong instead of just saying I am.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wittgen posted:

I'm always impressed by people's ability to read things with zero emotional literacy.

Bremen posted:

And I'm amazed at people's ability to turn what's meant as a polite internet discussion and turn it into ad hominem attacks. Fine, I feel this discussion is unwanted here, so I guess I'll drop it.

While I'm paying attention to the thread, can I ask whether this has been resolved and all players have hugged it out yet or are we going to have to fire up the Mark Twain program on the holodeck?

(A Star Trek Lower Decks reference, since I don't read SS I can't make it any more thread relevant).

Disagree all you want, but please focus on the argument not the one making it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty certain no one will care much once they're able to read all these chapters at once, because they'll no longer represent "having to wait longer to Progress." And even now, it seems like maybe 1/3 (at most) of the reader-base feels this way. Sleyca just tends to respond to reader comments a lot (a bit too much IMO, though I'm happy she's decided to "stick with the plan").

Agreed. I think it could have been trimmed a bit (I'd also say 1-2 chapters across the entire "arc") but not dramatically, and that it definitely still needed to be a single "substory" instead of spread out across various detached interludes.

I don’t care about the power progression, but I do care about the story progression. There was just a major reveal in a long-running plot thread, and then we swerved hard into an extended flashback sequence that is almost entirely unrelated to the big thing that just happened. We’re getting some relevant information, like how Lute’s mom is the personal assistant to the matriarch of the Velra clan, but those are all facts that could be revealed as part of the plot as it’s moving forward.

As awesmoe said above, this is basically a different story. It would be fine as an interlude between major arcs, but as it stands, it feels like the main story has been interrupted in favor of something entirely different.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
does anyone want to restart the exciting and fruitful "SS-posters should at this point just do their own thread" discussion yet

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Megazver posted:

does anyone want to restart the exciting and fruitful "SS-posters should at this point just do their own thread" discussion yet

look if you want to talk about whether supsup discussion should be in its own thread there's nothing stopping youf rom making a thread to talk about it

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Bremen posted:

And then he goes and responds to the people who even he admits were trying to be nice to him, who realized he was unhappy and were trying to be better but failing because he never explained what they were doing wrong, with: "You’ve never seen me before,” he said, staring into Kon’s eyes. “Maybe you’ll be able to now." That in no way describes anything Kon did, it was pure spite. So yeah, it really does read to me like Lute lashing out at innocent people, even though it makes sense given the situation.

Nah, even from the very first day Kon wasn't talking to Lute, he was being nice to the whiff because that was the most important thing about him. That became enough for Lute at the end, but that it was is in itself a tragedy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nrook posted:

This is always a false dichotomy in narrative art, I think. Pride and Prejudice can be critical of the role and constrained options of an unmarried woman in the society it depicts and still have the heroine fall in love with a hot rich guy at the end.

What are you trying to communicate? The summary of Pride and Prejudice you provide sounds the author undercutting themselves.

awesmoe posted:

fwiw im not 100% clear on what you mean by 'barely reflected' - not really examined in the text, maybe? If so I sort of disagree. The story isn't interested in challenging capitalism but it is full of instances of inequality that are clearly mentioned for you the reader to notice and go "woah thats pretty messed up in a big ol 'societies and systems' way". There's also a lot of conflict simmering that just hasnt been got to yet - globies vs locals, high ranks vs low ranks, alien haters vs happily conscripted avowed, etc etc.

That's one reading. It's certainly my reading. But at the same time I don't feel like the author has delivered on that hinted at conflict. And unless they do at some point write in scenes that establish their opinion of if it's good or bad, we're all just projecting our own biases onto the scaffolding the world-building has provided. Here's an example:

SupSup 66 posted:

Anesidora was less restrictive in some ways and more in others, but it was mostly pretty common sense when you thought about the reasons for it. Speech was free, but you couldn’t have a protest or large assembly in a public space without permits.
To me this reads as describing a society trending towards totalitarianism. Not only have they de facto removed the right to protest (if you have to ask the people you're protesting against for permission to protest then you don't have a right to protest), they've so brainwashed the population they think this is a good thing. But Sleyca hasn't yet revisited this, or any of the other Anesidoran laws, to show how they result in negative consequences. So is Sleyca laying the groundwork for a later reveal, or do they sincerely believe people shouldn't be allowed to protest without permission? I don't know.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

What are you trying to communicate? The summary of Pride and Prejudice you provide sounds the author undercutting themselves.
characters exist in a different world to authors, is kind of the point as I understand it. the characters can behave in a way that's reasonable and consistent, while responding to pressures that the audience will notice and reflect on.

LLSix posted:

That's one reading. It's certainly my reading. But at the same time I don't feel like the author has delivered on that hinted at conflict. And unless they do at some point write in scenes that establish their opinion of if it's good or bad, we're all just projecting our own biases onto the scaffolding the world-building has provided.

Here's an example:

To me this reads as describing a society trending towards totalitarianism. Not only have they de facto removed the right to protest (if you have to ask the people you're protesting against for permission to protest then you don't have a right to protest), they've so brainwashed the population they think this is a good thing. But Sleyca hasn't yet revisited this, or any of the other Anesidoran laws, to show how they result in negative consequences. So is Sleyca laying the groundwork for a later reveal, or do they sincerely believe people shouldn't be allowed to protest without permission? I don't know.
interpreting stories and deriving meaning from them is just art consumption tho. sure there are some works that will give you a happy little asterisk telling you how you should feel about something but by and large those works are garbage for children. for example, you read the quoted bit about protests and think "hang on" and, like, good! you had a thought! this is a positive outcome. probably you didnt think "in a society of superhumans all laws are unnecessary" (maybe you did, that would be remarkable) so then it prompted you to consider in some small way what an appropriate balance of personal vs collective rights would be in a situation like that. and thats neat, two sentences from the work made your life a little more interesting than something blatantly obvious like

quote:

in anesidora, all protest was illegal and that was a bad thing, because nobody had any freedom. Alden decided to put 'fight for freedom' on his to-do list.
would have.

basically, it doesnt matter what sleyca thinks, what matters is what she writes, and its up to you to respond to that (assuming the words are interesting enough to bother). she ded, the author ded.

(i want to highlight that I dont actually think the author's intent is irrelevant, 999 times out of a thousand it will be the only interesting analysis, but my point is the absence of a clear authorial intent doesnt preclude thinking about the work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

Where are you from that doesn't require permits for protesting?