Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The best part is that's already how Vader was known to have come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

In order to be cool Snoke would've either had to have been rancor big or babu frick small

Best possible joke would be for him sitting in that throne looking like he’s 10 feet tall then he hops off and has an E.T. body with his feet directly under his torso, so he’s still just slightly shorter than Rey while trying to intimidate her

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I keep coming back to this quote from him about Maul because it's very funny in hindsight.

Well, how else are you going to keep your ST villain a secret? You've gotta make the people think he's REALLY dead by giving interviews about how he's really dead!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Snoke was the Zillo Beast all along.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

2house2fly posted:

God Savage Oppress is such a great Star Wars name

Don't worry, it's pronounced "savage."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole introduction sequence for Savage Oppress is genuinely amazing. A good man is set against his friends and brothers, beaten and broken into a monstrous killing machine basically as a made-to-order package delivered to Dooku's doorstep. And then it goes on to demonstrate pretty clearly that Sith apprenticeship is flat out the cycle of abuse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

feedmyleg posted:

Don't worry, it's pronounced "savage."

His brother Feral is just pronounced Feral however.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Robot Style posted:

The outlines Lucas gave to Disney apparently had Darth Maul as the Man Behind The Curtain of the sequels. He was going to be the leader of the galactic underworld rather than the head of a bunch of Imperial cosplayers though, so it makes sense that they'd dump him and pivot to Great Value Sheev when Abrams introduced the First Order.

I forget did Solo come out before Rise of Skywalker? It had a similar Maul reveal at the end were they still planning on going with this for Rise of Skywalker when Solo was first being made?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget did Solo come out before Rise of Skywalker? It had a similar Maul reveal at the end were they still planning on going with this for Rise of Skywalker when Solo was first being made?
Solo was out before Rise of Skywalker.

Darth Talon was a part of some of the early versions of TFA but I don't know if Maul was. And given they killed him off in Rebels about a year before Solo I don't think they'd written off using him entirely well before RoS was released.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The best part is that's already how Vader was known to have come back

Vader and Grievous both got cut up really bad and came back as part robot. Vader got lit on fire too!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The is a small, microscopic part of me that believes there's another cut of Rise sitting in a hard-drive that's a Kingdom Of Heaven-level improvement, but this seems about as futile as believing in Santa or god.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The is a small, microscopic part of me that believes there's another cut of Rise sitting in a hard-drive that's a Kingdom Of Heaven-level improvement, but this seems about as futile as believing in Santa or god.

I don’t know how you can live in a timeline where the movie ‘Violent Night’ exists and still not believe in Santa. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really think ultimately the blame is squarely on Disney's c-suite overmanaging their biggest most important projects into utter incoherence and making it outright impossible to have any long-term planning when entire major plot points are thrown out or cut to pieces on a whim. They really did need someone like the MCU had with the role and authority to tell the bored failsons to gently caress off and let them make the goddamn movies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wouldn't say that the MCU was free from corporate overmanagement. They're very different franchises, though.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Filmmakers not being allowed to direct action scenes / deviate in lighting or framing style or talk to a VFX house ever / must hit mandatory quip ratio...

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Were the movies overmanaged? The way I heard it both JJ and Rian Johnson were more or less given free reign to do as they pleased.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Were the movies overmanaged? The way I heard it both JJ and Rian Johnson were more or less given free reign to do as they pleased.

I think with the ST and Solo (and even Rogue One though that still came out pretty nice in the end) it was less overmanagement for overmanagement's sake and more just the mad rush to Release A Star War Every Year without an actual overarching plan set up.

Like the MCU movies had plenty of changes during production and corporate oversight but there was still a general direction of doing movies about these characters, they get together in the Avengers flicks, etc. Even with those changes, once Avengers 1's massive success happened they still had a general points A to B going on and a template for the movies to fit in that kept it (at least up to Endgame, oops) relatively coherent compared to the ST.

Compare to the ST and especially Rise of Skywalker where even WITHIN THE SAME MOVIE poo poo is hilariously structurally busted.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 12, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

banned from Starbucks posted:

How did the hotel even work? Are cast members just standing around with a giant exclamation mark over their heads like an MMO quest giver? Do they seek you out and engage you on their own hoping they get every guest?

I went to the hotel. It was fun! Very cool at points even, with the obvious caveat that it was massively overpriced (I got to go for free so I'm not influenced by sunk cost here). Honestly the gripes about "lack of windows" or whatever are asinine. If you're going to the hotel you do not give a poo poo about looking out your window. There is an outdoor section of the hotel if you really want fresh air, and theres an excursion down to Galaxy's Edge on your second day so its not like you're cooped up the entire time. You can even leave whenever you want, its not a prison lol. If you need to run to the store you can go ahead. As for making it work in a 4-5 day vacation, thats pretty easy? You just plan to do the hotel for 2 days? You leave in the early morning on day 3. How are you people planning vacations?

The hotel itself was nice, I did not mind the look and feel of the rooms they were very star warsy, but the only time I really spent in there was when I went to sleep. The thing that is very close to working spectacularly but kind of falls short in areas is that there are ALWAYS characters walking around doing stuff. If you are outgoing and personable you can mix it up with all of the characters and they were very strong improvisers so you'd likely have a blast. I was leaning against a wall in the main lobby drinking just hanging out waiting for my sister to get ready and the smuggler guy came up and shot the poo poo with me. I wasn't in his storyline but knew what was going on so we were talking about his heist on the down low. Probably just spent like 10 minutes chatting but it was cool. The actors are pretty good at telling who is game and who just wants to enjoy the scenery. The actual story story stuff is as people said, controlled by the app, and allows you to get invited to special events with any of the characters.

Theres Rebel, Empire, Smuggler, Jedi, and Romance events. Rebel has you doing stuff with Chewie or the Captain. Empire has to palling around with the first order commander guy (the actor who did this at our show was great and he was having a blast with all the kids). Smuggler gets you in with Gaya's (the dinner show singer) manager and Gaya. Jedi is with Rey. Romance is with the rodian musician and a guitar playing alien guy. The hotel has spaces reserved for activities. These are vaguely star wars looking areas with not overly complex gadgets you can mess around with. there are also secret rooms that only open for these secret events that are just different spaces to meet with the characters. They're mostly excuses to bullshit with the actors and do your LARPy storyline stuff. I view them as probably 60% of what an actual LARP might entail, but 100% fun for children.

One of the events has the Jedi + Rebel faction sneak Rey onto the ship, and you have to go with her across the entire hotel while avoiding the first order and stormtroopers. So you get the kids all excited about the "danger element" and have them work out ways to distract the stormtroopers & first order dope. It was cute! If you're a kid who likes Rey you're basically getting to play with rey for a few hours which could be worth the price. There stuff like that for everyone. The first order lil nazi loving kids got to go around and do inspections with the officer guy. I'm sure they loved that. There are also a couple of big "show" moments. Its also interesting in that theres stuff happening all the time but you cant possibly see all of it so you're incentivized to come back.

My sister and I went and we mostly just hung out and did some loose RP and we ended up getting pulled into the "Romance" storyline, which is not on the app, but its about the guitar player and the rodian musician chick falling in love. We hung out with the guitar guy in the bar multiple times for a few hours just shooting the poo poo and giving him love advice and helping him write a song for the alien lady and then he sang the song we all (there was 5 of us in this group) helped write at the last dinner which was honestly pretty sweet. As far as personal interactions go it was pretty intimate and seemed a lot more bang for the buck than the Rey/Chewie ones which had much more people participating. The bar is nice and the drinks were pretty good so I didnt mind getting poo poo faced in star wars outfit while helping a guy try to bang a rodian jizz-wailer.

That entire storyline thing ended up giving me some pretty great memories of the trip, and was my favorite thing besides the excursion to galaxy's edge. We obviously went in full attire and because we were in the hotel they give you special treatment so we basically got fast passes to both the rides and the all the other attraction stuff (guaranteed reservations at all the shops + oga's cantina). Lots of people commented on our outfits and asked for pictures, and while at a communal table in Oga's Cantina my sister and I were talking to some kids sitting near us and just going full RP on them and they were losing their minds. The parents thanked us after because their day had been going lovely and we helped turn it around. I also got arrested by stormtroopers and paraded around which was fun too.

Now is it good that my second favorite memory of the trip is ultimately unrelated to the hotel? Probably not lol But the other stuff was fine! The food was good.

I think the lessons Disney should take from the hotel is that there is a market for something close to immersive. They could just make a normal rear end hotel but give me a larp-esque restaurant and some bars and I'll spend all the money they want. I already have to pay like 15 dollars for craft cocktails where I live I'll pay 20 if you put them in a star wars cantina. At the price point they were giving for the hotel it probably should have been around 2000-2500, if they wanted to keep the price as is they needed a lot more amenities.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

From what I heard people who went tended to love it but the big problem was it wasn't really a repeatable experience. You do it once, have great memories from it, but don't feel the need to do the same thing again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Colonel Cool posted:

From what I heard people who went tended to love it but the big problem was it wasn't really a repeatable experience. You do it once, have great memories from it, but don't feel the need to do the same thing again.

That’s the beauty of it, they charge you so much that you can’t afford to do it again! :shepspends:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Colonel Cool posted:

They really missed the boat on this hotel because its such a good concept. The hotel itself is also stuck in the Pre-TROS post-TLJ era of star wars which is ... a weird time. I thought it'd be cool if they did different time period cruises. So you could have prequel era, OT era, sequel era, mando era, high republic (since the ship is that old) and have different actors and characters and storylines for the eras. If it was cheaper and had that you'd have a great product. The actors really did an amazing job and the staff were all super nice and into the star wars stuff too.

Too bad its dead forever because they need to collect the tax write off

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Extra row of tits posted:

The thing is:

This isn’t what they wanted. Yes the movies made huge profits, but the idea was “Make movies which will drive merchandise, park, tv, and future movie sales”

what they got was “Movies that made huge profits (which diminished hugely between films) while completely destroying the fan base, killing all interest in offshoot projects, parks, merchandise and movies”.

They cooked and ate the golden goose instead of letting it lay eggs.

I don't know, they've slowed or cut down the amount of projects coming out but I don't think it's anywhere near over, unfortunately. I could be wrong, I haven't looked into it very closely :shrug:

I would love to see Disney bake this bird to a permanent end, would serve them right for all crap they put out and corporatist monopoly shenanigans and so on

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just listened to the AMCA podcast about their trip to the hotel and reading the impressions here after not really knowing anything about it. It just sounds like such an ambitious and unique undertaking, I would have loved to have experienced it and taken my kids there.

It's pretty understandable from the outside why it failed, or at least, failed to make the sorts of profits that would keep the lights on. It's clearly something hyper specific that not everyone would be into. I would have a drat hard time convincing my partner or any of my friends to engage with any sort of interactive theatre, especially with the price tag.

Hopefully they're able to repurpose the idea into something a bit more salvageable, as I'd love to do something like that for a big holiday one year. Sounds like they'll just destroy it all though :(.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Jerkface posted:

They really missed the boat on this hotel because its such a good concept. The hotel itself is also stuck in the Pre-TROS post-TLJ era of star wars which is ... a weird time. I thought it'd be cool if they did different time period cruises. So you could have prequel era, OT era, sequel era, mando era, high republic (since the ship is that old) and have different actors and characters and storylines for the eras. If it was cheaper and had that you'd have a great product. The actors really did an amazing job and the staff were all super nice and into the star wars stuff too.

Too bad its dead forever because they need to collect the tax write off

They are really doubling down on the Sequel Era, I'm curious to see how it goes for them. Obviously there's a lot of hate for the sequels on 'The Internet' but I wonder if that will translate to consumer indifference. I guess we'll see when the Rey movie comes out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anecdotal, I know, but I only know 1.5 people who liked TROS and I'm the person who half-liked it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's no use burying our heads in the sand, there is a star wars 9 liker contingent. This is an old video at this point but actually the audience score has held steady

(Timestamped for the relevant part)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMM33uHAo8&t=1690s

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I hope they bring back an even more decrepit McDarmid for the next trilogy

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I could not stay at the star wars hotel, the thought that the staff all have to be committed to the fictitious concept at all times stresses me out. Like, are they "forced" to stay in character even when dealing with real problems brought to them by the world's vacationing population? Is the housekeeping staff in character? Does anyone ever have to clean poo poo off of a wall and then turn around and offer the next clue in Dengar's Adventure? Horrible.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Halloween Jack posted:

Anecdotal, I know, but I only know 1.5 people who liked TROS and I'm the person who half-liked it.

There are dozens of us!

I fully enjoy the ST, but in a perverted way: I like them because of how bad they are

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

FunkyAl posted:

I could not stay at the star wars hotel, the thought that the staff all have to be committed to the fictitious concept at all times stresses me out. Like, are they "forced" to stay in character even when dealing with real problems brought to them by the world's vacationing population? Is the housekeeping staff in character? Does anyone ever have to clean poo poo off of a wall and then turn around and offer the next clue in Dengar's Adventure? Horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQogtTl2oNE

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

what happens when someone suckerpunches an imperial. what happens when someone shits themselves at the dejarik table. what happens when they run out of blue drinks. what happens when a key staff member is sick. what happens when there's a power outage.

i am fascinated by this terrible hotel

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
When you gently caress one of the Ugnaughts at the Star Wars hotel do they scream in ecstasy in Ugnaught or in English?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

well why not posted:

what happens when someone suckerpunches an imperial. what happens when someone shits themselves at the dejarik table. what happens when they run out of blue drinks. what happens when a key staff member is sick. what happens when there's a power outage.

i am fascinated by this terrible hotel

The normal staff are allowed to act like regular human beings, especially when helping. Just like Galaxy's Edge they will give you some "in character" assistance first but if that doesnt work they just tell you in plain english. The people who are serving drinks / food will play star warsy but are otherwise just service workers doing normal service work. The house keeping staff won't really bother you.

The people who spend the most time in character are the actors who play the storyline people and the staff that helps run the storyline events (like the Jedi teachers). If one of them is sick their understudy would presumably take over. The actors play different characters so for example on my cruise there was the guy playing the smuggler band manager, but he was the first order officer on another cruise. There were multiple minstrel guitarist actors and Gayas, etc.

They will never run out of blue drinks.

If you punch a staff member you'll probably get kicked out just like any sane attraction.

Sick people get treated like anyone would at a normal sane establishment, theres a medical guest services area and if its serious they'd go to the hospital or whatever.

Its just a hotel guys, its not the Cube from Cube

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

When you gently caress one of the Ugnaughts at the Star Wars hotel do they scream in ecstasy in Ugnaught or in English?

"UWAAHUURRRRGGGHHHHHHI

I have spoken."

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jerkface posted:

The normal staff are allowed to act like regular human beings, especially when helping. Just like Galaxy's Edge they will give you some "in character" assistance first but if that doesnt work they just tell you in plain english. The people who are serving drinks / food will play star warsy but are otherwise just service workers doing normal service work. The house keeping staff won't really bother you.

The people who spend the most time in character are the actors who play the storyline people and the staff that helps run the storyline events (like the Jedi teachers). If one of them is sick their understudy would presumably take over. The actors play different characters so for example on my cruise there was the guy playing the smuggler band manager, but he was the first order officer on another cruise. There were multiple minstrel guitarist actors and Gayas, etc.

They will never run out of blue drinks.

If you punch a staff member you'll probably get kicked out just like any sane attraction.

Sick people get treated like anyone would at a normal sane establishment, theres a medical guest services area and if its serious they'd go to the hospital or whatever.

Its just a hotel guys, its not the Cube from Cube

If I cut off somebody's arm, will I be allowed to return to the bar?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

FunkyAl posted:

If I cut off somebody's arm, will I be allowed to return to the bar?

If you mess with a ponda baba you mess with me, and I've got the death sentence in 12 systems

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

can I get hosed up on death sticks and crash a speeder into the creche

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

well why not posted:

can I get hosed up on death sticks and crash a speeder into the creche

Probably once.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The obvious problem of the Star Wars Sequel Hotel is that it’s ‘fun’, when everyday life for the characters of Star Wars is largely mundane and even tedious. The movies just elide that stuff with, y’know, editing (or just not writing those scenes in in the first place).

A Star Wars hotel/motel appeared onscreen in Andor, and there was nothing particularly zany or action-packed about it. So it would have been sufficient to make a regular-rear end hotel with retrofuturistic architecture and weird fixtures. Like, let guests pay slightly-higher-than-normal prices to use the space-shower and take a poo poo in a ‘refresher’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

FunkyAl posted:

I could not stay at the star wars hotel, the thought that the staff all have to be committed to the fictitious concept at all times stresses me out. Like, are they "forced" to stay in character even when dealing with real problems brought to them by the world's vacationing population?

In short, no. If you make it clear that you're not playing along they'll drop it. I was at Galaxy's Edge with a friend looking for where you go to do the Build-A-Lightsaber, so we asked one of the custodians.

"Oh, well that sounds like Jedi stuff. I don't know anything about that, it's all a bunch of legends and stories."
"Thanks for the immersion, but could you actually be helpful?"
"Yeah, it's on the other side of that building there, just follow the path around and you'll see the check-in station."