Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only Kickstarter (possible/probably) fail I've had is a nixie tube clock radio. I think they truly got hosed by the pandemic and still have been trying to make it work. They shipped all the parts to China for cheaper assembly and now half the comments are "I backed this because it was MADE IN AMERICA. REFUND ME NOW!!!" ... I'll just be happy if I ever get anything out of it. Been so many years.

I've had some really great gadgets come out of it.

But probably my favourite one, which exceeded all my expectations, is Bloodstained. Just rebought it even from that crazy Fantatical deal because it's nice to have a PC copy on top of PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Torment:Tides of Whateverthefuck is the only game I can think of that’s a complete disappointment that I’m also glad I played. Like, it’s underwhelming as hell in a lot of ways but it’s also kind of cool too.

I agree. I don't remember much about the plot, but I thought the game was pretty good and I liked the far future setting. I'm known for being indulgent with CRPGs, though.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you approach Tides of Numenera like a big old writer jam with a bunch of wild ideas riding together rather than expecting the cohesive pointed literary experience of Planescape then it's a fun time. It's not a bad game just not a cohesive one and with plenty of good stuff to enjoy.

It's substantially better than the Black Isle equivalent Lionheart (in terms of where it fits in it's era).

All my crowdfunded games:
Poe 1 and 2
Double Fine Adventure
Wasteland 2
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Obduction
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Frog Fractions 2
Pop-Up Dungeon
Cultist Simulator
Mask of the Rose: a Fallen London romance
Aces and Adventures
Perfect Tides: Station to Station

Which I think is a pretty good hit rate for good and delivered games.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 11, 2023

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

No Wave posted:

What would the justification be for pulling it? Game is bad?

It is actually delisted now, you can't buy it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
How does refunding on steam work? Does steam give the person their money back and then send a bill to the dev? Or just remove it from whatever they were gojng to pay them if the payment hadn't been sent yet.

And actually how do game payments work, I imagine it's not sent over for every transaction, but just deposited in a lump sum on some regular date or something?

So did they walk away with any money yet? If not then it wasn't a successful scam I guess

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Resdfru posted:

How does refunding on steam work? Does steam give the person their money back and then send a bill to the dev? Or just remove it from whatever they were gojng to pay them if the payment hadn't been sent yet.

And actually how do game payments work, I imagine it's not sent over for every transaction, but just deposited in a lump sum on some regular date or something?

So did they walk away with any money yet? If not then it wasn't a successful scam I guess

They pay the dev out at the end of each month. You refunding just makes Valve give you back the money you gave them, the dev isn't involved there.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

The Rogue Trader game is really loving good, y'all.

Sab669 posted:

:yeah:

My first few hours felt a bit slow and uninteresting, but I've really warmed up to it after sticking it out past the first session and a half. I feel like Chaos Gate and other strategy/XCOM-ish 40K games often feel a little too hard for me, I feel like this game tends to lean more towards the "power fantasy" aspect of things and I really enjoy it. Your squad can just mow down multiple dudes like nothing. Lots of options for character builds, and the general writing is at least entertaining enough to me.

gotta concur with this, its been a good distraction while I've been sick the last couple of days (and, relatedly, it's been good on my steam deck)

several aspects compare especially well to Owlcats Pathfinder games I think - i.e. no crazy pre-buffing routines and timers to care about, a (contextually) sensible and satisfying approach to the "huge piles of trash loot" issue, they managed to let support classes get in on the power fantasy and feel just as disgustingly powerful as anything else, etc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orv posted:

Lmfao I had no idea of the legacy of The Day Before devs, I thought they were just some rando scammers but no, they literally list themselves here as the devs of not one but five games that were dropped half finished and never completed. loving incredible.

E: Wild Eight is straight up listed as another developer entirely and published by someone else, Dead Dozen has been removed from sale for basically being a scam, Radiant One just seems bad and uninteresting and Propnite is also listed under another dev and publisher though it at least also has "Fntastic" in the name.
While there's some audacity in claiming those titles, as far as I can tell they aren't lying about having made the games. The Wild Eight was their first Kickstarter while they were still under the name 8 Points (now Eight Points?), but after development petered out they sold the rights to HypeTrain Digital and rebranded. You can even look at the steamdb history, they only just changed the Developer listings in the last day (the previous change was 3 years ago).
https://steamdb.info/app/526160/history/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really liked Owlcat's previous game, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, but only because of it's writing. I felt like the loving D&D-rear end combat in it was a horrible chore. Yet I kept playing (and replay) the game because I found the story and characters to be really appealing.

With Rogue Trader the writing quality seems to be similar to what I liked in Wrath but the combat is actually smooth and fun this time.
No loving Vancian casting. No pre-buffing. Minimal inventory management that streamlines trash collecting. Just smooth dungeon crawling with fun combat that gives you that power fantasy right from the start while also being challenging enough to be stimulating.

I'm having a ton of fun with the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Just realized I'm in no position to judge. I backed a CRPG called Realms Beyond on Kickstarter years and years ago. They released a statement a while back, basically saying that the project was abandoned, but not before having given out Steam keys to backers. The result is that I now have a game in my Steam library that does not exist and will never be released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/762550/Realms_Beyond_Ashes_of_the_Fallen/

Was this the one that had a couple gold box developers on it? It seemed like they had a fair bit of development done so that’s a shame. I did think they started chasing some 3d features that seemed unnecessary. As long as the UI doesn’t suck everything else can be retro 2d.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

As long as the UI doesn’t suck everything else can be retro 2d.

I have bad news about the kind of people that make retro 2D games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All the talk about Rogue Trader really makes me wish I could get into Warhammer but it's just so fashy in a way I've never really been able to enjoy.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

I really liked Owlcat's previous game, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, but only because of it's writing. I felt like the loving D&D-rear end combat in it was a horrible chore. Yet I kept playing (and replay) the game because I found the story and characters to be really appealing.

With Rogue Trader the writing quality seems to be similar to what I liked in Wrath but the combat is actually smooth and fun this time.
No loving Vancian casting. No pre-buffing. Minimal inventory management that streamlines trash collecting. Just smooth dungeon crawling with fun combat that gives you that power fantasy right from the start while also being challenging enough to be stimulating.

I'm having a ton of fun with the game.

Hmm, that's actually starting to sound quite tempting. I want to like CRPGs, especially this one with the whole scifi theming, but I typically just feel so bogged down by turn-based combat and so many options, sidequests, and micro-management that I was planning on passing this over. If this is something a bit more "lite", akin to, say, Dragon Age Origins, Tower of Time, XCOM Chimera Squad, or Tyranny, then I'll add it to the wishlist. Unless, of course, you're saying that it may be lighter (lite-er?) but not THAT lite, haha!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never played another game by the devs. But yea I love that many of my buffs last for the entire encounter. Or things with a "cooldown" may as well just read "Once per turn" for the most part.

Hasn't crashed for me yet, though I've seen some report that in the actual thread. Though I had to reload a save once when my guy stuck in combat.

Mild "jank" to the controls/UI but pretty tolerable IMO. Would recommend to anyone on the fence so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

All the talk about Rogue Trader really makes me wish I could get into Warhammer but it's just so fashy in a way I've never really been able to enjoy.

Verhoeven’s syndrome right there. It’s a parody of fascist aesthetics but it does it well enough that it’s kind of hard to tell. A few years ago some alt-right dude made some kind of weird racist or anti-LGBTQ stink and Games Workshop put out an excellent message that Warhammer is for everyone.

This isn’t even the message I was thinking of (Google “warhammer is for everyone” for that one) but it’s very much not fashy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A few years ago some alt-right dude made some kind of weird racist or anti-LGBTQ stink

That's putting it lightly. I don't remember the full details off the top of my head but former?-goon hosted podcast The 40K Badcast did an episode titled "Nazihams, gently caress off" that went into detail on the guy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There were two incidents, the one with massive shitstain Arch and the other a few years back with the Nazi cosplayer at a WH40k tournament in Spain

FutureCop posted:

Hmm, that's actually starting to sound quite tempting. I want to like CRPGs, especially this one with the whole scifi theming, but I typically just feel so bogged down by turn-based combat and so many options, sidequests, and micro-management that I was planning on passing this over. If this is something a bit more "lite", akin to, say, Dragon Age Origins, Tower of Time, XCOM Chimera Squad, or Tyranny, then I'll add it to the wishlist. Unless, of course, you're saying that it may be lighter (lite-er?) but not THAT lite, haha!

Make no mistake, the Rogue Trader system is quite simpler than Pathfinder because PF is an absolute behemoth of a system. In comparison to something a bit more simpler like Baldur's Gate 3, Rogue Trader will feel considerably more complex.

If Pathfinder is OG XCom, Rogue Trader is any of the The Long War mods to BG3's Enemy Unknown

Azran fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 12, 2023

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

That's putting it lightly. I don't remember the full details off the top of my head but former?-goon hosted podcast The 40K Badcast did an episode titled "Nazihams, gently caress off" that went into detail on the guy.

I didn’t remember the specifics enough to say it was a straight up Nazi but they probably were. GW’s response was top notch though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The current “problem” with Warhammer 40k is that it’s getting more popular so you need something for people to latch onto and the Imperium has always been the center of the universe. So they are the default and while you occasionally get small moments within other stories about what the Imperium actually does it’s mostly just big hero moments in the name of the God Emperor against the vile xenos and heretic.

Its still a fun place to play a game in and while it isn’t a universe that exists to be interrogated outside of some very specific stories the non-stop reverence of the theocratic fascism from almost everyone you play as can be a bit much.

Now if the Orks became the main characters, that’s a change I could 100% get behind.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 12, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Unfortunately Warhammer has to be grimdark, no funguys allowed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have you considered the good word of Chaos?

Slaneesh: Will put tits, dicks, and claws on whatever you want.
Tzeentch: Mystery box could be anything. It could even be a boat!
Khorne: You get to help build a very cool lawn chair.
Nurgle: Spread your loving grandfather's most jubilant of gifts.

All they ask is you go kill some of those fascist Imperials.

And yea, Orks are great too.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Azran posted:

Make no mistake, the Rogue Trader system is quite simpler than Pathfinder because PF is an absolute behemoth of a system. In comparison to something a bit more simpler like Baldur's Gate 3, Rogue Trader will feel considerably more complex.

If Pathfinder is OG XCom, Rogue Trader is any of the The Long War mods to BG3's Enemy Unknown

Ah, ok, that's what I thought might be the case. Well, I'll keep an eye on it anyway in case I get into the mood for something that deep!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing that makes me hesitate to try out Rogue Trader is that I hear it has quite a few bugs, which I think was an issue with all of Owlcats games. I think I would be fine waiting for a bit of that is the case.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So far it's been one of the more bug free crpgs I've played at release. Definitely way better than Owlcat's previous two games and any of Obsidian's crpgs. Not sure where I'd place it compared to BG3 as a lot of my BG3 issues were multiplayer related and I haven't touched it in RT (as I expect it to be janky).

Though you do have to always expect bugs in these sprawling crpgs which is just an inevitable part of their insane complexity especially on the later acts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Owlcat games also go into bundles and on pretty deep discounts if you don’t intend to play it right away.

Unrelated to that, I started playing CrossCode and drat, this is really fun. I hear the puzzles get a bit out of hand but I think I’m ok with that. I probably should have tried this one sooner.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

as far as I'm concerned orkz are absolutely da center of da 40k universe

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm having way more fun with Rogue Trader than I did with BG3 but mechanics-dense CRPGs are entirely my jam

Virtually no bugs, too. BG3 was extremely buggy at release in comparison, IMO

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

Owlcat games also go into bundles and on pretty deep discounts if you don’t intend to play it right away.

Unrelated to that, I started playing CrossCode and drat, this is really fun. I hear the puzzles get a bit out of hand but I think I’m ok with that. I probably should have tried this one sooner.

I wanted to like CrossCode but I could not take the writing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm reading Computer Gaming World magazine from 1982 and I thought this was interesting:

in 30~ years nothing has changed :allears:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

in 30~ years nothing has changed :allears:

1982 was 41 years ago.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ALI BABA and the INTELLIVISION FOOTBALL sounds like a great game

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If it helps, I often find 40K stuff leans a bit too hard on the fasch, but this is the first that's actually taken that step back and says "you realize this is all super hosed right.".

And then gives you a lot of the tools to fix it. I've gone the "good" path up to Act 4 and it seems to be heading in such a way that the rest of the galaxy is turbo hosed but my little corner is alright.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, the trappings of being a Rogue Trader lend themselves really well to being able to tell the fascist Imperium's rules and traditions to go gently caress themselves - you're one of very few people in the galaxy who is allowed to supersede the majority of the Imperium's ways. It's the first time I can think of where you can legitimately be the Archetypical Good Guy in a WH40k game and it entirely makes sense in-universe.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

deep dish peat moss posted:

ALI BABA and the INTELLIVISION FOOTBALL sounds like a great game
Ali Baba and the Forty Footballers.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Against the Storm any good? I have a lot of nostalgia for the base building phase of Warcraft 3 from 20+ years ago. I don't really have any experience playing city builders or Civ or anything like that though, just RTS games from back in the day

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Looked up ZORK II and I agree with the guy saying it needs better graphics.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Looked up ZORK II and I agree with the guy saying it needs better graphics.

Don't you really feel like you're in a Barrow from that screenshot?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Don't you really feel like you're in a Barrow from that screenshot?

I don't know the word 'don't.'

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

biceps crimes posted:

Against the Storm any good? I have a lot of nostalgia for the base building phase of Warcraft 3 from 20+ years ago. I don't really have any experience playing city builders or Civ or anything like that though, just RTS games from back in the day

It's great, we have a thread for it where we discuss a lot of specifics if you were interested but it's not really a city builder per se, like you do build towns but you're doing it repeatedly from the start while incrementally unlocking better buildings as permanent upgrades. It feels closer to warcraft than cities skylines as far as the building goes. It's also on gamepass if you happen to have that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

It's great, we have a thread for it where we discuss a lot of specifics if you were interested but it's not really a city builder per se, like you do build towns but you're doing it repeatedly from the start while incrementally unlocking better buildings as permanent upgrades. It feels closer to warcraft than cities skylines as far as the building goes. It's also on gamepass if you happen to have that!

ooh, didn't realize there's a thread, I'll check it out