Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Tiny Myers posted:

I've never cared for Franklin's Demise - another one of those "I respect it but prefer not to use it" things. It can feel a little mean spirited, though part of it I think is that most of the people I run into with it are acting kind of rude in other ways, e.g. tunneling and facecamping type behavior, so I just associate it with that on some level.

Some of my favorite Trapper games are when I bring Franklin's Demise. Immediately after knocking a flashlight out of Claudette's hand I'll put a trap on top of it. Bill's medkit just hit the floor? Trapped! If I'm feeling especially saucy I'll trap a flashlight, then lay out a minefield of traps around the bear trapped beemer.

Sometimes the Survivors ignore their trapped possessions. More often they'll get into the spirit of my game and try to rescue the item, making for a really fun distraction from the usual game of DbD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've been jumpscared by Michaels and a Pig all day. Gotta say all the games I've played since I've come back have been really fun. Haven't escaped today, but they've been fun, lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm starting to really like no regression/all endgame Rancor builds. Sure, slam those gens, I'm just over here waiting for you to smack into No Way Out and then the fun starts :v:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rancor endgame builds with zero regression are what I run 80% of the time. It's super fun to play without worrying about regression - just practice chases during the generator phase of the game, then have a really intense and fun endgame. If you had fun with the survivors in the generator phase of the game, the survivors will sometimes teabag your victim in the middle of the mori animation.

Another reason to go with zero regression builds is that they tend to last just 10 minutes. If you're playing ten minute games (as opposed to 15 or 20 minute games) you'll earn XP and rift fragments at the fastest possible rate.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bitch of the day: Devour Hope is the worst designed perk in the game. It either does nothing or is an auto-win. It's like BHVR said "You know that gameplay loop we designed? What if all that poo poo went out the window and was replaced with 'did the survivors find a random totem or not?'"

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I've been playing Smerchant as my new "chill out and don't care" killer since Freddy got nerfed recently and my god her real power is making survivors give up. I'll set up a single drone and survivors trip over themselves to see who can suicide on hook first. I don't get it? She's not particularly powerful and she certainly can't hold a 3gen like she used to (and I'm not even trying.)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I had someone DC literally at the end of the game as I was carrying them to the exit. Uhhhhh okay. Not sure if that still zeroes your points if a bot replaces you (it doesn't appear to according to the end screen) but what was the point

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

curiousTerminal posted:

I've been playing Smerchant as my new "chill out and don't care" killer since Freddy got nerfed recently and my god her real power is making survivors give up. I'll set up a single drone and survivors trip over themselves to see who can suicide on hook first. I don't get it? She's not particularly powerful and she certainly can't hold a 3gen like she used to (and I'm not even trying.)

Same reason people still DC/act like assholes against killers like Freddy and Legion despite the fact that neither of them have been a problem for years*. This game's survivor community is very, very stupid and will always believe pre-existing biases and groupthink over actual facts in front of their noses, e.g. "the killer is obviously a toxic piece of poo poo because killers always are" despite every shred of evidence pointing to the idea they're not and the killer very obviously letting them and their friends go and memeing around, etc.

(*Yes, I know there are ways to make legion games boring and arduous, but why do I get a million more DCers/people giving up against Legion than I do against Wraith when pretty much every Wraith game I've ever had has made me wish I'd DCed instantly and is infinitely more miserable than Legion ever is? I can be playing Legion on a survivor-favored map like Badham with 0 slowdown perks and I'll still get people slapping the DC button as soon as they get hit with a single Frenzy.)

Killer bad and unfun once therefore killer bad and unfun forever, or perhaps killer bad because Reddit/my favorite streamers/my friends complain about them therefore I also think they're poo poo. No room in skull for objective thought, only teabags and tiktok compilations.

DeathChicken posted:

I had someone DC literally at the end of the game as I was carrying them to the exit. Uhhhhh okay. Not sure if that still zeroes your points if a bot replaces you (it doesn't appear to according to the end screen) but what was the point
Either a legit DC or someone throwing for rank, I guess. In that case I don't know why not DC at the start then... maybe they got pissed/humiliated that the killer was showing them mercy.

You do lose all your points regardless of how long you've been playing the match if you DC, yeah - even if it shows the bot as having gotten points, a DC instantly forfeits anything you had in that match, any archive/daily progress, etc.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 11, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1734264320580518106?s=20

Predicitions -

Take a shot every time they answer a question with "That's a good question" or "We're looking into that" or "It's something we want to do but I don't have any updates for you"

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Tiny Myers posted:

(*Yes, I know there are ways to make legion games boring and arduous, but why do I get a million more DCers/people giving up against Legion than I do against Wraith when pretty much every Wraith game I've ever had has made me wish I'd DCed instantly and is infinitely more miserable than Legion ever is? I can be playing Legion on a survivor-favored map like Badham with 0 slowdown perks and I'll still get people slapping the DC button as soon as they get hit with a single Frenzy.)

Legion is the worst killer in the game and nothing will make me think otherwise. :colbert: Any killer who's primary strategy is to slow the game to a crawl is maddening.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Am I the only one getting a lot more killers just shaking their head at me while they slug me/stare at me on the hook? I'm not very good at this game, nor do I do anything like head on abuse/flashlight clicking, whatever. I don't understand.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Am I the only one getting a lot more killers just shaking their head at me while they slug me/stare at me on the hook? I'm not very good at this game, nor do I do anything like head on abuse/flashlight clicking, whatever. I don't understand.

It happened to me in about 4 of the last 7 matches I played. I take it as an attempt to communicate to me and I either flap my arms back at them or mooncrawl away from them in response. Definitely happening more often than I normally see it though right now.

Also, am I hallucinating or did BHVR stealth update Nemesis? I went to use a syringe today and instead of the reused healing animation there was an actual syringe use animation with an appropriate sound and everything. Did I miss that in some patch notes or something?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Also, am I hallucinating or did BHVR stealth update Nemesis? I went to use a syringe today and instead of the reused healing animation there was an actual syringe use animation with an appropriate sound and everything. Did I miss that in some patch notes or something?

It was added in the Chucky PTB but not in the patch notes there, then they put it in the patch notes for the live release (but not in the "changes since ptb" section because it WAS present there)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Why in the world have people been saying Boil Over needs a nerf over on reddit??? I've been running it for two days and it's only actually had value one time. Granted I never got RPD which seems to be a sticking point but it's such a situational perk. Like...extremely. E2: Except when the survivor is looping a second story for the drop bonus; I can see that being a little much, even if it makes sense.

E: I don't get the Distortion complaints either. So you don't like when your aura reading perk doesn't work on every survivor? Less situational because aura reading seems to be part of the meta now but that just makes Distortion make even more sense, right?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 12, 2023

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

If I run across an unexpected Boil Over (pick up a dude, see the red horsey, see no hooks nearby, panic) I'll drop the dude and hover in the area, expecting a self pickup. If I pick up someone who is a committed Boil Over Extreme player, someone that is playing in a way that makes it almost impossible for me to hook, I'll often slug and camp the slug while they bleed out. It's not a winning strategy, but it is satisfying.

I guess the only other time I'd slug and camp is if a single Survivor were being a jerk to their fellow survivors. I did that once when I caught a dude hiding in lockers the whole game. That was also satisfying.

Certain players have always been jerks when hooking people. I'm not a fan of shaking my head at hooked players or hitting them on the hook. If they gave a good chase I'll sometimes nod once before taking off. If they did really well I'll nod my head a few times, then stand next to them so they can self unhook.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Distortion's problem is that it will functionally never run out if you're anywhere near the killer (or like, anywhere on the map if it's Gideon's), and getting to erase your scratch marks whenever it pops is really honkin strong

Boil Over's problem is that you're either running it normally and it's going to do nothing, or you're intending to be a jackass with it and stay on the top floor of Crotus for the entire match, there is no in between

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've never had much issue with Distortion but I usually play M&A Myers or Distressing Wesker :frogdunce:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Distortion is a really good perk and it's seeing a lot of use at the moment but I don't think it needs a nerf?? The only major problem with the perk is that it kinda fucks over your teammates if the killer is over-reliant on auras to find people, and even then there are other forms of aura denial in the game that are arguably stronger (off the record, for one).
I'm actually at the point where I don't think survivors need any more perk nerfs, except for Adrenaline (and my complaint with it is very minor, I just was a short delay before activation that makes its presence known to the killer. Like 5 seconds of broken or something) I'd rather them tweak the poo poo perks to be more fun or useful. There just isn't any perk on survivor that is Insanely Strong to the point it warps the meta around it right now. I certainly don't take less aura reading to combat distortion, for instance.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Make distortion also work against survivor aura reading perks, and it's fine.

Something like bond counts as -1 use for the whole map so that it can't be abused by trolling teammates.

tbh distortion is mostly fine, I just think it interacts really weirdly with scratched mirror, seems like you should be able to drain it fast, but nope.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My main issue with Adrenaline is having survivors come off the hook healthy and with a speed boost. It's a bit much.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

My main issue with Adrenaline is having survivors come off the hook healthy and with a speed boost. It's a bit much.

I feel like Adrenaline is a good example of the problem I talked about before, and something that is often missing from discussions of balance: just because something is technically balanced (doesn't meaningfully affect K/D ratios compared to other available perks) doesn't mean it's fun. Game health isn't just about whether something is balanced, but whether it feels good to play. Though devs are often hesitant to axe features entirely, games can and have absolutely been meaningfully improved by removing or drastically reworking features rather than trying to give them little tweaks that preserve their identity.

A great example is Mei from Overwatch, a character capable of slowing and freezing characters, often resulting in you standing there frozen completely solid for a few seconds while she calmly shoots an icicle into your dome. I don't know how it is nowadays, but when I played, Mei was never particularly overpowered or meta in high tier competitive play... and yet I constantly saw insane amounts of vitriol for her specifically, violent loathing and resentment, because slowly losing control of your character and being forced to watch helplessly as they carefully aim at your forehead is not fun for anyone. Effects like stuns and slows are often just intrinsically unfun design because it feels bad on a psychological level to lose control of one's character in a game, no matter how you try to "balance" around them. It's why things like i-frames exist.

I believe the reason why a perk like Adrenaline is both contentious and hard to balance is because it really isn't that overpowered, ultimately. You're already sacrificing an entire perk slot for something that might not even benefit you half the time. Like maybe Deep Wound eats your Adrenaline, or you're Broken, or you waste half your speed boost running into a tree, or you were already healed and across the map anyway, or maybe you don't even make it to the end of the match to begin with. If you made it any weaker, it probably wouldn't be worth taking.

But the fact remains that even if it's already "balanced" (no significant effect on W/L ratio), it is incredibly unfun and demoralizing to have the final gen pop (already a "oh gently caress, I've lost/I'm about to lose" psychological signal to many killers) and see multiple people instantly go from injured to healthy, deleting any remaining pressure you had, especially if you were mid-chase with a tough target. It's a perk I've personally seen cause a lot of killers to give up or DC for that reason, and if you watch any high rank killer e.g. Otzdarva you'll be well-familiar with the bone-deep sigh they let out when they see 3 adrens go off at the same time.

Some perks are just designed in a way where it would ultimately be healthier for the game if they were removed or reworked entirely. No amount of delays or tweaking the numbers will change that a free endgame insta-heal is gonna feel bad, especially when it's so meta that you're likely to see multiple go off at the same time at higher ranks.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 12, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

A great example is Mei from Overwatch, a character capable of slowing and freezing characters, often resulting in you standing there frozen completely solid for a few seconds while she calmly shoots an icicle into your dome. I don't know how it is nowadays, but when I played, Mei was never particularly overpowered or meta in high tier competitive play... and yet I constantly saw insane amounts of vitriol for her specifically, violent loathing and resentment, because slowly losing control of your character and being forced to watch helplessly as they carefully aim at your forehead is not fun for anyone. Effects like stuns and slows are often just intrinsically unfun design because it feels bad on a psychological level to lose control of one's character in a game, no matter how you try to "balance" around them. It's why things like i-frames exist.

She only slows now, can't freeze you entirely unless it's with her ult, which feels much fairer. She's nowhere near as much of a pain to go up against with this change.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think Boil Over needs a nerf really but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get instinctively annoyed whenever I see the funny horse icon on survivor pickup.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tiny Myers posted:

That's an interesting example because it's a case where being stunned is so terrible in their minds that they would rather be dead. I say that because Mei is a inverted form of TF2's Pyro, who is famous for being able to kill light/medium characters very quickly if you can light them on fire then follow up with an autocrit flare gun hit. Mei had to get you isolated enough that she can continually freeze you to the point of being immobile, all while you are shooting at her, and then follow it up with icicle headshots. It's much slower and more likely to get her killed, but being frozen before dying really seems to infuriate people more than just outright dying immediately.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Solo queue enjoyers (or masochists, either way) - is Kindred as mandatory as it feels? I wouldn't mind freeing up the slot for more build variety but it feels so crippling without it. I'm torn, and need more advice.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It depends on how good you, and the randos you're playing with, are at using the HUD. If one person is on the hook, one is in chase, and one is on a gen, that person with no icon had better be going for the unhook.

"Where is everyone" is less important than "who is busy/free at the moment" and you don't need Kindred for that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

rydiafan posted:

It depends on how good you, and the randos you're playing with, are at using the HUD. If one person is on the hook, one is in chase, and one is on a gen, that person with no icon had better be going for the unhook.

"Where is everyone" is less important than "who is busy/free at the moment" and you don't need Kindred for that.

That is a fair point that I hadn't thought of. I already find myself using the hud more anyway just to see who is furthest along and should stick to their gen and who's just getting started and should start making tracks. I may try to wean myself off it a bit since I do think I rely on it more than I reasonably should.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's an interesting example because it's a case where being stunned is so terrible in their minds that they would rather be dead. I say that because Mei is a inverted form of TF2's Pyro, who is famous for being able to kill light/medium characters very quickly if you can light them on fire then follow up with an autocrit flare gun hit. Mei had to get you isolated enough that she can continually freeze you to the point of being immobile, all while you are shooting at her, and then follow it up with icicle headshots. It's much slower and more likely to get her killed, but being frozen before dying really seems to infuriate people more than just outright dying immediately.
I saw someone describe it as frustrating specifically because games are largely about being able to control your character and interface with the world via said controls, so being put in a state of "alive, yet unable to do anything" is just super frustrating on a psychological level. I can't remember how to word it as well as they did because I have memory problems but hopefully that gives you an idea, and frankly I agree with it in the sense that I find stuns and similar to be very irritating in games. But it's less about that one example or stuns in particular - I'm sure anyone can think of an example of a mechanic in a game that was "balanced" yet so frustrating they'd prefer it was removed entirely. And with Overwatch it sounds like they did indeed go in that direction from what Relyssa said.

Relyssa posted:

Solo queue enjoyers (or masochists, either way) - is Kindred as mandatory as it feels? I wouldn't mind freeing up the slot for more build variety but it feels so crippling without it. I'm torn, and need more advice.
I definitely struggle to take it off, but it's honestly more for my team than it is for me at this point. Like, I think you can learn to get a good sense for "do I go in or not" based solely on building up your own gamesense helping you feel out where people are on the map. The little indicator icons they've added help a lot as well, like if Feng Min's on a gen and Dwight's in chase then obviously you go in to unhook Meg, right? (e:f;b)

But I feel like every time I take off Kindred I immediately have a match where I get left nearly to 3rd hook from 1st and/or my entire team runs into a camping killer like they're a human blender. It just depends on how much tolerance you've got for that sort of thing happening, I think, because not much other than Kindred prevents it from happening... but at the same time, sometimes it doesn't prevent it from happening:

Like, it's extremely useful for insurance in a variety of situations, but solo queue ends in tragedy in so many ways that if it's hindering your fun, you may as well take the leap and go do some silly builds.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to get progress on the achievement Hiding Seeker (end a chase against the Killer by hiding inside a locker 35 times) and I've been enjoying Quick and Quiet+Lucky Star+Inner Healing. Inner Healing/Inner Strength has got to be one of my favorite perks in the game, it's so insanely useful to have a heal in your back pocket, especially one that can bypass Mangled. Sloppy+Coulro+Thana? No thanks, I'm eating bone chips in a locker :toot:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

I definitely struggle to take it off, but it's honestly more for my team than it is for me at this point. Like, I think you can learn to get a good sense for "do I go in or not" based solely on building up your own gamesense helping you feel out where people are on the map. The little indicator icons they've added help a lot as well, like if Feng Min's on a gen and Dwight's in chase then obviously you go in to unhook Meg, right? (e:f;b)

But I feel like every time I take off Kindred I immediately have a match where I get left nearly to 3rd hook from 1st and/or my entire team runs into a camping killer like they're a human blender. It just depends on how much tolerance you've got for that sort of thing happening, I think, because not much other than Kindred prevents it from happening... but at the same time, sometimes it doesn't prevent it from happening:

Like, it's extremely useful for insurance in a variety of situations, but solo queue ends in tragedy in so many ways that if it's hindering your fun, you may as well take the leap and go do some silly builds.

My solo queue teammates are usually idiots who do the thing in that meme pic, so I in no way trust them to do anything useful with that information. I'm much more of a funhaver with my builds and will only slap on the hardcore anti-tunnel/anti-slug build when I get particularly frustrated. I much prefer doing stupid poo poo like generating a pile of items with Dramaturgy or seeing how much chaos I can cause with Flashbangs.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

My solo queue teammates are usually idiots who do the thing in that meme pic, so I in no way trust them to do anything useful with that information. I'm much more of a funhaver with my builds and will only slap on the hardcore anti-tunnel/anti-slug build when I get particularly frustrated. I much prefer doing stupid poo poo like generating a pile of items with Dramaturgy or seeing how much chaos I can cause with Flashbangs.

Flashbang is unironically the funniest and best perk in the game, and the fact that you can give them to your teammates makes it infinitely better. I've described it as handing a banana peel to someone - like, someone's gonna slip on this. Is it the killer? Probably not. Either way, it's going to be really funny

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Flashbang is unironically the funniest and best perk in the game, and the fact that you can give them to your teammates makes it infinitely better. I've described it as handing a banana peel to someone - like, someone's gonna slip on this. Is it the killer? Probably not. Either way, it's going to be really funny

I had a killer game recently where someone managed a flashbang save out of nowhere. I didn't even see the person that did it. Was in no way upset, probably made that person's night.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1734604352193433883?t=6yKiOS2Mcv5SVrVLQhCXSg&s=19

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Relyssa posted:

I recently did this (freed up a slot for build variety) by ditching Kindred, and it has been fun having the extra slot and experimenting. Making an educated guess of who should rescue based on the HUD is as good as Kindred most of the time. When it's not, then sure, Kindred can save the entire game, but it IS one of those perks that won't help you at all for long stretches.

It's deceptive because every time someone gets hooked, you're seeing auras. So you ARE getting tons of info out of it, but is the info that useful? I still think they should put some form of it into the basekit for Survivors, but I got tired of waiting for them to do that, and I don't regret it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Really important note: The DLCs in these packs will not be available individually afterwards, but you can still buy individual characters through the DbD in-game store. If you want the DLCs proper you should buy them while they're on holiday sales.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Really weird to just throw the Mikaela one into pack three instead of a killer/survivor chapter like all the rest of them.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

She was a standalone midchapter DLC (like Nic Cage was) and those are grouped by year of release (2018, 2019, 2020) I think, so she goes in with Trickster and Twins and Blight

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Oh hey, coincidentally just in time to rebuy my characters after the devs refused to restore them and closed the ticket! Timing!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Kind of funny, I continue to be utter poo poo hitting anything with Chucky's dash, then I had someone send it to RPD (they were also running Boil Over/Power Struggle so it was a real jackass). Turns out that's a pretty good map for Chucky, nothing but straight hallways with nowhere much to juke him. Same reason Pyramid Head is good there

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Trickster got rebuffed and Batteries Included works in endgame.

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1734959768005964170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Dramaturgy is back, now I can finally expose myself and lose.