Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

cheat at solitaire posted:

Is there any way to get the Gnolls in Moonrise Towers on your side as Durge? In my first playthrough I convinced them to kill their slaver. One of the gnolls told me they recognized me and looked forward to fighting at my side again, but when I went to raid the tower they were nowhere to be found. Was it just a bit of flavor text, or can they actually show up?

I’ve had them show up on multiple runs, but not the last few where I’ve essentially cleared the tower before the fight.

My memory is that they show up a few rounds in, so if it’s a short fight there may not be time for them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I cleared the tower and they didn’t join in since we only had the entry way to deal with :hist101:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Having a blast playing this, but animations, camera work and general stuff is very, very janky?? I've just started playing and got to the initial fight outside of Emerald Grove. Whenever I would critical hit enemies, the camera would zoom in on their bodies but it was all out of focus and confusing, with the enemy appearing in the top right portion of the screen whilst the camera focused on the bare ground. Same with interacting with environment objects like chairs or pods, I get loads of T-posing and general glitchiness. Character animations during dialogue scenes are also weird and slightly unsettling, especially when it's my character staring blankly.

Is this just the way the game is or is there something up with my install?

PS: I just spent an hour looting and fighting and getting up to shenanigans, only to die to a necrotic cloud (I didn't know it was a necrotic cloud) and there aren't 5 minute autosave intervals. It put me right back to when I first entered the zone an hour earlier. Closed the game for the night as I can't be bothered doing all that again. What a terrible oversight.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's a bug that got introduced in one of the recent patches. They'd fix things and break others lol.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Qubee posted:

What a terrible oversight.

Yeah, on your part. Learn to love F5.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One bug I've been getting, a lot, is dead people replaying their death animations, if i walk far enough away and then come back

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

One bug I've been getting, a lot, is dead people replaying their death animations, if i walk far enough away and then come back

Sounds like a feature to me. Time loop where you celebrate your wins.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The game is pretty brutal with lack of auto saves compared to just about anything else released in 2023. I don't really mind personally but I know the feeling of losing hours because I forgot to save. In the case of BG3 though, something that took you hours the first time is likely to go much faster your next time around. My buddies and I just started a multiplayer honor run and we've gone through like a third of act one, just steamrolling poo poo because we've all completed the game multiple times and know how to proceed without wasting our time. Which is important for multiplayer especially. But even then, if I spent say, an hour or so getting through the Gauntlet of Shar, and then lost that progress at the end, I know I could probably get through in half the time because I will have a better idea of how to approach combats and I won't have to spend any time figuring out the puzzles. It's really not that big of a deal in most cases.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

For serious, though, I got to Act III for the first time last night and started seeing graphics bugs I never have had before. The guard outside the gate that denies you entry had her teeth and gums halfway out her left cheek and a band stretching from the right off into infinity. Gnome merchant in the cave had a completely smooth face, also with the band, and my PC was running even hotter than it normally does. I should probably turn a few settings down.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BG3 is where my muscle memory from years of playing CRPGs finally paid off. I F5'ed at every opportunity and ended the game with thousands of saves. Never lost any progress.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Qubee posted:

Having a blast playing this, but animations, camera work and general stuff is very, very janky?? I've just started playing and got to the initial fight outside of Emerald Grove. Whenever I would critical hit enemies, the camera would zoom in on their bodies but it was all out of focus and confusing, with the enemy appearing in the top right portion of the screen whilst the camera focused on the bare ground. Same with interacting with environment objects like chairs or pods, I get loads of T-posing and general glitchiness. Character animations during dialogue scenes are also weird and slightly unsettling, especially when it's my character staring blankly.

Is this just the way the game is or is there something up with my install?

PS: I just spent an hour looting and fighting and getting up to shenanigans, only to die to a necrotic cloud (I didn't know it was a necrotic cloud) and there aren't 5 minute autosave intervals. It put me right back to when I first entered the zone an hour earlier. Closed the game for the night as I can't be bothered doing all that again. What a terrible oversight.

Some of that sounds like a bug but hard agree that the Tav (PC) animations are generally awful compared to the ones for NPCs and companions.
Edit: Especially compared to things released this year, oof.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 11, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the NPCs in an area dramatically dying again upon load is definitely something I've noticed happening a lot more.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, on your part. Learn to love F5.

I am also going to point out too that the game does auto save before certain "major" encounters. If your game auto saves as you approach an ostensibly empty hall, you can assume an ambush is inbound.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're ever worried about BG3 not saving frequently enough, my recommendation would just be to play in Honor Mode. Now the game will save after every single little thing you do!!

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Is there any point to putting equipment on a Druid if I just Wild Shape them most of the time? I recruited Halsin and thought at least the secondary effects of equipment would carry over, but I guess they don't

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I started a new game with a custom Gith character and went straight through the abandoned village to the Risen Road and on to meet (spoilering even though it's the beginning of the game) Voss and the party of Gith in front of the mountain pass. My party was Laezel, Gale, and Astarion, and I only had Shadowheart with me from the beach to freeing Laezel five minutes later--she's been at camp since then, with only one long rest (the event was Astarion biting). We had not seen the cutscene where the artifact comes wooshing out to you to save you from the voice of the Absolute, which happens normally when approaching the goblin camp. But I still got the "the artifact wants you to lie to them" prompt in my talk with Voss. Had I not played through act 1 ten times now I would have been very confused. Has anyone gotten to this point and had anything else happen? I feel like I should have been able to just say "you got it, boss, I'll keep an eye out."

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You took a path they didn’t account for it seems like. I have a glitch with the Gur in act 3 that makes a goofy end for Astarions quest.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Black Noise posted:

You took a path they didn’t account for it seems like. I have a glitch with the Gur in act 3 that makes a goofy end for Astarions quest.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

All the NPCs in an area dramatically dying again upon load is definitely something I've noticed happening a lot more.

That happens all the time for me.

I've also crashed more often than I remember crashing a few months ago.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Act 3

So some random Zentharim in Act 3 had this note on her after I killed her:

Life has tried to push me down
Make me crawl when I should fly
But I won't be stilled
And when I'm killed
I'll be looking at the sky

Of course I killed her in the Guild underground base, so she was not in fact looking at the sky, but it made me feel so bad about it, I had Karlach pick her up and take her to that grassy hill next to the abandoned tower and place her body so she was under the sky.

This game sometimes...

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
How are people gearing their Paladins? I'm using the Unseen Menace pike for perma-advantage and frequent crits and Adamantine armor of course. I tried the Radiant Orb gear but it didn't synergize as well as I'd hoped.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum but I didn't see anything about it in the OP. How does BG3 run on the deck? Pros & Cons? I've been thinking about giving it another go and just got the new OLED deck.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah same but it's very funny so I don't really mind. The best was the dying man on the beach in Rivington, who breathed his last in the conversation and then when the conversation was over, stood up and dramatically flailed around before collapsing again. He really hammed it up, it was great

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Moon Slayer posted:

For serious, though, I got to Act III for the first time last night and started seeing graphics bugs I never have had before. The guard outside the gate that denies you entry had her teeth and gums halfway out her left cheek and a band stretching from the right off into infinity. Gnome merchant in the cave had a completely smooth face, also with the band, and my PC was running even hotter than it normally does. I should probably turn a few settings down.

Having literally the same graphical bug. It’s actually kind of a relief to know my video card wasn’t overheating or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Since the recent patch I've had that bug where someone's nose stretches out z axis forever, on two different NPCs. It's very distracting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

AgentHaiTo posted:

Act 3

So some random Zentharim in Act 3 had this note on her after I killed her:

Life has tried to push me down
Make me crawl when I should fly
But I won't be stilled
And when I'm killed
I'll be looking at the sky

Of course I killed her in the Guild underground base, so she was not in fact looking at the sky, but it made me feel so bad about it, I had Karlach pick her up and take her to that grassy hill next to the abandoned tower and place her body so she was under the sky.

This game sometimes...

There are a ton of this sort of things tucked away around the world you can find. The ones I remember are One of the guards in the Foundry has a letter from his parents being excited about his job, and there is a murdered Flaming Fist in the Temple of Bhaal area who has a love letter written to Quil, the bard that the Durge murders if Alifra is unavailable

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

plainswalker75 posted:

Is there any point to putting equipment on a Druid if I just Wild Shape them most of the time? I recruited Halsin and thought at least the secondary effects of equipment would carry over, but I guess they don't

There are a few magic items, particularly in act 3, that confer bonuses while you are wild shaped. Otherwise having equipment is generally a good idea if you run into a fight where you'd want to have them cast a spell or two rather than immediately turning into an owlbear.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thundarr posted:

rather than immediately turning into an owlbear.

I don't understand.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
cast concentration spell, turn into (owl)bear, repeat

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

OzFactor posted:

I started a new game with a custom Gith character and went straight through the abandoned village to the Risen Road and on to meet (spoilering even though it's the beginning of the game) Voss and the party of Gith in front of the mountain pass. My party was Laezel, Gale, and Astarion, and I only had Shadowheart with me from the beach to freeing Laezel five minutes later--she's been at camp since then, with only one long rest (the event was Astarion biting). We had not seen the cutscene where the artifact comes wooshing out to you to save you from the voice of the Absolute, which happens normally when approaching the goblin camp. But I still got the "the artifact wants you to lie to them" prompt in my talk with Voss. Had I not played through act 1 ten times now I would have been very confused. Has anyone gotten to this point and had anything else happen? I feel like I should have been able to just say "you got it, boss, I'll keep an eye out."

Yeah, if you get there as a Githyanki and you don't have the artifact at all (because you haven't recruited or killed Shadowheart) you can just play along and be ordered to retrieve the artifact.

It's a little tricky because Voss really wants an excuse to kill you (telling him about your parasite makes them attack, saying you're lost makes them attack, approaching with non-githyanki party members makes them attack unless you pass a check, etc) but but you can get through with no checks at all if you say you're from the creche, he just tells you to find the artifact and flies off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hahaha i'm doing a run with friends and i've picked dark urge.

Jesus gently caress, i'm embracing this. This is silly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So one thing I never figured out, or maybe the game never makes clear: who is the "M" that is writing to Ethel? None of the major villains in Act 2 or 3 have names beginning with "M". So it's not Orin or Gortash, not Nine Fingers. I guess a possible DLC hook or just some other hag who doesn't appear in the game?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum but I didn't see anything about it in the OP. How does BG3 run on the deck? Pros & Cons? I've been thinking about giving it another go and just got the new OLED deck.

Pretty good. I had to tweak graphical settings to not have it look like the screen is covered in Vaseline (something about TAA with the AMD upscaling tech). Otherwise you can crank the details as much as you want as long as you don't mind the fans running a lot and your battery getting juiced. Framerate is steady.

Controls take some getting used to but I think they're fine, minus inventory management being annoying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Right, so I just had a really weird bug. Walked in to the Zhentarim hideout, passed the speech check and went through the gates. The second I crossed a line of oil on the ground, it set off all the explosives, killed the artist, and made everyone go hostile. I wasn't on fire, and didn't have any equipment that does fire (or any elemental) damage.

What the hell? I wanted to trade!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lima posted:

Ask her to tell more about herself and she should mention that she likes night orchids. If you already romanced her then it might be too late to have that convo.

Thank you so much I was so confused on how to give her that stupid flower!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lone Wolf mod trip report: it works great! Ideal for co-op

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Ashcans posted:

There are a ton of this sort of things tucked away around the world you can find. The ones I remember are One of the guards in the Foundry has a letter from his parents being excited about his job, and there is a murdered Flaming Fist in the Temple of Bhaal area who has a love letter written to Quil, the bard that the Durge murders if Alifra is unavailable

Act 3 background stuff: One of the Bainites you kill also has a love letter to one of Bhaalists you kill

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

grack posted:

Right, so I just had a really weird bug. Walked in to the Zhentarim hideout, passed the speech check and went through the gates. The second I crossed a line of oil on the ground, it set off all the explosives, killed the artist, and made everyone go hostile. I wasn't on fire, and didn't have any equipment that does fire (or any elemental) damage.

What the hell? I wanted to trade!

Did you have an ever burning Tiefling from Hell in your party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/faerunfunkster/status/1734067843086577761?s=20