Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bought my tickets for the opening home set, hope they can get Yamamoto too

Arte Moreno can suck my dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Doesn't this also gently caress over the other players? Isn't the Qualifying Offer based off of the top 100 MLB contracts by average annual value?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

I have PM'd a mod asking for assistance

Also I will add that while making a present value joke was very tempting because I went back to school and that exact thing is something we're literally covering right now, I went with a much simpler idea that will hopefully still be funny

I called my mom because she studied this, and we did some math. He's gonna get like $420M present value, but then I realized: how are they gonna settle up with a debt that's 15-20% of the franchise value?

Shohei Ohtani is going to own a stake in the Dodgers franchise, eventually. I'd bet my life on it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nodoze posted:

He is on the 2mil he's getting a year

This is the kind of thing that could cause Dems to begin threatening antitrust. "LA schools are being deprived when the Dodgers wait until their players depart for tax havens to pay them!"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is LeBron James an actual billionaire at this point? He's made $430 million in salary and probably more than that in endorsements/etc. but I have no idea what his burn rate is. Messi is probably around $1B just in salary by now.

Anyway if Ohtani wants to be a billionaire it's certainly within his power to get there.

Probably not quite becuase of taxes but he's definitely made more on endorsements than he has in salary

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ihatepants posted:

Doesn't this also gently caress over the other players? Isn't the Qualifying Offer based off of the top 100 MLB contracts by average annual value?
that’s a good question, what counts as AAV for the QO? Is it $70M or $43.7M?

But again, all of this is simpler to think of in terms of the net present value. If he signed a 10 year deal with no deferrals for $437M (breaking Trout’s record) would we be saying he hosed over other players?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

This is the kind of thing that could cause Dems to begin threatening antitrust. "LA schools are being deprived when the Dodgers wait until their players depart for tax havens to pay them!"

This is seriously maximum cope lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You know what, good for him. I hope he's happy and wins some rings and makes a shitload of money.

*Hall and Oates song starts*

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

This is seriously maximum cope lmao

Elizabeth Warren tried rattling sabers at Apple for not letting somebody sell iMessage access to Android owners. Do you think any actual awareness of the issues on the ground matter at all?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I for one feel solidary with my Dodgers fan bretheren now that we're all fans of teams that have done some underhanded fuckery to get away with stuff

Craptacular! posted:

Elizabeth Warren tried rattling sabers at Apple for not letting somebody sell iMessage access to Android owners. Do you think any actual awareness of the issues on the ground matter at all?

Elizabeth Warren is a useless nobody loser whose greatest accomplishment was helping Biden gently caress over Bernie

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Eagerly looking forward to the team going into receivership and Shohei becoming the first player-owner in the game.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

It should be $70m every year you ignoramus that's a big part of what everyone's mad about

Like go fire up a blunt and chill and be happy, nobody gives a poo poo of why you, bawfuls, actually think this deal is cool and good. WE KNOW

Bro, time value of money is high school econ stuff.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

Elizabeth Warren is a useless nobody loser whose greatest accomplishment was helping Biden gently caress over Bernie

I should clarify: I think this may result in politicians publicly saying baseball is doing bad things and should be held accountable. I don't think it guarantees any sort of action, especially since a significant amount of voters choose to be represented by people who think billionaires should be able to do anything they want.

I say this as someone who couldn't understand why the federal government would give a poo poo about Barry's steroids.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I for one feel solidary with my Dodgers fan bretheren now that we're all fans of teams that have done some underhanded fuckery to get away with stuff
not so fast buddy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lord Of Texas posted:

Bro, time value of money is high school econ stuff.
so is supply and demand but that doesn’t stop people from thinking player salaries are responsible for high ticket and concessions prices

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

People don't understand that the increased salaries are a response to the higher revenue from tickets/tv deals/concessions, not the other way around

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just broke the news to my 10yo son who collapsed on the couch and said "oh no, without him the Angels will never win another game"

I did not reply "I hope so, son."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I did rally him and say "well we could always root for him on another team"

Perhaps there is still time for him to escape my fate.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

bawfuls posted:

that’s a good question, what counts as AAV for the QO? Is it $70M or $43.7M?

But again, all of this is simpler to think of in terms of the net present value. If he signed a 10 year deal with no deferrals for $437M (breaking Trout’s record) would we be saying he hosed over other players?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1734356932847075762?s=20

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

mdemone posted:

I did rally him and say "well we could always root for him on another team"

Perhaps there is still time for him to escape my fate.

A Dodger fan is born.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

might as well tell him to be a yankees fan and buy him a 27 shirt

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Fans here should know better than to be mad about teams “getting away with” a lower luxury tax bill.

lol get out of here with this "I'm dissapointed in you all"

Like this is all perfectly fine to discuss and it's fairly normal for people to look at these hosed up contracts where a guy is getting paid a pittance well he's actually playing and then tens of millions once he's done and say "this seems hosed up".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zisky posted:

A Dodger fan is born.

As long as he is happy, I don't care. Which kinda takes the Angels out of the equation

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Bullshit posted:

Eagerly looking forward to the team going into receivership and Shohei becoming the first player-owner in the game.
Guggenheim Asset Management controls $300B worth of poo poo. The Dodgers are a pretty little Christmas ornament sitting on top of their giant dragon’s horde of lucre.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

might as well tell him to be a yankees fan and buy him a 27 shirt

How dare you. I would never condone Yankees fandom in this house

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mdemone posted:

How dare you. I would never condone Yankees fandom in this house

you condoned angels fandom which seems a lot worse but for a different reason

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hahahahaha

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also you know 10 years from know we are going to get a million articles every year about how the mega Ohtani contract is limiting the Dodgers ability to spend carrying water for the FO.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

lol get out of here with this "I'm dissapointed in you all"

Like this is all perfectly fine to discuss and it's fairly normal for people to look at these hosed up contracts where a guy is getting paid a pittance well he's actually playing and then tens of millions once he's done and say "this seems hosed up".
you’re right, I thought my “hoes mad” dance would be confined to twitter but SAS has blessed me with an additional venue and for that I should be grateful

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

stay mad about poor Dick Monfort and the reduced revenue sharing checks he’s cashing

What kind of sarcasm is this? People should be mad about Dick Monfort.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

you’re right, I thought my “hoes mad” dance would be confined to twitter but SAS has blessed me with an additional venue and for that I should be grateful

yesss yesss let the "get over it" flow through you

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Craptacular! posted:

I should clarify: I think this may result in politicians publicly saying baseball is doing bad things and should be held accountable.

most politicians right now are too busy running cover for genocide to grandstand over baseball and by the time the pendulum swings back I doubt even one of them will be worried overmuch about one unicorn contract

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 12, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

looking forward to a decade of "it's not technically cheating" from Dodgers fans that no one else buys

only way it could be better is if Ohtani can't pitch anymore so they're paying the highest salary in baseball for a DH

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
it's gonna rock when the dodgers lose to the reds or something in the playoffs

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike_V posted:

it's gonna rock when the dodgers lose to the reds or something in the playoffs

I can't wait to see what new way the league finds to help the Dodgers since they can't help themselves.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

if cole, trout and judge got traded to the reds for nothing I still wouldn't believe in them

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Intruder posted:

if cole, trout and judge got traded to the reds for nothing I still wouldn't believe in them

someone's gotta win the NL central...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I just made myself imagine Judge hitting in GABP for 81 games :stwoon:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

looking forward to a decade of "it's not technically cheating" from Dodgers fans that no one else buys

only way it could be better is if Ohtani can't pitch anymore so they're paying the highest salary in baseball for a DH
no one is buying your “cheating other owners out of some revenue sharing is equivalent to Banging the Cans” shtick

And if he can’t pitch anymore he’s gonna play in the outfield, I have no doubt about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

has anything happened or have i missed 200 posts of squabbling over Contract Details