Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
So, I'm just exploring around in Chapter 2. Are there time limits I should be aware of, or can I explore at will?

Also, why has Cassia have a talent that says data deleted?

Despacho fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm pretty sure I have a bug on the A N V brigands quest, Rot. I'm told I can find their main base, but when I go to where it's supposed to be it doesn't pop up. Anyone else with this particular bug?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

how do you know how to find your planets? i just have a bunch of random warp points.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

sebmojo posted:

how do you know how to find your planets? i just have a bunch of random warp points.

You just kinda bungle around and scan until you get there, the paths are all crookedy because space travel sucks diegetically.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like I'm Psychering wrong because my main guy just can like give people +STR & +TGH. Idira only has Scream, and I guess some defensive buffs, and Cassia has Eye.

I seem to rarely be presented the chance to pick more/new spells. Or is that the idea? I'm level 16 or so, so only Psy Rating 1 still.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Sab669 posted:

I feel like I'm Psychering wrong because my main guy just can like give people +STR & +TGH. Idira only has Scream, and I guess some defensive buffs, and Cassia has Eye.

I seem to rarely be presented the chance to pick more/new spells. Or is that the idea? I'm level 16 or so, so only Psy Rating 1 still.

If you're level 16 you should have been able to pick at least 1/2 more powers, they come up when you can pick an ability for your class. They should be at the bottom of the list and if you can't find them just go to the warp tab at the very right when you're picking abilities/talents. Cassia can do a ton of damage if you get the talent that does damage when she uses her abilities that force move enemies btw

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wonder if there were times I was presented options and just didn't scroll through the whole list before going, "Yea I want this one!"

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

You get powers from the psyker staffs too. Idira's chain lightning ability is derived from her staff for example. Without it she only has the shout.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I wonder if there were times I was presented options and just didn't scroll through the whole list before going, "Yea I want this one!"

Not sure if this is what's done it but if you have your levelup screen filtered to Archetype Talents, you won't see Psyker abilities because they're Origin Talents, not Archetype Talents

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean I have the Chain Lighting from her Staff, but other than that it's just the Screamy bit.

I usually don't have my lists filtered and instead just scroll through it all, but yea maybe it's worth visiting whichever NPC is the Respec Guy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I figured out what was making my Movement Ability Master Tactician Cass so absurdly overpowered.

Press the Advantage gives you a 4% damage bonus for every stack of Tactical Advantage on your next attack. This damage bonus applies to all damage she deals even if it doesn't come from an 'attack'. Her movement abilities do not count as 'attacks'... which means that "on her next attack" never gets triggered and the stacks of Press the Advantage don't go away. So after a couple casts she just sits at 99 stacks of Press the Advantage for +396% damage on all of her movement abilities.

This is true of any damage-dealing ability that isn't a direct weapon attack (I think...), including Lidless Stare or whatever. Probably a bug but lol

sebmojo posted:

There's a quest marker next to the systems that have your planets in them

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 12, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

The concept of romancing Cass is kind of funny, because isn't her whole thing that everyone around her feels every emotion she feels? So if you romanced her and she fell in love with you your ship would inevitably turn into some kind of wild orgy and Slaanesh would definitely take over.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 12, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

sebmojo posted:

There's quest markers next to place name on the map. Only shows when you're revealed the star locations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

OMG OMG. Just got to the 3rd tier professions and your Rogue Trader can become an unsanctioned psychic. Sweet!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I know Argenta is a Bride of the Emperor, but I wish I could be her sidepiece. Argenta, I showed you my warrant, please respond.

Her and Cass seem like the most OP companions so far.

Also, lol, there was no bug with the ANV quest, I was just looking in the wrong loving place even though it was highlighted on my map.

e: Also, not sure I should enjoy how much I'm making Hendrix uncomfortable by flirting with him.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 12, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Issaries posted:

OMG OMG. Just got to the 3rd tier professions and your Rogue Trader can become an unsanctioned psychic. Sweet!

that must be a bug, it's counter to literally everything they designed that class for

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pentyne posted:

that must be a bug, it's counter to literally everything they designed that class for

No its definitely a deliberate thing you can pick with your perks

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Further Reading posted:

No orcs at all.

Not true, there's the skull of one on your desk. A biggun, too, definitely a nob if not a full on boss.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think it's a bug. Only your main character can take it and only if they're not already a psyker but there's a whole set of them depending on what flavor you want:

I'm curious whether it will let you take Psy Rating talents on later levels but I didn't take it to find out :ohdear:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

I know Argenta is a Bride of the Emperor, but I wish I could be her sidepiece. Argenta, I showed you my warrant, please respond.

Her and Cass seem like the most OP companions so far.

Also, lol, there was no bug with the ANV quest, I was just looking in the wrong loving place even though it was highlighted on my map.

e: Also, not sure I should enjoy how much I'm making Hendrix uncomfortable by flirting with him.

Yeah Sisters aren't celibate or anything. They just chose to make Argenta a typical sister who's too big of a psycho to 'waste time' with romance for whatever reason. Don't really go for romance in cRPGs myself but I was surprised at how limited they were in RT. Lot of sexless companions.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I generally don't really love cRPG romances, though there's been a couple that have really added to my enjoyment of a playthrough (gently caress you Anders in DA2, gently caress you very much).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
are there any classes or roles that aren't found in the party members? that is, is there a player class that doesn't double up?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The psychotic cleanse-the-heretic-in-holy-fire poo poo is largely reserved for the aptly-named Cult Imperialis and factions aligned with it, like puritan Inquisitors of the Ordos Xenos and Hereticus (the Ordo Malleus tend to have the least awful puritans because they're at least usually called in to deal with obvious, serious threats to reality), and Space Marine chapters like the Black Templars. Argentia is really uncommonly nice for an Ecclesiarchy footsoldier, and then there's the paramilitary fanatics like the Redemptionists.

Certain temples of the Officio Assassinorum are also pretty spectacularly off their rocker - Eversor Assassins are known for being amongst the few warriors in the galaxy who can routinely out-psycho Khorne Berserkers.

Buschmaki posted:

The Marines Malevolent literally love killing Imperial civilians

I mean, I'm aware of these factions. But what factions in the Imperium do lovely things wasn't the original post. It was that taking pleasure in maiming your suboordinates was an extremely common trait (in fact, the second most common) in Imperial characters. Which... it's not. To connect that with what you posted, it's like if High Marshal Helbrecht was characterized by wandering around chopping off the hands of Sword Brethren just because it made him feel good which he, uh, kind of doesn't. At all. Hell, they also don't really fit the whole "doing it for fun to your own suboordinates" part either - both because they're not doing it to their OWN subordinates, and because it's not for fun. You could kind of worm Sisters of Battle in there (or more broadly Cult Imperialis stuff in general) due to things like Sisters Repentia, Arco-Flagellants and Penitent Engines, but all of those are more just extreme interpretations of the whole "self-flagellation to bring purity/clarity/forgiveness/whatever" ideas that exist in the real world, not because they're enjoying it for the sake of itself.

Hell, Marines Malevolent are a particularly poor example, because shitloads of major factions in the Imperium loving despise them and refuse to even work alongside them - even including some portions of the Inquisition! Like, you can absolutely bet there are some Inquisitors just looking for something heretical to pin on them to order a purge and remove them.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

You get at least one of each of the four archetypes, and you can choose their second archetype on your own.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm playing through as a full Imperium guy and the struggle between being nice to party member/potential party member, therefore new content and clicking the EXECUTE button as fast as possible is hitting in Act 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

are there any classes or roles that aren't found in the party members? that is, is there a player class that doesn't double up?

Not really? I think the closest you can get is that there is no Pyromancer Psyker companion though you absolutely can eventually spec companions into it.

Being an Officer is good choice if you want semi-unique utility because they are the big OP base class and the only early officer you get also has a bunch of strong unique mechanics you can lean into for her to be wildly different.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Preechr posted:

I like to think that the Emperor is constantly observing and living vicariously through Ciaphis Cain, because after 10000 years of torment and all of human history before that he was finally curious what life would be like if he wasn’t a colossal dick and could just enjoy things. It’s why he never dies in all his wacky adventures, because the Emperor refuses to let his favorite show get cancelled and demands a new season.

lol

yeah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow holy poo poo the difficulty spike at the end of Act 1.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The pskyer companions come fairly prebuilt so if you were planning to go big on casting you'd want you make your own.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
It's kinda weird how, because of how wildly powerful she is, Cassia is the one unremovable companion in everyone's lineup - but, like, she's the Navigator of your ship. You know *for a fact* that she's irreplaceable and if she died your whole show would be stranded forever. By any right she should be confined to a giant saferoom on the ship at all times.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As someone else said, you're the Rogue fuckin Trader, why are you even on the ground shooting your own grunts.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zore posted:

Not really? I think the closest you can get is that there is no Pyromancer Psyker companion though you absolutely can eventually spec companions into it.

Being an Officer is good choice if you want semi-unique utility because they are the big OP base class and the only early officer you get also has a bunch of strong unique mechanics you can lean into for her to be wildly different.

Also, while it isn't class per-se, a reasonable number of the origins and homeworlds aren't covered by the companions. These aren't as influential as your archetype, and I don't know that all of them are worth investing heavily in, but something like Noble definitely adds a unique (and mechanically strong) twist on Officer that the other story companions don't have access to.

Kobal2 posted:

It's kinda weird how, because of how wildly powerful she is, Cassia is the one unremovable companion in everyone's lineup - but, like, she's the Navigator of your ship. You know *for a fact* that she's irreplaceable and if she died your whole show would be stranded forever. By any right she should be confined to a giant saferoom on the ship at all times.

it's Star Trek rules :)

It's also a subject with slightly inconsistent treatment lore-wise (and also often deliberately ignored), because the solution to the Navigator bus factor is either redundant off-screen Navigators (which admittedly we've explicitly ruled out here) or the rarely-discussed but entirely possible option of non-Navigated warp travel back to an inhabited system to collect a new Navigator - the systems of Imperial Ships get a picture of local warp space and can have their cogitators calculate short hops of ~4-5 light years, this is significantly slower than having a specialized mutant do it and subjects the ship to risks a Navigator could easily prevent but means it is possible to limp home if the Navigator gets got

LGD fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 12, 2023

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah I was interested in what to take after that. I think I gave her master tactician for some reason but I was overloaded by the options.

I took a talent that gives +5 willpower every time someone gets an extra turn and a single target attack spell that scales off willpower for helping nuke bosses, although usually my other characters handle that while cassia makes the chaff walk themselves to death/make elites take attacks of opportunities. So far I am only getting navigator stuff and am close to having every talent other than ones that pump up her buffing skills. For archetype I gave her Grand Strategist just to make her always go first.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really regret picking operative because I have two already and it's terribly fiddly, but I can't be arsed doing act 1 again

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Toybox mod is slightly annoying to install right now but it lets you respec base archetypes, including those of your companions if you want

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I laughed at Pasqal announcing a "category 3 miracle"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

The Toybox mod is slightly annoying to install right now but it lets you respec base archetypes, including those of your companions if you want

Oh ty I think I might do that

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I gave burst Argenta a try. Burst Argenta cost me two profit factor to build. Burst Argenta was worth it, especially when Cassia can get everyone all grouped up in her firing corridor.

The elder sniper rifle you get from Jae looks amazing but seems bugged. Its set to require Children of Asuyan, but also the character can't have Aeldari Equipment. Yrilet has both so she can't use it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I got jae some hat that gave +1 bonus damage per rate of fire and now she's annihilating poo poo easy as hell. Her main obstacle is the relatively low ballistic skill

She toasted some guy with 220 health in one round which was pretty funny, now I need to find something better than splinter pistols

Also man I got into some space battle with two vipers and two ships that had 120 health and scraped by on it, turns out the 'shoot torpedos' thing is largely a waste of time, I think it's such a huge waste bc torpedoes have awful turning and are easy to avoid

Sloober fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Oh ty I think I might do that

Just make sure to read the install instructions (or this post) - after downloading it from the workshop you still have to download this mod for UnityModManager and put it in AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader\UnityModManager

For now anyway, I think actual Workshop support right out the box is coming soonish