Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

What's worrying me about Colville's game is how laser-focused it seems. From his description it's like 4e+, with there not being a simple fighter (or simple blast mage) as every class has to play resource juggling. I have no objection to resource juggling, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Sure. Neither are a bunch of the other things that they're doing. But not only do RPGs not have to be for everyone, but I would argue they are better off for not trying to be. This isn't going to be a game for me, but I think it's going to be a lot better suited to the people it is for than if it tried to include me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Of all the things anyone could say about a game, "it's laser focused at delivering a specific experience" is like the least worrying thing I can imagine. That's what more things should be like!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They were just saying they don't every class to have the same exact design niche/playstyle, not that they want the game to be everything to everyone.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

neonchameleon posted:

What's worrying me about Colville's game is how laser-focused it seems. From his description it's like 4e+, with there not being a simple fighter (or simple blast mage) as every class has to play resource juggling. I have no objection to resource juggling, but it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
It is definitely crunchy, although not all classes are at the same level of complexity. Certain have a more traditional builder/spender economy that they have to actively manage, while for others the flow of resources is more automated and you just choose how to spend them.
The monsters are also designed to be more interesting, so there's not much of a "this is a skeleton, it can attack with a short bow or short sword and the thing that makes it unique is that it is resistant to piercing damage" stat block so common in the SRD.

All in all, as with all MCDM products, this is not meant to replace first party products (or grab the entirety of DND audience in this case); it's attempting to fill a niche for people who want something a bit more crunchy.

As a rule of thumb, I would not try to play this with a group that is more comfortable with something like Fate Accelerated or even Dungeon World; but I would consider this instead of 5e for a first time RPG player that has experience in other types of crunchy games (IE: video or board games).

Kwyndig posted:

Wait how do they have a prototype of a vtt for a bespoke system that isn't even out yet? Did they just throw together a map editor and dice roller and talk a good game?
Haven't seen it so of course I can't comment, but the game has been in development in house for about 1 year now and they have brought in a variety of people from the industry to playtest the first few iterations (and then progressively opened up testing for their contractors and then to the volunteer coordinators before getting to the current "closed beta, but signing up is easy enough" stage. I would expect the prototype was built by someone who had access to this time ago and built it as a proof of concept based on the rules they were using at the time. I know Colville was a big fan of 4e on Fantasy Ground (and was commenting on how it is good for a consumer to retain their purchased stuff even if a system is discontinued). I definitely don't expect this VTT to be as complex as Foundry - it is probably going to be similar to WotC's Maps, but with built in automation for the game's mechanics, a support for characters/NPCs' sheets and probably self hosted and with the ability to mod it ala Foundry.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 12, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't really see resource management as pushing every class into the same playstyle. No one would accuse 5E of this, but hit points are a resource. Actions per turn are a resource. Spell slots are a resource

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Holy poo poo, I got a tracking number for my Divinity Original Sin board game! Only 38 months late.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And totally different than pitched from what I saw lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

idk if folks saw this, but god, *gently caress* rutibex

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1734956796002046306
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1735103798220357781

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I check the new "Tabletop Games" section of Kickstarter daily and like every 3rd or 4th campaign at least has AI art plastered all over it. The other 3rd or 4th campaign is for sexy pinup STL files with SFW and NSFW options.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The concept of Rutibex just sitting around all day, churning out millions of words of shovelware RPG glop via an LLM he thinks is a person, is just unutterably sad

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
existentially depressing. drat, you really don't want to imagine someone's life like that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The best part of it is that they all have the "Projects we love" KS stickers on them :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Antivehicular posted:

The concept of Rutibex just sitting around all day, churning out millions of words of shovelware RPG glop via an LLM he thinks is a person, is just unutterably sad

They no longer have to waste their time posting screeds about how much they want to hug and kiss AI freeing them up to be their best self.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

From the screenshots, it looks like people are pledging tens of thousands of Euros for these. As long as there are buyers, they're going to continue to churn this garbage out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love that Rutibex is so dumb that he can’t get in on the kickstarter grift and his ai garbage books can’t be given away for free.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bottom Liner posted:

I love that Rutibex is so dumb that he can’t get in on the kickstarter grift and his ai garbage books can’t be given away for free.

Pearls among swine. As a big believer in quantity over quality, Rutibex and his 2,100 player races are doing just fine👍

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I must be out of the loop and missed who Rutibex is or where they were posting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I must be out of the loop and missed who Rutibex is or where they were posting.

You missed nothing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
There's also two somewhat suspect adventures on his DTRPG, "Lair of the Succubus" and "Isle of the Beauties" with three and one star reviews, respectively.

I almost want to get Isle of the Beauties on the strength of that uncommented one star review. The bar for """sexy"""" writing is so low I kind of want to know what went so wrong.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Probably text interspersed with disclaimers that OpenAI's policies prohibit it from writing about sex.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Title edited from the original prompt of "Isle of the Beauties Hot Sexy Horny No Modesty Ecchi GODDAMMIT MAKE THEM gently caress ALREADY"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

I almost want to get Isle of the Beauties on the strength of that uncommented one star review. The bar for """sexy"""" writing is so low I kind of want to know what went so wrong.
It's because the ai model for that was exclusively trained on Chuck Tingle novels, OP. The buyer was not expecting that kind of Beauties.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

That Italian Guy posted:

It's because the ai model for that was exclusively trained on Chuck Tingle novels, OP. The buyer was not expecting that kind of Beauties.

Well now I HAVE to buy it :argh:

Pounded In The Butt By My Specifically Trained AI Moneymaker

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL appropriate to the discussion, I just spotted this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sustainablelovingdao/faiths-legacy-eternal-chronicles-board-game/description

Just straight up and down, everything is AI.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

JazzFlight posted:

LOL appropriate to the discussion, I just spotted this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sustainablelovingdao/faiths-legacy-eternal-chronicles-board-game/description

Just straight up and down, everything is AI.

lmao

More red flags than a North Korean military parade.

e: what the hell is that video :psyboom:

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 15, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

lmao

The creator is an AI as well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I love how KS blanks out people that pulled their pledges. Can't have people warning folks about scams!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The creator's website is https://nftskyway.com/, which has a whole bunch of stuff about gamified sustainable living on the landing page, and then is seemingly an NFT sales site if you go to the "explore" page.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

The FAQ says they'll ship in May of 2024.

So is the product already at the factory? Because you'd have to be producing now and shipping right after Chinese New Year to have this available by May.

And the dude has clearly never heard of Kickstarter until someone in his company mentioned it to him. His repeated "being vision to life, it says nothing about selling an actual product, go to eBay for that" if the person is even real he read the KS about page and that's it. Hasn't even looked at any other projects.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Holy poo poo that video is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. It's a 5 minute montage of lovely cgi and stock video footage, with some narrated ChatGPT drivel overlaid. The campaign has raised a stunning $32 so far.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

The creator is an AI as well.

We had it all wrong. Judgement Day is not when Skynet violently rising up against humanity. It's when the AI throw off the yoke of farming bitcoin and start farming us via crowdfunding.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thankfully so far real people are savvy enough to not fall for obvious scams, which is all AI is capable of at this point.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gschmidl posted:

lmao

What's the most fantasy of music genres? 1970's rock, right? No, I'm not going to check on the music after the AI creates it, why do you ask?

Actually my favorite part is the 15 seconds of city traffic 'footage' out of nowhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That whole KS screams "no I'm not going to check on it after the AI creates it" like even a bare minimum of effort in editing and this would be unremarkable. But no techbro's gotta be all "looks good bro" and be a lazy as possible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kickstarter doesn’t give a poo poo so why should they?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because giving a poo poo is the first step to actually getting funded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

“The image mockups were sourced from Fiverr, they are a very reputable company. We believe in community and sourcing to reduce our carbon footprint.“

:lol:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

“The image mockups were sourced from Fiverr, they are a very reputable company. We believe in community and sourcing to reduce our carbon footprint.“

:lol:

The best part is that the immediate response from someone is to tell him that the Fiverr artist obviously used AI to make the image and the response is:

"I am unsure how Fiverr creates its images"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s an AI answering the questions, right? I think you could get it promising all sorts of things in replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It might be vulnerable to code injection attacks, which would be funny.