Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Moonfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You also have to watch the tie in TV series, Moonlighting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

M-O-O-N, that spells cinematic universe.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Rebel Moon*

:latestfad:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

How could you all forget

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

I just finished watching it, don't ask. I'd like to share my spoiler free thoughts and this looked like the right place. I can't wait to dissect this movie later after release.

First off. This movie seems like it was written by A.I.. It cribs heavily from Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Matrix and Avatar all in the first half hour. The script is incredibly predictable and derivative and I expected nothing more from Snyder. There are extreme gaps in the plotline that I can only attribute to the editing floor and seeing that this was Zac's passion project, I would guess that the first draft of the script was probably five hundred pages long. In the second act characters are suddenly introduced with the apparent expectation from the viewer that we know who these people are and are excited to see them be part of the super team. But alas.

The visuals are outstanding. I saw this at home in 1080p and I gotta say it's the best looking movie I've seen since The Creator which is now my litmus test for special effects. I've always liked Snyder's visual style and it works well for this type of movie. The art direction is great but again, borrows heavily from Dune, 40K, Star Wars, etc.. It's refreshing to see a new Sci Fi world that doesn't rely on source material even if it is heavily influenced by other media. Yes there are lightsabers. Thankfully they are used sparingly. The technology at times makes little logical sense but no more than you'd expect from Star Wars. This is Science Fantasy not Hard Sci Fi.

Overall I enjoyed it. I love seeing fresh Sci Fi ideas in big budget movies like we've seen this year in both Rebel Moon and The Creator. It's not going to win any Oscars but I'm curious to see where they go from here. I can tell you that Netflix has made a major long term investment in this franchise and will no doubt milk it for what they can. I hope Snyder and Co. can keep it interesting for at least two or three films.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

And yeah from what Ive gathered it seems once again they made the mistake of not just letting the full vision/directors cut be the standard cut. I hope Netflix changes their mind and for Part 2 and beyond they dont do this dual cut bullshit, its clearly never been the good choice with Snyders films.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It seems like the lesson Netflix learned from the ZSJL fiasco is not "people want to see Snyder's original unfiltered intent" but "people love alternate cuts." I gotta be honest I'm ride or die for Zack but I don't know if I can do the theatrical cut of part one, the director's cut of part one, the theatrical of part two, and then the director's cut of part two. I might just wait till January.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ngl "these characters don't have an origin story!" is a pretty strong positive pitch

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

It seems like the lesson Netflix learned from the ZSJL fiasco is not "people want to see Snyder's original unfiltered intent" but "people love alternate cuts." I gotta be honest I'm ride or die for Zack but I don't know if I can do the theatrical cut of part one, the director's cut of part one, the theatrical of part two, and then the director's cut of part two. I might just wait till January.

I'm not privy to whether a Snyder Cut was their initial intention but if they did release one I would definitely watch it. I will say that I'm not a particular Snyder fan but this was my favorite of his movies behind Dawn of the Dead and maybe Watchmen. I wish you could have seen the cut of Army of the Dead with the pedophile instead of the lesbian helicopter pilot. I told Netflix that he was my favorite part of the movie then a couple months later before release, whelp.....

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

James Woods posted:

I'm not privy to whether a Snyder Cut was their initial intention but if they did release one I would definitely watch it. I will say that I'm not a particular Snyder fan but this was my favorite of his movies behind Dawn of the Dead and maybe Watchmen. I wish you could have seen the cut of Army of the Dead with the pedophile instead of the lesbian helicopter pilot. I told Netflix that he was my favorite part of the movie then a couple months later before release, whelp.....

That is indeed the case. They’re doing R-rated director’s cuts of each later on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

James Woods posted:

I just finished watching it, don't ask. I'd like to share my spoiler free thoughts and this looked like the right place. I can't wait to dissect this movie later after release.

First off. This movie seems like it was written by A.I.. It cribs heavily from Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Matrix and Avatar all in the first half hour. The script is incredibly predictable and derivative and I expected nothing more from Snyder. There are extreme gaps in the plotline that I can only attribute to the editing floor and seeing that this was Zac's passion project, I would guess that the first draft of the script was probably five hundred pages long. In the second act characters are suddenly introduced with the apparent expectation from the viewer that we know who these people are and are excited to see them be part of the super team. But alas.

The visuals are outstanding. I saw this at home in 1080p and I gotta say it's the best looking movie I've seen since The Creator which is now my litmus test for special effects. I've always liked Snyder's visual style and it works well for this type of movie. The art direction is great but again, borrows heavily from Dune, 40K, Star Wars, etc.. It's refreshing to see a new Sci Fi world that doesn't rely on source material even if it is heavily influenced by other media. Yes there are lightsabers. Thankfully they are used sparingly. The technology at times makes little logical sense but no more than you'd expect from Star Wars. This is Science Fantasy not Hard Sci Fi.

Overall I enjoyed it. I love seeing fresh Sci Fi ideas in big budget movies like we've seen this year in both Rebel Moon and The Creator. It's not going to win any Oscars but I'm curious to see where they go from here. I can tell you that Netflix has made a major long term investment in this franchise and will no doubt milk it for what they can. I hope Snyder and Co. can keep it interesting for at least two or three films.

When the movie is fully out care to elaborate on the first paragraph? I'm sure at that point we'll all see what you mean but, for you, when does influence begin and wholesale copy begin? How is this unique to Snyder that you wouldn't expect him to be wholly original compared to any other director making a new genre IP? This isn't some gotcha or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Even if it's just a "I generally don't care for the guy's work so I'm more critical of these aspects than I would be otherwise" I'd love to know. Everyone has different tastes. That said, that all lines up with about what I put together from all the previews and trailers. While I hoped differently I knew the "dual cut" approach would leave one of them weaker than the other - either the "PG-13" cut would be the definitive way of seeing it and the "R" cut would be a lot of extra fun stuff but ultimately kill the pacing or the previous would be a trimmed down version of the later and suffer from the gaps.

Still looking forward to seeing it come the 21st and then the longer version to compare and contrast. The Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman really made the theatrical obsolete for me.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 12, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AccountSupervisor posted:

And yeah from what Ive gathered it seems once again they made the mistake of not just letting the full vision/directors cut be the standard cut.

:lol: that every Snyder film is like this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Like, you really do have to hand it to the man for being a success while having an approach that's repeatedly proven completely antithetical to studio limits.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"written by AI" joins "grimdark" and "plot holes" in The Big Bin of Terms That People Use That Can Mean Almost Anything.

Do you mean it's derivative? Just say it's derivative.
Do you mean it's an algamation of stuff mashed together? Just say that.
Do you mean that it steals visuals from other stuff? Say that.

For gently caress's sake dude, nobody has any idea what "written by AI" means other than some nebulous "the writing is not good." I believe you...but how?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

At one point the main character starts repeating the word "continue" 400 times then the full script of Star Wars and both sequels.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An anime where instead of shouting the name of the attack they shout "HDR Unreal Engine 5 hyperrealistic beautiful big breasts trending on artstation"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Inglorious Basterds but during the cellar scene, when Archie Hicox is ordering the last round of drinks, Hellstrom's head explodes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I find people usually underrate the writing on Synder films (at least compared to how I view them), but I guess this just the third film he has wrote himself without some existing ip or comic. But I like army of the dead a lot of rewatch, so expecting Moon to be fun stuff also.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

James Woods posted:

Thanks for your review!

Like others have said, this is the shorter cut and they'll be releasing an R-rated 3 hour version later, which might help explain the gaps in the plotline you experienced.

I think that the idea is that it's easier to sell the general public a 2 hour movie because a 3 hour part one movie can be a bit daunting. I recall Zack saying the barrier of entry for someone to watch a movie is really low, but so is the barrier of leaving (if that makes sense), and they probably got tons of metrics that says a shorter movie sells better than a longer one.

Zacks movies are also often deceptively simple on the surface, but can have a lot more meaning once you start digging into them a bit. He likes making movies you can just enjoy as a roller coaster ride but that's also rewarding if you engage with it in a bit deeper level, so I'm really eager to see if it holds up here.

Anyway, thanks again for your review, I hope you stick around!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also, cute Q&A with Zack

https://twitter.com/AlbertLaro_/status/1733860348669678006

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

2house2fly posted:

An anime where instead of shouting the name of the attack they shout "HDR Unreal Engine 5 hyperrealistic beautiful big breasts trending on artstation"

what do you mean instead of the name of the attack

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:siren: I will be streaming Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon next week for two nights in the CineD Discord — Thursday 12/21 at ~9PM CT and Friday 12/22 ~9PM CT :siren:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

2house2fly posted:

Pretty sure this is a jojo stand

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

McCloud posted:

I think that the idea is that it's easier to sell the general public a 2 hour movie because a 3 hour part one movie can be a bit daunting. I recall Zack saying the barrier of entry for someone to watch a movie is really low, but so is the barrier of leaving (if that makes sense), and they probably got tons of metrics that says a shorter movie sells better than a longer one.

Iirc netflix (or people who've worked af/for netflix) has said that metrics show 2 hours tend to be the ideal movie length. It's like the gregg turkington on cinema bit about runtimes but for real. It's very silly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"written by AI" joins "grimdark" and "plot holes" in The Big Bin of Terms That People Use That Can Mean Almost Anything.

For gently caress's sake dude, nobody has any idea what "written by AI" means other than some nebulous "the writing is not good." I believe you...but how?

I get it. It’s like those ai script generator images that are probably fake but they basically take all the tropes and ideas and throw them around in somewhat but not super coherent way. Like it’s a lot of and then and then and then happens instead of something that’s really about the story and characters or something.

Idk I haven’t seen it obviously but i get what written by ai means.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

I get it. It’s like those ai script generator images that are probably fake but they basically take all the tropes and ideas and throw them around in somewhat but not super coherent way. Like it’s a lot of and then and then and then happens instead of something that’s really about the story and characters or something.

Game master Anthony but written by chatgpt

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ready player one is written by an ai

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Game master Anthony but written by chatgpt

It's Zack Snyder's birthday today! That means only one thing...bring it in guys!

*three hundred glistening muscle men and Xerxes come in with everything for a HUGE party*

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

When the movie is fully out care to elaborate on the first paragraph? I'm sure at that point we'll all see what you mean but, for you, when does influence begin and wholesale copy begin? How is this unique to Snyder that you wouldn't expect him to be wholly original compared to any other director making a new genre IP? This isn't some gotcha or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Even if it's just a "I generally don't care for the guy's work so I'm more critical of these aspects than I would be otherwise" I'd love to know. Everyone has different tastes. That said, that all lines up with about what I put together from all the previews and trailers. While I hoped differently I knew the "dual cut" approach would leave one of them weaker than the other - either the "PG-13" cut would be the definitive way of seeing it and the "R" cut would be a lot of extra fun stuff but ultimately kill the pacing or the previous would be a trimmed down version of the later and suffer from the gaps.

Still looking forward to seeing it come the 21st and then the longer version to compare and contrast. The Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman really made the theatrical obsolete for me.

I never meant to imply that the script is a wholesale copy, just derivative. Nor do I believe that this type of screenwriting is unique to Snyder. It's more a manifestation of my expectations knowing a little about the process by which he film was made. When you see the film my review will seem more prescient, trust me. Upon my first viewing I was almost taken out of the experience because I was constantly pointing out similarities to similar films/media, that's all I meant. One day later, as I write this, my partner with whom I watched it with cannot remember a single thing about the film because it did not in her words "make an impression". I do not nessacerily agree.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's derivative. There. Have you watched any A.I. created content? Never said "grimdark" by the way. And that comment "written by A.I." alone might elicit such a response if by itself but I followed it with several paragraphs explaining my thoughts. Chill daddy.

CelticPredator posted:

This guy gets it.

McCloud posted:

Thanks for your review!

Like others have said, this is the shorter cut and they'll be releasing an R-rated 3 hour version later, which might help explain the gaps in the plotline you experienced.

Zacks movies are also often deceptively simple on the surface, but can have a lot more meaning once you start digging into them a bit. He likes making movies you can just enjoy as a roller coaster ride but that's also rewarding if you engage with it in a bit deeper level, so I'm really eager to see if it holds up here.

Anyway, thanks again for your review, I hope you stick around!

Again I have nothing against Snyder. I love his visual style and know that he's capable of formulating a captivating scene. His DOTD remake in my opinion was genius and made me forever follow him as an artist. He's had pitfalls but arguably a lot of that can be attributed to his clashes with the studios. I have been following this project since before it was announced and was hopeful that given a budget, creative control and most importantly not working from existing i.p. that he would thrive. Overall I was not disappointed and can't wait to se where he goes from here.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alright, the detractor shall not be destroyed... yet

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AI really, really loves redundancy and repeating itself when writing. It will inevitably keep saying the same thing twice slightly differently to add fluff to stuff. So when you see a script that loves repeating itself over and over, it gets questionable.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hey there! I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the movie as much as you expected. However, I’m glad to hear that you found the visuals to be outstanding. It’s always great to see a movie that is visually stunning.

It’s interesting that you mentioned that the movie seems like it was written by A.I. and that it borrows heavily from other movies like Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Matrix, and Avatar. While it’s true that many movies borrow elements from other movies, it’s important to remember that every movie is unique in its own way. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the art direction and that it was refreshing to see a new Sci Fi world that doesn’t rely on source material.

Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed the movie despite its flaws. It’s great to see fresh Sci Fi ideas in big budget movies, and I’m excited to see where they go from here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That the movie comes off as Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off is probably not surprising given it more or less is, and the smart move given not like we're getting a halfway decent Star Wars movie any time soon under the Mouse. Lol, it's Bloodstained: Symphony of the Night.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

josh04 posted:

Hey there! I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the movie as much as you expected. However, I’m glad to hear that you found the visuals to be outstanding. It’s always great to see a movie that is visually stunning.

It’s interesting that you mentioned that the movie seems like it was written by A.I. and that it borrows heavily from other movies like Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Matrix, and Avatar. While it’s true that many movies borrow elements from other movies, it’s important to remember that every movie is unique in its own way. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the art direction and that it was refreshing to see a new Sci Fi world that doesn’t rely on source material.

Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed the movie despite its flaws. It’s great to see fresh Sci Fi ideas in big budget movies, and I’m excited to see where they go from here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Oh, this is good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darko posted:

AI really, really loves redundancy and repeating itself when writing. It will inevitably keep saying the same thing twice slightly differently to add fluff to stuff. So when you see a script that loves repeating itself over and over, it gets questionable.

It's like poetry, it rhymes

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Do we ever have any big sci fi action films that don’t feel derivative at this point. Obviously there’s degrees and we will see how much soon, but new Dune has shown how much Star Wars borrowed from that, and matrix took so much from anime/dark city. And last years Everything, Everywhere was very open about its matrix influences.

I guess are new films derivative or just communicating with concepts we naturally understand now as part of pop culture.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Lmao.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

James Woods posted:

It's derivative. There. Have you watched any A.I. created content? Never said "grimdark" by the way. And that comment "written by A.I." alone might elicit such a response if by itself but I followed it with several paragraphs explaining my thoughts. Chill daddy.

Look, if I'm coming off as hostile I'm sorry. It's frustration. Do you know how impossibly broad "AI content" is? Now, you did say that it was derivative just a sentence later, so why post it in the first place? It's a nothing phrase that just indicates contempt. Which is fine! You can find a Heavy Metal mash-up to be total poo poo, I definitely can too. Why wouldn't you say "contemptibly derivative" which would let me, the reader, know exactly how you felt, instead of wondering if the movie contains weird surreal imagery or bland and wooden performances?

Thanks for the post, and again please don't read this as a condemnation of you specifically, but rather frustration with this catchphrase, which I've seen burst onto the scene and used in a dozen conflicting ways over the last six months. I'm bummed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if you say "like an AI generated it" in 2023 i'm going to assume you mean actual SEO-optimized gibberish and not, like, that meme from a decade ago where you pretend a computer made your not-very-funny parody of something popular

like this is what I imagine when I hear that: https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728310533147791602