Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

IShallRiseAgain posted:

For AC Odyssey the mechanic was just awkwardly stapled onto the game as another thing to do. It was a pure filler in a game full of filler.

I was amazed that Odyssey didn't have any settlement/stronghold upgrade system because it seems like exactly the kind of game that would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOVZzSzzbY

Sideways (a YouTuber who made a lot of good videos about music) stopped making videos a while back. He posted this video explain why, and details plagiarism accusations against former collaborator Adam Neeley.

Wow. Never knew Neeley was such a slimeball. The Twitter excuses don’t convince me one bit, nor does that Reddit post.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I mean yes the 'languages' line is something I've heard well before youtube was even a thing which probably means before Sideways was born too, but other issues named are less specious. Going so strongly on that point isn't helping his overall perception even though he has much stronger complaints; ones legitimate enough for Neely to admit fault and guilt around.

Yeah it seems like a mess. I don't know though, the stronger cases sound pretty similar to the things Sideways himself admits he did, absorbing some commentary from a peer and repeating it. Either way, it shouldn't be something that paralyzes him and blocks his ability to create stuff. If grad school is making it too stressful or difficult to create videos, that's fair and I hope he can get in a better headspace once that's done or at least walks away on his own terms and with peace of mind.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DC Murderverse posted:

Matt Baume, who was mentioned in hbomb’s video as basically the version of James Somerton that doesn’t lie and steal and suck, just posted his new video

https://youtu.be/sUt3CKFwNmU?si=jQWydB_F1mEAbJKd

I can almost guarantee that you will not leave this video dry-eyed, even if you already know how Rock Hudson’s story ends.

Double posting because woof yeah this is a great video but also tear-jerking. The bit at the end when they break the news about Rock Hudson's AIDS diagnosis followed by a rush of his friends and fans sending their love and support is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUt3CKFwNmU&t=3247s

(This is right after the segment where Nancy Regan blew off messages from Hudson's friends asking her to help get him transferred to a military hospital where a doctor he'd been seeing for treatment was now working.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

For AC Odyssey the mechanic was just awkwardly stapled onto the game as another thing to do. It was a pure filler in a game full of filler.

Not quite. It actually acts like the heat mechanic in GTA and similar games - gently caress poo poo up in “protected” areas and you get bounty hunters seeking you out. Killing, driving them off, or recruiting them in turn weakened the local ruler’s hold on the region, making it a useful part of the process of flipping it. Add that fighting the hunters themselves could be quite exciting, as they hunted you down, had stronger abilities and difficulty, and often engaged when you were already fighting regular enemies, and it worked quite well. Honestly a lot of Odyssey’s systems feed into each other pretty well, there’s just so many of them it’s easy to forget what affects what and where.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arivia posted:

Not quite. It actually acts like the heat mechanic in GTA and similar games - gently caress poo poo up in “protected” areas and you get bounty hunters seeking you out. Killing, driving them off, or recruiting them in turn weakened the local ruler’s hold on the region, making it a useful part of the process of flipping it. Add that fighting the hunters themselves could be quite exciting, as they hunted you down, had stronger abilities and difficulty, and often engaged when you were already fighting regular enemies, and it worked quite well. Honestly a lot of Odyssey’s systems feed into each other pretty well, there’s just so many of them it’s easy to forget what affects what and where.

Flipping regions, itself a completely pointless mechanic that doesn't go anywhere or do anything.

I liked the game a lot but I never really understood what they were going for by conflating wanted levels and the nemesis system. The two didn't actually serve each other particularly well and mostly just had the negatives of both.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A game it should be noted felt fairly replete with things that you could do but didn't really matter much in the long run. I remember looking up a target or something and seeing they were all the way across the map that would include at least one long boat ride and uninstalled Odyssey and never went back to it.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Someone posted this and I apologize that I can’t find the post but this is my favorite Girl with the Dogs video yet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AzNua65PJPw

The drying section is nuts, SO much hair. The dog is literally dripping with hair.

Also I think I’ve posted this before but I always think of it when Girl with the Dogs is posted (because I hate watching her groom cats):

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8mdepxC/

AskACatGroomer is the most chill cat groomer I’ve seen. 😎

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://x.com/GreatCheshire/status/1734228943325081911?s=20

Lady Emily weighs in on Sideways-Neely, says it probably isn't plagiarism

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeJXF55HXRI

The Philly man is back.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

AC Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla were neat, I like the 'RPG' AC's well enough.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

I really don't think that's a good time to approach her dude, seems like she's got enough going on there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Flipping regions, itself a completely pointless mechanic that doesn't go anywhere or do anything.
It undermines a lot of the setting and narrative.

Because there are huge mechanical benefits to flipping regions they can't really give you strong stakes to help one side over the other; both options have to be equally valid at all times, and the player should never feel bad about choosing a side or in changing which side they are supporting. It means the Spartans and Athenians are just flattened out into Red and Blue rather than having any unique characteristics or personality.

It also means that the game is encouraging the player to prolong the war and fuel both sides for personal gain, which is exactly what the evil conspiracy cult are doing. Valhalla has a huge problem where it doesn't realise the player is a villain but it's present in Odyssey too.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Autisanal Cheese posted:

https://x.com/GreatCheshire/status/1734228943325081911?s=20

Lady Emily weighs in on Sideways-Neely, says it probably isn't plagiarism

Dan Olson himself weighs in too:

quote:

Sideways has been, by his own admission, losing his mind over this for years.

Here's excerpts from a Patreon post he wrote in June '22:

quote:

So here's thing thing:

Everything I've seen makes it seem like this is a me problem.

Like I don't understand what plagiarism is or I don't understand some kinda cultural thing going on about how similar two things can be before it's ok to get upset.

Like I just missed the boat somehow and everything is fine.

And if that's the case then fine, cool, but I need someone to explain it to me because I just don't get it.

I'm stuck, like, REALLY stuck, and if anyone has any thoughts or ideas then jesus please send them my way.

I've literally written and produced 4 different videos over the last 6-8 months but just can't bring myself to publish them over this. I just can't move past like, how much work goes into these videos just for it to kinda fall apart for me.

This is a tragic situation, but not for the reasons stated: Sideways has, at worst, had his toes stepped on. In reality he is seeing phantoms, he has become obsessed with similarities and compulsively views them as theft. One of his examples is Doug Walker, who I can guarantee has never seen a single Sideways video, using the same quote about Tarzan, a quote prominently featured on the Wikipedia page for the movie.

He accuses Vox of ripping off his observations about Part of Your World being an "I want" song in a video that came out two days after his video about The Little Mermaid. Like, just on its face this is absurd: Vox did not see his video and then race to copy it within 48 hours. Disney's "I want" songs are the first thing you learn about the structure of Disney musicals. The point that he is claiming as uniquely his is incredibly common knowledge and the mechanics of the supposed theft are nonsense.

People have pointed out hundreds and hundreds of times that "keys are like languages" is an extremely old and common analogy, surfacing examples from years, decades, even centuries before Sideways made his analogy for the circle of fifths.

This is an obsession, it's not rational, and it has locked him up creatively. His peers, both on YouTube and in academia, have tried to explain to him that he's chasing ghosts, and sometimes he accepts that that's a possibility before regressing into accusations and continuing to compile his dossier of every time someone used the same source or talked about an idea in broadly the same way.

He has convinced himself that his ideas are more unique than they really are and thus anyone else mirroring those ideas must have got them from him and he is haunted by that, haunted by the possibility that someone in the future might take from videos he hasn't even published yet, to the point that he can't bring himself to publish anything. It's a mental health crisis, and it's heartbreaking.

Neely, for his part, has been extremely deferential and has taken an approach of avoiding even the shadow of impropriety, taking down videos purely for starting from the same talking point as Sideways. He has done literally nothing wrong here and has still taken steps to try and appease Sideways.

But Sideways, and his partner Sarah, can't be appeased because their claim isn't rational. You can see that just in the way that they both talk about how it seems to them that Sideways is being uniquely targeted, that for some reason they can't explain he, specifically, is being plagiarized with impunity over, and over, and over, and over again by dozens of unrelated parties. In other words: Sideways is being gangstalked.

So, again, this is a tragedy: Sideways is good at what he does, people like him as an educator and personality because he does have good insights and a keen talent for explaining things. It is profoundly sad to watch him get devoured by this spectre of his own imagination, and worse that in his self-destruction he's trying to drag down another talented and insightful educator.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

powerful dudes rock conclusion to this video

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was gonna say the sideways accusation read really like years ago when I saw aquarium YouTube drama where a guy claims another is plagiarising his asmr walstad tank content, except the other guy pivoted into a different format and became more successful and made the accuser look like they were served sour grapes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I was gonna say the sideways accusation read really like years ago when I saw aquarium YouTube drama where a guy claims another is plagiarising his asmr walstad tank content, except the other guy pivoted into a different format and became more successful and made the accuser look like they were served sour grapes

i'll eat sour grapes on vid

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i missed him so much

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aquarium YT drama that didn't involve king of diy? :monocle:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Wow, it feels like Hbomb’s vid has had a whole ripple effect of aired out YouTuber drama.

The Sideways stuff reminds me of some similar accusations between my classmates in art school. People working in the same circles, exposed to the same influences, taking the same classes accusing eachother of copying their “original”ideas. But what’s often creative in a person’s work is the execution of an idea. And that can be really hard for a creative person to recognize: that the way they express their thoughts & ideas is unique to them and has value.

Sideways’ videos are great but I don’t go to him because I think his thoughts are so unique and original, but because he’s really great at explaining his thoughts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think his stuff is too weird for me to relate too. But that’s mostly because he ignores real world reasons for headier reasons and idk.

I got it wrong originally with what I said about the trailer music video but rewatching it it is weird how he completely neglects the fact For way too long that no one cares what the music means as long as it’s cool and it sells the product bc that’s how the marketing industry works

Cool to go deeper but imo use a better example

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

guy claims another is plagiarising his asmr walstad tank

Just wanna say that I love this sentence. Gonna use this when I diagnose a problem and I have no idea what I'm talking about and blame their ASMR walstad tank being busted for why someone's tractor won't get up and go or something.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 12, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

Just wanna say that I love this sentence. Gonna use this when I diagnose a problem and I have no idea what I'm talking about and blame their ASMR walstad tank being busted for why someone's tractor won't get up and go or something.

I think it might be this kind of thing?
https://youtu.be/sQBc85gg7HU?si=utywJSTF9tRU8BWd
But I like your usage too!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

B33rChiller posted:

lol you actually did hit the accuser's youtube dead on

he took the video down but i remember it including these screenshots of him being very mad at the other guy's video comments accusing them of plagiarism and the other guy is like, oh sorry i thought this was the aquarium youtuber trend now, but i'm doing other kinds of videos now! and the second guy being increasingly popular while the first guy fumes about it

it's very much a "two cakes!" situation and i'm sad the first guy stopped doing this because all his walstad tanks failed in a move and almost all his pets died

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Whoa I read that reddit comment hours ago and I didn't know it was Dan Olson lol

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Whoa I read that reddit comment hours ago and I didn't know it was Dan Olson lol

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I skimmed through this and drat that's a lot more work than I thought it would be. I do love the look of them though. The end is legit heartbreaking seeing the tank dismantled and the faded outline of the tank on an empty table being all that remains of that lovely little ecosystem.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 12, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Double posting because woof yeah this is a great video but also tear-jerking. The bit at the end when they break the news about Rock Hudson's AIDS diagnosis followed by a rush of his friends and fans sending their love and support is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUt3CKFwNmU&t=3247s

(This is right after the segment where Nancy Regan blew off messages from Hudson's friends asking her to help get him transferred to a military hospital where a doctor he'd been seeing for treatment was now working.)
I’ve watched Baume for a few years now, and his stuff is always interesting to watch. A warning though that, in covering a lot of actors from the 50s-70s, you tend to get fairly depressing stories about people forced to stay in the closet, and not always getting a super happy end to their lives :smith:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pants Donkey posted:

I’ve watched Baume for a few years now, and his stuff is always interesting to watch. A warning though that, in covering a lot of actors from the 50s-70s, you tend to get fairly depressing stories about people forced to stay in the closet, and not always getting a super happy end to their lives :smith:

This is unfortunately very true. There are exceptions, though! The recent Tab Hunter video was about an actor from about the same time as Rock Hudson (they even had the same agent) but Hunter was able to come out later in life and live openly, and his story has a much happier ending than Hudson’s, although no less affecting.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I should really watch more of Matt Baume’s stuff, this Rock Hudson video was real good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because there are huge mechanical benefits to flipping regions

There are? :confused:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Obviously it's not a game you have to minmax to beat but if you are trying to be completionist you'll end up doing it a bunch. Various quests require the conquest battles (and some are just easiest to do in them), plus they are a pretty efficient way to get some engravings done. And even if you aren't trying to flip a region a lot of things you'll be doing will end up triggering the possibility anyway.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOVZzSzzbY

Sideways (a YouTuber who made a lot of good videos about music) stopped making videos a while back. He posted this video explain why, and details plagiarism accusations against former collaborator Adam Neeley.

Read that as Brad Neely and got VERY confused for a second

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Obviously it's not a game you have to minmax to beat but if you are trying to be completionist you'll end up doing it a bunch. Various quests require the conquest battles (and some are just easiest to do in them), plus they are a pretty efficient way to get some engravings done. And even if you aren't trying to flip a region a lot of things you'll be doing will end up triggering the possibility anyway.

Yeah but...to what end? The game hypes them up but realistically they just give a bunch of XP and loot. In a game where doing literally anything gives copious amounts of both.

I'm a sicko who 100%ed the entire game and I only recall doing maybe...five total across whatever silly amount of hours it took.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Man, I've missed Pat. He clearly puts a ton of effort into this stuff while making it look like a chaotic improvised mess.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Man, I've missed Pat. He clearly puts a ton of effort into this stuff while making it look like a chaotic improvised mess.

welp this looks like a new playlist I'm watching

god he's got some loving charm, that Pat Finnerty

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah but...to what end? The game hypes them up but realistically they just give a bunch of XP and loot. In a game where doing literally anything gives copious amounts of both.
It's not that a conquest battle itself has good rewards, it's that they can be efficient ways of doing other things. But yeah, you don't need to be efficient to beat the game.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It also means that the game is encouraging the player to prolong the war and fuel both sides for personal gain, which is exactly what the evil conspiracy cult are doing. Valhalla has a huge problem where it doesn't realise the player is a villain but it's present in Odyssey too.

I mean, that's pretty much the entire AC series, isn't it? The very first game actually lampshaded the fact that you were a psychopathic serial killer, and your victims would call you out on the ridiculous notion that you were the good guy. In the end, it turns out that the leader of the Assassins is a templar himself. You were just helping one bad guy rid himself of the competition.

It's a pity that the rest of the series abandoned all of the moral ambiguity in favor of making the Assassins 100% the good guys.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shouts out to Valhalla twisting itself into knots trying to morally justify your viking settlement and thereby accidentally applying the colonialist idea of Terra Nullius to Anglo-Saxon England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

SimonChris posted:

I mean, that's pretty much the entire AC series, isn't it? The very first game actually lampshaded the fact that you were a psychopathic serial killer, and your victims would call you out on the ridiculous notion that you were the good guy. In the end, it turns out that the leader of the Assassins is a templar himself. You were just helping one bad guy rid himself of the competition.

It's a pity that the rest of the series abandoned all of the moral ambiguity in favor of making the Assassins 100% the good guys.

It was like that for a while, but this started getting subverted later on. Rogue had a protagonist who defects to the Templars, and Unity showed that there could be evil Assassins as well as good Templars. The more recent games have tended to either take place before the Assassins were established, or have protagonists who aren’t members but are just working with them on some personal goal that isn't always what we'd call heroic.