Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How do i beat the final boss? It just straight up kills my entire party every single loving time. Also the whole fight is extremely poorly done. It keeps flicking back and forth between to locations and I have no idea whats going on.

Like I can get past the outside part, but inside, as soon as the first Orb shows up, it straight up kills anyone who's inside.

And before anyone says it, I already burned through all my flight and misty step abilites and scrolls, and for some reason i can't ever use DD. It always says invalid target.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, if you get there as a Githyanki and you don't have the artifact at all (because you haven't recruited or killed Shadowheart) you can just play along and be ordered to retrieve the artifact.

It's a little tricky because Voss really wants an excuse to kill you (telling him about your parasite makes them attack, saying you're lost makes them attack, approaching with non-githyanki party members makes them attack unless you pass a check, etc) but but you can get through with no checks at all if you say you're from the creche, he just tells you to find the artifact and flies off.

That’s really cool. I got through this part recently as a githyanki and even though I didn’t learn anything about the artifact yet, I still had to bluff my way through because Shadowheart was in my party. If you can get through the speech checks then it is a nice bit of XP at level 3, literally half a bar just for saying “yup well I’ll keep an eye out see ya” lmao

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a good suggested order / checklist for Act 1 on Honor mode? (And later, for future acts?)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mike the TV posted:

Did you have an ever burning Tiefling from Hell in your party?

I hadn't even gotten to her yet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

twistedmentat posted:

How do i beat the final boss? It just straight up kills my entire party every single loving time. Also the whole fight is extremely poorly done. It keeps flicking back and forth between to locations and I have no idea whats going on.

Like I can get past the outside part, but inside, as soon as the first Orb shows up, it straight up kills anyone who's inside.

And before anyone says it, I already burned through all my flight and misty step abilites and scrolls, and for some reason i can't ever use DD. It always says invalid target.

Dimension door lets you teleport a person next to you as well as yourself so the first "choose a target" is asking you if you want to click someone near you to teleport, it's not asking you for the destination yet.

In the final fight when the orb shows up it highlighst a bunch of the floating platforms and you have to make sure none of your team stays standing on those platforms. Similar to how the Nautiloid attacks will highlight where the big guns are going to fire a turn before they do.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Back up your honor mode games.

I have been doing this out of paranoia that I would lose my game to a glitch, and lo and behold I almost did! I had a bug where Karlach wasn't following the rest of the party when grouped, so I figured I'd tell her to go back to camp, join here there, and have her rejoin to reset things. She simply wasn't in camp. I copied back a file I had backed up, and that fixed it.

I was iffy about doing the backup because I don't know if I'll have the self control to delete it when I inevitably wipe, but I'm so glad I did.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alcaras posted:

Is there a good suggested order / checklist for Act 1 on Honor mode? (And later, for future acts?)

warning: vague spoilers about Act 1 encounters below

I'm only like half way through Act 1 but you wanna do the obvious stuff to get to level 4 and avoid some of the harder fights. Keep in mind that vendor inventories update/upgrade when you level so there is a lot better gear available once you hit level 4.

Harpies are very doable at 4 but are probably a little dicey at 3. The owlbear is tough and I'd definitely wait for level 4 or even level 5. The trick to the bosses with honour mode Legendary abilities seems to be to Prone or otherwise CC them so they can't use them? For the owlbear, the honour mode mechanic is she will yell and summon an adult mate which has pretty similar stats. They rage at low HP or when the other dies, which means they take half physical damage.

Once you get to level 4 you can easily complete all of the Underdark. Enter through the Zhentarim hideout and go directly to the myconid village and get Sovereign Glut to follow you around and fight for you. He will heal if you leave to the surface and return, and he can raise a spore zombie. Glut trivializes all of the combat in the Underdark section. Completing it will get you most of the way to level 5.

I managed to hit level 5 with the only big fights I did being: harpies, gnolls/flind, owlbear (this was close), and the Underdark fights (duergar, hook horrors, bulette, minotaurs, spectator, boo'all cave) which were trivialized by Glut and the spore zombie hook horror I raised. Of those the only one that was tough was the owlbear fight.

So, imo, get to level 4 then do the Underdark and you should be able to get to level 5 at which point you're safe doing some of the trickier fights. I would save the gith until level 6 though.

Also, if you don't mind cheese you can still easily rob Arron the halfling in the druid grove. Trade him a pouch, put all his stuff in the pouch, pickpocket the pouch (DC 1), rinse repeat. His inventory refreshes on level-up and long rest.

edit: you can also reliably rob Dammon with the same tactic, I usually have my thief hop behind his tent/forge and to the left there's a dark cliff there you can hide for a minute or two while the guard searches for you

Once you're level 5 you can do Grymforge or whatever. I don't think you can hit 6 without doing Grymforge. That's my plan next, I'd like to wait until 6 to fight the gith and do the creche

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 12, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
speaking of Prone, I think it's probably worth buying some of the ice arrows early on and shooting them at scarier enemies, the ice surface has a chance to prone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Back up your honor mode games.

I have been doing this out of paranoia that I would lose my game to a glitch, and lo and behold I almost did! I had a bug where Karlach wasn't following the rest of the party when grouped, so I figured I'd tell her to go back to camp, join here there, and have her rejoin to reset things. She simply wasn't in camp. I copied back a file I had backed up, and that fixed it.

I was iffy about doing the backup because I don't know if I'll have the self control to delete it when I inevitably wipe, but I'm so glad I did.

My buddies and I started an honor mode playthrough and I very nearly hosed it up by accidentally looting the corpse of one of the people fighting at the entrance to the grove, where you're first introduced to Wyll. Wyll hadn't gone far enough away and aggro'd on our party lol

Luckily you can run away and Wyll will forget he ever saw you

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Me watching a streamer that is proud of not reading tutorials or guides to anything approach the Sirens on Xbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5Ug9gE7SQ

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The harpies are pretty straightforward by level 3 if you use Calm Emotions and don't screw it up by immediately breaking concentration. The problem is knowing that because I didn't find out until I'd already completed the gsme three times.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Pellisworth posted:

Also, if you don't mind cheese you can still easily rob Arron the halfling in the druid grove. Trade him a pouch, put all his stuff in the pouch, pickpocket the pouch (DC 1), rinse repeat.

I thought they patched that out?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

rojay posted:

I thought they patched that out?

they patched the larger exploit where you can buy a pouch full of whatever for 1g.

however you can still dump a vendor's entire inventory into a pouch and then pickpocket at difficulty 1

edit: and Arron and Dammon are the easiest vendors to pickpocket, I can reliably steal all their poo poo without getting busted. It's an easy and rather cheesy way to build a bankroll and get some good gear early on. I'm sure it will be hotfixed as well too, eventually.

edit2: oh there is more than DC 1 for the pouch but it's way way lower than it should be. You can dump a vendor's whole inventory in there and it's a pretty easy roll.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 12, 2023

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Did they change the Lorroakan fight?

I'm doing a tactician run and after ending the initial conversation where I said "I'll tell her you're here just to watch her rip you apart" 3 Silver Servant of Selune npcs spawned in. During the fight they gave a Silver Orb of Selune debuff to enemies (it said Not Found for the description but it caused enemies to take a ton of extra radiant damage). They also had a Sacred Retribution ability which is just hellish rebuke but radiant and more damage. They also kept an invulnerability sphere on Aylin at all times. The fight was insanely easy due to it and honestly not as fun

edit: Scratch the Orb of Selune debuff. They actually give allies Angelic Weapon (weapon attacks deal 5-40 additional radiant damage), no idea what the orb does

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 12, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Alternating between my Durge Drow Monk and Githyanki Sorc honor mode runs. Monk is OP on its own but twinhasted Lae'zel and Tavern Brawler Karlach have made an Absolute mockery of everything in Act 1. I am a bit worried about how this comp with fare against the creche but I believe Bae'zel and myself will prove to be the stronger githyanki in the end.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Running a "gently caress it, i don't care" evil run is strangely liberating in a way. The harpy fight, I may have accidentally electrocuted the child.

... He had money on him, at least.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Entropic posted:

Dimension door lets you teleport a person next to you as well as yourself so the first "choose a target" is asking you if you want to click someone near you to teleport, it's not asking you for the destination yet.

In the final fight when the orb shows up it highlighst a bunch of the floating platforms and you have to make sure none of your team stays standing on those platforms. Similar to how the Nautiloid attacks will highlight where the big guns are going to fire a turn before they do.

Weird, because that's how I was trying to use DD.

But as for the second part, holy poo poo I couldn't see that. But I knew there had to be something because no way the game would just go "oops your party is all dead" without letting you avoid it. Still, the entire encounter is really, really badly done due to the constant switching around and black screens and just the whole thing in general. Its so bad I don't think they seriously playtested it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don’t remember anything about the final boss fight, all this talk of globes and platforms isn’t ringing a bell at all. I remember killing a bunch of stuff on top of the brain, then sending one guy inside, and then you just do the cinematic where you pick what happens? I dunno if it’s because I made sure everyone in my party could fly or teleport.

If Larian ever gets around to releasing patch 5 on Mac I’ll pay closer attention next time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TIL that you actually get the Survival Instinct illithid power from passing the checks with Omeluum, rather than it just being a thing that happens after meeting the Dream Visitor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh....how do you win the Jackpot?
I just got it on my first run and I don't remember doing anything special for it. Now on my second run, I'm just not getting any option to do that no matter how many times I spin.

Is it some kind of passive check or something?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I just got it on my first run and I don't remember doing anything special for it. Now on my second run, I'm just not getting any option to do that no matter how many times I spin.

Steal his ring or distract him

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Pickpocket the Genie.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

alcaras posted:

Start as a class that has command:drop at level one, get the good sword, get your party of 4, clear everything south and east of the grove before entering it. Do small stuff until you hit 3 then harpies are reasonable to do. Skip the owlbear until preferably you hit level 5. Once you're level 5, you can just go back to playing regularly aside from checking notable enemies for legendary actions, which can be circumvented by knocking the enemy prone, so bring 2 people capable of that ideally.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tonetta posted:

Start as a class that has command:drop at level one, get the good sword, get your party of 4, clear everything south and east of the grove before entering it. Do small stuff until you hit 3 then harpies are reasonable to do. Skip the owlbear until preferably you hit level 5. Once you're level 5, you can just go back to playing regularly aside from checking notable enemies for legendary actions, which can be circumvented by knocking the enemy prone, so bring 2 people capable of that ideally.

Ah ok. Launch the game yada yada 20 hours level 5. Gotcha.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think owlbear is actually one of the most doable fights at Level 3/4. If you're looking for a summary of which encounters are the most beatable before Level 5 from easiest to hardest, I'd go with...

- Looter camp and ancient ruins
- Fight outside the grove
- Encounters within grove (bugbear assassin, goblins, harpies)
- Risen Road gnolls
- Tyr's Paladins
- Mephits in Putrid Bog
- Owlbear Cave
- Spider Cave & Matriarch
- Beginning Underdark quests (minotaurs, duergar, etc.)
- Blighted Village (without speech checks)
- Encounters outside Goblin Camp
- Beholder (this is actually hella easy if you avoid getting surprised)
- Auntie Ethel
- Arcane Tower

Those should get you to Level 5 or thereabouts. Anything I didn't mention (Goblin Camp, Grymforge, Gnoll Cave, Githyanki Patrol) I'd wait until Level 5 or after to do.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tonetta posted:

shadowheart can do command:drop, no need to start as a certain class

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did they teach enemies to pick up their weapons yet?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jack Trades posted:

Make sure you have a high perception/wisdom Bard when you talk to Akabi

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

exquisite tea posted:

I think owlbear is actually one of the most doable fights at Level 3/4. If you're looking for a summary of which encounters are the most beatable before Level 5 from easiest to hardest, I'd go with...

- Looter camp and ancient ruins
- Fight outside the grove
- Encounters within grove (bugbear assassin, goblins, harpies)
- Risen Road gnolls
- Tyr's Paladins
- Mephits in Putrid Bog
- Owlbear Cave
- Spider Cave & Matriarch
- Beginning Underdark quests (minotaurs, duergar, etc.)
- Blighted Village (without speech checks)
- Encounters outside Goblin Camp
- Beholder (this is actually hella easy if you avoid getting surprised)
- Auntie Ethel
- Arcane Tower

Those should get you to Level 5 or thereabouts. Anything I didn't mention (Goblin Camp, Grymforge, Gnoll Cave, Githyanki Patrol) I'd wait until Level 5 or after to do.

I have this vision of soloing Honor mode as a necromancer with an undead army...
So far I have life cleric 1 (for armor, saving throws, and Bless), wizard 2, and was able to clear out the first 3 of those on your list solo.

Is this idea just doomed, though? I really enjoyed solo BG2/TOB for the challenge, but here I don't get extra XP and there's no more buff stacking so it's kinda tricky...

Also, I realize my class choice isn't optimal - I'm sure I could solo as an open hand monk or some paladin/sorc/warlock/whavever, but I'm trying "necro lord" for fun reasons...

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You could always respec. Before you get to level 4/5, it'll always be harder.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

ChronoReverse posted:

You could always respec. Before you get to level 4/5, it'll always be harder.

Also i'd rather not respec... though maybe that's just asking too much. Particularly for a caster that's down 1 level (so I really need like level 6...)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You'd think that if honor mode was all about making you live or die with the consequences, they'd shut off respec as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shadowheart shouldn't be able to get a new haircut in HM.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart shouldn't be able to get a new haircut in HM.

They should give her one of the EA hairstyles and even flashier headgear obviously, to really sell that this is basically NG+.
edit: Actually everyone should get weird with their hairstyles in HM.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Time to start a new game! I want to do a Githyanki Paladin Durge as I haven't done Durge yet.

I still want to try Monk, Sorcerer, Druid, Ranger and Bard classes, because I haven't tried them at all yet. I think Astarion is the obvious bard choice, and I know there is an obvious Druid companion who I somewhat unintentionally ignored the first go around, but any suggestions for who to make the Monk, Ranger and Sorcerer?

twistedmentat posted:

I think the switching locations really messes you up in terms of paying attention to the platforms that the brain is about to delete, dropping anyone standing on them into the chasm. It's obvious if you watch the brain take its turn, but when it keeps flicking back to the other side of the portal, it's really easy to miss. I just beat it last night, and 2 of my characters + Orpheus got dumped on the first turn I got everyone through the portal. Thankfully it was only at like 65 hp at that point and the two alive characters took it down no problem.

For the "outside portion" of the fight I vacuumed the emperor and dream guardians into a nice little line with black hole Illithid abilities from Orpheus and wormed-up Tav, had both Shadowheart and Wyll cast wall of flame, and used the Kithrak Voss call friends ability, which is just a beefier wall of flame. The whole bottom level was just a sea of flame that took out most of the dream guardians, and left the living ones and the emperor pretty beat up. Then I just ran/misty stepped/flew everyone up the sides, knocked the mind flayers out of the way and took potshots at the emperor and his remaining dream guardians as they chased me up the sides. The dragon I let go about his business.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Monathin posted:

[*]You can throw healing potions at allies, restoring their health from a distance. Try to throw them at their feet because if you bean them with the glass it’ll still do damage.

Especially do this to allies with 0 HP rather than using Help/Revivify scrolls. Might as well get them back up from afar with some HP back.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Larry Cum Free posted:

Time to start a new game! I want to do a Githyanki Paladin Durge as I haven't done Durge yet.

I still want to try Monk, Sorcerer, Druid, Ranger and Bard classes, because I haven't tried them at all yet. I think Astarion is the obvious bard choice, and I know there is an obvious Druid companion who I somewhat unintentionally ignored the first go around, but any suggestions for who to make the Monk, Ranger and Sorcerer?

I think the switching locations really messes you up in terms of paying attention to the platforms that the brain is about to delete, dropping anyone standing on them into the chasm. It's obvious if you watch the brain take its turn, but when it keeps flicking back to the other side of the portal, it's really easy to miss. I just beat it last night, and 2 of my characters + Orpheus got dumped on the first turn I got everyone through the portal. Thankfully it was only at like 65 hp at that point and the two alive characters took it down no problem.

For the "outside portion" of the fight I vacuumed the emperor and dream guardians into a nice little line with black hole Illithid abilities from Orpheus and wormed-up Tav, had both Shadowheart and Wyll cast wall of flame, and used the Kithrak Voss call friends ability, which is just a beefier wall of flame. The whole bottom level was just a sea of flame that took out most of the dream guardians, and left the living ones and the emperor pretty beat up. Then I just ran/misty stepped/flew everyone up the sides, knocked the mind flayers out of the way and took potshots at the emperor and his remaining dream guardians as they chased me up the sides. The dragon I let go about his business.

Astarion also makes a really good Gloomstalker Ranger, especially paired with some levels in Thief for extra bonus actions, but I don't know who you'd make the Bard then. I made Lae'zel a Monk at one point for jumping/multiattack shenanigans and that was pretty funny. I think you could add some Sorceror levels to Wyll for even more boom power? (I went Sorceror Durge so I was good on that front.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lae'zel could make a pretty fun monk since that's what all those githyanki assholes from A3 are. Only problem is you miss out on all her awesome 2H swords but not an issue if you already have a fighter or paladin.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Larry Cum Free posted:

Can always just make Gale a sorcerer. Personally I’d still take 1 level of wizard so you can scribe art of war. You’ll get 4 wizard spell slots to spend on stuff that isn’t Int score dependant like Magic missile, shield, Art of war, Counterspell, situational buff/utility stuff.

For Monk, Lae’zel is fun because she does a lot of ‘haiyaa’ martial arts movie sound effects when she punches people; but Minsc also works thematically I think, considering how often he talks about punching and kicking evil. Personality wise he’s also the closest thing this game has to Goku given how innocent and naive he is.

Druid you have 2 of already by default. Minsc is already a ranger by default so you could just use him as a ranger. Otherwise I guess any of the more ‘martial’ companions would work; but try as I might I just can’t bring myself to like Druid or Ranger (especially ranger). They just seem to underperform compared to other choices you could make.

Bard and Paladin work really well together, you could always do Swords Bard 6/Paladin 2/Fighter 4 for your Durge; it’s a fantastic build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

twistedmentat posted:

Still, the entire encounter is really, really badly done due to the constant switching around and black screens and just the whole thing in general. Its so bad I don't think they seriously playtested it?

I have played through this fight 8 times I think (not counting replaying it once the new endings came out) and had no idea what you were talking about until I realized you didn’t rush everyone to the portal ASAP.

It was so incredibly clear that you were supposed to get everyone inside that it never occurred to me anyone wouldn’t do that. I think I had one character die to an orb once on my first attempt and then I was like “oh, the orbs are deadly and destroy the ground the characters stand on” and made sure to move anyone in the blast radius on future attempts. I’ve only had it switch back and forth for more than 1 round when I had pets because they can’t go inside.

They play tested it plenty. I’ve never seen anyone else make the same complaints you are.