Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I mean, that's what happens when you use metric tournament brackets instead of imperial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1734193921369035204

I guess I will never see Triumph of Saint Katherine in a BoshNRoll vid

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Several people will be devastated by this news.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's an article somewhere how WOTC and GW couldn't come to an agreement on digital cards

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

There's an article somewhere how WOTC and GW couldn't come to an agreement on digital cards

I am suspicious that GREED and specifically who is outgreeding who is maybe something to do with it. Turns out both companies have this history of this, crazy i know.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

I am suspicious that GREED and specifically who is outgreeding who is maybe something to do with it. Turns out both companies have this history of this, crazy i know.

I mean, yeah, that's almost assuridly it.
I doubt they came to an agreement for paper and then suddenly there was some principal stance stopping modo

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

We were talking about this in discord, maybe it's interesting to people here as well. Alchemy card complexity, compared to the average. I generated this live from scryfall's data today.

e; Corrected based on posts below

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 11, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How are those specialty cards treated? Because they're like 6+ cards in one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wouldn't rule out that they just forgot it was a thing.

Why can't MTGO just add the cards with different names and art? AFAIK rules can't be copyrighted and replacing space jerks with random clipart from a 1998 corel draw clipart CD would be an exciting upgrade.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Khanstant posted:

Why can't MTGO just add the cards with different names and art? AFAIK rules can't be copyrighted and replacing space jerks with random clipart from a 1998 corel draw clipart CD would be an exciting upgrade.

They can, they remake licensed cards as MTG-universe cards all the time now, but someone has to develop and tweak the cards and decide where they're going to come out in paper or whatever and it's a lot of work for something relatively few people care about

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The closer we get to the Ravnica Remastered set the more uneasy I feel about how much of a price drop Shock Lands will actually get, and more and more suspicious as to how much chaff is going to get stuffed into the rare slot overall if you decide to buy a box and open packs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

They're probably waiting for a secret lair opportunity.
Or maybe they're comming in Spelljammer.
The wheels of WOTC are slow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

The closer we get to the Ravnica Remastered set the more uneasy I feel about how much of a price drop Shock Lands will actually get, and more and more suspicious as to how much chaff is going to get stuffed into the rare slot overall if you decide to buy a box and open packs.

What are shocks at now? I know my OG rav block ones were money, but I think I bought seconds at like 10 or so during one of the return to sets.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

HootTheOwl posted:

How are those specialty cards treated? Because they're like 6+ cards in one

So I forgot those existed, and the answer is that they're actually done correctly in there already. The other faces are listed in an all_parts field in the API, but the other faces count as cards themselves too (so they add word count as well as card count for the average).

I did realize that I only did the Alchemy legal cards, rather than all of Historic's digital-only cards, and that I was including the Alchemy rebalances. Here it is with that corrected.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
FYI the arena thread link is out of date in the OP

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

FYI the arena thread link is out of date in the OP

good

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

What are shocks at now? I know my OG rav block ones were money, but I think I bought seconds at like 10 or so during one of the return to sets.

No idea of how accurate these numbers are, since some of the Rav Remastered prices are out for some of the lands.

https://www.mtgstocks.com/lists/3-shock-lands

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Do not pre order these lands until closer to release date at these prices. I suspect they will be 10 - 15 bucks by then , especially the retro art ones. Retro art are harder to sell on TCGplayer due to dumb bugs and often fall early.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm ready to blow a year's magic budget on retro etched shocks. That way I won't be able to buy any mh3

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm ready to blow a year's magic budget on retro etched shocks. That way I won't be able to buy any mh3

This is the only way to live. The retro border versions of cards are the only respectable version of them, if they exist.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Katana Gomai posted:

5-2 for an RC invite, meanwhile here in Europe you have to win a 32-64+ player event with Top 8 or go 12-2 or better in a two-day tournament :newlol:

What is going on in your continent? RC invites should be easy to get. Here in North America it feels like every game store runs and rcq per season with 1-4 invites on the line and larger TO’s will host opens that are 100 player + and offer invites to top 16. Getting a pro tour invite means you have to top 8 the RC though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

It would be nice to snag a few retro framed non foils, all the other etched retro frames I've lucked into are just so dark and muted it sucks.

But my unease still stands they're drawing from so many sets for this Remaster that I am really really curious how flooded the rare slot will be that the Shocks should just have been labeled as mythics instead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The duals in DOMR were fairly common, and it only had 14 more rares than a normal set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

It would be nice to snag a few retro framed non foils, all the other etched retro frames I've lucked into are just so dark and muted it sucks.

But my unease still stands they're drawing from so many sets for this Remaster that I am really really curious how flooded the rare slot will be that the Shocks should just have been labeled as mythics instead.

I just finished my retro fetch cycle from mh2 and they're pretty neat. White, lands, and artifacts get this metallic hue to them in retro etched.

Black cards in retro etched are basically all blobs

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

I did realize that I only did the Alchemy legal cards, rather than all of Historic's digital-only cards, and that I was including the Alchemy rebalances. Here it is with that corrected.
*snip*

I'm curious how it compares if you go back to the start of Alchemy, the more recent Innistrad sets.

Mezzanon posted:

What is going on in your continent? RC invites should be easy to get. Here in North America it feels like every game store runs and rcq per season with 1-4 invites on the line and larger TO’s will host opens that are 100 player + and offer invites to top 16. Getting a pro tour invite means you have to top 8 the RC though.

Apparently the combined Europe/Middle East/Africa RC gets 500 invites total, while the US gets 1200 and there's 1000 (!) for all of Canada.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder how far down the road we'll have to be to get a set that is nothing but rares and mythics from previous sets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how far down the road we'll have to be to get a set that is nothing but rares and mythics from previous sets.

That's secret lair

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Pfft, like rares from any pre-Time Spiral set have poo poo on even the uncommons of any modern expansion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

That's secret lair

Lol I wonder if they have enough basics and tokens and chaff by now to do a Secret Lair draft set.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Watching and old modo draft vid. What exactly does 8-4 mean? I was guessing 8 people in the draft pod and 4 rounds of matches, but that can't be right.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's the prize structure, 8 packs to the winner and 4 to second place.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

odinson posted:

Watching and old modo draft vid. What exactly does 8-4 mean? I was guessing 8 people in the draft pod and 4 rounds of matches, but that can't be right.

8-4 is the prize split of the pod. In an 8-4 pod, the winner of the pod gets 8 packs, the loser of the finals gets 4 packs, and nobody else gets anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Note that on modo, you could enter a draft with three packs and two tickets, so you could draft an awful lot for cheap as long as you were making the finals consistently.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I have started playing modern on modo. I might be the worst player queuing in modern league right now. I am a madman on the loose with too many event tickets, a hardened scales deck I barely know how to pilot, playing against decks I only understand at a conceptual level. This is a humbling and awesome experience.

Shout out to the amulet titan player who killed me turn 2 on my third game ever.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Saucer Crab posted:

Apparently the combined Europe/Middle East/Africa RC gets 500 invites total, while the US gets 1200 and there's 1000 (!) for all of Canada.

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that. I qualified for two RC’s last season but only went to one because I didn’t want to travel to play pioneer.

I will travel to play modern though.

I went to a bunch of 20 person 2 and 4 slotters just because I had fun at the tournament and like the prizing

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

This is the only way to live. The retro border versions of cards are the only respectable version of them, if they exist.
I'm the opposite. I only buy M15 frame cards. I guess it helps that I only play Pioneer.

When I played for a few years as a kid I always wished the cards had a more modern frame. I think I stopped playing by the time 8th edition came out.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's like being the MTG equivalent of a dude that only wears zubaz pants and uggs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kung fu jive posted:

I have started playing modern on modo. I might be the worst player queuing in modern league right now. I am a madman on the loose with too many event tickets, a hardened scales deck I barely know how to pilot, playing against decks I only understand at a conceptual level. This is a humbling and awesome experience.

Shout out to the amulet titan player who killed me turn 2 on my third game ever.

you might want to stay in the tp rooms until you figure the deck out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

That's like being the MTG equivalent of a dude that only wears zubaz pants and uggs

its spelled Zabaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Love some Zubat pants

I love the retro frames, but for the big staples like fetches it's just too much for me to spend. Or at least, it was last time I checked.

Though I'll say changing my mtg spending to just focusing on modern humans has before great for my cardboard budget. All upgrades are dirt cheap basically (because the deck isn't great rn)

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 12, 2023