Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

This lot are a late Kickstarter thing to help out with one of the IWM team's medical bills. I haven't heard if they intend them to be a retail item later or not.

If I pledged on the Kickstarter, is there still a way to get this added to my order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think everything has been locked in for like a month now.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Been seeing some people complain about the size of 'map-scale' dropships, then a friend showed me this behemoth.

It's resin, but looks rad. Need a big board for it though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

I think everything has been locked in for like a month now.

Figured as much but wanted to make sure. I couldn't find a way to edit my order just now. Ooh well. I hope they release it! And there are 3rd party dropships out there too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Been seeing some people complain about the size of 'map-scale' dropships, then a friend showed me this behemoth.

It's an inch too small.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I posted this on the previous page :v:

It's very cool. The Gepard on the same sight is more my speed though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

It would be weird to spend the resources to make it shelf presentable if it's not intended to end up on shelves.
Yeah I wasn't expecting the nice packaging either, so hopefully they'll get a wider release. They're a pretty niche item though, since bugger all of us really need dropships on the maps.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Strobe posted:

I posted this on the previous page :v:

It's very cool. The Gepard on the same sight is more my speed though.

Sorry 'bout that, saw new page and skipped to it.

I asked this on a discord the other day but I think I went to bed and missed the answers, if any. In BattleTech a lot of merc companies seem to get into situations where their families get taken hostage by employers. Why is this/what are the solutions to avoiding it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sorry 'bout that, saw new page and skipped to it.

I asked this on a discord the other day but I think I went to bed and missed the answers, if any. In BattleTech a lot of merc companies seem to get into situations where their families get taken hostage by employers. Why is this/what are the solutions to avoiding it?

Make sure Charrette isn't writing your book

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Depends on the outfit. If they're small enough, they probably aren't carting dependents around--but a moderate to large-sized mercenary group is probably bringing kids and family along, and some of the more paranoid ones aren't willing to trust them to the safety of their employers (why would you hand House Liao or House Kurita a group of ready-made hostages so they can force you to work for free?).

So they have to find ways to protect them themselves.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is a very dumb question.

I am painting up a bunch of Comstar mechs, and I cant tell whether the color scheme is pure white or white with gold details? Right now my mechs are white with gold details (weapon barrels , the Atlas' skull face) and Unit Color Compendium shows a bunch of gold but all the individual armies are all white. Are gold details/trim anywhere in the official books?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Depends on whether you're a parade formation or black ops.

Black Ops are painted primer white with no identifiable markings. Before 3039, parade formations were only for the units stationed in visible places on Terra.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I am painting up a bunch of Comstar mechs, and I cant tell whether the color scheme is pure white or white with gold details? Right now my mechs are white with gold details (weapon barrels , the Atlas' skull face) and Unit Color Compendium shows a bunch of gold but all the individual armies are all white. Are gold details/trim anywhere in the official books?

"Unlike House militaries, where most regiments have evolved a specific color scheme, the Com Guards simply paint their vehicles white for official occasions and use appropriate camouflage for combat." -Field Manual: ComStar.

UCC takes a lot of liberties, don't trust em. Make your guys look like this:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

Depends on whether you're a parade formation or black ops.

Black Ops are painted primer white with no identifiable markings. Before 3039, parade formations were only for the units stationed in visible places on Terra.

Oh, perfect, I had them in my head as some kind of Terra defense force.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Com Guards are all white unless there's some super secret squirrel unit I'm not aware of. https://camospecs.com/factions/comstar/

White and gold accents is more like the 1st Knights of the Inner Sphere (who are only alive for late Clan Invasion and Civil War). https://camospecs.com/unit/1st-knights-of-the-inner-sphere/

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Gold trim is going to be particular units' foibles or maybe even specific pilots, but it absolutely is not the global Com Guard parade scheme.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I could still see a lance or company doing that if they had to guard something prestegious (like the Vatican) or something ComStar wanted outsiders to think was important.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, painted over the gold, now to make my friends' FedSuns pay their phone bill.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Alpha Strike is such a neat looking game.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

See sometimes UCC has some really cool examples, like this. I based my Republic Battalion off of it. Even though I recently saw someone else's take that looks even cooler, I might stick with the stripes instead of just accents.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 11, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I use UCC to find the primary color I want, then check Camospecs to see what the unit really looks like.

Unfortunately, UCC treats searching for two colors as an OR not an AND which makes narrowing things down a pain in the rear end.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Alpha Strike is such a neat looking game.

Agreed, I need to get a nice neoprene mat like what Southern Assault uses.

Here are some pics from a recent battle I played with a friend. 350 pts, Wolf Dragoons vs Spirit Cats, IlClan era (But tech is all Clan Invasion).

Wolf Dragoons with captured Wolf Empire stuff

Spirit Cats!

I have to say, I really like little fast guys. This was mostly a learning game for my friend and me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

"Unlike House militaries, where most regiments have evolved a specific color scheme, the Com Guards simply paint their vehicles white for official occasions and use appropriate camouflage for combat." -Field Manual: ComStar.

Yeah, the UCC people are both bad at reading and prone to simply making poo poo up.

My Comguard are basically using gold the way that figure uses silver to hilight metal parts. As well as silver. It's a few very small bits here and there to add just a teeny bit more colour to the model.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like to do field schemes on my minis because, well, mainly I like how desert camouflage looks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I do the parade scheme because the prospect of repainting my minis because the 2nd Donegal gets stationed on Tharkad rather than Furillo fills me with terror.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm debating on just batch-painting my mechs a simple olive drab and saying they're just random merc mechs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Floppychop posted:

I'm debating on just batch-painting my mechs a simple olive drab and saying they're just random merc mechs.

I'm definitely looking for a "neutral" scheme for most of my 'mechs so when they hit the table they're whatever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"SLDF Green/Tan" or "generic camo" always work well for that.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, the UCC people are both bad at reading and prone to simply making poo poo up.

Maybe I'm missing something but given a huge number of entries all over CamoSpecs that are basically "scheme was canonised by <rando user name> on <date>" aren't CamoSpecs just making poo poo up too?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mode 7 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but given a huge number of entries all over CamoSpecs that are basically "scheme was canonised by <rando user name> on <date>" aren't CamoSpecs just making poo poo up too?

By virtue of being included on the website, that paint job becomes canon, just like getting your writing published in official material does for prose.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mode 7 posted:

Yeah and all the novels that say "BattleTech" on them are basically just fan fiction.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah but they gave me 300 bucks for my fan fiction, and then I turned around and spent it all on the kickstarter.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I know I have posted about them before, but I recently got a much better picture for my Constructicon-themed unit that I thought I'd share.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Excellent.

Mode 7 posted:

What DI said, but also when CSO says "canonised" they mean one of the official painting team whose robots go in the published books sat down and did some minis interpreting the published Field Manual colourscheme or whatever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

What DI said

Definitely, they also turned around and spent any money they got out of it on miniatures, too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, that does seem to be a problem with people who work on the game in general :v:

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Had a couple of days off, so I painted Mechs!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ah, the Yeoman. There's one in a story I sent a bit ago, just because I don't think it's appeared in fiction before.

It's so "I don't give a gently caress how I look" that you have to respect it on some level.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

By virtue of being included on the website, that paint job becomes canon, just like getting your writing published in official material does for prose.

Ah okay, I didn't realise there was a 1:1 relationship between Catalyst and CamoSpecs, I thought it was a fan initiative. That's awesome.

Strobe posted:

Yeah and all the novels that say "BattleTech" on them are basically just fan fiction.

Seems like an insult to the good name of fan fiction.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

yeoman is one brudlefly rear end mech. maximal with the "refrigerator on legs" aesthetic