Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Zwabu posted:

You can resign at any point, just like in over the board chess! You just click twice on the flag.

Yeah that seems like a silly option for anyone not titled. And maybe even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It depends on rating and time control. If there's increment, above a certain rating I don't see much point in making the opponent do like a R vs K mate or 2 pawns vs K. Even if they somehow gently caress up I'd rather just play another game.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Redmark posted:

It depends on rating and time control. If there's increment, above a certain rating I don't see much point in making the opponent do like a R vs K mate or 2 pawns vs K. Even if they somehow gently caress up I'd rather just play another game.

Me too, but the guy I was replying to is resigning when he doesn't like the pawn structure so I was suggesting to make a rule for himself to play games out to the bitter end for a bit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I wish I was good at chess

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't, it sounds very stressful

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey, you probably are good at chess!

Zwabu posted:

Me too, but the guy I was replying to is resigning when he doesn't like the pawn structure so I was suggesting to make a rule for himself to play games out to the bitter end for a bit.

I'll defend myself a bit and say, I was talking specifically about playing unranked/anon games (as in, going to Lichess in incognito mode) where there are 1) zero stakes and 2) zero matchmaking, so you get paired with just whoever happens to be queueing at the same time.

My point was that releasing all the pressure feels nice at first, but eventually I found myself dropping out of games as soon as I blundered a pawn or even just misplayed an oddball response and realized that was not a low-stakes path to improvement and probably just a waste of time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
When I want low stakes chess I just do puzzles.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
but i can still lose puzzle elo :ohdear:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

When I visit the chess glory hole I usually get absolutely destroyed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Nobody is good at chess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

former glory posted:

When I visit the chess glory hole I usually get absolutely destroyed.

It's that why you are called former glory?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
speaking of meaningless anonymous chess, here's a fun position from a 5m blitz game where i had the white pieces.

white is down a pawn, but has a decent kingside attack going. the computer says that white has a couple good moves (both moves achieve the same concrete goal, but one move is better than the other), and everything else results in a mostly equal position. i didn't play the correct move, but my opponent didn't spot the equalizing idea, so i ended up winning anyway.

how does white continue the attack? hints:

quiet move -- hard to see when attacking, easy to see when defending
i played Rd6 with a plan to sac the exchange and capture the defending knight on f6, but the computer says this is a mistake because black can play Qg4 to force a queen trade and end the attack
the winning move denies the black queen access to the g4 square

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If the answer is h3 (denying the defensive Queen trade and letting you have Rd6), does ... Nd7 not hold it together for them? d7 is covered by their Queen so a sac doesn't draw off the Knight defending h7 and the exchange leaves you in the same position as now but down an exchange.

1. h3 Nd7
2. g4 Qc2 (I can't find a safer place for her to run and nowhere to maintain the defense of d7)
3. Rxd7

I guess that line makes ... Nd7 a mistake because it takes away too many squares from their Queen. But there's probably something else going on I can't piece together that makes 2. g4 a horrible blunder.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

If the answer is h3 (denying the defensive Queen trade and letting you have Rd6), does ... Nd7 not hold it together for them? d7 is covered by their Queen so a sac doesn't draw off the Knight defending h7 and the exchange leaves you in the same position as now but down an exchange.

1. h3 Nd7
2. g4 Qc2 (I can't find a safer place for her to run and nowhere to maintain the defense of d7)
3. Rxd7

I guess that line makes ... Nd7 a mistake because it takes away too many squares from their Queen. But there's probably something else going on I can't piece together that makes 2. g4 a horrible blunder.

h3 is correct, and if black plays Nbd7, then g4 is good for white because it chases away the queen, leaving the knight on d7 under-protected. after Qc2 or whatever, white can play Rxd7, and black can't recapture without hanging mate

EDIT: oops you figured all that out on your own, but even though your continuation makes white's kingside look bad, the computer cant find any resources for black in the resulting position, because white has a big material advantage and better piece activity too. its so bad for black that instead of Qc2 the computer wants to play Qxg5 lol

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 13, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been working through the Susan Polgar Defense book, which is neat because it's all stuff like, "your Rook is attacked, where is the safe square to run?" and "opponent has mate on the move, find the move that doesn't lose." The chapter I just hit is all about counterattacking as a defensive resource, and they make you follow through the opponent's best response and your follow-up, so you have to not blunder from both sides.

White to move:

1. _____ _____
2. _____

Qe4 and Qxe4 Rxe4 is forced because Bxe1 hangs the undefended black Queen. A defensive puzzle and a LPDO puzzle combo.

The book starts pretty rudimentary, but it's a puzzle angle you don't get hit with as often online. And it gets a little more spicy toward the end:

White to move:

Kb2 steps out of check and saves the queen because Nxd4 Ra1#.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 13, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
always fun when playing blitz and you fall for an opening trap, but cause so much chaos on the board that you pull out the win anyway

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Just won a rapid game with 91.2% accuracy over 30 moves. Easy game really once you figure it out :smuggo:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thats cool, as long as we're celebrating our wins, here is a 5m blitz game that i won with 86% accuracy (my opponent: 69%)

code:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 g6 4. Bxc6 dxc6 5. d4 cxd4 6. Nxd4 Bg7 7. Nf3 Qxd1+ 8. Kxd1 Bg4 9. Nc3 O-O-O+ 10. Ke2 Nf6 11. Be3 Kb8 12. h3 Be6 13. g4 Bc4+ 14. Ke1 b5 15. Nd2 Rxd2 16. Bxd2 Rd8 17. Be3 b4 18. Na4 Nxe4 19. Nc5 Nxc5 20. Bxc5 Bxb2 21. Rb1 Bc3# 0-1
check out my dubious exchange sac on move 15. surprisingly, the computer didn't disapprove too strongly (from 0.0 to +0.8) but i followed it up with a true blunder on move 16 (that went unpunished). other highlight of this game was when both my opponent and i were surprised when 21... Bc3# turned out to be checkmate, thanks to my earlier unpunished blunder taking the d1 square away from my opponent's king.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Y'all watching the CCT finals? Magnus has been so ridiculous this week. loving witchcraft how he continually pulls draws or even wins out of lost positions. Just that incredible mix of talent + his reputation and aura that makes every opponent choke.

I wonder when he'll finally start to lose a step. Seems as good as ever.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's kinda a dick move for Magnus to resign as champion and stick around still obviously being the best player

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

He just doesn't care about the classical time format so much. Much stranger to me is Ding winning the title and vanishing into the ether.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

regulargonzalez posted:

He just doesn't care about the classical time format so much. Much stranger to me is Ding winning the title and vanishing into the ether.

An old tradition, just like Bobby Fischer.:patriot:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ding reportedly has been recovering from illness. The illness may very be complete mental collapse from the WC match, even though he won.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

regulargonzalez posted:

Y'all watching the CCT finals? Magnus has been so ridiculous this week. loving witchcraft how he continually pulls draws or even wins out of lost positions. Just that incredible mix of talent + his reputation and aura that makes every opponent choke.

I wonder when he'll finally start to lose a step. Seems as good as ever.

I saw So's blunder in the endgame of game 3 live on lichess and thought "isn't that a blunder?" and it was and that's the first time I've ever been correct about a GM making a mistake.

I'm really excited to see Magnus in that new classical time 960 tournament next year. Wanna see how hard the pros go.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sub Rosa posted:

Ding reportedly has been recovering from illness. The illness may very be complete mental collapse from the WC match, even though he won.

Nobody is ever good at chess.

Really makes one wonder the allure

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My daughter won a (beginner section) trophy at her first rated tournament! Just the best of her quad but she's excited and I think she's really got the chess bug, at least until soccer season starts.

Meanwhile her puzzle rating is up to 1200 and mine fell from 1400 to 1275 so I guess I need to hit the books. :whitewater:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

I kind of wonder how the GMs of today feel about the game compared to the past. The age of chess bots has really changed how the game is understood because now we have an objective measurement of how far from "perfect" a game is, and in any tricky position analysts can just bring up Stockfish and find out what the player "should" do (although I know they do usually try to avoid relying too much on computer analysis when live commentating because it's just not very interesting to ask the computer what to do all the time).

I mean there is more nuance than that, and often you can get quicker wins by playing suboptimal moves because you're gambling on the fact that your opponent won't always find the best responses and those suboptimal moves give you a stronger position than if you had played the top computer choice, but it is still a thing where if your goal is to maximize your win probability, no matter what your opponent does, the computer always has the right answer.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Yeah, the most fun win I’ve had in a while was with an accuracy of 49 or so, where I’d found myself in an awkward position early on and just decided to go super aggressive and throw everything at the king with sacks etc. very unlike what I usually do. Completely gonzo chess, but my opponent all of a sudden had to deal with a lot of bullshit and I somehow won it.

The usual stuff at my elo is more ‘optimal’, quiet and counting trades and waiting for blunders from the other side. I definitely get affected by being able to analyse every game I play and see computer lines etc. if I was learning a decade ago it would have been very very different

L.H.O.O.Q. fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2023

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

"The ability to play chess is the sign of a gentleman. The ability to play chess well is the sign of a wasted life." - Paul Morphy

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Butlerian jihad but just for chess computers

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

It still blows my mind that he had months of prep leak at the beginning of the WC and... ??? ground out a dozen games of fresh championship-level prep in a week and a half?? Yeah, that'd just about kill anyone.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
The was a tough puzzle for me.

https://lichess.org/training/Rol2x

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That was a fun one. I got it right though I spent a decent amount of time calculating the move order for moves 2 & 3.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought this one was cute

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I thought this one was cute

Rh8+ Kxh8. Rh4+ Kg8. Rh8+ Kxh8. Qh5+ Kg8. Qh7# right? That is cute

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Another cool puzzle.

https://lichess.org/training/V8BHh

Black, who is in check, to move.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Another cool puzzle.

https://lichess.org/training/V8BHh

Black, who is in check, to move.

Really instructive tbh

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
really nice puzzles, chess thread posters! there's something funny or a nice theme in each one of these 3.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

Rh8+ Kxh8. Rh4+ Kg8. Rh8+ Kxh8. Qh5+ Kg8. Qh7# right? That is cute

"I heard you like ROOKS! Have another one!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

It's always great when your first instinct turns out to be totally correct