Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks!

A problem I have is too many decks I wanna try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Graaz owns because you can be that guy and yell I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH every time you cast him

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
I’ve gotten the itch to make a new deck with whatever I’ve got on hand and settled on Winota. It’s gonna be janky and I don’t need it to be high powered, but what’s a decent number/mix of human/nonhuman creatures? And is there any particularly necessary instant/sorcery needs to make it run decently?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TotalHell posted:

Managed to find the Dinos precon for retail instead of at an insanely marked up price. I’ve looked at a couple of upgrade guides(including Balon/Commander Mechanic!) but was curious if anyone here had thoughts on easy upgrades (outside of the usual “make the manabase not terrible”).

Add in the Ravenous Tyrannosaurus and one of the Godzilla because if you're not putting Jurassic Park and Godzilla in your dinosaur deck, what's the point?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

TotalHell posted:

Managed to find the Dinos precon for retail instead of at an insanely marked up price. I’ve looked at a couple of upgrade guides(including Balon/Commander Mechanic!) but was curious if anyone here had thoughts on easy upgrades (outside of the usual “make the manabase not terrible”).

Don't forget Chameleon Colossus and Wandering Throne.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Anyone heard of Grima, Saruman's Footman? It doesn't seem to be popular on Edhrec, but I'm building in steal/clone/dimir funstuff. This deck might keep the aggro low initially, which is nice. Other than a few more expensive cards I already had, it seems to be fairly cheap to build.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Play to Win makes a Malcolm/Francisco deck during their podcast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

swampcow posted:

Anyone heard of Grima, Saruman's Footman? It doesn't seem to be popular on Edhrec, but I'm building in steal/clone/dimir funstuff. This deck might keep the aggro low initially, which is nice. Other than a few more expensive cards I already had, it seems to be fairly cheap to build.

He's unpopular because he often doesn't do anything at all, and when he does, the effect is too random to build around.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

He's unpopular because he often doesn't do anything at all, and when he does, the effect is too random to build around.

I think getting a free random spell a turn is better than no spell at all. Green decks have lots of genesis effects that get a random creature and those are pophlar. Add in payoffs for casting instants and sorceries and you end up with a lot of value. That leaves a lot of cards leftover to do what you want.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

swampcow posted:

I think getting a free random spell a turn is better than no spell at all. Green decks have lots of genesis effects that get a random creature and those are pophlar. Add in payoffs for casting instants and sorceries and you end up with a lot of value. That leaves a lot of cards leftover to do what you want.

Yeah, but how do you win and how does Grima get you there? At four mana I'd rather play Talion as a source of card advantage in the command zone that draws me my own cards while also punishing my opponents for playing theirs.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, but how do you win and how does Grima get you there? At four mana I'd rather play Talion as a source of card advantage in the command zone that draws me my own cards while also punishing my opponents for playing theirs.

I've played against dimir decks that did the clone/steal thing and they work very well. Was picked apart by one a few weeks ago, in fact. I'm not interested in making an ultra efficient deck. If I wanted to win all the time, I would play Atraxa or Animar or whatever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

swampcow posted:

he seems like a funny budget option. But you can always go for the homie don andres instead and get some red in there for trinket nabber and stuff

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

swampcow posted:

I've played against dimir decks that did the clone/steal thing and they work very well. Was picked apart by one a few weeks ago, in fact. I'm not interested in making an ultra efficient deck. If I wanted to win all the time, I would play Atraxa or Animar or whatever.

Well yeah, but Grima only hits Instants and Sorceries, so it's not about being ultra efficient but about not swinging in for one unblockable and then hitting a Farseek or something.

Spanish Manlove posted:

he seems like a funny budget option. But you can always go for the homie don andres instead and get some red in there for trinket nabber and stuff

I think Spanish Manlove's got the right idea. You can run Grima in a Don Andres deck and get a card draw on top of casting one of their spells if you connect with Grima, all while getting access to another color thanks to your commander. And if you're insistent on Dimir Steal Your Stuff, there's always Xanathar.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

swampcow posted:

Don't judge the commander by a magical christmas land scenario.

What are you likely to flip with Grima?
  • Counterspell? Blank
  • X Spell? Blank
  • Overrun effect? Blank
  • Protection effect? Blank
  • Wrath effect? Mostly blank
  • Rituals? Mostly Blank
  • Cheap cantrip? Not worth the 4 mana investment
  • Small ramp? Not worth the 4 mana investment

If you look at the top Instants and Sorceries on EDHRec, most of them are stone cold blank, or have minimal value. Sure, occasionally you hit spot removal, or luck into a big spell once in a blue moon, but most random spells suck, which is why, again, it's an unpopular commander.

Not every legendary creature is worthwhile as a commander.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Don't forget Chameleon Colossus and Wandering Throne.

Roaming Throne doesn't work with Pantlaza

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sort of. It won't get you a double trigger, but it will trigger the 1st time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you have others dinos with triggers? Gishath or Zacama?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best Yoink! commander is and always has been Sen Triplets. :colbert:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I got the two sliver cards in the mail last week and got a chance to do some Friday night commander. Those two cards absolutely transformed the playstyle of the deck. These were Sliver overlord and Sliver Legion.

I did lose to dinosaurs that had an effect to where if you do damage to it. It also deals that much damage to target "Anything than a Dinosaur" so I lost to blocking damage. I forgot and got too greedy when I had 11 slivers on the field and bombed it with Legion. Boy was that silly.

Besides the shock lands I think my sliver deck is complete.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Sort of. It won't get you a double trigger, but it will trigger the 1st time.

The double trigger is why people want it, not for triggering Pants off its own ETB

Batterypowered7 posted:

Do you have others dinos with triggers? Gishath or Zacama?

It's not my deck so who can say (there's likely a few dinos in there with useful triggered abilities, but I'm not sure it's worth running over (random good card that doesn't cost $15))

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 9, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone played with or against chimil and can sell me on the card outside of Prospero where casting from exile matters. I just pulled one from a pack and I know the effects are good but it feels like a deck building trap unless your deck is built around that effect.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MasterBuilder posted:

Has anyone played with or against chimil and can sell me on the card outside of Prospero where casting from exile matters. I just pulled one from a pack and I know the effects are good but it feels like a deck building trap unless your deck is built around that effect.

It's a card that absolutely gets worse as your deck gets better. If you are taking a 6-mana turn off to cast something with no appreciable immediate value that flips you into a random free spell at the worst time of your turn, and that does something for you, then your table is likely so slow and incapable of capitalizing that you could really be playing anything.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i'd categorize it in the same vein as stuff like immortal sun where it's mostly just general value that maybe matters in specfic deck types (i have it in my rocco deck for example, but thats because my rocco deck wants as many instances of cards being cast from exile per turn as i can manage and i have a handful of ways to generate bursts of mana so its mana cost isn't as big of an issue). a lot of decks want specific synergy value rather than generic value, so it won't be good in those decks. some decks maybe only care about having a bulk of value artifacts, and maybe its good in that. etc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I put it in nekusar because everything in that deck is built to be as annoying as possible and I don't give a gently caress when those spells are cast. It's also the only thing that costs more than 5 so I'm bound to hit something evil

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I'm not 100% on the math here, but I imagine discovering every turn for a 5 mana spell probably has some benefit to like making it so that you are at the very least less likely to draw lands at the point where you're playing this game where you're probably wanting to shift to drawing non-lands?

I doubt the percentage is like good enough to risk throwing some card at 6 or whatever that would save the game or help you win the game to the bottom.

But other than that it's a card that's in the pool of Generic Engine Cards that are good the less likely other people are going to win fast or interact with it meaningfully.

At it's worst it's like a Staff of Nin that traded the ping for end step drawing a 5 mana spell that doesn't trigger a Smother Tithe effect.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 10, 2023

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Spanish Manlove posted:

this dude seems super interesting but i feel like it takes a lot of setup to work.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Not a lot of setup to "dimir cast your poo poo"

https://scryfall.com/search?q=ci%3Ddimir+f%3Aedh+o%3A%22you+may+cast%22

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

this dude seems super interesting but i feel like it takes a lot of setup to work.

Here's what I tossed together: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/q4mJvQAn-UuwMoMSC5V7bA

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah it’s basically the same stuff you’d use running a Tasha list, but you also get red.

Biggest thing to remember is that Dimir isn’t big on casting opponents’ stuff for free, so you want to run plenty of mana rocks to generate all the extra mana you’ll want to use.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Looking for some recommendations for a new EDH deck to get.
Im finding it a bit difficult to browse EDHRec and get a good read on what the various commanders and themes do and play.

Im looking for decks with strong identities/themes, where the commander is important but where the deck works fine without it in play.
(e.g. Erriette is too important and when she is not in play the deck is pretty bad, whereas e.g. Yuriko is very useful but the ninjas can win without her)

I really enjoy card draw, casting a lot of permanents, generally a defensive playstyle. I do not like oppressive cards (e.g. Sheoldred) and would rather i gain 2 life when an opponent draws a card than them loosing 2 life. I absolutely hate infect/poison so i do not want that in my decks, nor do i enjoy counterspells, stealing enemy permanents, etc.
My playgroup is primarily a social thing, we were friends for years before we discovered we had all played MTG when teenagers, so if a game lasts 2 hours thats not really a big deal. (not looking for a deck that locks the game down completely though. Stax?)
My favorite deck is my Go-Shintai enchantment deck, i cover the battlefield with permanents but im not really doing much else.
I have plenty of tribal decks so im probably filled up on those.

Codie spellslinger and Omnath landfall looks interesting but would really appreciate more suggestions.

Decks i have:
Go-Shintai
Ur-Dragon
Atraxa +1+1
Krenko
Lathril
Yuriko
Frodo food/Lifegain
Ghyrson Starn

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Looking for some recommendations for a new EDH deck to get.
Im finding it a bit difficult to browse EDHRec and get a good read on what the various commanders and themes do and play.

Im looking for decks with strong identities/themes, where the commander is important but where the deck works fine without it in play.
(e.g. Erriette is too important and when she is not in play the deck is pretty bad, whereas e.g. Yuriko is very useful but the ninjas can win without her)

I really enjoy card draw, casting a lot of permanents, generally a defensive playstyle. I do not like oppressive cards (e.g. Sheoldred) and would rather i gain 2 life when an opponent draws a card than them loosing 2 life. I absolutely hate infect/poison so i do not want that in my decks, nor do i enjoy counterspells, stealing enemy permanents, etc.
My playgroup is primarily a social thing, we were friends for years before we discovered we had all played MTG when teenagers, so if a game lasts 2 hours thats not really a big deal. (not looking for a deck that locks the game down completely though. Stax?)
My favorite deck is my Go-Shintai enchantment deck, i cover the battlefield with permanents but im not really doing much else.
I have plenty of tribal decks so im probably filled up on those.

Codie spellslinger and Omnath landfall looks interesting but would really appreciate more suggestions.

Decks i have:
Go-Shintai
Ur-Dragon
Atraxa +1+1
Krenko
Lathril
Yuriko
Frodo food/Lifegain
Ghyrson Starn

Some sort of ETB-focused deck might be up your alley. Roon, Inalla, Riku, and Yarok come to mind. They all have Blue so you can play the new Virtue, Thassa, Conjurer's Closet, Panharmonicon, etc. Roon has White for Teleportation Circle and Elesh Norn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You could try Isshin Two Heavens As One "control", which is basically a "let's you and him fight" deck. Lots of goad, "draw if you attack my opponents", "take damage if you attack me" kind of effects, with black card draw and white removal. It plays very differently from a typical EDH deck, very political, but instead of being stax-y, it actually encourages your opponents to swing hard... just not at you. It wins by encouraging your opponents to weaken each other by goading their creatures and making it punishing to attack you, then knocking them out with standard Isshin stuff like Duelist's Heritage and Fervent Charge.

It does function better with Isshin on the field, but he's not essential by any means since all he does is double up your triggers, not create them in the first place. And it doesn't require anything super expensive, either. Even the reserve list card I run in it (Koskun Falls) is so obscure and out of left field (and printed in Homelands, lol) that it's sub-$10. The most expensive cards are Iroas God of Victory and Savai Triome at $13 each.

Isshin is honestly my favorite commander. There's so much sneaky poo poo that he buffs that aren't just "when you attack make a token". He doubles up any triggers from your permanents caused by something attacking, which includes stuff like Curse of Opulence or Breena the Demagogue.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

My personal favourite ETB commander is Araumi of the Dead Tide. You remove the need to play lovely 5 mana do-nothing artifacts and replace it with a much easier to fetch and play sundial of the infinite. My preferred wincons in the deck are archon of cruelty and massacre wurm.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The Doctor Who 60th Anniversary Secret Lair is live, should you want to have the Fourteenth Doctor and be able to have all 17 of the 15 Doctors in your deck at the same time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I know it’s not optimal, but I put all the dinos from the Jurassic World Secret Lair in my deck. Going to try and play commander for the first time this weekend.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I know it’s not optimal, but I put all the dinos from the Jurassic World Secret Lair in my deck. Going to try and play commander for the first time this weekend.

If you have fun, you're doing it right.

Not every deck has to be a banger. I still keep making dumb ninja decks.

I have friends who try and make thallid decks work.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I just put Don Andres in my Evelyn deck and called it a day

Batterypowered7 posted:

Some sort of ETB-focused deck might be up your alley. Roon, Inalla, Riku, and Yarok come to mind. They all have Blue so you can play the new Virtue, Thassa, Conjurer's Closet, Panharmonicon, etc. Roon has White for Teleportation Circle and Elesh Norn.

berenzen posted:

My personal favourite ETB commander is Araumi of the Dead Tide. You remove the need to play lovely 5 mana do-nothing artifacts and replace it with a much easier to fetch and play sundial of the infinite. My preferred wincons in the deck are archon of cruelty and massacre wurm.

I have two ETB focused decks, Lagrella the Magpie (wins by comboing to mill everyone or bounce everyone else's permanents) and Preston the Vanisher (wins by going wide with tokens*). Would recommend either.

*It used to have Cathars' Crusade and that got very complicated to sort all the triggers, it was great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PicklePants posted:

If you have fun, you're doing it right.

Not every deck has to be a banger. I still keep making dumb ninja decks.

I have friends who try and make thallid decks work.

I wish more people understood this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish more people understood this.

The trick that causes misunderstanding is that "optimal" and "fun" are not on the same axis but people sometimes treat them like they are. One of the most common conflicts in this thread is someone posts a deck, someone else makes some suggestions, and the suggestions get brushed off as "ah, this deck is for fun and doesn't need to be competitively optimized" when really the suggestions were pointing out the possibility that the deck won't be fun. Especially when the decklist is based off a precon and still includes cards that are off-plan, too slow, or active impediments to the deck's plan.

To the extent that a 1–10 scale means anything (it doesn't), I'd rather play a 3 that has no dead cards for its plan but a low power level than a deck that's ostensibly a 6 or 7 when it works, but runs the risk of my opening hand being four lands and three 5+ drops or of my middle turns being "draw, go" because my cards can't do anything or of any number of other situations this thread is good at finding and pointing out, because those situations are not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's worth noting that to some, optimal is fun. I used to think that way, but ever since my LGS closed I've been a bit more meh on cEDH because I don't really have the drive to collect a bunch of cards to just play on webcam and maybe go to a tournament with or something... but I've had a handful of ideas for fun high-power casual decks for whenever I want to come back to it.