Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

teethgrinder posted:

Happened to me once (like twenty years ago)... but I was the only guy with a group of women. Whoever it was was probably trying to get one of them with our drinks all together on the table. Most trashed I'd ever felt, after 1.5 drinks, and it took every ounce of my willpower to get home. Sketchy after-hours place. Live and learn or something.

the first time it happened to me I was an a first date, thankfully the woman I was with and the bartender recognized what was happening and my date took me home with her. (I was a regular at the spot as was she, but not at overlapping times until recently. all these circumstances added up well for me but any one of them having been different would’ve been really bad.) i remember nothing. we dated for about a year after that.

and yes, I’m positive none of the folks I described as helpful were responsible for slipping the mickey or intending me harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at having a deathwish because cars made you jaded

car apologia is a deathwish bud

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not gonna die, but you're the one laughing :|

I always love seeing drivers illuminated by the dash screen permanently ruining their low-light vision. Great safety by design everyone.

I feel like virtually zero drivers understand this and never adjust their dashboard dimmer or anything

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
How do people not remember their mom/dad screaming at them for turning on the overhead light in the car when driving in the dark????

edit: vvv you aren't wrong vvv

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Dec 12, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Overhead light poo poo absolutely doesn't matter anymore now that the night sky is completely starless and every car you pass is shining its LED floodlights directly into your windshield

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
I refuse to drive at night and it infuriates my family when I insist on leaving gatherings during the daylight (they unfortunately all live in a place that can only be accessed by car)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

I refuse to drive at night and it infuriates my family when I insist on leaving gatherings during the daylight (they unfortunately all live in a place that can only be accessed by car)

It sounds like you just don't like your family.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Ham Equity posted:

It sounds like you just don't like your family.

I'll like em a lot less if I die in some bullshit car accident

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Driving at night is easy mode.

Everything else on the road either identifies itself with blazing beacons (car friends) or it’s poo poo that you don’t have to worry about (pedestrians).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

Does your Google maps not have the bike option?

literally doesn't:

though i wouldn't use it if it did either, google maps is loving atrocious for non-car navigation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Everything else on the road either identifies itself with blazing beacons (car friends) or it’s poo poo that you don’t have to worry about (pedestrians).
I'm going to have to have to agree with LIterallyABikeshop on this one

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Platystemon posted:

biking at night on the other hand rules and you can bet I have insanely bright lights that drivers can see from a mile+ away

mystes
May 31, 2006

Biking at night would rule more if there weren't cars

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

lobster shirt posted:

everyone should drive a golf cart instead of a huge truck

Move to The Villages and you too can get run over by boomers running golf carts at 60 miles an hour with 0 crash protection or belt restraints.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

webcams for christ posted:

you need to start going to better bars

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Truga posted:

google maps is loving atrocious for non-car navigation

I find it works fine for walking and public transport, but the bike directions are loving insane. It will literally double the length of your trip and take you out of your way to ensure you get onto a scenic bike path. It'll take pointless diversions off a street and then back onto it (left, right, right, left or vice versa). You'll have to add multiple waypoints along a single street to keep it going in a straight line. There are some corners it refuses to take, so even adding a waypoint just makes it go right up to the corner before turning around and going back to where it originally wanted to. It's annoying as poo poo.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

are there any apps or devices that reliably do turn-by-turn cycling directions? like my garmin edge doesn't reliably know the difference between road and gravel.

I feel like the only way to be really safe is Strava, but that's only beforehand, not on the fly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

everyone should drive a golf cart instead of a huge truck

been saying this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

withak posted:

I blew a friend's mind when I turned the brightness down on their infotainment display to a reasonable level.

its cool how being an early android adopter empowers one to know how to fish for all this poo poo in all these piece of poo poo electronics lol. or i guess also a linux user. anyone who's, uh, "YOSPOS" brained. so they say

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

ive never felt my life was in danger at a bar

i got threatened by a big beefy lunk once... for trolling him IRL

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Overhead light poo poo absolutely doesn't matter anymore now that the night sky is completely starless and every car you pass is shining its LED floodlights directly into your windshield
Automatic brights are the bane of my night-adapted vision. They won't dim unless they see oncoming light, I've got to blast *my* high beam, and now we're both blind, great work, A+

lobster shirt posted:

ive never felt my life was in danger at a bar
lmao this is not an achievement. The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable at a bar is when I got sexually harassed by someone my friend had to physically remove because I didn't feel comfortable doing it, and it's 100% down to being a white cis/het dude. I've had to stand up for women/minority friends SO many times.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 10:37 on Dec 12, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

local man takes photo of pedestrian death once a month from same place for a whole year

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i say swears online posted:

local man takes photo of pedestrian death once a month from same place for a whole year

Autolemma (2022)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

gonna have to plan a trip to Paris next year. only 4.5 hours by train

https://x.com/slucy/status/1734282763128250419

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike out to the animal bite clinic today to get some rabies shots. It's nice being able to avoid all the traffic, especially during this time of the year when the holiday rush means traffic is crushingly bad.

I also noticed that cycling makes the city a lot more navigable, because you can stop [almost] whenever you want, take out your phone, and get your bearings. The clinic was in a part of town I'd never been to before, but I could pause every other street corner to make sure I was going the right way. If you go down the wrong way, just get off your bike and walk back! If I was in a car I'd probably be driving around in circles and/or risking getting a ticket for doing something I shouldn't have because I wasn't familiar enough with the area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sorry that you got bitten by an animal, relieved that you don’t live in the United States where those shots are several thousand dollars.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

I’m sorry that you got bitten by an animal, relieved that you don’t live in the United States where those shots are several thousand dollars.

thank you

my insurance covered the first round of shots. They're expensive enough that I was going to hit my policy's coverage limit for animal bites if I got the second (and third) shots at a private hospital (which was the closest facility right after I got bit) ...

... but fortunately the government-run animal bite clinics do them for free, as long as you're willing to go in the morning to beat the lines.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

are there any apps or devices that reliably do turn-by-turn cycling directions? like my garmin edge doesn't reliably know the difference between road and gravel.

I feel like the only way to be really safe is Strava, but that's only beforehand, not on the fly

i use komoot since all the basic features are free and it suits my needs, though tbf i dunno how strava works because they require a login to even try it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is this just saying be careful right after sunset?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I find it works fine for walking and public transport, but the bike directions are loving insane. It will literally double the length of your trip and take you out of your way to ensure you get onto a scenic bike path. It'll take pointless diversions off a street and then back onto it (left, right, right, left or vice versa). You'll have to add multiple waypoints along a single street to keep it going in a straight line. There are some corners it refuses to take, so even adding a waypoint just makes it go right up to the corner before turning around and going back to where it originally wanted to. It's annoying as poo poo.
Isn't this down to map quality? In most places I've been it's "fine", tho never great.

:gizz:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

evil_bunnY posted:

Isn't this down to map quality? In most places I've been it's "fine", tho never great.
Nah, there's definitely got to be some weighting in there that's telling it to use bike paths at all costs, and some other bullshit that's making it suggest the little side-street diversions. It doesn't do that for walking or driving directions, so there's some difference in how it picks the route that shouldn't be there - because you can force it to take the straight line route, it'll just fight you every step of the way to get back to its preferred route.

The thing about the weird corners it refuses to use could be a map issue though? Somehow those corners may have been marked as impossible to travel through on a bike? But it's weirdly common on otherwise unremarkable streets.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bike directions are non-trivial because there's no real way for the computer to tell how good a given road is for biking, not that google particularly seems interested in trying to improve it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I think this thread is mostly insane people but this is unironically ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

sounds like you agree with the thread of mostly insane people then

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Regarde Aduck posted:

thinking about the effects cars have on society too much does make you insane

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

When I first started using it, Google Maps was amazing for biking in Toronto. I was blown away it could take me on back (paved) trails through parklands and stuff. Even in suburbia. It used to be very current with closures as well.

It went to complete poo poo at some point since COVID and regularly tries to steer me through closed routes and doesn't have a clue how to get me home from unfamiliar places any longer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

Bike directions are non-trivial because there's no real way for the computer to tell how good a given road is for biking, not that google particularly seems interested in trying to improve it
RIght, I think that's pretty close. Google absolutely gives zerzo poo poo about improving it, and it's a difficult problem to begin with.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Google gives plenty fine bike directions in Denmark in my experience, have you tried updating your infrastructure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
it's 32F here and had an INSANELY nice 5-minute bike ride to work. Thanks to poagies, studded tires and a balaclava, I was insanely warm and safe. Would have walked but I was running late to a meeting that I didn't actually have